Author Topic: Leopold FC660C dye sub vs HHKB  (Read 11659 times)

Offline Ruhz

Leopold FC660C dye sub vs HHKB
« on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 01:40:35 »
Saw some of them said that the leopold fc660c provide a better typing feel than the hhkb..

Is it true??

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Leopold FC660C dye sub vs HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 01:49:13 »
no.

hhkb is the better keyboard.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 02:26:55 »
The fc660c felt weird typing on.
I ended up selling it 2 days after I got it.  :-X
hi

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 03:15:46 »
HHKB > FC660C

The layout and feel of the HHKB is just better to me.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 04:28:07 »
The FC660C has a more solid build and has dedicated arrow keys.

I find it more useful than my (extremely expensive) HHKB.

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 04:38:30 »
Seems like you came down to the right two choices. They both got their good/bads and comes down to personal preference. Look at the layout, board weight and availability near your location.
Goodluck!  :thumb:

PS. Im extremely satisfied with my 660c  :p
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 04:54:20 »
HHKB is case-mounted, and from all accounts sounds better than FC660C.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Keybatant

• topre and cigar
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 05:12:40 »
layout & mobility wise -> hhkb
typing experience and metal plate -> 87u (55)
I have fc660c and is eating dust at this moment, probably will sell it at some point.
Anyway, with a big smile, I think that leo keyb is for this "smart ones", who don't want ending buying both hhkb & 87u combo, just like to have something in between.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 08:12:20 »
They are both excellent keyboards.

I like 55g case mount, and 45g plate mount for topre.

^-^ ^-^ ^-^
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 08:41:33 »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 09:15:34 »
Among Topre-switch boards, I have tried the Leopold FC660C, HHKB Pro 2, HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, CM Novatouch, RF 87ub 45g, and RF 87ub 55g.

I liked the sound and feel of the FC660C, but at the time, the keycap selection was limited and the layout was not quite to my liking, so I sold it.

My favorite form factor is 60% and I really like the HHKB Pro 2 layout. I like the sound and feel of the standard HHKB Pro 2 better than the Type-S, but sometimes I get tired of the hollow plasticky sound of the HHKB Pro 2.

The Novatouch is good for making use of my Cherry mx keycap collection, but it feels too light to me and does not embody the Topre experience the way my other Topre-switch keyboards do.

The look, sound, and feel of the RF boards make me feel as if I am getting my money's worth. I like both of them, but I give the edge to the 55g model for its excellent tactile feedback. TKL is also my second-favorite form factor.

The RF and FC660C boards sound and feel more solid than the HHKB Pro 2, probably because the HHKB has case-mounted switches and the others have plate-mounted switches. Sometimes I think that the perfect board for me would be a plate-mounted 55g HHKB. But the case-mounted sound and feel is not necessarily a bad thing. The plate-mounted switches feel less yielding, whereas the case-mounted switches have more give.

If I had to rank these keyboards, considering all the factors that are important to me, the ranking would be something like this:

HHKB Pro 2 > RF 87ub 55g > RF 87ub 45g > HHKB Pro 2 Type-S> FC660C >> Novatouch

The FC660C is a very nice and solid keyboard. I rank it lower than most of the others because at the time I bought mine, it was hard to find replacement keycaps and I didn't quite like the layout and asymmetry of the board. The rankings for the top five are also rather close to each other; it would be hard to go wrong with any of these boards, although when considering all six, I would not recommend the Novatouch without some reservations.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 11:33:15 »
Both amazing boards. But I'd go with HHKB just because its legendary!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 02:13:01 »
Fc660c all the way, it has a plate! Just dental band it first though or its noisy.

Offline skuko

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 03:06:43 »
i have both the RF 55g unifrom and the FC660C and i have to say i like the FC660C more. can't put a finger on why exactly, but i like it more. i think it's a combination of the form factor, build and sexiness :)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 03:25:17 »
HHKB by far > everything else.

Pretty sure the FC660c is also extremely expensive.
null

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 03:28:45 »
layout & mobility wise -> hhkb
typing experience and metal plate -> 87u (55)
I have fc660c and is eating dust at this moment, probably will sell it at some point.
Anyway, with a big smile, I think that leo keyb is for this "smart ones", who don't want ending buying both hhkb & 87u combo, just like to have something in between.
That's like saying you want a bicycle and a unicycle but don't want to buy both so you buy a 1.5-cycle that is a gimped version of both.
null

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 03:33:53 »

Anything Topre is more expensive than the closest MX, Alps or BS equivalent.

But FC660C is usually a bit cheaper than HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline awts

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 04:10:44 »
Or maybe the Type Heaven is the cheapest Topre board on the market right now...  :eek:

Take note the key caps are ABS though...

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 06:17:14 »
HHKB is case-mounted, and from all accounts sounds better than FC660C.

