Author Topic: [GB] GMK Oblivion V3.1 - COMPLETED - V3.2 tentatively in September 2023  (Read 108227 times)

Offline _IanOfEarth

Re: [GB] GMK Oblivion V3.1 - Launches early July 2021
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:34:04 »
Monochrome base is too good, bravo!!

Could you add two 1.5u OS keys and another 1u alt to the base kits for macOS users on HHKB and 7u layouts? Or even add them to another kit? Happy to pay for it if that's what makes it work.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:41:02 »
Man, I was hoping by the time R3 rolled around there would be a chance to see some text+icon mods; these text-only mods just don't do it for me. Maybe R4 is the ticket, GLWGB.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline soran

• what have I done
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:42:47 »
Can I buy some of that ice cream with my big phat profit check?

Just buy an ice cream machine, mate.

But why would you want an ice cream machine if you could get a Datron Neo...

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:44:03 »

For such a popular set , that can hardly be counted as a success.

Like I said, genuinely uneducated with the 40's kitting, am I missing something? (Use metropolis for reference if possible)

I mean 40s is still a niche use case. The point is that 40s people can show up enough to meet MOQ when catered to properly. IDK if you don't think meeting MOQ without extras is a success I think we have a very different view of what the point of group buys is. 40s aren't as popular as 65% and that will never be the case, but why not get a cool thing made for them if it is possible with appropriate research and communication? To me this is the spirit of the hobby, or at least the one that I want to participate in. The involved parties will make more sales by being more inclusive anyway, to use your metric for success.

Offline washwashtree

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:47:42 »
What 40's keyboards are you looking at to get that kind of kitting?
Doesn't even support 13u as there isn't three mod colored r2 1u keys, unless I want a jarring git icon next to all the text mods.
It's pretty hilarious how if you image search "40% keyboard" nearly all the non-ortho boards are not compatible with that kit.
Why bother?

Another fantastic executive decision made by our resident strongarm designer to not include mod tilde/pipe.
Community is losing it's fight with you guys, to the point where you know you don't have to bother making an IC.
Pretty sad considering how you're grassroots mech keyboards.
Anyways good luck with interest ch- er I mean gl with your profit.

> Make an IC
> People complain that it's just an advertisement

> Skip making an IC for this project as I fully agree that it is not necessary
> People complain that IC's are being skipped

Can I buy some of that ice cream with my big phat profit check?

Honestly **** 40s and **** this kokaloo guy, he *****es at every top keyset designer who doesn't do 40s kits. Like it's not our fault you wanted to make a niche keyboard that has no compatibility with standard layouts.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:49:07 »
Man, I was hoping by the time R3 rolled around there would be a chance to see some text+icon mods; these text-only mods just don't do it for me. Maybe R4 is the ticket, GLWGB.

I do not have plans to offer Oblivion with Text+Icon mods for two reasons

#1 The set is intended to mimic an IDE, so those modifier icons seem out of place to me. You could argue that there should be no arrows then, but I will admit that text arrows are not that attractive, so those get an exception.
#2 The modifer icons add additional surface area to the legends. As every row has a different color for its modifier legends, this results in one row being more prominent than another row. I did make some test renders back when designing GMK Oblivion V1 and I did not like how it looked. Especially the yellow shift legends popped out way too much with the big shift arrows the Icon+Text legends have as compared to the text only modifiers right below them on the bottom row.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:49:44 »
Regarding the Mod/Tilde mod color situation: The mission of the base kit(s) is to cover layouts at a good price. As such I've cut down on some keys I feel not vital to make it a great package, so those two keys were cut as they are an aesthetic addition and not adding coverage (physically or by providing different legends). I am aiming for 119$ for Git and Regular Base Kits for the US market. I would strongly consider those two keys for an Extension kit, but as Oblivion has 3 base kits, that would either mean a need for 3 Extension kits, or one giant Extension kit that supports all three modifier types. Both options are not viable in my opinion. As such, this lineup of kits does not have place for those two keys.

Are the kits perfect for everyone? No. It is not possible to always make everyone happy.

