Author Topic: ANODIZING for aluminum poker cases  (Read 56272 times)

Offline Elrobo

ANODIZING for aluminum poker cases
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 20:05:30 »
Sticking with polished because hey it's a slight gamble, might turn out perfect, plus I won't see it too often unless the front is mangled or something.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 20:08:57 »
oneproduct: how noticeable would you say the pits were when viewed from a reasonable distance? also, were they big enough to feel if you brushed your hand over them? i love the mirror finish, but i don't want gaping holes anodized into it. if they're pretty minor imperfections that's fine, and i'll keep the polishing on my blue (although i wouldn't object if they wanted to put a tiny bit of filler material in and polish and anodize over more noticeable pitting...). if you think they're pretty noticeable, i'll go with the safer option.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 20:37:19 »
Quote from: ekw808;594274
Ok, in that case I'll take mine brushed then I dont want to see those pits

Confirmed.

Quote from: Elrobo;594279
Sticking with polished because hey it's a slight gamble, might turn out perfect, plus I won't see it too often unless the front is mangled or something.

Yea, I'm sticking with polished too. Also I'll be taking the ones that come out the worst for myself so that you guys get the nicer ones.

Quote from: mkawa;594282
oneproduct: how noticeable would you say the pits were when viewed from a reasonable distance? also, were they big enough to feel if you brushed your hand over them? i love the mirror finish, but i don't want gaping holes anodized into it. if they're pretty minor imperfections that's fine, and i'll keep the polishing on my blue (although i wouldn't object if they wanted to put a tiny bit of filler material in and polish and anodize over more noticeable pitting...). if you think they're pretty noticeable, i'll go with the safer option.

I only really looked at it from pretty close up, but from far away (i.e. maybe a person sitting one seat to your side) I doubt you'd really notice. Unless you're really scrutinizing it, I think the second picture I put up is probably already closer than most people would look at the case from (the camera is close enough that the case fills its entire vision) and from that distance you can see that the holes are already pretty small. The other two pictures I took of it are super zoomed in. Also keep in mind that these pits were on the bottom so it's not like you'll be seeing them anyways. I don't think there were any on the walls, though that doesn't guarantee that there couldn't be any.

I didn't try to run my fingers over them, but I doubt you'd feel them. They're pretty small, when he mentioned it over the phone I thought it would be something really bad but when I got there my first reaction was like "oh, that's it?" It's also a question of how picky you are, and I know a lot of us are pretty picky. I'm not bothered by it personally. But again, my first concern is that people are happy, so if you have doubts, going with the safer option might be good.

-----

For anybody else who would like to change, you have to let me know before around 7am EST tomorrow, May 17 (12pm GMT). I'll be calling first thing in the morning to tell them to make the appropriate number changes and go ahead.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 20:49:20 »
Also, the pits would probably be less noticeable on blue because there would be less contrast between them and the case.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 21:01:17 »
Surprisingly (to myself, even), I still want to go polished.
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 23:45:04 »
ok i'm sticking to polished. will also pm you oneproduct.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 23:49:15 »
I'm going to stick with polished.  It's what convinced me to join this GB in the first place :)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 06:28:26 »
Alright, I'm going to be calling them now with the changed polishing/brushing quantities. If you haven't already chimed in I'm keeping it how you already had it.

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 07:10:41 »
Shouldn't be too noticeable I don't think, still keen4polish!
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline Blackhawk19

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 14:17:03 »
Let's be honest, who is really going to be turning over the keyboard and looking at the underside to complain about the pits on a regular basis...

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 14:18:11 »
you must be new around here.

Offline metafour

« Reply #211 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 14:24:44 »
Quote from: Blackhawk19;594785
Let's be honest, who is really going to be turning over the keyboard and looking at the underside to complain about the pits on a regular basis...

Part of the concern might be that the pits won't just be on the bottom because they can show up in random places.

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #212 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 14:21:49 »
I still think the polished will look great.  I can't tell you how many times this term comes to mind on this site.  
McRip Effect

Big props to oneproduct for this whole project.  It shows leadership and integrity that he's taking the worst cases for himself.  Much respect for you man.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 22:44:45 »
Are they done yet? Been almost 2 weeks since last update! Can't wait!