From all accounts? Certainly not.

Compared to the FC660C, for example, the HHKB sounds like a hollow plastic box. Which it is, as it has no metal plate inside. It's good for the weight, but not for the feel and sound.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 06:24:48 »

My HHKB Type-S ($350) is almost twice as expensive than my FC660C ($180).

The lack of dedicated arrow keys on the HHKB make purchasing one a risky bet: what if you don't adapt to this? I have read plenty of stories here about people selling theirs after a few weeks.

The FC660C has arrow keys, which makes it a safe purchase.

Offline Keybatant

• topre and cigar
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 09:16:01 »

Is hard to disagree, I wouldn't start "journey" with topre from HHKB type-s. Is hard to measure if is worthy the premium price from practical point of view.
If money are on stick, Leo is very good option, heavy but still small, new added white option color looks very nice, and is still topre :)

Offline zentic

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 09:58:16 »
Its personal preference, I have a hhkb but I prefer the feel of the fc660c because of the metal plate but I love the layout and sound
HHKB2 Dark&Blank |  Realforce 104UB-DK

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 10:12:14 »
The FC660C was not a safe purchase for me. Although I liked the sound and feel, I didn't like the layout on the lower left of the keyboard, and at the time, it was difficult to get good replacement keycaps, so I gave it away.

Now my favorite Topre boards are the RF 87ub 55g and HHKB Pro 2; I switch back and forth, because I like the sound and feel of the RF, but I like the form factor and layout of the HHKB. These two boards also reflect my preference for form factors -- I like TKL and 60%, but I have never been able to adapt to keyboards that are somewhere between. When I use a TKL board or a 60% other than the HHKB, I remap the boards to something as close as possible to the Mac/HHKB layout.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 14:05:47 »

My HHKB Type-S ($350) is almost twice as expensive than my FC660C ($180).

The lack of dedicated arrow keys on the HHKB make purchasing one a risky bet: what if you don't adapt to this? I have read plenty of stories here about people selling theirs after a few weeks.

Can't go by the prices of last year when making these comparisons when they aren't valid anymore. I got my Type-S for 250 (can still be had for this price) and the cheapest FC660C is now 230+
null

Offline Valen

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 01:47:05 »
Can't go by the prices of last year when making these comparisons when they aren't valid anymore. I got my Type-S for 250 (can still be had for this price) and the cheapest FC660C is now 230+
I completely agree with the above because they cost pretty much the same nowadays for me to get them. Still torn between these two.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 14:37:36 »
I completely agree with the above because they cost pretty much the same nowadays for me to get them. Still torn between these two.
No need to be torn between the two. The HHKB is the correct choice in this situation  :thumb:

The only reason the FC660C is selling for so much money now is because there is no readily available source from which to buy it so sellers with the board jack up the prices because there are still those who will want to buy it.

Hell, when the FC660C was selling for 189 on EliteKeyboards.com, tons of people still bought the HHKB over it even though the HHKB cost 300-400 (dollars depending on model) back then.

Now that the FC660C supply has dried out and HHKB prices have dropped (this most likely has something to do with the Japanese currency exchange rate), the choice is a no-brainer.
null

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 16:20:30 »
No need to be torn between the two. The HHKB is the correct choice in this situation  :thumb:

The only reason the FC660C is selling for so much money now is because there is no readily available source from which to buy it so sellers with the board jack up the prices because there are still those who will want to buy it.

Hell, when the FC660C was selling for 189 on EliteKeyboards.com, tons of people still bought the HHKB over it even though the HHKB cost 300-400 (dollars depending on model) back then.

Now that the FC660C supply has dried out and HHKB prices have dropped (this most likely has something to do with the Japanese currency exchange rate), the choice is a no-brainer.

And then the guy will come back, trying to sell his HHKB, explaining he didn't realize how much he needed direct access to the arrow keys.

Would you care to share with us the sales numbers of EliteKeyboards? Because you certainly know them, as you say that tons of people bought the HHKB over the FC660C.

So, what are the numbers?

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 16:29:01 »

And then the guy will come back, trying to sell his HHKB, explaining he didn't realize how much he needed direct access to the arrow keys.

Would you care to share with us the sales numbers of EliteKeyboards? Because you certainly know them, as you say that tons of people bought the HHKB over the FC660C.

You're just putting words in my mouth. I never implied I had sales figures nor have I posted any statement that would need justification from sales figures.

My post simply stated that a ton of people bought HHKBs over the FC660C, and just that. "A ton" is an ambiguous term that I used to mean "a lot." Any amount can be considered "a lot," even 50. And while I don't have sales figures, I'd bet a good amount of money that EK has sold over 50 HHKBs to people that did not buy FC660Cs.

