Author Topic: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Groupbuy up!  (Read 70939 times)

Offline Meijboom

[IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Groupbuy up!
« on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 14:34:01 »

KAM Ocean Front

Hello guys, this is my first set of keycaps called Ocean Front in KAM profile.

The set is based on a beach in the mediterranean sea, to really capture that sunny summer vibe!

You can go true to nature with shiny High Gloss water caps, and a rough textured beach or you can go uniform with a full textured / matte set for a nice typing experience.
You buy each set individually, so if you're not sure wich one is best for you, you can buy an extra water set for not that much extra :)

I tried some different things with the set like multi-keycaps modifiers, different textures. and enough novelties to cover a macropad, or rearrange your own pattern with the shells.

The kits are split into 3 parts.

(kit A) = Sand ( Always Matte / Textured )
(kit B) = Water (High Gloss / Smooth)
(kit C) = Water ( Matte / Textured )

this way one can mix and match to his own liking.

So for a full set you Buy either A + B ( Sand Matte + Glossy Water) or A + C (Sand Matte + Matte Water). Or every set if you want a full set with both the textured matte water caps and smooth glossy water caps ( A+B+C ).

(kit A) =  Always Matte / Textured

(kit B) High Gloss / Smooth

(kit C)  Matte / Textured

Boardrenders!
Icon mods

Text mods

40 kit
40's Diagonal Glossy

40's Straight Matte

Ergodox

Kitting!

Alpha kit
Matte - Glossy
More

TKL Icon mods
Matte - Glossy
More

TKL Text mods
Matte - Glossy
More

Novelties
Matte - Glossy
More

Numpad
More

Ortho kit
Matte - Glossy
More

-2 possible layouts!

ErgoDox Kit

Matte - Glossy
More

2 possible layouts!

North ISO kit

Matte - Glossy
More

UK ISO kit

Matte - Glossy
More

Spacebar kit

Matte - Glossy
More

Deskmat

Samples

Pantone Match
More

Glossy Caps coming soon

Colors
Pantone Color Bridge Coated(glossy) / Uncoated(matte)
From Dark to Light.

Sea Dark 1:   Pantone 3155
Sea Dark 2:   Pantone 3145
Sea Light 3:   Pantone 3135
Sea Light 4:   Pantone 3125

Sand Dark:       Pantone 7508
Sand Medium:  Pantone 7507
Sand Light:      Pantone 7506

Text on Water: Pantone White
Text on Sand: Pantone 7511

Feedback

Please fill in the form if you like to buy the set, or have some feedback.
https://forms.gle/3LN8Kg1Du3i5Nms38

Vendors and GB date

Date: 2 June 2021 till 3 July 2021

US: Keyhive.xyz
CA: Alphakeys.ca
UK: Protozoa.studio
EU: MyKeyboard.eu
Ukraine: Funkeys.com.ua
India: Rectangles.store
Oceania: Dailyclack.com
Asia: zFrontier.com

To Do list from Feedback
  • add 7u spacebar to TKL kit
  • 1u FN key for split shift
  • numpad separate
  • NorDe kit
  • ISO Support
  • Add F Row keys for no-space 75% boards + renders
  • F-row added to mods
  • Add 2U shift
  • Split backspace / ergodox support + renders
  • Add Matte support for ortho
  • Add blank kit This is off the table
  • Colour match the set

Special thanks to
  • Swishy - from the Keycap Designer discord
  • Lizcuits for the renders! - from the Keycap Designer discord
  • DevilZ Nerfworks, Ulliam for awesome help with novelties
This set it made in collaboration with DevilZ' Nerfworks

Update1: added US Vendor, and Custom Cable, added feedback todo's
Update2: added Asia Vendor
Update3: added Oceania Vendor, ergo-dox kits in the works :)
Update4: added new kits ( ISO UK, North), edit on the TKL kit
Update5: added ErgoDox kit :)
Update6: added second ErgoDox kit + matte support, matte add-ons for TKL and alphas, ortho kit updated for diagonal, added 2u shift and split backspace support.
Update7: Colour matched the set, and got the prices in. talking with the vendors now for fair pricing :) will create some nice boardrenders this week.
Update8: final kits added.
Update9: Added CA Vendor - Renders coming
Update10: Added all kit renders, and boardrenders!
Update11: Added Ukraine and India Vendors, new deskmat, ortho and ergodox demo kitrenders
Update12: Added Oceania Vendor
Update13: Groupbuy page setup!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 June 2021, 08:37:13 by Meijboom »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 14:53:15 »
Why blanks instead of legends on the 40's kit? It's a universal profile after all.

