Author Topic: Tactile switch hunt: T1, koala or outemu sky?  (Read 16270 times)

Offline envyy24

Tactile switch hunt: T1, koala or outemu sky?
« on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 15:56:24 »
Hi all,

I want to build a new keeb for work (currently using mx brown, please dont judge) and since I can't cope with linear, tactile is the only option here.

For reference, I use Kailh box jade at home, which has 50 g actuation force and 60g bottom out. Don't get me wrong I love those switches to death, but this much tactility is the best that I can do, anything stronger would be too much for my weak ass fingers. How do I know? Well I actually get into this hobby via alps switch, first black then salmon, and had to sell them all recently because I just can't. And noise is a no no at work so I can't make another box jade keeb either.

So, I am looking for tactile switch that can produces the clear snappy feedback when you type like the box jade. I am looking at three options here:
1- Durock T1 67g
2- Durock Koala 62g
3- Outemu sky 62g

I have heard good thing about the T1, but I am afraid the weight might be too much for me. Koala is another reputable choice too, and the weighting might seem right. Outemu is included because, frankly, it is cheap and if the diff between it and the others is not much then I just go for that instead.

I am posting here because I think if I can find people that have tried most, if not all, of those above mentioned switches anywhere, it gotta be here.

Thanks for helping me out. Cheers friends.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
Re: Tactile switch hunt: T1, koala or outemu sky?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 16:27:12 »
I have experience from the first 2.

I prefer the T1 IMO. granted the koala switches I got were lubed so that can be a factor.

The T1's for me just feel more consistent.

have yet to try sky's

Offline envyy24

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 04:51:27 »
I have experience from the first 2.

I prefer the T1 IMO. granted the koala switches I got were lubed so that can be a factor.

The T1's for me just feel more consistent.

have yet to try sky's

Do you feel like T1 is noticeably heavier than koala?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 20:21:31 »
Have tried t1, silent sky. I hate to break it to you, but no MX tactiles will feel like BOX Jade. They use a different thing to generate the tactility - the clickbar, instead of the contact leaf.

T1 will be a more rounded bump vs the Jades' sharp bump.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 22:05:32 »
I have experience with the Skies. The OUTEMU Sky is modeled after the Ergo Clear, which is a lighter MX Clear.

Skies don't feel exactly like Ergo Clears, though, and there's something about them that feels a little more 'rubber dome.' Not that that's a bad thing, I enjoy the 62 gr Skies, they just need lubing, new springs, and the tight-tops. I wouldn't call them 'snappy,' and they're not like BOX Jades, but they are springy and reasonably tactile. 'Bouncy' is how I might describe them.

T1s are modeled after the current wave of highly tactile switches that actuate at the top, particularly Holy Pandas and Zealio V2. You can actually get silenced T1s now, called Tacit. I have a keyboard with V2 Zilents, and I would have to say that the tactile bump may be greater than that of the BOX Jade. So the T1s are something that you may find too tactile.

I'm typing this on 60 gr Ergo Clears. They have a nice rounded bump, but I wouldn't call them 'snappy' like the Jades. As Treeleaf said, no MX tactiles are like the Jade. The BOX Browns are closer. They actuate at the top, and they're 'snappy,' but they don't click. [Well, they do eventually click somewhat when the lube runs out]. One problem with the BOX Browns is that they are nearly as loud as the Jades, so that kinda rules them out.

I don't usually recommend this, but you might want to try Kailh Speed Copper. In some ways, they feel like a clicky switch without the click. It actuates at the top, a sharp hard 'click,' but not too loud. It's kinda weird to type on, but I use them for modifiers and various function keys. You might consider picking up a Kailh switch tester, since the BOX Browns and Speed Coppers might be worth trying.

--

tl;dr:

-T1s might be too tactile, as I find their contemporaries to be more tactile than BOX Jades

-But you can get silent T1s

-OUTEMU Sky is a bouncy Ergo Clear, switches need modification for optimal functioning, it is not a 'snappy' Jade-like tactility

-BOX Browns and Speed Coppers may be closer to what you get from BOX Jades. But BOX Browns are almost as loud.

Offline Venaros

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 16:35:20 »
I have experience with the Skies. The OUTEMU Sky is modeled after the Ergo Clear, which is a lighter MX Clear.

Skies don't feel exactly like Ergo Clears, though, and there's something about them that feels a little more 'rubber dome.' Not that that's a bad thing, I enjoy the 62 gr Skies, they just need lubing, new springs, and the tight-tops. I wouldn't call them 'snappy,' and they're not like BOX Jades, but they are springy and reasonably tactile. 'Bouncy' is how I might describe them.

T1s are modeled after the current wave of highly tactile switches that actuate at the top, particularly Holy Pandas and Zealio V2. You can actually get silenced T1s now, called Tacit. I have a keyboard with V2 Zilents, and I would have to say that the tactile bump may be greater than that of the BOX Jade. So the T1s are something that you may find too tactile.

I'm typing this on 60 gr Ergo Clears. They have a nice rounded bump, but I wouldn't call them 'snappy' like the Jades. As Treeleaf said, no MX tactiles are like the Jade. The BOX Browns are closer. They actuate at the top, and they're 'snappy,' but they don't click. [Well, they do eventually click somewhat when the lube runs out]. One problem with the BOX Browns is that they are nearly as loud as the Jades, so that kinda rules them out.

I don't usually recommend this, but you might want to try Kailh Speed Copper. In some ways, they feel like a clicky switch without the click. It actuates at the top, a sharp hard 'click,' but not too loud. It's kinda weird to type on, but I use them for modifiers and various function keys. You might consider picking up a Kailh switch tester, since the BOX Browns and Speed Coppers might be worth trying.

