Author Topic: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%  (Read 167101 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:27:27 »
And 7bit seems to care somewhat, as he monitors things here. He's just not active in discussions.

I would have to agree. Although he's not active here, he's seems to keep up to date. That and also because he's has plans to do a 40% board called Hyper as well.  :cool:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #251 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:32:44 »
Okay, so I know this is not even near group buy status yet, but I do want to recommend something to everyone who is interested in getting one (eventually). As you probably know by now, 7bit is running Doubleshot Replacements Round 5 (Honeywell) at Deskthority. These are SA-profile (thick) double shot ABS keycaps from Signature Plastics.

He has included (at snoopy's suggestion) a kit specifically designed for this layout. To order the keycaps for this 40% keyboard, you would need to order:

HONEY/FORTY
HONEY/SPACE625

Big thanks to 7bit for including this set in his group buy!! :thumb:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/doubleshot-replacements-round-5-honey-sphericals-t6732.html

This is perfect.  Now I can get in on this GB but still have it be affordable!  Only $45 to outfit this 40% with some nice keycaps.   :thumb:

Offline PJE

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:27:18 »
I'd love one of these keyboards with the space bar split into three (two wider keys and a central 1x1).

I might have a go after I finish my 20% keyboard... If the PCBs ever arrive!

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 18:56:55 »
Now that I saw the 4 unit space bar in the deskthority round 5 gb, it makes me wonder why a 4 unit space bar isn't used for this 40% board.

You can probably fit two more key caps in the bottom row with a 4 unit space bar.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:09:48 »
I'd rather go with 2x 2.5 spacebars on either side and a 1.25u key in the center. Because you are generally hitting the spacebar on the sides.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #255 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:12:22 »
No split spacebars. Sorry. You want split spacebars, small spacebars, etc. you are welcome to create your own project.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:20:09 »
Hahahahah, not a fan myself, I said, I'd "rather" a split than small, but would prefer a large one if I have to use staggered layout.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:56:46 »
Just throwing this out there.  Would it be potentially possible to program macros with the keymap tool that 'metalliqaz' has built for the epsilon in order to create a second function layer.  Something like a Shift + Function layer?

I would probably put things like; caps lock, home, end, esc, in the Fn + Shift layer.  I don't mind picking up both hands for those types of operations. 

Current function layer:

If something like this is possible, then we free up some real estate in the Fn layer. 

Just a thought.  Please tell me if I am speaking crazy...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:00:00 »
Just throwing this out there.  Would it be potentially possible to program macros with the keymap tool that 'metalliqaz' has built for the epsilon in order to create a second function layer.  Something like a Shift + Function layer?

I would probably put things like; caps lock, home, end, esc, in the Fn + Shift layer.  I don't mind picking up both hands for those types of operations. 

Current function layer:
Show Image

If something like this is possible, then we free up some real estate in the Fn layer. 

Oh it's definitely possible. Check out hasu's TMK firmware thread in addition to metalliqaz' Epsilon thread. The possibilities are great.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:36:27 »

Current function layer:
Show Image

Oh it's definitely possible. Check out hasu's TMK firmware thread in addition to metalliqaz' Epsilon thread. The possibilities are great.

Very cool.  Ya, there are a lot of possibilities then.  That top function row has a lot of potential.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:46:33 »
MY GOAL: Make a 40% board viable and hopefully intuitive for software developers (aka - Me)...

Here is what I have come up with so far.  Note: Top print is the default layer, bottom print is 'shift' layer...
Standard layer...
41551-0

Function layer...
41553-1

My considerations:
- I added support for Ins, Del, Return and Caps in the standard layer.
- I dramatically changed the way the function layer worked.
- Function row should not take up 12 keys.  I tend to use the function keys in groups, so I created groups of 3 for them.
- I moved the numbers and their symbols to a numpad style and added things near the pad that would be often used with numbers: . + - * / Enter
- I added Ctrl support in the function layer because I often use things like 'Ctrl + [' and 'Ctrl +]' for indenting and such in text editors (also commenting blocks and such)
- I tend to use two hands for brackets and braces anyway, so I created bracket and braces group in the middle of the keyboard.
- I tried to keep the keys like: ' " : ; = + - _ \ ? / | closer to where they are in my muscle memory. 
- I added support for Pg Up and Pg Dn
- Edit: I intentionally did not add a 'Fn + Shift' layer for 'up, down, left, right, home, end' because I use those as selection modification.

As a side note.  I did two color keycaps because that is how I would probably build this for myself.  If I am using blank keycaps, I would want some points of reference.  This is just my preference... 

Last but not least...  Here are links for you to build your own 40 layouts...

Standard Layer

Function Layer
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 16:26:58 by swill »

Offline JulienC

• Esc Artist
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:45:31 »
MY GOAL: Make a 40% board viable and hopefully intuitive for software developers (aka - Me)...

