Author Topic: USB hub with >=7 ports and high compatibility?  (Read 4995 times)

Offline cheater

USB hub with >=7 ports and high compatibility?
« on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:45:02 »
Hi all,
between all the input devices that I have (a few keyboards, a few mice, trackpad, ...), I would like to keep them plugged in via USB. I've looked around but all the usb hubs out there with more than 4 ports are internally just one hub plugged into another hub, and every time I read (amazon) reviews, the reviews talk about incompatibilities, half the ports not being recognized by the system, etc. I want to spare myself the trouble by buying a thing that actually works - but there don't seem to be any reviews out there that point to any good products. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: USB hub with >=7 ports and high compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 21:23:32 »
Anker.
Beware Amazon reviews, they are EXTREMLY full of shills, cons and morons.

Beware, plugging too many things in will create lag and lower transfer speeds.
I recommend plugging the mouse and keyboard direct, or a smaller hub, same for thumbsticks and external drives.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 21:44:13 »
I've been using these for 4+ years:
   https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Premium-Port-USB-Cable/dp/B00KDECEBQ/ref=sr_1_6

ORICO Powered USB 3.0 Hub, Aluminum 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub, and 3 Fast Charging Ports.
Come in a number of configurations. 4, 7 ans 10 ports at least.

Use it on my MacBook Pro.
Not cheap, but no regrets. I haven't run onto incompatibilities.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 21:49:53 »
I think the reason most hubs with more than 4 ports are just cascaded hubs is that most hub chips only come in 4 port varieties.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Willtato

• I like small Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 01:59:59 »
Generally, when I looks for USB hubs, if they contain over around 4 out ports, I always looks for a port for external power. 

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 02:16:27 »
I think the reason most hubs with more than 4 ports are just cascaded hubs is that most hub chips only come in 4 port varieties.
hubs are part of the usb spec, and the spec says a hub has 4 ports and can be cascaded up to 5 times, it is why most hub have 4 ports, and anything above is cascaded.
also in the usb2 spec a device plugged into a host can draw up to 500mA while a device plugged into a hub is only meant to draw up to 100mA, and will have to share the bandwidth of course. i did read the usb spec before USB3 came out so i do not know how all of that evolved with it though.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline cheater

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 20:16:20 »
hubs are part of the usb spec, and the spec says a hub has 4 ports and can be cascaded up to 5 times, it is why most hub have 4 ports, and anything above is cascaded.
also in the usb2 spec a device plugged into a host can draw up to 500mA while a device plugged into a hub is only meant to draw up to 100mA, and will have to share the bandwidth of course. i did read the usb spec before USB3 came out so i do not know how all of that evolved with it though.

Yeah I'm fine with hubs being made up of 4-port chips, i just want a hub that works, and many of them don't seem to

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 20:44:34 »
My 7 port Anker has never had issues.
Oriko is probably another good one.

Higher end Belkin is probably fine as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2020, 20:47:07 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline cheater

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 03:46:29 »
Why not get two matching 4 port hubs (if they even need to match to look good)?  If you're constantly swapping which keyboard and mouse you're actually using you'll probably tie the cables in knots and two small knots is easier to sort than a big one, not to mention removing all compatibillity and speed concerns.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 19:20:31 »
Get a powered hub from Anker/Sabrent etc. I've gone through a couple over the years, they really don't last long when used a lot.

You could run into some issues with input latency with things like peripherals, so I'd plug those devices in directly.

I stopped buying them, they just die on me one port at a time. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 19:00:55 »
Been looking at charging docks for my HP Envy x360 for a while now. From what I've read It's a bit of a compatibility minefield unless you buy an expensive one and I'm slow to spend 150 euro on one.