Author Topic: [GB] GMK Nautilus 2  (Read 67404 times)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
[GB] GMK Nautilus 2
« on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 10:22:22 »

GMK NAUTILUS 2

Project site

ORDERS OPEN

“The sea is everything. It covers seven-tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and life-giving.
It is an immense desert place where man is never lonely, for he senses the weaving of Creation on every hand.
It is the physical embodiment of a supernatural existence… For the sea is itself nothing but love and emotion.”

Captain Nemo

Timeline

Orders open: April 2nd,2020
Orders close: May 5th, 2020
Estimated shipping date: Q1 2021

Vendors

Kits

The Core Kit is your starting point and provides basic layout coverage for 60%, 65%, 75%, TKL, 96-key,
1800 and fullsize layouts in both standard and winkeyless variants while keeping mind affordability.

Some notable inclusions are the accent Enter, Esc and Arrow keys, split backspace and stepped caps lock keys.

The Explorer add-on kit extends the Core’s layout coverage and provides support for 660-like keyboards
(2.25U Shift), standalone numpads (double zero and equals key), Alice-like and split keyboards (split space
bars and a second B), 88-key tenkeyless boards (F13) and 60% keyboards with arrows (2.00U and 1.00U shifts).

Additionally, the kit also includes alternative layout modifiers for HHKB, tenkeyless and other standard layouts.

A standard Tab and Backspace key have been included so in conjunction with the Core kit you could re-use
the modifiers.

The Forties extension kit allows you to cover small form factor keyboards such as the OLKB Planck,
ION × AI03 Equinox or Prime Keyboards Prime_E.

The kit includes accents accent Enter and Esc, small space keys, and some alternative layout support
 for ortholinear keyboards.

The International kit provides full layout coverage for Danish, Finnish, German, Swedish and UK ISO keyboards.

The Mac Kit adds alternative layout support for MacOS keyboards with Command and Option keys.

Featuring the Nautilus submarine and a set of R4 Jules, Verne and Rose of the Winds modifier keys, the Novelties
add that extra 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea touch.

The Space bars kit includes accent space keys from 1.00C to 7.00C for both standard, split, and 40% keyboards.

Pricing

RAMA × NAUTILUS

Made in collaboration with RAMA WORKS®, we'll be releasing a limited-edition keycap designed to match the
Nautilus 2 keycap set.

The keycap, which is made from anodized aluminium, depicts the Nautilus II ship from the League of Extraordinary
Gentlemen
created by Alan Moore and illustrated by Kevin O-Neill.

Space Cables × Nautilus 2

Space Cables are working on some awesome Nautilus themed custom cables.

You can order them here: https://spacecables.net/product/nautilus-2/

`

Zambumon Jules

Keycult No.2

TGR Alice

ION × Ai03 Equinox

wilba.tech Thermal

Signature banner:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105453.0][img width=468 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/aqYjSvh.jpg[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2020, 10:35:57 by Zambumon »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
Re: [GB] GMK Nautilus 2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 10:22:40 »

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 05:57:39 by Zambumon »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 12:39:16 »
Reserved

Offline C0LD

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 12:56:48 »
Ordered :)

Offline voidcaster

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 16:33:55 »
Ordered! (+ a Jules with the novelkeys creams set + the space cable)

Now all I have to do is wait  :-*
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 April 2020, 07:00:56 by voidcaster »

Offline Azurewrath

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:46:32 »
Let's hope the international kit picks up some speed.  :)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 12:34:17 »
Very nice. I still have my original Nautilus set. :cool:

Does GMK make a convex 1.75u spacebar now? What about 1.25u and 3u?

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 13:08:57 »
How well would the RAMA cap match the Ouro Jules?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 13:14:31 »
Very nice. I still have my original Nautilus set. :cool:

Does GMK make a convex 1.75u spacebar now? What about 1.25u and 3u?

Yes.

How well would the RAMA cap match the Ouro Jules?

The RAMA Enter key will be a lighter shade of gold.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 05:33:44 »
Added Day 5 Numbers

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 12:43:03 »
Added Day 6 Numbers

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 17:05:09 »
Week one recap

Offline equalunique

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 11:50:24 »
No ErgoDox. No Colevrak. :/

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:19:14 »
No ErgoDox. No Colevrak. :/

The demand for Ergodox kits have dropped significantly over the last few years. I've been monitoring how those kits do with GMK group buys and it's so hard to get them to hit MOQ. Drop had leftovers of those kits during the 2018 and 2019 Yanbo's closet.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 04:49:54 »
Added April 10 numbers.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 05:58:43 »
Week two recap

• Core, Novelties and Space Bars have reached the MOQ (minimum order quantity) during week two.
  • Things are also looking great the International kit. With its current pace, we could be around 40 units out of the 50 required by the end of week four.