Drawing from the tone of your post and your demand of sales figures, you seem to have incorrectly interpreted my post as me saying there were more HHKBs sold compared to the FC660C - which is certainly not what I wrote.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 17:02:45 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 17:27:31 »

You're just putting words in my mouth. I never implied I had sales figures nor have I posted any statement that would need justification from sales figures.

My post simply stated that a ton of people bought HHKBs over the FC660C, and just that. "A ton" is an ambiguous term that I used to mean "a lot." Any amount can be considered "a lot," even 50. And while I don't have sales figures, I'd bet a good amount of money that EK has sold over 50 HHKBs to people that did not buy FC660Cs.

Drawing from the tone of your post and your demand of sales figures, you seem to have incorrectly interpreted my post as me saying there were more HHKBs sold compared to the FC660C - which is certainly not what I wrote.

OK, thank you for clarifying that you have actually no idea how many HHKBs and FC660Cs have been sold, and no idea if the HHKB actually sold more or less units than the FC660C in the time frame when both were available on EliteKeyboard.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 17:58:39 »

OK, thank you for clarifying that you have actually no idea how many HHKBs and FC660Cs have been sold, and no idea if the HHKB actually sold more or less units than the FC660C in the time frame when both were available on EliteKeyboard.
Um... You're just being belligerent now. Bravo.

I never even said the HHKB sold more units than the FC660C. Can you not read? All I said was that there are many people that chose the HHKB over the FC660C.

Since you insist on putting words in others' mouths I'll just leave you with this: I know you're upset that I pointed out that your "extremely expensive" description of the HHKB is moot in this conversation now because both keyboards in question are similarly priced. Regardless, that is no reason to try to debunk my post on false and fanciful grounds.

I appreciate the fact that you've made some constructive posts and contributions to this forum in the past but now you're being nothing more than petty, antagonistic, and defensive without properly thinking out your replies in this thread.

Go home before you lose all the respect you've gained previously.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 18:15:25 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 19:51:19 »

Um... You're just being belligerent now. Bravo.

I never even said the HHKB sold more units than the FC660C. Can you not read? All I said was that there are many people that chose the HHKB over the FC660C.

Since you insist on putting words in others' mouths I'll just leave you with this: I know you're upset that I pointed out that your "extremely expensive" description of the HHKB is moot in this conversation now because both keyboards in question are similarly priced. Regardless, that is no reason to try to debunk my post on false and fanciful grounds.

I appreciate the fact that you've made some constructive posts and contributions to this forum in the past but now you're being nothing more than petty, antagonistic, and defensive without properly thinking out your replies in this thread.

Go home before you lose all the respect you've gained previously.

Dear "HHKB elite" (whatever it means - it's in your profile),

There is indeed a price fluctuation at this time, caused apparently by the unavailability of the FC660C on EliteKeyboard's online store. The price of the FC660C depends on where you are going to find it.

I would like to state my opinion on both keyboards in more precise terms.

I own both the HHKB Pro 2 (Type-S) and the FC660C. Do you?

I have used them extensively for months and I still use them. I have disassembled them both and modded them. I did more work on the FC660C because my HHKB was already silenced.

Even if the FC660C was as expensive as the HHKB, in my opinion it would still compare favorably.

It's better built. For example, it has a strong metal plate which the HHKB lacks. The metal plate provide a solid feel overall, which also translate to a better typing feel! This is subjective, I know, but I really can't see how it would be worse than no plate at all. And it has a more "solid" sound: the HHKB sounds hollow because it is indeed a hollow plastic case. I have posted earlier a sound comparison with 9 keyboards, including the HHKB Type-S and the silenced FC660C.

The FC660C has arrow keys. This makes it much more approachable for most users, and arguably will contribute to the "feel" or overall impression of the keyboard.

I think the HHKB should be priced much less than the FC660C due to the fact that it provides neither the solid build nor the arrow keys.

In favor of the HHKB, which I use and like, I would mention the minimalist design and the weight: it's lighter than the FC660C and is more adapted to mobile use.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 21:43:14 »

HHKB > FC660C

Offline Keybatant

• topre and cigar
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 04:21:55 »

I have used them extensively for months and I still use them. I have disassembled them both and modded them. I did more work on the FC660C because my HHKB was already silenced.

Even if the FC660C was as expensive as the HHKB, in my opinion it would still compare favorably.

It's better built. For example, it has a strong metal plate which the HHKB lacks. The metal plate provide a solid feel overall, which also translate to a better typing feel! This is subjective, I know, but I really can't see how it would be worse than no plate at all. And it has a more "solid" sound: the HHKB sounds hollow because it is indeed a hollow plastic case. I have posted earlier a sound comparison with 9 keyboards, including the HHKB Type-S and the silenced FC660C.

The FC660C has arrow keys. This makes it much more approachable for most users, and arguably will contribute to the "feel" or overall impression of the keyboard.