--

tl;dr:

-T1s might be too tactile, as I find their contemporaries to be more tactile than BOX Jades

-OUTEMU Sky is a bouncy Ergo Clear, switches need modification for optimal functioning, it is not a 'snappy' Jade-like tactility

-BOX Browns and Speed Coppers may be closer to what you get from BOX Jades. But BOX Browns are almost as loud.

While switches like Zealios, Holy Pandas, and T1's have the bump at/really near the top of the press, the actuation isn't paired with the bump--the actuation is after the bump, much closer to the middle of the press.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 21:57:45 »

--

tl;dr:

While switches like Zealios, Holy Pandas, and T1's have the bump at/really near the top of the press, the actuation isn't paired with the bump--the actuation is after the bump, much closer to the middle of the press.

Lol, I think that's the last thing I would have noticed. Holy Pandas are not bad, as they offer sort of a medium tactility, but Zealios and T1 are way too tactile. Almost painful, even.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 09:55:23 »

That's a good point. With the current generation of super-tactile switches (Zealios/T1), you can push past that huge tactile bump without actuating the switch, which is a little lower. I've actually done that on my Zilents, you can hold them past the 'bump' without actuating them.

The huge bump, followed by the mid-switch actuation point, means that you can't just lightly bump a key with a weaker finger to actuate it, as easily as you can with less-tactile switches (including Zealio V1 and Ergo Clear). You get more 'partial presses' or false-actutations, I've seen people comment on it.

I have less experience with Holy Pandas. The ones I tried at a meetup felt like 'super-Browns,' in a good way. Big, rounded, but not super-resistant tactile bump. I think they were GSUS Pandas. I could get along with those, but they are loud switches. Bought 70 Halo Clears, and maybe it's time to start making some when YOK restocks.

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 15:27:54 »
You can't really get the same tactility from clickies like the jades because they get their tactility from the clickbar, that said, i think that lubed t1's are the best out of the three.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 11:07:29 »
T1 and Koala have the same slider and probably the same top housing. You're mostly just feeling the difference in the spring weights. They are both good switches too, they just need switch films.

Outemu Sky is somewhat unusual but can be very nice to type on. Worth getting a few of each to test. Put a row of 4-5 in a plate you intend to you use, with good keycaps on, and do a side-by-side comparison.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline envyy24

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 11:28:05 »
Hey yo,

Thank you all for the information. At the end I decided to opt for koala 62g switches. I now understand that Im trying to compare apple to orange here, since the tactility of the box jade differs fundamentally from tactile switches. Therefore I went for the option that seems to fit me the most. Hope it will work out, I am still waiting for the products due to the global crisis we are having.

Again, thank you all, have a great Sunday and stay safe.

Offline nonmemo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 02:49:52 »
Hey yo,

Thank you all for the information. At the end I decided to opt for koala 62g switches. I now understand that Im trying to compare apple to orange here, since the tactility of the box jade differs fundamentally from tactile switches. Therefore I went for the option that seems to fit me the most. Hope it will work out, I am still waiting for the products due to the global crisis we are having.

Hi envyy24,  I know the thread is a bit dated.  How do the koalas feel?  Are they smooth out of the stock, or did you have to mod them?  Thanks.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 04:02:12 »
Hey yo,

Hi envyy24,  I know the thread is a bit dated.  How do the koalas feel?  Are they smooth out of the stock, or did you have to mod them?  Thanks.

Hi, they feel great but I would preferred T1 simply due to the weighting. Yes, i ended up buying each of those switches lmao. And no mod necessary, at least for me, for either T1 or Koala, they are great out of the box. If you re very picky then I guess you can film them.

Offline nonmemo

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 02:40:40 »
Thanks for the reply.  Great to know that they are quite good out of stock.  I happen to find some Koala, both 62g and 67g, on https://keygem.store/.  Going to have a try on the 67g then.
Happy typing, envyy24!

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 08:40:26 »
Having tried only T1 and outemu sky from the options you provided, T1 is an easy winner. I'm maybe not the best person to give advice in that regard but I don't find them too heavy at all.

I would add Box Royals to your list. Different bump profile to T1 but not necessarily better or worse depending on your preference, and they can be picked up a lot cheaper than T1s. Just make sure you're not buying pre-retooled (i.e. 'stem cracker') if you're planning on using any kind of valuable ABS caps (I've had no problem with PBT caps or resin artisans, haven't been brave enough to sacrifice GMK caps to test for myself).

Offline nonmemo

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 14:02:10 »
Thanks, nathanchere.  Some Koalas are already on their way now.  I will keep an eye on the box royals. :))

Offline swifthunting

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 23:49:41 »
Dead thread, I know but if you're looking for a tactile that mimics a clicky switch, especially the click of the Jade's, I think BOX Royal's would be perfect for you. Hope you're enjoying the switches!

Offline jamster

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 00:25:48 »

I have Silent Skies, Ergo Clear 65 /w o-rings, Speed Copper.

Agreed on Silent Skies feeling more 'rubber dome', and had attributed that just to the mushier bottom out. I quite like them.

The impression I have from Speed Copper is 'snappier' but that's down to shortish travel and harsh bottom out. For a work board, I would still prefer Silent Sky for the... silent. Speed Copper (at least without o-rings) are still obnoxiously clacky.

Edit: Gah, I didn't notice the last digit of the date, and thought this thread was from yesterday, rather than 1 year and 1 day ago.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2021, 00:27:20 by jamster »