Author Topic: Monoprice "Pro" Backlit Gaming Keyboard  (Read 11594 times)

Offline jameslr

Monoprice "Pro" Backlit Gaming Keyboard
« on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:10:57 »
Never seen this one before. Looks pretty nice - has aluminum body but only comes in red switch type. Has macro keys but I like the nice low profile.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab3=b&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.1&c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=10579&seq=1&format=2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2F%3Fref%3Dcj

CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline thesentinel

Re: Monoprice "Pro" Backlit Gaming Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:13:04 »
Looks pretty cheap for an aluminum body.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:14:55 »
It can't be solid 6061 at that price though, that's for sure.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:16:16 »
Actually looks pretty nice considering the exposed plate design.

I would like to see an exposed PCB mount design.  That might be kind of cool.

It can't be solid 6061 at that price though, that's for sure.

My guess would be stamped aluminum.  The 6061 alloy is one of the cheaper alloys most likely due to being one of the most common and relative ease to work with.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jameslr

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:18:54 »
I think this is new. I can't seem to find any reviews on it anywhere. If anyone ends up buying one please post a review! :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 12:15:08 »
Huh, that's a a fun little keyboard. I like that low profile aluminum case.  I'm not so sold on the macro keys (or keycaps) but at least they're not set far from the alphas like the Blackwidow has.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 12:16:01 »
Huh, that's a a fun little keyboard. I like that low profile aluminum case.  I'm not so sold on the macro keys (or keycaps) but at least they're not set far from the alphas like the Blackwidow has.

plus it looks like a pretty standard layout.  So cap replacement should be fairly painless.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 12:17:54 »
That is very true, they did get the keycap sizes right :D. I meant more that they look like that rubber coated ABS material that QFR caps seem to use. I'm not a fan of those caps or of that font.

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 12:25:22 »
Monoprice OEM from dearmo i think

55713-0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43588.0
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 12:28:09 by HendyZone »

Offline jameslr

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 12:40:00 »
Nice find Hendy! It does look like the Dearmo one. I can't find any reviews on that one either though :(

I did find a white w/ brushed aluminum top that looks really slick. I kinda want one...

Offline simon_C

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 13:43:12 »
I like that style, along with the K65, but as was said before, they only have reds, which is disappointing.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:41:19 »
looks like it has even modifiers so it should be easy to get replacement keycaps  :thumb:
has anyone published reviews for it yet on Youtube or something?

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Internet Friend

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 18:15:22 »
I like that Dearmo appears to be the company behind that Levetron Mech5 monstrosity, and now they're selling this design.  :p  If this thing has any quality control at all I see it selling all right with people just dipping their toes in mechanical keyboards.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 18:46:38 »

I'd say macro keys on the keyboard are useless. The only macros I find useful are the ones on your mouse or... I suppose foot pad.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 20:57:35 »
Looks pretty damn good...  :p

Offline lexroad

• -__- lime
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 13:10:08 »
If you're looking for an aluminum keyboard have a look at this one, it seems pretty nice too. http://www.banggood.com/Flashget-G600-Wired-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Black-Switch-p-78658.html
Keycool 84 White W/ Reds

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 13:12:32 »
I like the design.  Now if only they sold separate wrist rests, I'd be all over those!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:26:48 »
If you're looking for an aluminum keyboard have a look at this one, it seems pretty nice too. http://www.banggood.com/Flashget-G600-Wired-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Black-Switch-p-78658.html
Someone posted a review on it... Showed the internals and soldering looked like crap.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:49:55 »

If anything, the macro keys are further away from everything else than on the Blackwidow...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline blighty

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:16:02 »
I have this board.  It didn't come with the software to program the back-lighting or macros, although the scroll wheel controls the volume right out of the box (clicking volume wheel will allow one to increase or decrease backlight intensity).  I've rar'd up the driver install ".exe" in 2 parts if anyone ends up with this board and wants it to actually work properly (without driver back-lighting just "breathes/heartbeats").  I got it to try plate-mounted MX reds.  I'm a now a fan.  Built quality is decent, no pinging or echos when bottoming out.

* Monoprice MP-GBL4 Gaming Keyboard Driver_Single EXE Image V1.09_20131203.part1.rar (5859.4 kB - downloaded 202 times.)
* Monoprice MP-GBL4 Gaming Keyboard Driver_Single EXE Image V1.09_20131203.part2.rar (5137.2 kB - downloaded 190 times.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:18:12 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline jjay

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:50:24 »
I have this board.  It didn't come with the software to program the back-lighting or macros, although the scroll wheel controls the volume right out of the box (clicking volume wheel will allow one to increase or decrease backlight intensity).  I've rar'd up the driver install ".exe" in 2 parts if anyone ends up with this board and wants it to actually work properly (without driver back-lighting just "breathes/heartbeats").  I got it to try plate-mounted MX reds.  I'm a now a fan.  Built quality is decent, no pinging or echos when bottoming out.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the dl- prob a newb question tho... how do I make use of / rejoin the 2 parts of the exe file?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:29:52 »
Hey blighty, if you have time could you do a review and tear down photos? I have been keeping an eye on this model since it was teased at computex last year and would like to know a bit more about it and the build quality before buying one. Since I would likely want to modify it out of the box I am especially interested in the PCB/soldering quality.

Offline absfac

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:34:26 »
I have this board.  It didn't come with the software to program the back-lighting or macros, although the scroll wheel controls the volume right out of the box (clicking volume wheel will allow one to increase or decrease backlight intensity).  I've rar'd up the driver install ".exe" in 2 parts if anyone ends up with this board and wants it to actually work properly (without driver back-lighting just "breathes/heartbeats").

If you don't mind me asking, does that mean this is pretty much Windows-only then? Do you need the drivers in regular operation, or can you plug the board into a Windows box, program it up, and then disconnect it and plug it into another machine?

Also, where do these drivers come from? People should be a little wary of running random EXEs off the Internet. Not that I think you'd be trying to infect people, but I don't necessarily trust the place it came from & it would be nice to know. It looks like people are passing this thing around in forums like a piece of folklore.

Offline blighty

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 18:40:10 »
I kind of forgot I posted in this thread.  I can try and do a more in depth review.  As for the source of the file, it was from another forum?  Damned if I don't remember where.  I'll have to look.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 19:16:40 »
looks really sweet!

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 14:43:14 »
Bit of a necro, but the keyboard is available on Massdrop again.  Drivers can be downloaded at http://www.monopricehub.com/files/drivers/10579_Drivers_Win_v1.09_131203.zip.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:04:01 »
Bit of a necro, but the keyboard is available on Massdrop again.  Drivers can be downloaded at http://www.monopricehub.com/files/drivers/10579_Drivers_Win_v1.09_131203.zip.

No worries. I was thinking of necro-ing this thread myself lol