Author Topic: Duck Viper V2 Mount Damping  (Read 843 times)

Offline alumoocow

Duck Viper V2 Mount Damping
« on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 14:08:09 »
Hello!

I recently finished my first build and I'm very happy with it (https://imgur.com/MFGHNp8) - it's a Duck Viper V2 with some lubed Tealios in there.
I enjoyed the process a lot even though I had a right mare desoldering everything after I realised my return key was a bit clicky or rattly on one side, even with the Zeal stabs I used (perhaps I didn't screw it in tightly enough).

Now my question is regarding making it VERY SLIGHTLY less stiff - not too much - and this is not necessarily because I think it IS too stiff, but because I want to experiment a bit until I can afford any sort of next project.

It's mounted with a stainless steel plate, and I was wondering whether there is a possibility of adding some sort of padding between the screws and the plate that attach it to the top of the case (since it's top mounted).
Orings would probably be too large, perhaps something like a very thing layer of rubber instead - but that still may be too much and not make it fit properly anymore potentially.
What type of rubber should I be looking at - if at all?

And would that even do anything in the first place or would it make it too wobbly perhaps?

Again, I'm not dissatisfied, I've just been bitten by the "I want to be involved and think about keyboards a lot now" bug.

I'm also wondering whether anyone has ever done anything like that before, particularly relating to top mounted situations - I couldn't find anything using the search function, apologies if there is information about that already and I'm just inept at research.

EDIT:

I did something along the lines of what I outlined above: I got some sealing tape foam and tried to put it between screws and top plate.
I however immediately didn't like it and reverted everything (this was likely just my mind playing tricks on me because the foam was too narrow to have made any sort of real world difference).
Moral of the story - if it's good don't make it not good.

I now bought myself a planck kit and some topre orings for my hhkb pro 2 to satisfy my desire to fiddle and mess around. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 March 2021, 13:22:47 by alumoocow »