Here is what I have come up with so far.  Note: Top print is the default layer, bottom print is 'shift' layer...
Standard layer...
(Attachment Link)

Function layer...
(Attachment Link)

My considerations:
- Function row should not take up 12 keys.  I tend to use the function keys in groups, so I created groups of 3 for them.
- I moved the numbers and their symbols to a numpad style and added things near the pad that would be often used with numbers: . + - * / Enter
- I added Ctrl support in the function layer because I often use things like 'Ctrl + [' and 'Ctrl +]' for indenting and such in text editors (also commenting blocks and such)
- I tend to use two hands for brackets and braces anyway, so I created bracket and braces group in the middle of the keyboard.
- I tried to keep the keys like: ' " : ; = + - _ \ ? / | closer to where they are in my muscle memory. 

As a side note.  I did two color keycaps because that is how I would probably build this for myself.  If I am using blank keycaps, I would want some points of reference.  This is just my preference... 

Standard Layer

Function Layer

Looks great, I'd want to try that.
The only thing I would change is leave the Ctrl key next to the 'A' key on both layers.

Edit: The Tab key is useful, but in vim you can use Ctrl+t in insert mode, and >> in command mode to insert tabs, so I would put the Tab key on the bottom row in the standard layer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:52:29 by JulienC »

HHKB

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #262 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 16:17:01 »
Looks great, I'd want to try that.
The only thing I would change is leave the Ctrl key next to the 'A' key on both layers.

Edit: The Tab key is useful, but in vim you can use Ctrl+t in insert mode, and >> in command mode to insert tabs, so I would put the Tab key on the bottom row in the standard layer.

Tab is hardcoded into my brain to be up and left on a keyboard and I use tab all the time, so for me it makes sense there.  The great thing about programmable controllers and keymap softwares is that you could make that change easily in your setup...

This layout is not going to be everything for everyone.  This was my first attempt to make a usable layout for a coder...

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #263 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 19:41:14 »
I just need 1 more key

It'd be two keys but I shrank the shift keys to shove an extra in row two. As a (some times) coder (bash, vim) I really want the punctuation to be accessible (well, there's novel writing in November, too) but again, if I were to have a 40% I'd carry it around to work on other folk's computers without tweaking their layout, etc.

So maybe I should just yank 'H' as well as 'B' and shove 'em somewhere on the third layer. Edit-before-posting: Ignore the colors. I can't see 'em on FF as I have that turned off.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #264 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:16:25 »
I just need 1 more key

It'd be two keys but I shrank the shift keys to shove an extra in row two. As a (some times) coder (bash, vim) I really want the punctuation to be accessible (well, there's novel writing in November, too) but again, if I were to have a 40% I'd carry it around to work on other folk's computers without tweaking their layout, etc.

So maybe I should just yank 'H' as well as 'B' and shove 'em somewhere on the third layer. Edit-before-posting: Ignore the colors. I can't see 'em on FF as I have that turned off.

Do you really need alt and ctrl on both sides of the board? 

You should be able to add a shift layer to your WinKey or Alt on either side.

Or maybe put Esc into the function layer and use that shift layer something.  What key are you missing?
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:18:00 by swill »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #265 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:32:22 »

Standard layer...
(Attachment Link)

Function layer...
(Attachment Link)

My considerations:
- Edit: I intentionally did not add a 'Fn + Shift' layer for 'up, down, left, right, home, end' because I use those as selection modification.

Standard Layer

Function Layer

Here is another version of my Fn layer which gives you Alt and Ctrl with the Shift and Fn cluster on the right and moves the Home / End into the 'Fn' layer and moved the Pg Up and Pg Dn into the 'Shift + Fn' layer.

Function Layer 2...
41611-0

Here is its code...
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:35:05 by swill »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:42:25 »
This is an exciting project. Having the layout generator is great for riffing off others ideas, so thanks for those. Unfortunately, all I have to offer will be my cash when they become available to buy. I've ordered a 40% set from Round 5 in preparation.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:52:23 »
Ooph. Looks like things are coming together for the SmallFry. That stainless steel variant looks sexy as ****. I apologize if this has been answered previous, but do we have a timeline on getting a stainless steel case/PCB GB together for this? And any idea on a ballpark cost?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:04:38 »
Dammit.  I have no need for one of this keyboard.  Yet I had a strange desire for one.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:29:36 »
This is looking amazing.  Really liking all the flexibility of layouts on the pcb, especially considering the tiny footprint. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 00:51:48 »
Now to squeeze in bluetooth and it will become quite the favorite tablet keyboard :D

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 00:55:38 »
I won't need anything else except for this and a qazpad. Maybe an ergodox. And maybe a topre board. But nothing else. Except novelty caps

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 02:41:55 »
It starts out innocently enough.