Offline Azurewrath

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 22:54:48 »
Any new numbers?  ;D

Offline buianhthang

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 12:05:59 »
is this still the same color as round 1?
Keyboard: Filco ECW, Anne Pro 2, Percent Canoe Gen 2
Keyset: GMK Bento R1

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 09:36:13 »
is this still the same color as round 1?

Yes

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 09:37:54 »

Offline saesh

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 04:19:53 »
Hey! Does anyone know if the yellow of Nautilus matches that of Rama Heavy Industry?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:51:38 »
Hey! Does anyone know if the yellow of Nautilus matches that of Rama Heavy Industry?

It doesn't.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:32:21 »
Great set. One of my first GMK sets, and it ages well.

Offline paul_aydol

• My Facebook
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:59:17 »
Ordered during the first week. Also have the original set  :D

EDIT: Are the numbers include extras?
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 02:04:32 by paul_aydol »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 10:23:14 »
Week Four Recap

NOTE FOR EU FOLKS

Deskmats are now available at Oblotzky Industries

https://oblotzky.industries/products/gmk-nautilus-2?variant=33603401089156

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:50:27 »
The International kit has hit MOQ!

Offline Natac24

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 03:26:41 »

Yay!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 05:10:04 »
Explorer kit has hit MOQ

Offline Icte

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 07:15:44 »
How's the 40s kit doing so far? Still far from MOQ?

Offline Icte

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 07:41:00 »
I have been comparing the renders in this set to the renders in the Group Buy for Nautilus V1 as well as to "IRL" examples (i.e. different videos) and it seems to me that the base color of the non-modifier keys are using a lighter shade of blue than in the previous run. Link to GB Nautilus v1:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85336.0

The fonts of the letters also seem smaller than in the previous run.

Are there any changes to the color palettes and/or fonts used in this run compared to Nautilus V1?

EDIT: For those who are interested, Zambumon has responded to this question previously in the IC thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104475.0

"Nautilus 2 will be using the same colors as the previous round and I have instructed GMK to use the same colors that we had during the first round. The goal is indeed being able to mix and match, but keep in mind that the color matching process is not that easy and there could be slightly differences between the first and second round."
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2020, 07:52:00 by Icte »

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 12:43:12 »
I have been comparing the renders in this set to the renders in the Group Buy for Nautilus V1 as well as to "IRL" examples (i.e. different videos) and it seems to me that the base color of the non-modifier keys are using a lighter shade of blue than in the previous run. Link to GB Nautilus v1:

Are there any changes to the color palettes and/or fonts used in this run compared to Nautilus V1?

EDIT: For those who are interested, Zambumon has responded to this question previously in the IC thread:

"Nautilus 2 will be using the same colors as the previous round and I have instructed GMK to use the same colors that we had during the first round. The goal is indeed being able to mix and match, but keep in mind that the color matching process is not that easy and there could be slightly differences between the first and second round."

Zambumon can clarify, but it’s probably just because keysets (and colors in general) can look different in videos, photos, and real life than they do in renders. Color science is surprisingly complex, and color matching can be difficult. Photos and videos you may have seen may not accurately reflect the precise color of the set depicted because of how the creator color graded the image/video and whether or not they calibrated with a color target. There is also a difference in apparent luminosity with colors in real life and on screens. Imagery and colors tend to appear lighter on screen than they do in person because screens are emissive (they are themselves giving off light) whereas physical objects in person are reflective, reflecting light from a light source (the color and temperature of which may vary and also affect the apparent color of something. Last, the monitor or mobile device you’re viewing on and the intensity and color of the ambient light around you can affect the appearance of color.

