Author Topic: Topre. Insights?  (Read 11628 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Topre. Insights?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:26:05 »
Yeah, maybe it was a Type S?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:26:24 »
-_-

That's good to know then. I tried Tipo33's HHKB and there was zero thocking. Of course I also didn't slam on it.

Dumb question time. Are there plated and unplated HHKBs? I swear the HHKB I tried in Chicago had zero thocking and the boards only thock if they have plates IIRC.

Isn't there a 'silent' version?

Yes but I know nothing about Topre so I'm not sure if the HHKB has a silent version or not. I know Realforces can be silent. I've ignored all things Topre since I tried them in Chicago but I want to try them again at Keycon just to confirm my thoughts on Topre.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:32:25 »
Isn't the HHKB case-mounted?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:35:26 »
Isn't the HHKB case-mounted?

Case mounted? What is that?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:05:03 »
That means the switches are mounted into the case (which has an internal component) vs. a plate. 

As far as the thock....HHKBs have the most out of any of the current Topre boards...More than the Leo and a LOT more than the RF....Plate mounted = less thock.

It is really hard to evaluate Topre in just a few minutes..or a few days...Especially when you're used to Cherry, when you first try Topre you'll think..these are just rubber domes!  They feel just like normal rubber domes!  And immediately a lot of people will think..well if they're rubber domes, what a waste..Now, some people will give them more time and realize..well, these aren't just like my rubber dome keyboards..they are similar in many ways but different in others...and some just won't...

Personally I think they're fantastic for typing...not so great for gaming..and the variable RF is really bad for gaming (and no way anyone can convince me that a key that can actuate just by resting your finger on it is good for gamin).  One of the biggest downsides to Topre though is the lack of available options...Keycaps are essentially non-existent (there are some, including CCs but not a lot)...You don't see any custom keyboards (because the switches aren't sold like that)...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:11:33 »
I've never ever heard plate mount called case mount.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:29:30 »
I've never ever heard plate mount called case mount.

That's because it isn't.

Plate mount = Mounted on a Plate.

HHKB does not have a plate.  It is NOT, however, just mounted onto just a PCB.  It actually mounts into the case.  Just google up some pics, you'll see what I mean....I forgot who started calling it case mounted but that term is probably really accurate...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:31:51 »
Interesting. Thanks for the knowledge! For anyone who's interested:

From here

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:55:28 »
That's because it isn't.

Plate mount = Mounted on a Plate.

HHKB does not have a plate.  It is NOT, however, just mounted onto just a PCB.  It actually mounts into the case.  Just google up some pics, you'll see what I mean....I forgot who started calling it case mounted but that term is probably really accurate...

That was probably me

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:09:29 »
Interesting to see what's inside a HHKB - thanks for posting :)

I am unlikely to disassemble mine in the foreseeable future.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:21:35 »

What?  You must disassemble it....lube the metal stablizer bars....then reassemble it.  It quiets the stablizers considerably.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:26:57 »

What?  You must disassemble it....lube the metal stablizer bars....then reassemble it.  It quiets the stablizers considerably.

I have two Model M to refurbish first, then probably a few keycap sets to play with, then after that ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 22:56:02 »

Show Image

From here
This is why there will most likely never be a metal HHKB case. Too hard to replicate and too expensive to produce.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:00:06 »

Show Image

From here
This is why there will most likely never be a metal HHKB case. Too hard to replicate and too expensive to produce.

You could probably make some thin metal cladding that would fit around the existing plastic case.

Or maybe a metal case bottom and a metal cladding to fit around the case top.

Offline Topre

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:07:17 »
Or just buy a HHKB Professional HG. Metal cases since 2006.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:11:19 »

Well there you go.

I'd never heard of that anniversary model.

Nice :)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:12:03 »
'just' :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Topre

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:17:51 »

Well they aren't for sale anymore, so a bit of force such as guns or tanks might be required to get it from a place that does have it. Or you can get a job at a secret location in which you may be able to smuggle one out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:25:48 »

Well they aren't for sale anymore, so a bit of force such as guns or tanks might be required to get it from a place that does have it. Or you can get a job at a secret location in which you may be able to smuggle one out.