As for my passive aggressive response, yes you should absolutely expect it in response to you. The first paragraph of this thread specifically asks for detailed information about a change, what key to add for what reason. Yet you completely ignored this (I would actually be surprised if you even read that part and didn't scroll to the 40s kit immediately to get a go or no-go for your reply), instead your entire post basically boils down to "this kit is ****" instead of offering meaningful input. This just proves to me yet again that your sole intention was to take a **** in this thread, nothing more, as you seemingly always do. So yeah, after the n-th time of you taking dumps in various IC/GB threads of mine and other designers, why should I bother to reply in any other way? I should have written your name in place of 'People', I will admit to that mistake. Generally people are rather nice with their inputs, and I try to be as nice in return.

I will likely not make IC's in the future as I am very happy with how I am structuring kits. The inclusion or exclusion of child kits such as International or Colevrak kits doesn't really depend on the amount of replies in such threads, but rather my confidence in how many base kits I expect a set to sell, and then use historic adoption rates of those kits to determine if they have a chance of hitting MOQ, and if my capital can allow a buy-out (I am after all the EU vendor where 95% of International kit customers reside, so I have to make that call if I can bail out that kit or not if necessary).

> The kits are pretty much final and have been submitted to GMK for pricing. However I am leaving Colevrak open for discussion as I assume there will be requests for extending that kit.

How can this possibly give anybody hope that you would consider changes, no matter how nice people are able to word their input? Cutting keys that you included in previous runs is so confusing, if you thought they were important before what makes them less important now? You also have your own set of repetitious actions and stubbornness to not include certain keys no matter how much people say or do. Van backspace isn't even a thought for you even though it's used in many more keyboards other than the one you boycotted it for initially. People have tried to give you feedback, reach out with an olive branch, and see changes to your kitting only to be shown time and time again that it is fruitless. If you would like I can go into detail about changes that I would feel would be a positive change to your kitting, as I do for other sets that I want to support. But I want you to answer me honestly, will it really end up changing anything in the end? Because your past actions and lack of consideration makes me think "No."

There's a reason why I keep posting in your threads, and that's because I so desperately want to give you and other huge designers the benefit of the doubt. I so desperately want to like your product since it is such an important facet to the hobby as a whole, but the mentality of the designers behind these sets is getting more stubborn as time goes on which is completely disheartening. If you want to lean into being a product creator rather than a community member, go right ahead, there's no issue with wanting to make money. The guise of considering feedback however, is just a spit in the face and I can do without it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:53:54 by Kokaloo »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:50:06 »
40's philosophy by OP:

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 12:00:51 »
OP, this might help:

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 12:01:41 »
Regarding the Mod/Tilde mod color situation: The mission of the base kit(s) is to cover layouts at a good price. As such I've cut down on some keys I feel not vital to make it a great package, so those two keys were cut as they are an aesthetic addition and not adding coverage (physically or by providing different legends). I am aiming for 119$ for Git and Regular Base Kits for the US market. I would strongly consider those two keys for an Extension kit, but as Oblivion has 3 base kits, that would either mean a need for 3 Extension kits, or one giant Extension kit that supports all three modifier types. Both options are not viable in my opinion. As such, this lineup of kits does not have place for those two keys.

Heya oblotzky.

I understand the goal, that's clear. What I do notice though lately is that for pretty much every set you run (regardless if it's your own design or someone elses), especially when it comes to R2's, you exclude these two keys.

With every IC, there are always multiple people asking for these two keys. Now obviously, we all know you're not gonna do anything with all those comments, you already made up your mind. Same with this GB, I don't expect them to suddenly appear. I won't ask for specific numbers, understand that you won't provide those. I do believe that adding these two sets will perhaps increase the price by $1 and you can simply reduce profit by that $1.

It does baffle me though why you do offer for example a R3 pg up and R4 pg dn (probably for boards like Tada68 that come like that) but choose not to include the mod colored pipe and tilde. You also choose to include 6 different 1u's for R4, just so people can choose to have a full blow bottom row. (Same with the blue Pull and Fetch for example in the Git Base). I call those aesthetic additions...?

You say you cut keys to offer an affordable much-inclusive base (with basic iso, kudo's for that btw!), yet some choices speak opposite.