*end rant*
If you can tell by my screen name, I’m a photographer. I worked in grad school as an archival photographer for a museum, where every photo had to be ensured to be completely color accurate to maintain an accurate record. There’s a surprising amount of work that goes into it and a lot of ways for color not to appear the way it does in real life. If Zambumon says it’ll be the same color, I believe it. Taking it with the obvious grain of salt that GMK might not get the color matching 100%. For what it’s worth, my computer monitors are routinely calibrated, and I’ll still get keysets that don’t look 100% like what I thought they would. That doesn’t mean they don’t look incredible though. Also sorry if this came off as stern or condescending. I’m honestly just a photography and color matching nerd who can’t contain his enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2020, 12:46:09 by Shutter_Shock »

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 13:15:26 »

Zambumon can clarify, but it’s probably just because keysets (and colors in general) can look different in videos, photos, and real life than they do in renders. Color science is surprisingly complex, and color matching can be difficult. Photos and videos you may have seen may not accurately reflect the precise color of the set depicted because of how the creator color graded the image/video and whether or not they calibrated with a color target. There is also a difference in apparent luminosity with colors in real life and on screens. Imagery and colors tend to appear lighter on screen than they do in person because screens are emissive (they are themselves giving off light) whereas physical objects in person are reflective, reflecting light from a light source (the color and temperature of which may vary and also affect the apparent color of something. Last, the monitor or mobile device you’re viewing on and the intensity and color of the ambient light around you can affect the appearance of color.

*end rant*
If you can tell by my screen name, I’m a photographer. I worked in grad school as an archival photographer for a museum, where every photo had to be ensured to be completely color accurate to maintain an accurate record. There’s a surprising amount of work that goes into it and a lot of ways for color not to appear the way it does in real life. If Zambumon says it’ll be the same color, I believe it. Taking it with the obvious grain of salt that GMK might not get the color matching 100%. For what it’s worth, my computer monitors are routinely calibrated, and I’ll still get keysets that don’t look 100% like what I thought they would. That doesn’t mean they don’t look incredible though. Also sorry if this came off as stern or condescending. I’m honestly just a photography and color matching nerd who can’t contain his enthusiasm.

As someone with a round 1 set, some of the renders, particularly those on the polycarbonate thermal, lean more green heavy in my opinion. But as its been said, you aren't going to get 100% color accuracy on screen for a variety of reasons. If the same colors are being used as R1 though people can expect a very vibrant and striking set. This will always be one of, if not my absolute, favorite GMK set.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:08:01 »

*end rant*

GMK's color accuracy with Carbon R2 vs Carbon R1 was spectacular. If there's any color variance, I expect it to be minimal.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:51:01 »

*end rant*

GMK's color accuracy with Carbon R2 vs Carbon R1 was spectacular. If there's any color variance, I expect it to be minimal.

i trust GMK
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Azurewrath

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:00:13 »
Yay! :)

Explorer kit has hit MOQ
Yay! :)

Really looking forward to manufacturing and receiving the caps one day. ;D

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:23:14 »
The last day to order ladies and gents!
Let's make Zambumon happy!  ;)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 18:41:20 »
I'll try to post this week's recap as soon as I get final numbers from all vendors.

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 19:43:55 »
i'm new to this thing, just got a v7, currently using a modded drop alt.

i thought the desirable caps are made of double shot PBT. but all these gmk keys are ABS, and are really expensive. am i missing something? i know that quality ABS caps are better than aliexpress/ebay PBT, but i feel like at this price they should be PBT. someone please throw me a bone .
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:10:24 »
...but i feel like at this price they should be PBT. someone please throw me a bone .

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103265.msg2829780#msg2829780  ;)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:19:24 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:58:15 »
...but i feel like at this price they should be PBT. someone please throw me a bone .

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103265.msg2829780#msg2829780  ;)

^^

oh, damn. made in germany??? guess i'll nab a set to go with my blue V7

i'm not 100% sure i'll use these caps. if not, then someone on the mechmarket reddit will get a good deal.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2020, 21:25:14 by solomonshv »
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 06:50:52 »
Here is the week five recap:

Offline Iamsosmrt

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:22:03 »
Wow that's a massive jump on the last day.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:56:42 »
For a few storefronts including Dixie 5 minutes ago...it’s still live. So there should be more...

Offline wencan008

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:24:58 »
Wow that's a massive jump on the last day.

That always happens, it's just vendors buying a few extras

Offline paul_aydol

• My Facebook
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 03:01:19 »
That last day jump was so huge.  :eek:

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 15:05:13 »
That last day jump was so huge.  :eek:

During week 5 Zfrontier only updated on May 5th since they were on vacation the days prior (May 1st celebrations + golden week)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 09:56:20 »
Orders placed.

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 18:33:24 »
can't wait to get this set in!!

Offline ainet