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 14:06:59 »
Nothing new yet, and trust me, I'm dying as well. I just got a full set of silver colored zinc keycaps to go with it to have an all metal keyboard!

Offline metafour

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 16:33:49 »
Any word on the progress and status of these?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 06:09:39 »
Last time I spoke with them was when telling them the adjusted quantities for each type of finishing. Nothing since then. That was about two weeks ago.

They are taking quite a bit longer than I expected, but I assume it's because I'm pretty far back in the queue for things. When I went to go visit there was literally like a football field sized area where metal was hanging from kind of clotheslines that spanned the width of the place that they were working on.

Anyways, I'll try to shoot them an email to see what's up. I'm itching to get mine back. I started the tedious task of dremeling the set of zinc keycaps I got from feng to have a full metal keyboard (except for the spacebar). I'm very sorry it's taking this long, when I started all this I never expected it to take the amount of time it's taking now.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 13:37:43 »
Just got this back:

They should be finished in the next couple of days.

Thank you,

[Name removed]
Customer Service - Service à la Clientèle

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 14:04:56 »
About time! ;)  Can't wait to see pics of the polished finish!!!

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 01:29:27 »
The wait will be worth it.

Offline metafour

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 09:03:56 »
Any status updates?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 11:45:33 »
Not since the "in the next couple of days" they told me last week sadly. :/

Offline metafour

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 12:35:33 »
Those savages. ;)

Offline metafour

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 13:52:21 »
I'm really not trying to harass you about this but what's the plan of action? Are you going to wait until they contact you?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #224 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 17:11:41 »
well on the upside they didn't finish them while i was gone, so i can still do the US forwarding :)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #225 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 19:56:54 »
Quote from: metafour;614897
I'm really not trying to harass you about this but what's the plan of action? Are you going to wait until they contact you?

No worries, I don't feel harassed at all. I totally understand and am getting pretty annoyed at them myself with how long they are taking. The actual production of the cases (once all the designing was finished) took less time than this. But on the other hand I have to say that getting angry at them probably won't benefit us that much. I'll contact them again on Monday.

For the record though, I have to say that the person I talk with there quite obviously doesn't treat me as professionally as he probably does with their bigger customers. Probably since I come in wearing plain clothes, I'm young-ish and I'm not a company with a big order. If I ever do something like this again I might try to look for another place as I'm not too impressed with how they went so far over the estimated time they gave me.

@mkawa
I'm going to ship them out directly to everyone myself just to get it out faster once they are done. People have already waited so long, it's not worth saving a few bucks.

---

As a side note, I recently got an IBM Model M SSK and I'm looking for someone in the US to bolt mod it as well as put in a new set of springs, hammers and keycaps which I'd order and have shipped to you (I'd also pay for the bolt modding materials as well of course). If anybody is interested I would pay the cost of anodizing and shipping for one of your cases in exchange for the service.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2012, 20:00:49 by oneproduct »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #226 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 20:58:37 »
sounds good.

also i think i may be able to help you with the bolt modding oneproduct, and i'm going to order a set of caps from unicomp soon too. PM me dude

Offline metafour

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 14:06:53 »
Did they get back to you at all?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 14:19:06 »
unfortunately i'm guessing no. :(

think you can run by oneproduct?

Offline Elrobo

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 20:27:06 »
No scrutiny to oneproduct who I thank for getting all this together, but when he swings by he should swat someone with a rolled up calendar.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 20:47:44 »
I hope it's done by the weekend of July 6th cause I'll be in town for a few days. I can come by to pick it up and save $10 on shipping =D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 20:52:27 »
Quote from: Elrobo;618278
No scrutiny to oneproduct who I thank for getting all this together, but when he swings by he should swat someone with a rolled up calendar.
you canadians are too nice. i think i'd have some choicer words for them

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 22:03:55 »
If only we had easy access to guns here ;)

I send an email earlier today but didn't hear anything back yet.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 16:37:52 »
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, they will be ready on the 26th june…we will call you!!

[name]
Customer Service - Service à la Clientèle

Finally!

Offline KyesaRRi

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 19:22:03 »
Quote from: oneproduct;619819
Finally!

