Author Topic: I wonder what is the layout of this keybaord?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline akkk44

I wonder what is the layout of this keybaord?
« on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 09:04:26 »

According to the source, this is a keyboard of Televideo 922 terminal. I have also seen some simular layouts like this keyboard. Could anyone tell me what is the name of its layout?

Offline akkk44

Re: I wonder what is the layout of this keybaord?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 09:05:10 »
286986-0

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 11:11:31 »
I can only give a generalization, but a lot of the weird layouts that existed before literally everybody standardized on ANSI, ISO, etc, may have never been given an official name by the manufacturer. A lot of the layout names we throw around like "Focus" were made up by the community.

The closest match to it on the Deskthority Wiki is the "LK201" layout. Which makes sense to me, since a lot of people seemed to copy DEC terminals. I have a DEC terminal keyboard clone at home myself.

Offline akkk44

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 07:57:48 »
I can only give a generalization, but a lot of the weird layouts that existed before literally everybody standardized on ANSI, ISO, etc, may have never been given an official name by the manufacturer. A lot of the layout names we throw around like "Focus" were made up by the community.

The closest match to it on the Deskthority Wiki is the "LK201" layout. Which makes sense to me, since a lot of people seemed to copy DEC terminals. I have a DEC terminal keyboard clone at home myself.

Thanks a lot!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 08:15:13 »
I would call that an ANSI layout. But it isn't an off-shoot of the IBM Enhanced Keyboard layout.

It follows the keyboard layout for the DEC VT-220 terminal but changed into ANSI, and with more keys around the numeric keypad.
The VT220 (that came with the LK201 keyboard) was introduced in 1983, and elements its keyboard layout with its inverse-T arrow-key arrangement served as direct inspiration for IBM's Enhanced Keyboard (1985) layout that is the norm today.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2022, 08:19:46 by Findecanor »