Then you're diving through bins looking for boards to rescue and finally you're buying keyboards you can't even connect to a PC.

Offline regack

« Reply #273 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 06:12:06 »

Then you're diving through bins looking for boards to rescue and finally you're buying keyboards you can't even connect to a PC.

... then you go out and buy a used SparcStation because they're cheap now, and you can then use your Sun Type 5 keyboards for... uhh... something

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 08:38:07 »

... then you go out and buy a used SparcStation because they're cheap now, and you can then use your Sun Type 5 keyboards for... uhh... something

Those are about as useful as a poopie-flavored lolly pop.

Offline regack

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 08:54:43 »

Those are about as useful as a poopie-flavored lolly pop.

The Sparcstation IPX was small before small was cool... plus you can gut one pretty easily and put a mini-itx board inside, but now we're pretty far off topic :D

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #276 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 09:42:45 »

God you're right, last night I was looking at a heathkit H19 keyboard. I've also been itching a bit to pick up an old terminal, simply to run off of my work desktop (which runs Linux). You guys are bad. I thought it was hazardous for my wallet when I fell in with the fountain pen crowd.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 15:33:35 »
Just had to pop in to say that this little keyboard is beautiful!

It's the only staggered layout board I actually still want!  :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #278 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 17:31:54 »
whoa.. first time seeing a 40%. pretty neat. not a fan of not having dedicated arrow keys, but I'd definitely try this little guy out!
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #279 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 20:15:17 »

/hides Ultra 60 and Type 5 keyboard with mouse (I think the mouse is still around... somewhere).

I have no idea what you're talking about.

>.>
<.<

Luckily in my case, it was a box my employer was going to pay to have someone remove.  I helped them out.  Kinda wish I'd grabbed the HP itaniums with HP-UX on them.  Just cause.  I mean, those should be able to run OpenVMS so I'd have one of each!

For... no good reason since I can already run OpenVMS on emulated Alphas or VAX and it's a lot easier on the electricity bill ;)  Though I wouldn't have HP-UX.  Which... is fine with me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 November 2013, 20:18:08 by Niomosy »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 21:04:40 »
Do you know when this is going into GB phase?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 21:09:43 »
Still plenty of development, testing. We need to test full LED support, PCB mounted switch/stabs, SMD components, firmware.

Therefore, not anytime soon.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 19:46:16 »
Then we'll see an ErgoDox (style) minimalist board along these lines because... why not?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #284 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 20:23:24 »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 21:04:29 »
This is awesome

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #286 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 04:54:20 »
Just a reminder:
Whoever plans to buy the smallfry keyboard, should have a look at round5: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5

HONEY/FORTY  -- gives you a complete set of keycaps that fits perfectly and contains some unique keys, specially for the 40% keyboard, for only 35$
HONEY/SPACE625  -- a matching spacebar for only 3$

and if you want, you can additionally order some keyboardrunners in the right profile (row2) for the toprow of this board:

HONEY/KBDRUNNER/RED/R2  -- 1$

So guys, order some kits. And if you already ordered, order some additional kbdrunners in row2 :)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #287 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 19:06:50 »
Just a reminder:
Whoever plans to buy the smallfry keyboard, should have a look at round5: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5

HONEY/FORTY  -- gives you a complete set of keycaps that fits perfectly and contains some unique keys, specially for the 40% keyboard, for only 35$

and if you want, you can additionally order some keyboardrunners in the right profile (row2) for the toprow of this board:

So guys, order some kits. And if you already ordered, order some additional kbdrunners in row2 :)

when's the deadline?

Offline regack

« Reply #288 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 19:13:55 »
Just a reminder:

when's the deadline?

Unless it changed... it was yesterday.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #289 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 19:14:36 »
Just a reminder:

when's the deadline?

welp, at least I don't have that much on me anyways

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 02:22:52 »

Just a reminder:

when's the deadline?

welp, at least I don't have that much on me anyways

You can still order! ;)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #291 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 17:46:33 »
I lost my stabilizer stems

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 18:26:30 »
I need one  :eek:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #293 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:03:35 »
btw, that's the same orange that Ming is using in the panavise powder coat, but without the pearl.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #294 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:08:51 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Damnnn that orange is slick ;o

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:58:50 »
Looking good. Looking very good.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 20:01:55 »
Nice work my good man

EDIT: May I?
46848-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2013, 20:34:13 by metalliqaz »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #297 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 22:25:22 »
Nice work my good man

(Attachment Link)

Your software is going to get a serious workout once I get my 40%.  :)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:25:01 »
Nice work my good man

(Attachment Link)

Now I have to buy a GH40

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:32:48 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

looks so good... I hope development process runs well and we soon see a gb for this.

Nice work my good man

(Attachment Link)

Now I have to buy a GH40

and then cancel it?