There have been some recents sets that you've run on your site, Muted and now this for example, that I would consider buying. They're nice looking sets and classics. Without the mod colored tilde and pipe key though, I won't ever buy one of them. You won't miss that humble one purchase, you'll be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 12:04:26 »
giving floyd a run for his money. respect.

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 12:15:54 »
Sad to see Hagoromo and Cadet alphas gone, but the ASCII base kit is looking really nice, so I might help myself to that. Hopefully the cadet alphas not being in this GB means you're planning GMK Crimson Cadet II? :thinking:

Offline succulentdan

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 12:27:48 »
ne mod pipe/tilde avail? Or you know, some 40s kitting that actually supports 40s boards?

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 12:55:18 »
i wIlL DiE On tHiS MoD TiLdE AnD PiPe hIlL

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:05:25 »
Additionally, the UT47.2 (...and Whimsy, should that GB happen) would need an R2 1.5u backspace. I realize this key exists in the regular base kits, but a number of other keys it requires can't be obtained outside of the 40s kit (mostly the 2x R3 1.25u keys.)

second this, the 1.25 commit and 1.5 stash keys are useless without a 1.5u r2. they wont fit on any board.

Offline Lufenia

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:15:56 »
How many 40s users are there that actually want the support though? There might be some examples, but every GMK set with a 40s kit that I've seen for months has either missed MOQ or relied on extras to be made.

check again, we show up for good kitting and good pricing. the audience is there if it is catered to properly. the sets that have good compat and failed have chosen the wrong kitting style for their MOQ level. popular sets can succeed easily with a large 40s addon kit: see metro 2. Ones at 500 MOQ for the base and lower should just stick minimal physical compat in base and call it a day, if they want to support 40s.

I truly don't know much about the 40s layout but wasn't the final number (not counting extras) for the 40s kit 202/100 for Metropolis R2?

Like I said, genuinely uneducated with the 40's kitting, am I missing something? (Use metropolis for reference if possible)

Hitting double MOQ is not a success? That doesn't make sense. 40s is still a niche in the hobby it is always going to pull smaller numbers than base kits.

As someone else mentioned in the thread recently any kit that has 500 or less MOQ probably isnt going to be able to support a full 40s kit so then we typically recommend a 3 key addition to the base kit to offer maximum physical compat with the least amount of keys. For any set with larger MOQ 40s should have no problem hitting MOQ as long as the 40s kit is good and offers maximum compat for the various boards/layouts.

How many 40s users are there that actually want the support though? There might be some examples, but every GMK set with a 40s kit that I've seen for months has either missed MOQ or relied on extras to be made.

check again, we show up for good kitting and good pricing. the audience is there if it is catered to properly. the sets that have good compat and failed have chosen the wrong kitting style for their MOQ level. popular sets can succeed easily with a large 40s addon kit: see metro 2. Ones at 500 MOQ for the base and lower should just stick minimal physical compat in base and call it a day, if they want to support 40s.

I truly don't know much about the 40s layout but wasn't the final number (not counting extras) for the 40s kit 202/100 for Metropolis R2?

Hitting double MOQ is not a success? That doesn't make sense. 40s is still a niche in the hobby it is always going to pull smaller numbers than base kits.

As someone else mentioned in the thread recently any kit that has 500 or less MOQ probably isnt going to be able to support a full 40s kit so then we typically recommend a 3 key addition to the base kit to offer maximum physical compat with the least amount of keys. For any set with larger MOQ 40s should have no problem hitting MOQ as long as the 40s kit is good and offers maximum compat for the various boards/layouts.

The put things into perspective, a set which had 2.6k base kits sold and 1.3k for the alt set, 0.2k 40s kits were sold. 