Also, some of the legends may be hard to read toward the right side of the gradient. Overall I like it a lot though.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 14:59:59 »
I buy a numpad every set and even I think the numpad should be separated from the alphas

Can the ortho kit fish join the novelties set?

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 15:31:48 »
Why blanks instead of legends on the 40's kit? It's a universal profile after all.

Also, some of the legends may be hard to read toward the right side of the gradient. Overall I like it a lot though.
Thanks!
since it's a gradient I needed to make a lot of different versions of the legends so I went for a blank route. I can try to make the legends cover some 40 kits, and check how much extra caps are needed. will come back to this.

I buy a numpad every set and even I think the numpad should be separated from the alphas

Can the ortho kit fish join the novelties set?
I can split them, but thought it was better to combine them so a base + mods would cover a whole keyboard. what is the downside of including it? I'm new to all of this sorry. I will check what is possible with the fishkit added to the novelties
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 15:35:30 by Meijboom »

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 15:44:27 »
First off, this is fantastic and I want it.

I highly recommend splitting the numpad into its own kit. Since we are working with keyreative MOQ here, there is no reason to combine it with alphas.

You mentioned being unsure about the reason to split off numpad; anyone using anything smaller than a TKL does not need the numpad.

Further, I recommend putting the function keys into the modifiers kit. The alphas kit should be literally just alphas. Check out KAT Explosion or KAT Oasis or KAT Iron for some ideas on kitting. While those are KAT and not KAM profile, you’ll get a better idea for how to make kits for keyreative as the manu.

Good luck! :cool:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 15:53:01 »
love the colors, but the way the gradient is layed out bothers me. It's not a straight diagonal, and it's not where the keyboard split occurs for left and right between the shades of blue and shades of yellow.  What does it look like with the blue shifted to the left one column?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 17:55:43 by pixelpusher »

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 17:19:11 »
I kind of dig it for this. Reminds me of how water rolls over sand

Offline fatherfork

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:05:30 »
I love this. Having the color changes not on a straight diagonal is novel and fits the theme perfectly. How you have it looks great.

I also agree with those recommending to split the numpad keys to its own set.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:51:43 »
I like it & interested in the alpha & 40 kits. Will the the modifiers on the 40s kit have font or icons on them? Mainly asking b/c your current 40s kit mods are blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:27:22 »
Love the set and colors but don't love KAM :(

Offline Swishy

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:39:06 »
I can't wait!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:47:00 »
Reminds me of sex on the beach by myself

Offline heyjaykay

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 21:45:19 »
That CAPSIZE key for the caps lock is so apt... Not a fan of gradient keysets but this looks amazing!

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 00:25:24 »
I just love the fact that the icon mods basically already include all of the (imo) best novelties.
+If you are actually going to be able to achieve the matte/glossy combo, it really is going to be a no brainer for me!

Great job on the set, I'm looking forward to it as my fist ever kam set ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2020, 00:33:47 by fabijolo »

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 03:47:24 »
I really like this – count me in. :)
And stay the course, keep it KAM profile.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 06:18:42 »
The C seems to be the wrong color if you want a diagonal gradient.

And please consider how SA Vilebloom did the ortho kit. It maintains the diagonal gradient as well.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 09:02:51 »

And please consider how SA Vilebloom did the ortho kit. It maintains the diagonal gradient as well.

I believe not being strict diagonal is intentional because the 4 is also a different color. I think its to create a wave effect (tide moving effect).

Offline break

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 10:39:52 »
Absolutely love the colors, and especially the non-standard gradient. It's not just diagonal! Also, mixing matte and gloss finishes is really clever.

Hoping to hear more about this set soon. Well done, best of luck!