Is that all? ;)

Offline Topre

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:34:14 »

Is that all? ;)

Well you will have to find someone that has one, or the location of where you can find more than one. I will not be revealing this location because I do plan on doing something. ;)

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 03:49:42 »
There's a room inside the pfu headquarters like in mission impossible. You have to come down on a wire like tom cruise. That's also where they keep the hhkb 3.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 03:51:18 by dnix »

Offline fantus

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:18:03 »
Every time I see a thread about Topre, everyone neglects to mention it's a capacitive switch that you don't need to bottom out for the keypress to measure. And to address James' statement, I got my first Topre board because one popped up at a steal for 170 in the classifieds. I had only tried MX Blues and Reds on actual keyboards, blacks on a tenkey, and two of those three were PCB mounted (which I truly hate) before I got my Topre. In comparison to other rubber domes, Topre is much lighter, smoother, and makes a much better sound. The boards ooze quality out of every seam, and they're just phenomenal products.

You have a very similar situation and opinion as I do. Personally I have only owned a MX brown filco and a north-gate with white alps before purchasing the Topre. What I have to say is that the sound is what really made the purchase for me; when gaming with friends over mumble or skype, my microphone was catching the loud sound of the mechanical switches.

I will say that my Topre is a 55g. When I first bought it over a year and a half ago I was worried that - coming from experiencing white alps - the high actuation force and metal plate might cause a heavy impact.  My fingers felt RATTLED when typing on white alps. In retrospect the shock was actually created by the short key travel after a high actuation, this gave too short of a time for me to slow down my keypress. However after a few weeks of typing experience on a 55g Topre the impact turned out to not be a problem. I remember when I was actively lurking on the geekhack forums two years ago there was a widely quoted analogy - 'Cloud of Boobs' - which is more accurate than I expected (I realize that this analogy also refers to the shape of the rubber domes :P). I think I should highlight the fact that it took 2 weeks of heavy use for my fingers to adapt to the high actuation force of this keyboard, in that time my finger muscles grew. Because of my stronger fingers I had a new love of the now relatively VERY light mx-brown switches, but I unfortunately had to sell the Filco to finance this purchase. It is not my belief that the 2 weeks of heavy use acted to break in the rubber domes since I purchased my board used.

Another one of the perks that come with this keyboard I only first experienced just a few weeks ago. At the time I decided to clean my keyboard of all the gunk that had accumulated between the keys from the past 1.5 years. I took apart the board with no problems, and found that you could unscrew the circuit board from the metal plate (and plastic keyswitches) to easily access the rubberdomes and copper coils. This design philosophy allowed me to wash the metal plate as well as the insides of the keyswitches with no worries of harming the circuit board or rubber domes that had just been removed, and then quickly dry them out with a hairdryer. (Sadly when I reapplied the metal plate I miscovered the numberpad enter's rubber dome, so it no-longer actuates. To explain; the domes are not all stuck to the circuit board allowing some to shift around on the circuit board when the metal plate is removed. I had forgotten to re-position the rubberdome and copper coil of my numberpad enter key upon reapplying the plate) This design also allows an easy mod which involves DIY soft landing pads. If I can find a silicon sheet retailer in Canada I will definitely try it (upon which time I will fix the aforementioned  key). I have little memory of the time I cleaned my Filco, but I believe that the keyswitches were soldered into the circuit board making it harder to clean or mod out different mx switches.

The few complaints I have with this keyboard is the lack of Topre keycap group buys, the lack of an ABS plastic spacebar (which is now sooooo shiny), the hard to read dark keycaps (I have the black version and wish I had the white one), and the sad fact that availability of such an awesome product is so scarce (or unaffordable) in Canada. At the end of the day I have been using this keyboard for a year and a half - which was bought used - and have had very few problems or wear to the keyboard itself.

In retrospect I realize that apart from the noise level and a few perks of the build quality, between this and my previous Filco there is little differentiation in appreciation. That being said I paid only $20-$30 more (This is outstanding considering that I live in Canada), which justifies the purchase. It would be hard for me to recommend this board to someone else without a similarly outstanding deal. However if the sound of mechanical keys is a problem for you it would be hard to find  a better keyboard experience than a Topre to fit those extenuating circumstance (to my knowledge). Remember this is a premium product and there is little reason you should buy it if you are not: 1. An avid keyboard collector, or 2. In heavy need of a quiet high quality keyboard (a large budget doesn't hurt either).