I feel like my name is  going to be put on a 40s hit list for what I'm about to say but why would I, the average folk, want to pay extra for 3 keys that I will almost never use? Especially on a low MOQ run.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:17:11 »
In case you, the average folk, ever decide you want to try a different format.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:20:48 »

I do not have plans to offer Oblivion with Text+Icon mods for two reasons

#1 The set is intended to mimic an IDE, so those modifier icons seem out of place to me. You could argue that there should be no arrows then, but I will admit that text arrows are not that attractive, so those get an exception.
#2 The modifer icons add additional surface area to the legends. As every row has a different color for its modifier legends, this results in one row being more prominent than another row. I did make some test renders back when designing GMK Oblivion V1 and I did not like how it looked. Especially the yellow shift legends popped out way too much with the big shift arrows the Icon+Text legends have as compared to the text only modifiers right below them on the bottom row.

Fair enough! Appreciate the reply  :thumb:

Any chance for some of those pikku renders with the ASCII alphas?
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:27:56 »
Please press F for these beautiful Cadet alphas

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:31:16 »
I feel like my name is  going to be put on a 40s hit list for what I'm about to say but why would I, the average folk, want to pay extra for 3 keys that I will almost never use? Especially on a low MOQ run.

Nah again its a niche thing, it's understandable to not get if you aren't immersed in it or haven't done the research as a keyset designer should. We (the deviants i guess?) pay for way more than 3 keys we don't need because we accept that that's what has to happen for the thing we want to get made and support many different user groups. Adding these three keys doesnt necessarily directly affect the price. It has to be weighed against other keys in the base kit too, be factored into profit calculations, etc. It's not about charging you more for something you don't need, it's about deciding you want to support a section of the community or not, and then figuring out the necessary compromises to do so. Often this means increasing the price for everybody, but it doesnt have to be. Personally I would add 5 dollars to not outright exclude some of the most creative boards being made in the hobby, but I'm biased. Adding compat to base is a slippery slope and every set needs to make those decisions for itself. However, if you make a full 40s kit and purposefully exclude many popular boards, I'm not sure what the point is other than to dab on us.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:32:22 »
Metal artisan keycaps made by Salvun, these two conclude the offering of this category. Thanks to Zambumon for creating the renders.

Gray escape key added to Monochrome base kit, it missing was an error.

I know mod pipe/tilde is a hot topic. It's simply lower on the priority list for keys in the base kit. For example 2u and 1u Shifts for 60% with arrow would be the next keys in line of being added, but I've chosen to cut off before those already. I will consider these keys in future sets where I have an Extension kit.

Additionally, the UT47.2 (...and Whimsy, should that GB happen) would need an R2 1.5u backspace. I realize this key exists in the regular base kits, but a number of other keys it requires can't be obtained outside of the 40s kit (mostly the 2x R3 1.25u keys.)

second this, the 1.25 commit and 1.5 stash keys are useless without a 1.5u r2. they wont fit on any board.

The lack of R2 1.5u Revert key was an error of mine, usually I create 40s kits by having it inherit keys from a base kit. As it's a standalone kit, it should have its own, I simply missed to copy it over. An update to the kit will follow, thanks for pointing this out.

Any chance for some of those pikku renders with the ASCII alphas?

I have ordered two more layout renders, one with ASCII alphas, another with VIM  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:36:57 by Oblotzky »

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:33:16 »
Please press F for these beautiful Cadet alphas

Show Image

And for that beautiful mod colored pipe key in the same picture. Symmetry forever lost.

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:44:34 »

The put things into perspective, a set which had 2.6k base kits sold and 1.3k for the alt set, 0.2k 40s kits were sold. 

Do you use iso keys? if not do you not like having to pay for those in base kits? its kind of the same thing and for a lot of sets 40s is probably more popular than ISO.

We really don't mind if people decide not to support 40s, but if you notice Oblotzky will embarrassingly ignore any mention of the lack of 1.75 backspace. Wont reply in any meaningful way to posts about it etc. because it has nothing to do with desiring to make a good 40s kit. If they wanted to make a good one it would be really easy to reach out to 40s and get kitting advice. We have several members who have worked hard to find a good balance between price and compatibility for any set.

At this point the 40s community has started taking matters in to their own hands and creating our own sets. If people don't want to support us we simply won't support them no "hit list" needed. Its just sad that in such a cool hobby there would be silly things that keep some color pickers from being willing to make an actual good kit.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:04:28 »
lol. fml. ergo kit got cut even after hitting big #s on massdrop. the one set i was looking forward to getting ergo easily. this hobby ****ing sucks

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:48:10 »

Show Image

Thanks!