Great news

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 05:52:34 »
otoh this is great, otoh i still want to go there and slap someone.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #236 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 16:13:52 »
I sure can't wait for tomorrow; I hope you're planning on getting some pictures up for us ASAP! :D

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 19:06:01 »
Will definitely put up some pictures and video first thing when I get them. Here's hoping they come out well!

Tomorrow will be pretty much dedicated to getting out the trays for people that did not request me to glue their two pieces together since I can do that fastest. Once those are out, I'll work on getting the others glued and send those out after. Wednesday I have summer classes from 11 am to 11 pm so I won't be able to do much then and will have to wait for Thursday.

That reminds me, I'm going to PM everyone and ask for addresses again because it's been so long that I want to make sure that everyone is still in the same spot.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 19:36:03 »
huge thanks for your dedicated oneproduct!

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 19:56:15 »
Cheers dude!! :bounce:
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:45:53 »
So I just took a peek at shipping costs again, pretty much exactly what I had posted a long time ago.

The cases will be shipping out in boxes that are 12"x6"x2" which are pretty much the smallest boxes I could find that fits a poker. Having sent one of the unanodized cases to boost already, I know that it weighs dangerously close to 1 kg when all packaged up. For destinations outside North America, this isn't a problem since the weight limit for the cheaper shipping options is 2 kg, but for North America it's 1 kg. I actually had to trim off some of the box flaps when I sent it to boost so that it was under 1 kg, it was literally like 50 g overweight before I did that and they wouldn't accept it. I'll pretty confident I'll be able to get it under 1 kg though.

All the shipping prices I'm quoting here are rounded to the nearest dollar from the Canada Post website and you're free to double check for yourself if you like. My postal code is H9R 5L9.

Canada (this one varies greatly with how far you are from Quebec, so I'll have to either let you know individually or you could sort of ballpark it. The first figure is within Quebec, the second is for Vancouver on the other side of Canada)
$9 - $14 ground (3 to 7 days)
$13 - $24 express (1 to 2 days; comes with tracking number)

US
$13 ground (6 to 12 days)
$16 air (4 to 10 days)
$21 expedited (4 days; comes with a tracking number)
--for those that ordered 2 it should be $27 expedited and for those that ordered 3 it should be $29 expedited (the other two methods aren't available for the weight of more than 1 case)

Europe/Australia/Thailand (the latter two are actually like $1 more but it's close enough)
$16 ground (4 to 6 weeks) <-- this is kind of slow sadly, but sending it by air is pretty expensive :S
$35 air (6 to 10 days)
--Note that neither of these come with tracking numbers, the options that do cost as much as the case itself... I've shipped a few things to Europe before without problem though. If something goes missing along the way I'll cover for it.

-------------------

So once I get these back tomorrow and make sure that they're okay, I'll start collecting the remainder for the anodizing and shipping method of your choice. When you pay this amount please tell me the shipping method you would like and if you need me to declare the package a certain way (i.e. as a gift of a certain value, but please only ask if you know you need it declared like that).
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:39:02 by oneproduct »

Offline metafour

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:07:45 »
You only have to worry about the 1kg limit to the US with the ground shipping correct?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:18:44 »
Both with ground and air, but I should be able to get it under. I'll just have to use lighter padding.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:02:39 »
I'll take the Xpress Post - $13.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:22:34 »
my package is going to be huge since it's two cases and your SSK. just do whatever needs to be done to get it here and we'll work it out later.

Offline J-P

Re: ANODIZING for aluminum poker cases
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 04:46:38 »
 ;D Arrived!

Looks awesome too dude.

Only one problem - I can't screw in the board... did I miss something? Do I need to buy some longer screws maybe....
REALFORCE 105u ¦ Leopold FC200RT/ABN ¦ KBC Poker // CST L-Track-X
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 07:40:19 »
There should have been 6 screws included in the package in a ziplock bag, though it's possible I forgot to include it with yours. If that's the case send me a PM and I could send a set in a regular white envelope.

Offline KyesaRRi

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 04 August 2012, 00:11:25 »
Got mine a little while ago, the glue has come off so the plate was rattling around in the case during shipping. There is a little ding on the back of the case but other than those minor issues its perfect.