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 11:25:29 »
Thanks a lot guys, I added a small ToDo list from feedback that I'm going to work on, so far I'm getting a great response!  :D

Offline frasnow

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 11:32:02 »
I absolutely loved the original design with light blue water posted on Reddit. Looked like the shores of a tropical hideaway. The green makes it look like the freezing cold, disgusting waters of the northern coasts. Does KAM have a similar minimum order quantity to KAT? Any chance we could have both options with inviting, warm light blue water and cold, seaweed-filled green water?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 12:40:39 »
looks so pretty. can't explain why I like this so much.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 14:07:48 »
I absolutely loved the original design with light blue water posted on Reddit. Looked like the shores of a tropical hideaway. The green makes it look like the freezing cold, disgusting waters of the northern coasts. Does KAM have a similar minimum order quantity to KAT? Any chance we could have both options with inviting, warm light blue water and cold, seaweed-filled green water?

Depends where the tropical hideaway is, but there are lots of places that go from relatively shallow to very deep water very quickly (hence the much darker green to blue).

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:35:32 »
ayy looks great, the work that you put in this was worth it.
LCK75 so lit

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 03:02:52 »

I'll look into the options for a lighter gradient, I don't see the dark green colour, as it's a deep blue on my monitor. (P3 screen)

Depends where the tropical hideaway is, but there are lots of places that go from relatively shallow to very deep water very quickly (hence the much darker green to blue).

Yes, my set is based on the greek/turkish sea of the mediterranean sea like this pic:

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 03:07:46 »

I believe not being strict diagonal is intentional because the 4 is also a different color. I think its to create a wave effect (tide moving effect).

This is correct, I couldn't do it on an ortho since it will look very minecraft.
That didn't flow nicely so I made it straight for ortholinear boards, to get an idea from deep sea to shore :)

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 03:20:17 »

I highly recommend splitting the numpad into its own kit. Since we are working with keyreative MOQ here, there is no reason to combine it with alphas.

You mentioned being unsure about the reason to split off numpad; anyone using anything smaller than a TKL does not need the numpad.

Further, I recommend putting the function keys into the modifiers kit. The alphas kit should be literally just alphas. Check out KAT Explosion or KAT Oasis or KAT Iron for some ideas on kitting. While those are KAT and not KAM profile, you’ll get a better idea for how to make kits for keyreative as the manu.

Thank you! I will split the numpad and add F row to the mods :), added it to the todo's

I like it & interested in the alpha & 40 kits. Will the the modifiers on the 40s kit have font or icons on them? Mainly asking b/c your current 40s kit mods are blank.

Thanks :) I will give it a try, if it looks good I'll add it to the set. I kept them blank to ensure easy mix and match.

Offline CrlaoSvloadr

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:38:22 »
Very nice! To my eyes, it's what tidal could have been- wonderful stuff :)

Offline farmisen

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 19:11:36 »
Reminds me of sex on the beach by myself
Masturbation on the beach?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 13:36:09 »

Thank you! I will split the numpad and add F row to the mods :), added it to the todo's

Thanks :) I will give it a try, if it looks good I'll add it to the set. I kept them blank to ensure easy mix and match.
Thanks, appreciate it!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 13:55:11 »
Nice color shift 😎

Been watching Mario Sunshine speedrun videos lately, got me feeling it.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 18:41:55 »
I like the gradient and colors a lot. Just a few opinions:
1) I prefer some sort of wave in the ortho sets, even if it would look 'minecrafty'. Right now it feels out of place whenever I look at it.
2) I really like turtles, maybe that's an idea for an extra novelty?
3) the 3 keys making a chain with anchor novelty is absolutely AMAZING!
4) The sandcastle novelty is a little too detailed to fit on a 1U key, maybe you could swap the sandcastle for the second part of the pole (with skateboard). I think a topview of a Pennyboard or any other small cruiser could fit better in a 1U shape.
I've been working my student summerjob on the beach for 4 summers in a row now, but due to the current state of the world I'm not sure if I'll be able see the beach this summer. This set really gives me some of that summervibe back.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 21:23:37 »
Wanted to comment about how this is by far the best and one of the only acceptable gradient sets I’ve seen but then I felt that huge slap to my face when I saw my ergo keyboards weren’t good enough to make the cut.

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 14:08:09 »
Wanted to comment about how this is by far the best and one of the only acceptable gradient sets I’ve seen but then I felt that huge slap to my face when I saw my ergo keyboards weren’t good enough to make the cut.

We will support Ergodox, kits coming up. :)
I thought the 40's kit with blanks covered enough split keebs, but coming from feedback I have to re-do alot of the kits, so we're working on it!

