Author Topic: [IC] Serpent 65 | 65% Keyboard Running Q1 2023  (Read 19619 times)

Offline Rik.caffeinated

[IC] Serpent 65 | 65% Keyboard Running Q1 2023
« on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:14:48 »
Serpent65
Designed by Caffeinated Studio

Link to IC Google Form
IC CONTENTS

1.DETAILS
2.CURRENT STATUS
3.GALLERY
4.FAQ
5.SPECIAL THANKS
6.UPDATES

Hello!

Welcome to my IC – this is a very surreal moment for me. This board has been in the works on and off for two years and after many requests I’m finally kicking this off. I am so happy to share it with you all and hope you enjoy it.

Here are links to my IG and Discord so you can follow the project and track updates. Please fill out the IC form to provide feedback and allow me to send updates!

1. DETAILS

The most notable feature and a key aspect of the design language of the board are the weights. Yes, there are two! There is a large bottom weight wearing the serpent engraving that the board draws the name from. Equally as prominent is the rear weight. One of my favorite aspects of the board is how the weight can be seen from top down when viewing and using the keyboard. The hint of brass or anodized aluminum wrapping over from the bottom all the way to the top really gives a unique look I feel hasn’t been used often in custom keyboards.

The layout is another piece where I spent a lot of time before finalizing the end design. Many 65% keyboards have offset arrow keys now, but a sticking point for me has always been that the gap they are offset does not remain an equal 0.25u or 0.5u. Most boards will have the arrows offset 0.25u and the extra function keys 0.5u to accommodate a blocker or some other piece. With the Serpent65 - making this gap consistent and lending visual symmetry all the way around the function row and arrows was extremely important to me and I hope you enjoy the result! The board also supports ANSI bottom row, WKL bottom row with 7u and split BS.

Typing feel and sound are achieved by a carefully designed plate and gasket mounting system. I personally manufactured then tested numerous iterations of gasket materials, densities and sizes to find the perfect combination. The board feels great with multiple keycap profiles and sits at a 6.5° angle. A lot of care was taken in tuning the inside of the board to achieve optimal sound as well. A direct quote from MrPetrov himself “Greatest sounding tactile board ever made!” Trust me you’ll love how it feels and sounds. Typing tests, build guides, streams, etc etc etc will come before the GB so you have plenty of material to preview the board with.

That’s a lot about the board – a little tiny bit about me.

My name is Rik! You might have seen me on Discord I like to hangout in coffeecult and spend all my money in SRAF. When I’m not spending my own money, I love to help my friends spend theirs on my favorite hobbies. (or just meme on friends - my second favorite past time) If you see me around say hi! I have been working on the Serpent65 for over 2 years now from concept to drawings to prototype and now to this IC. I am heavily interested in coffee, keebs, audio, cars, photography – if it’s expensive I got sucked in at some point. That’s why I started Caffeinated Studio. A place where I can come up with keyboards or other hobby adjacent ideas and fun things to work on.

2. CURRENT STATUS

The current iteration of the board will be ordered in a small quantity (25 units) in January. After those have been received the GB will open. Optimistically in Q1 but this may push to the beginning of Q2.

I have completed two successful rounds of prototyping. It’s very important to me that I minimize all risk associated with the GB. I pay for all prototyping costs, PCBs, etc out of pocket and won’t accept funds for a board that isn’t able to be realized.

I understand that not all board can function this way and that sometimes the designer cannot afford this route, but it’s a personal belief of mine that ICs should have prototypes long before moving to GB. I have versions of the black, green and brass designs on hand and they all look amazing and you can see photos of them here before ever committing any money so you know exactly what you're getting!

No design will ever be sold without first being prototyped and having it on hand.

Which leads me to - actual photos of the board!

3. GALLERY

No, sorry. The Bulbasaur board is not going to be available for sale. It's a personal fun board for myself and I am not in a position to bait Nintendo lawyers. Photos included for brass color reference only.

This is the R1 Proto. A lot of things aesthetic items changed between this and the current iteration. Photo for color reference only!
Black Ano Reference Photo

Render with GMK Mictlan by the wonderful Vheissu - Stainless steel on black

4. FAQ 

What's included?
Top and Bottom Case: Anodized Aluminum (Black or Green available)
Weights: Brass, Anodized Aluminum (Black) and Limited Stainless Steel
Plate: One Plate (Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Brass, POM, FR4)
PCB: Custom PCB by BlindAssassin with Unified Daughterboard

Price: $600 (starting+shipping)

Timeline: Q1 or Early Q2 GB

Split BS Support? Yes!