The more I post in these Topre review forums the more I realize they are circle jerking people's opinions and previous decisions, I  would support having a stickied thread to answer the question of MX vs Topre so we as a community can move on.

tl;dr Only read this if you need anecdotal evidence and my own personal experience with Topre keyboards and keyswitches before you make a decision. If you don't feel like reading it before making a decision, then I personally believe you are far too careless with your expendable income. If you have all ready made up your mind on the topic, don't bother wasting your time reading mine. Of course, the decision is yours :)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 19:31:37 »
Is there a reason there aren't more group buys? I know there's enough people interested, and most people have issue with the price, which group buys would help alleviate.

And hopefully there comes more keycap options in the near future. I just don't think it's spread far enough yet.

Also, I've got in contact with one of our Korean members, in an attept to find information on any upcoming conventions, but he's saying there aren't as many as we might think. There might be some small gatherings, however.

I also talked to one of our Korean augmentations to the us army, and ended up having to spend 20 minutes trying to describe what a convention is. He decided he could take me to an electronic's store, and I gave up.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 20:39:15 »
Is there a reason there aren't more group buys? I know there's enough people interested, and most people have issue with the price, which group buys would help alleviate.

And hopefully there comes more keycap options in the near future. I just don't think it's spread far enough yet.

Also, I've got in contact with one of our Korean members, in an attept to find information on any upcoming conventions, but he's saying there aren't as many as we might think. There might be some small gatherings, however.

I also talked to one of our Korean augmentations to the us army, and ended up having to spend 20 minutes trying to describe what a convention is. He decided he could take me to an electronic's store, and I gave up.

Nobody makes topre keys (like SP makes mx) to do group buys with.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 20:51:58 »
Well, they have to be manufactured someplace. And I didn't just mean key buys, I meant board group buys as well.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 21:05:10 »

Nobody makes topre keys (like SP makes mx) to do group buys with.

Actually CC is probably the best known Topre custom key maker :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 21:15:31 »
Well, they have to be manufactured someplace. And I didn't just mean key buys, I meant board group buys as well.

Last topre group buy got a little ugly.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 21:52:12 »

Now you're piqued my interest.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 22:10:00 »

Now you're piqued my interest.

Why was it ugly?

I've been told that Topre owns all the molds and won't give up the designs so the caps can't be made by anyone else.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 22:17:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 22:16:25 »
Ah. That would prove a problem. Well, I don't know how HHKB does it, but maybe we could do a composed group buy? Are there any blank Topre keys out there, made by someone with permissions? And if so, buy a certain amount of them, and have them sent to WASD for some laser etching?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 22:18:53 »
Ah. That would prove a problem. Well, I don't know how HHKB does it, but maybe we could do a composed group buy? Are there any blank Topre keys out there, made by someone with permissions? And if so, buy a certain amount of them, and have them sent to WASD for some laser etching?

They buy caps from Topre. I was told all the manufacturer of Topre boards have to buy from them. Topre won't let anyone do GBs apparently and EliteKeyboards said that the colors that Topre have aren't great.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 23:41:07 »
Topre doesn't do GBs directly from them, but they don't have any say who their suppliers sell to. If we can get HHKB to buy some black, or just white keycaps, we could do up some designs for laser etching.

It's not a great solution, no pretty colors, but we get some customization going on.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 07:19:18 »
Topre doesn't do GBs directly from them, but they don't have any say who their suppliers sell to. If we can get HHKB to buy some black, or just white keycaps, we could do up some designs for laser etching.

Are you sure? If that's the case why hasn't anyone else done this? Isn't that the reason why only EliteKeyboards has Topre boards for sale in the US? Because they have a say about who gets to sell their products and what they get to sell?
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 August 2013, 07:21:48 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Se7en

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 09:57:46 »
Is there a reason there aren't more group buys?

Here is the thread with the attempted Topre keycaps group buy that comes to mind:

[IC] Topre "Red Alert" Keycaps [Red Print on White Caps]

If I remember correctly it does not specifically say why it failed, I guess you could PM 002 and ask him.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 03:27:53 »
I wish Vortex/KBC would look into this, they did a great job with all the PBT MX caps!
A Topre spacebar made of PBT instead of ABS would be nice for the start... :3

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 07:59:52 »
A custom mould for the topre keys will be very expensive . Ive read some where that its 1000's of dollars.

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:52:51 »
I guess our Chinese friends would have the resources to do Topre caps...
Look at all the molds they did for MX caps, ABS/POM/PBT in OEM profile, Cherry profile, and now even PBT doubleshots.