1) I prefer some sort of wave in the ortho sets, even if it would look 'minecrafty'. Right now it feels out of place whenever I look at it.
4) The sandcastle novelty is a little too detailed to fit on a 1U key, maybe you could swap the sandcastle for the second part of the pole (with skateboard). I think a topview of a Pennyboard or any other small cruiser could fit better in a 1U shape.
I've been working my student summerjob on the beach for 4 summers in a row now, but due to the current state of the world I'm not sure if I'll be able see the beach this summer. This set really gives me some of that summervibe back.
Thank you!  :cool:
1. I will check out how it looks, however if it looks like any other 45 degree angle set I will not do it, and continue with the straight set. Hope you understand.
2. Will take it into consideration, any prefered color? same as the shrimp?
3. That's feedback I heard a lot and will edit the castle so fit better, thanks :)
I don't think the skateboard with pole is a good subtitute since it's a noveltie version of the pipe key |\, while the castle is home. Maybe we can make the turtle a FN subtitute?

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 10:05:56 »

We will support Ergodox, kits coming up. :)
I thought the 40's kit with blanks covered enough split keebs, but coming from feedback I have to re-do alot of the kits, so we're working on it!

Thank you!  :cool:
1. I will check out how it looks, however if it looks like any other 45 degree angle set I will not do it, and continue with the straight set. Hope you understand.
2. Will take it into consideration, any prefered color? same as the shrimp?
3. That's feedback I heard a lot and will edit the castle so fit better, thanks :)
I don't think the skateboard with pole is a good subtitute since it's a noveltie version of the pipe key |\, while the castle is home. Maybe we can make the turtle a FN subtitute?

Yes, I understand, but right now the transition feels unnatural. I guess it's just the downside of using ortho, nothing to blame you for.
The same color as the shrimp would be nice, but it could also substitute the castle. I don't have any preferred color or position for it in mind.
I just realized how well thought out the skateboard key is and the structure in the novelties. It's not just 'beach related' keys. Nice!
BTW, today I saw an IC for GMK offshore, which has a lot of similaritieswith this set. Idk if you know who runs that IC, but I think you guys need to talk about your themes. They look a little too similar.

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 04:35:59 »
First gradient (and KAM) set I've really been interested in. Looks great! Love the use of the sign as both Backspace and |\. Very clever!

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 18:14:38 »

Updated the ortho kit, Ortho now with legends! :D
still working on readability, for that I'm waiting on the pantone colourbook.

First gradient (and KAM) set I've really been interested in. Looks great! Love the use of the sign as both Backspace and |\. Very clever!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 18:19:10 by Meijboom »

Offline Kerasan

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Kits updated
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 05:13:13 »
Shiny mold pls

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 15:48:05 »

I added ErgoDox, how do you like this gradient? it's more a 50/50 then random. wich is also possible for cheaper, like this:

Offline scoopbb

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Kits updated, ergodox added!
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 17:01:15 »
legended ortho good. right shift prolly needs to be a return if youre keeping the default ortho legends

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 09:22:51 »
legended ortho good. right shift prolly needs to be a return if youre keeping the default ortho legends

Good point, will add it.

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 14:48:48 »
I really like how this set is turning out!
Isn't it possible to make ortho layout also a diagonal gradient, a little bit like the ergodox?

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 17:50:44 »
I really like how this set is turning out!
Isn't it possible to make ortho layout also a diagonal gradient, a little bit like the ergodox?

I've updated the set for a diagonal gradient for you, will be included in standard ortho set for flexibility :)
Also full matte support coming for ortho, like the rest of the sets!

Offline frasnow

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Kits updated
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 10:42:55 »

Offline monkeywright

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - New kits, added full-matte support!
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:03:42 »
I've been waiting for the perfect set to encapsulate living in Los Angeles, and this is the one. Love the glossy/matte mix. I hope this inspires more people to think outside the box when designing keysets. If COVID doesn't bankrupt me, I'm in for this one!

Offline parablol

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:26:37 »
I really hope to get shiny smooth KAM ErgoDox kits

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:34:48 »
I like it & great job w/ this set!!!

Offline Kalabalik

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 23:25:11 »
If only this was KAT. Nice work.

Offline caviar

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 00:54:36 »
Any update on when this is expected to run GB?

Offline caviar

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 22:33:43 »

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 09:41:49 »

I have no clue yet, I'm still waiting on pricing for already over a month. My contact does not respond sadly, so I'm in the dark.
Once prices are set, I will accelerate the project to get it to GB as soon as possible!