Tsangan? ANSI? Yes! The board supports the layout that is pictured above in the prototype - a bottom row of (1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5)
Additionally - for my winkey folks - it supports (1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.5/1.5) Layout

Hotswap? Not at this time, but if it's commonly requested in the IC form I am happy to revisit this.

PC? Again - not at this time.

VIA? Yes! And QMK of course. Open-source options are also being tested/ported.

5. SPECIAL THANKS

This list could be impossibly long, but I absolutely have to give recognition to these select people who helped me along the way and without which I wouldn't have stuck it out 2 years bringing this board into the world.
My wife! She puts up with me spending hours at the computer designing and then building keyboards
Flatwhite. My pocket engineer. Always providing flawless feedback.
Koi. Puts up with FW and I always hijacking coffee conversations and is a rock solid friend always.
All of the Holers. Couldn’t have done it without your constant feedback.
Moon. You bastard.
Vox and LBaron who make up an incredibly gifted and diverse team. They’ve both helped in their own very different ways.
Ninjapirate for his AMAZING photos!
Bobby for help with everything <3
Both Zach and Jorge for being so nice and always answering DMs plus living the dream and providing an example to the rest of us looking to get into keeb design.
Petrov for being… well you know.

« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2022, 12:43:33 by Rik.caffeinated »

Offline LilithAugustus

• She/Her
Re: [IC] Serpent 65 | 65% Keyboard Running Q1 2022
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:17:52 »
So how do I get the tentacle turtle bottom 

Offline kuro0renji

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:18:46 »
It looks sooo nice!

Offline CloudyEyes

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:19:27 »
Im interested goodluck

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:19:52 »
Will it support VIA?

Offline Fineko

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:22:57 »
hello mr coffee will there be VIAL support

Offline MOON

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:27:19 »
Is there any sort of WPM increase guarantee?
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:33:15 by MOON »

Offline The_Koi

• Colorado - Code, Coffee and Keys
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:34:39 »
I hear that this is both high pitched and thocky. I'm in.

Offline Juego

• True
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:36:40 »
Let's Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! #waifuGang
#KeyboardGang

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:39:37 »
I like pizza

Offline pears

• Sneezing is painful
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 18:46:29 »
Getting punched in the face was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Offline Invezting

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 19:03:29 »
hi rik, big fan here. gud board.

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 20:08:16 »
hi rik, big fan here. gud board.

Thank you sir - this means a lot coming from you!

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 20:33:45 »
Rik, Ily but like Rik.

Offline Blastoise

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 20:55:04 »
Rik gud
Gud Rik

Ratjam.

Offline KneeDeep

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 22:22:06 »
Can’t wait to do some wacky stuff to these bottoms!!

Offline brunosan_.

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 22:48:16 »
Bottom looks really good. Excited to see the sound tests, it seems that you have put a lot of effort into this. GLWIC & GB

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 23:10:45 »
Can’t wait to do some wacky stuff to these bottoms!!

Bottom looks really good. Excited to see the sound tests, it seems that you have put a lot of effort into this. GLWIC & GB

Thank you both! I am really excited to see what magic Knee can work with the bottom as well. I think it's such a good canvas can't wait to see the magic happen

Offline MrMar

• Instagram
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 23:28:46 »
Take my kidney money.

Offline PC Concepts

• PC Concepts Mari
    • Discord
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 23:47:32 »
id enter the squid games just for a chance to buy this board.

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 00:10:17 »
id enter the squid games just for a chance to buy this board.
The raffle will be much less murder-y I promise. Unless Koi has something sinister in mind...

Maybe a really hard game of Nokia snake would be appropriate instead of a squid game.

Thanks so much for the support! I'm really glad you like it

Offline kabocha

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 14:20:26 »

Offline smshark

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 17:28:15 »
I'm a bit enamored with this board after seeing it in person - the weight and feel are both tremendous and it looks like a board worth more than the (expected) asking price.