Any chance for:
Dark grey 1U: <`~>
Dark grey 1.5U: <\|>
... as in v2?

GMK Oblivion V2 (Monochrome Base Kit)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:51:12 »

Show Image

Thanks!

Any chance for:
Dark grey 1U: <`~>
Dark grey 1.5U: <\|>
... as in v2?

GMK Oblivion V2 (Monochrome Base Kit)
Show Image

Please refer to my last post about these keys.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:54:05 »
lol. fml. ergo kit got cut even after hitting big #s on massdrop. the one set i was looking forward to getting ergo easily. this hobby ****ing sucks

https://mkultra.click/gb-gmk-nord-keycaps/
Check out the assembly kit. It's getting made for sure.

Offline preisi

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 15:04:10 »
Hey,
first of all: Great set, I'm loving it (and not just because I missed out on the fun for the first runs of GMK Oblivion :P
I know mod pipe/tilde is a hot topic. It's simply lower on the priority list for keys in the base kit. For example 2u and 1u Shifts for 60% with arrow would be the next keys in line of being added, but I've chosen to cut off before those already. I will consider these keys in future sets where I have an Extension kit.
I get your reasoning regarding the priority of the Mod Pipe/Tilde keys, however I don't see any reason to not add an Extension kit for the mod keys: Yes, Oblivion does have 3 base kits but as far as I can see, those two extra keys would be compatible with all 3 of those kits as the modkey color and the legend color seem to be the same for all of them. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me :)

Best regards,
preisi

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 15:09:02 »
I get your reasoning regarding the priority of the Mod Pipe/Tilde keys, however I don't see any reason to not add an Extension kit for the mod keys: Yes, Oblivion does have 3 base kits but as far as I can see, those two extra keys would be compatible with all 3 of those kits as the modkey color and the legend color seem to be the same for all of them. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me :)

Best regards,
preisi

I would LOVE to have an icons mods!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 15:59:21 »
I think your reason for not including mod pipe/tilde are counter-intuitive at this point, because your loss of buyers over this outweighs those that would be put off by spending an extra 1 or 2 dollars/euros - but if this is the hill you want to die on, that's your prerogative.

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 17:29:02 »

I know mod pipe/tilde is a hot topic. It's simply lower on the priority list for keys in the base kit. For example 2u and 1u Shifts for 60% with arrow would be the next keys in line of being added, but I've chosen to cut off before those already. I will consider these keys in future sets where I have an Extension kit

I understand that keys inclusion or not is a matter of prioritization.  How you choose to prioritize keys is how, well, you prioritize them. For many (several of which have posted in the thread) mod tilde/pipe are important keys and are sad to see them excluded in favor of other keys that they don't want.   And probably more significantly are keys that historically have been part of nearly every single set for years.  Enough to say they are 'staple' keys for any set with differentiated mod colors.  In general, most of the exclusions of these keys have come from subsequent rounds of previously successful GB's which did include them in the prior runs, which has been disheartening to see, and the proposed kitting here continues that trend.

I (and others) would disagree with your prioritization of keys, which is what leads to this discussion, and the ask to consider them a higher priority than you clearly do at this time, as you have indicated that they are further down your list than keys which are very rarely in any set.

I expect you won't take my input, but nonetheless, please consider mod pipe/tilde as important keys as they are important to quite a few people.

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 18:01:33 »
Please consider to add mod pipe and tilde back.  Thanks.

Offline mizuwolf

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 18:59:58 »
Unfortunately, without mod pipe/tilde, I'll have to skip this set. bummer, but it is what it is :<

Offline Ram

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:11:01 »
echoing others, I cannot buy a set without mod pipe and tilde, will sadly have to skip this one too

Offline Ram

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:13:31 »

With so many sets being pumped out every month of course not every 40s set is going to make it. But if you are going to make a 40s kit it would make sense to offer the best compatibility possible to have a better chance at MOQ. As it stands this 40s kit is an ortho kit with some extra useless keys.

