Author Topic: Best HTPC keyboard with mouse for use with KODI (formerly XBMC)  (Read 13531 times)

Offline hadees

I'm looking for a good keyboard to use with my KODI (formerly XBMC) setup.  I've had a really hard time finding one.  Additional points if you can figure out a way for me to put KODI's key controllers onto the keyboard.  People who use my system get kind of confused with my current keyboard what the controls are.

Offline Megaweapon

Re: Best HTPC keyboard with mouse for use with KODI (formerly XBMC)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 14:47:00 »
IOGEAR GKM561R

Only down side is using the media buttons in the dark.  After a while you can find the important ones by feel, but it could really use some glow in the dark play/pause/volume/etc. symbol stickers.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline lucaslink

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 15:53:29 »
logitech k830. backlit. battery lasts forEVEr. owned it over 2 months and have yet to charge it. returned a few other ones before settling on this one. picked it up on sale for $80CAD. super awesome. love mine.
controller keys in R1.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/living-room-keyboard-k830

Offline skiwithpete

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 21:23:03 »
I actually made a youtube video about this exact question.

TLDR; Logitech K400 is my fav of the stuff tested
Co-Founder of 1upkeyboards.com

QFR Brown + PokerII Clear

Offline starscream

• I have nothing to say
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 05:33:18 »

Great video

k400 has been my favourite too

Poker                                 HHKB Pro 2

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 06:34:31 »
I got an old Logitech DiNovo mini used and it's still going strong after 2 years of abuse by the kids. Backlit too.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline yomammary

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 07:11:50 »
Holy **** thank you guys. I'm using some weird combination but I'll be looking into those.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 07:15:32 »

Holy **** thank you guys. I'm using some weird combination but I'll be looking into those.

For Kodi why don't you just use a WMC remote?  It should already know all the commands and buttons; do you really need to type very often?

I have been using Plex for a very long time (was alpha tester!) and we mainly use a WMC remote hooked up to a USB receiver. Then we grab the keyboard if there's something that needs to be typed, which isn't often these days.

Having the remote makes it more "wife proof". She doesn't like to feel like she's using a computer to watch TV. :D
I'm back.

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 07:59:41 »

Great video

k400 has been my favourite too

+1

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 11:52:34 »

For Kodi why don't you just use a WMC remote?  It should already know all the commands and buttons; do you really need to type very often?

I have been using Plex for a very long time (was alpha tester!) and we mainly use a WMC remote hooked up to a USB receiver. Then we grab the keyboard if there's something that needs to be typed, which isn't often these days.

Having the remote makes it more "wife proof". She doesn't like to feel like she's using a computer to watch TV. :D

Definitely this. They're super cheap and should be automatically configured. Hit up http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/ for custom configuration if necessary. It also has an autohotkey script to launch xbmc (I just can't call it kodi) with the big green button.

Also, if you don't need a wireless keyboard, I'm a big fan of the TG3 data 911 cop car keyboards. $25 or less for a high quality, compact, back-lit, mechanical keyboard with a decent track pad. On mine I ended up getting a 1x window key from tg3 and remapping the bottom row in the registry to include it.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 12:51:43 »

I use a WMC remote but I also use a Logitech Harmony to control the volume. I guess I should make it learn the WMC controls and then it would work ok.
But I also need to type sometimes, which is annoying.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline gosinger

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 23:47:37 »
I have re-purposed an old android tablet as a permanent guest on my couch, running yatse. Includes a few nice options (i.e. disable lock-screen, streaming to android, browse library, etc), and is connected via WiFi so I don't have to deal with IR or BT connections. One of the few pieces of mobile apps I was happily willing to pay for.

I've gotten quite used to it and blind operation even on a touch-screen isn't an issue at all.
Bolt-modded 1391403 | Ducky Shine 3 slim (MX-blue)

Offline yomammary

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 07:29:34 »
I have re-purposed an old android tablet as a permanent guest on my couch, running yatse. Includes a few nice options (i.e. disable lock-screen, streaming to android, browse library, etc), and is connected via WiFi so I don't have to deal with IR or BT connections. One of the few pieces of mobile apps I was happily willing to pay for.

I've gotten quite used to it and blind operation even on a touch-screen isn't an issue at all.
I also have the iOS remote... too many options.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:40:51 »

This is very cool.  I wish there was something like this for Plex on Roku.
I'm back.

Offline lucaslink

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 22:05:57 »

*whoa*. this looks worthy of picking up a cheap droid for.

Offline Ultimo

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 18:32:33 »
I'm looking for a good keyboard to use with my KODI (formerly XBMC) setup.  I've had a really hard time finding one.  Additional points if you can figure out a way for me to put KODI's key controllers onto the keyboard.  People who use my system get kind of confused with my current keyboard what the controls are.

Im using my Logitech K400 and the premium version of Yatse app for Android on my phone.
That app is seriously insane, it lets you stream media from  your phone directly to Kodi. (raspberry pi 2)

And when your playing something on your xbmc/kodi device it also lets you stream to your device.
It also features an interactive addon browsing stuff, so you can remotely select a film from genesis addon and subtitles, then if you have set up you tv and receiver the right way.
Select the movie and everything will turn on and start playing in a couple of secs :O

Offline yomammary

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 07:06:51 »

Im using my Logitech K400 and the premium version of Yatse app for Android on my phone.
That app is seriously insane, it lets you stream media from  your phone directly to Kodi. (raspberry pi 2)

And when your playing something on your xbmc/kodi device it also lets you stream to your device.
It also features an interactive addon browsing stuff, so you can remotely select a film from genesis addon and subtitles, then if you have set up you tv and receiver the right way.
Select the movie and everything will turn on and start playing in a couple of secs :O
Wow ok, this is worth checking out.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:12:44 »

Thanks for the review. I've been using a K400 for quite some time but I've been looking at getting something like the Rii X1, and now I think I'll go ahead and grab one. Thanks again!

Offline yomammary

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 07:25:42 »

Thanks for the review. I've been using a K400 for quite some time but I've been looking at getting something like the Rii X1, and now I think I'll go ahead and grab one. Thanks again!
Nice, thanks!
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800