One hopeful suggestion: any chance of split space? Split space on 65s isn't terribly common but I'd love to see something like 2.75u and 2.25u bars with classic tsangan 1.5-1-1.5 on each side. No idea if that works given pin and stab locations, but that seems like a great balance of retaining symmetry around B and keeping tsangan mods

EDIT: alternatively 3-1-3 might be easier to fit on the PCB for re-using 7u stab holes and with more sets seeing 3u bars, kitting should accommodate this quite well
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 December 2021, 17:35:56 by smshark »

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 17:36:32 »
I'm a bit enamored with this board after seeing it in person - the weight and feel are both tremendous and it looks like a board worth more than the (expected) asking price.

One hopeful suggestion: any chance of split space? Split space on 65s isn't terribly common but I'd love to see something like 2.75u and 2.25u bars with classic tsangan 1.5-1-1.5 on each side. No idea if that works given pin and stab locations, but that seems like a great balance of retaining symmetry around B and keeping tsangan mods

Thank you for the feedback! I know the keyboard market is extremely crowded and coming to market at $600 is tough, but even that price is ambitious for me. Couple material cost increases with how complex the design of my board is mechanically and we get expensive quickly. It means a lot to me that you feel it is justified after having felt and seen the quality in person! Truly appreciate it.

I was talking to Dededecline about this just now and I think the compromise would be 1.5/1.5/3/1/3/1.5/1.5 otherwise it would have to be a completely separate PCB (which also isn't entirely out of the question)
I'll mull this over for the next 60 days or so and see if I can come up with the best solution.

Offline smshark

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 10:25:21 »

Thank you for the feedback! I know the keyboard market is extremely crowded and coming to market at $600 is tough, but even that price is ambitious for me. Couple material cost increases with how complex the design of my board is mechanically and we get expensive quickly. It means a lot to me that you feel it is justified after having felt and seen the quality in person! Truly appreciate it.

I was talking to Dededecline about this just now and I think the compromise would be 1.5/1.5/3/1/3/1.5/1.5 otherwise it would have to be a completely separate PCB (which also isn't entirely out of the question)
I'll mull this over for the next 60 days or so and see if I can come up with the best solution.

Totally makes sense not wanting to venture into new PCB territory, doesn't really seem worth it when 3-1-3 provides better symmetry and *should* fit well in the confines of the 7u bar slot. Thanks for considering!

Offline vheissu

• Pragmatic Geometrist
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 21:55:26 »
What a great-looking board Sir.

Offline caffeinated.rik

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 22:11:54 »
What a great-looking board Sir.
Thanks friend.

Can't wait to see it with Mictlan on the board.

Offline dychen_

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 11:28:42 »
Would def be interested in this if hotswap was an option!

Offline drunken0monkey

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 20:43:32 »
Look really interesting. The wrap around back is fantastic; love it.

Hoping not a super-limited sale.

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 16:49:22 »
Would def be interested in this if hotswap was an option!

Look really interesting. The wrap around back is fantastic; love it.

Hoping not a super-limited sale.
I hadn't considered hotswap but it seems like a lot of people are interested so I'm going to order some.

This shouldn't be "super limited" I'm hoping to have 80-100 of them available as an initial buy and after those are fulfilled I'll run a second round if there is interest.

Happy holidays everyone!

Offline MSA_Vision

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 17:56:28 »
Can’t wait! Real nice work on the board.

Personally feel exploded 65% is a layout not often visited. Coupled with ensuring symmetry for the board makes it even more so interesting. The backweight is also quite intricate which I personally quite like even though you don’t look at it. Looking forward to sound tests and more photos! GLWIC  :thumb:
Sic Parvis Magna

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 March 2022, 22:15:51 »
Can’t wait! Real nice work on the board.

Personally feel exploded 65% is a layout not often visited. Coupled with ensuring symmetry for the board makes it even more so interesting. The backweight is also quite intricate which I personally quite like even though you don’t look at it. Looking forward to sound tests and more photos! GLWIC  :thumb:

Thanks so much! This means a lot I love all the feedback.

I'm posting an update here that I shared on Discord for anyone who is following here

I targeted Q2 to run this GB, but realize it would be better suited towards the end of the year instead. Rikia is a much easier GB for me logistically and supply wise so that will get done first and set me up to offer a much better Serpent GB with more availability (and supply chain willing - better pricing) which is my ultimate goal. But don't think this has been forgotten! I just ordered 25 Serpents in a rainbow of colors and materials to workout final GB options.