That would be a nice point if some sets did reach MOQ. But none have recently without significant help from vendors. None.

My set GMK Arch's GCC Kit covered Ortho/Ergo/40s and costed more than a normal 40s kit would have, it hit moq naturally and did well, and it has probably a tenth of the popularity of oblivion as a whole, not to mention that 40s are very popular among programmers and devs, which this set obviously caters to.

Offline ggmoss

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:30:18 »
mod pipe will be the cherry on top.  :thumb:

Offline Daddyfatsax

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:54:01 »
Liking the trend of not having mod pipe/tilde, especially if it lowers the base cost. Can't wait for GB!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:55:19 »
i am excited to buy this Keyset for my TKL, Compact 1800, Blackbird, and Extended TKL format Keyboard mechanical Keyboards

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 20:24:46 »
The latter will be a 1:1 copy of the kits lined up above, but with all the Oblivion Gray alpha keys replaced by Hagoromo alpha keys

Amazing, I’ll be so in on this!

Also, any plans for a PBT cherry profile version?

Offline heyimpanda

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 20:30:37 »
damn also echoing sadness about no mod tilde :(

guess with the git base kit i can just use the git novelty in its place

looking forward to seeing the pricing on this

Offline dxxbox

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 20:45:59 »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Offline autocast

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 21:49:24 »
Could 2x1.5u Super/Code (and extra 1u alt) be considered to support HHKB and Mac 7u users?

This please. 1.5u Super. MacOS users with 7u bottom row and F13 TKL — does anyone really use the F13 key in their kits? (Put aside a certain sweaty streamer and their kitting reviews)

Personally, for the extra 1u Alt — 1u Fn/Meta can be used instead.

Offline autocast

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 21:52:41 »
Monochrome base is just perfect.

Agree, this is the set. Your renders for GMK Diner use 1.25u Code next to Spacebar (MacOS) — do you not need 1.5u Code/Super for your boards?

Offline autocast

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:06:35 »
... Other kits can still be adjusted as well, should any errors be discovered.

... From its inception, the Oblivion keyset has been hamstrung by me because I added so many options to it. Multiple modifier types (Git, Regular, Monochrome) as well as two alpha colors (Oblivion Gray and Hagoromo) make decisions difficult.

... the best approach remains to have complete base kits.

Understood. Can you please add the missing 2 × 1.5u modifier keys Super/Code/Hyper/Meta/Whatever. Essential keys for MacOS users with 7u bottom row layouts. NB 1.5u mods are present in Muted R2 Extension kit and all previous Oblivion base kits.

It's annoying to see F13 added, but the modifers removed.

Edit: Typos, you not we
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:28:09 by autocast »

Offline Szei

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:15:51 »
This is my endgame colorway, but will have to pass on it without the mod pipe/tilde. Fortunately SA Oblivion still has this so if you don't mind the profile there is an alternative. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise anyway given GMK wait times.

Offline bball2

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:56:43 »
It just seems like some keyset designers (Oblotzky and Zambumon) are really adamant about not including mod colored tilde / pipe, no matter how much feedback they get about them.

No point in beating a dead horse, I don't see them changing their minds.

Offline Litch0617

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:58:19 »
no cadet alphas?

Offline Litch0617

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 00:00:55 »
hey,oblotzky
i'm your fans.i really love your works,especially the oblivion.in my humble opinion,the cadet alpha is very important in oblivion.So why you cut the kit?Really make me disappointed..could you tell me,whether we have no chance for cadet alpha? you know, we can use the gmk space cadet to replace the alpha,but the Hagoromo cadet alpha should be added.because we couldn't find anything to replace it..Really hope you will consider my suggestion,plz.we need cadet alpha indeed!!
sry for my poor english .. hope you will understand it
thx for your design,really nice

Offline enyau

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 00:57:39 »
Hi, the Salvun artisans are probably for R1. But yeah, just trying my luck here.

Wonder if there is the possibility to offer one of the Salvun artisans in R2 as well, for people who use 40% layouts like Planck.

Offline Dhaz

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 01:46:13 »
Any chance for the second Salvun keycap without the Git logo? It would look great with the monochrome set.