I think the HHKB should be priced much less than the FC660C due to the fact that it provides neither the solid build nor the arrow keys.

In favor of the HHKB, which I use and like, I would mention the minimalist design and the weight: it's lighter than the FC660C and is more adapted to mobile use.

Well I'll call you on this one. First, the price.
HHKB typs-s coming with 2 usb ports (unpowered but enough to plug the mouse), silenced mod (increased stem height), lubed stabilizers (I know not big deal but always), 6 dip switches (info on the back of keyb), and even landing pads for space bar

Now let’s look on Leo; metal plate, 2 additional keys (caps lock & control key), 4 dips switches, arrows keys.
It will require job around to make apply silent mod, which will reduce key travel (what in my opinion is killing the idea), and lube stabilizers.
Not sure how difference in the price between this two keyboards can even be questionable. Still, there is open question – if this products are worthy the money tag on them – but there is no easy answer for it.

Subjective impressions;
Fc660c has metal plate and arrow keys. HHKB is “plastic” with special layout . In my opinion,  both got different selling points.
HHKB is “daily all around with you” mobile keyboard. To accomplish this, it need to be light and small. Yet, is easy to buy key replacement (expensive though) and even alternative controller to make HHKB full programmable.
I really like typing on it, my fatigued fingers (I use 87u 55 in home office) welcome light keys with pleasure.

Leo for me is striped version of TKL, the “space saver”.  FN + arrow is great idea (was hard for me to make it work on mac though), is not as big as 87u, yet still provide similar (yet not the same) typing experience.
Is rather hard to find full key replacement if someone like to, but still it can be done. This is my version when I was using it (with 55gr keys):

So which one is better. For me  ;) , HHKB for all around keyboard.
Fc660c is making sense only if you have terribly busy desk (at work/home) and needs for smaller keyboard without big difference in layout. Otherwise, I’ll advise to get Realofrce 87u instead of Leopold.
Vary similar price now, and regarding topre feeling, nothing can beat 87u 55gr. And Leo is not even close…

Offline yomammary

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:15:43 »
Where did you find a FC660C with 55g keys?
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:57:17 »

Well I'll call you on this one. First, the price.
HHKB typs-s coming with 2 usb ports (unpowered but enough to plug the mouse), silenced mod (increased stem height), lubed stabilizers (I know not big deal but always), 6 dip switches (info on the back of keyb), and even landing pads for space bar

Show Image

Now let’s look on Leo; metal plate, 2 additional keys (caps lock & control key), 4 dips switches, arrows keys.
It will require job around to make apply silent mod, which will reduce key travel (what in my opinion is killing the idea), and lube stabilizers.
Not sure how difference in the price between this two keyboards can even be questionable. Still, there is open question – if this products are worthy the money tag on them – but there is no easy answer for it.

Subjective impressions;
Fc660c has metal plate and arrow keys. HHKB is “plastic” with special layout . In my opinion,  both got different selling points.
HHKB is “daily all around with you” mobile keyboard. To accomplish this, it need to be light and small. Yet, is easy to buy key replacement (expensive though) and even alternative controller to make HHKB full programmable.
I really like typing on it, my fatigued fingers (I use 87u 55 in home office) welcome light keys with pleasure.

Leo for me is striped version of TKL, the “space saver”.  FN + arrow is great idea (was hard for me to make it work on mac though), is not as big as 87u, yet still provide similar (yet not the same) typing experience.
Is rather hard to find full key replacement if someone like to, but still it can be done. This is my version when I was using it (with 55gr keys):

Show Image

So which one is better. For me  ;) , HHKB for all around keyboard.
Fc660c is making sense only if you have terribly busy desk (at work/home) and needs for smaller keyboard without big difference in layout. Otherwise, I’ll advise to get Realofrce 87u instead of Leopold.
Vary similar price now, and regarding topre feeling, nothing can beat 87u 55gr. And Leo is not even close…

I think your comparison is reasonable, but I would like to add this:

1. It is wrong to assume that the silencing mod will change in any way the feel of the Topre switch on the FC660C. I you use the "dental mod", it will change the travel and the feel. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD. The right method to use is the "slimmed down landing pads" method. Once slimmed down with a clothing iron, the landing pads are between 0.15 and 0.20mm thick, and they fit so well in the space above the sliders that it is practically impossible to feel any reduction in travel. You really get a Type-S FC660C, with no compromise. I have published the method in another post if you are interested.

2. Even without modding it, a FC660C is not significantly more noisy than an HHKB Type-S. This is due to the HHKB's case resonance (the lack of plate really hurts here). Once modded, the FC660C is significantly quieter than the HHKB Type-S. You can hear this in my other post called "My keyboard sounds sampler".

3. I did not mention the HHKB's additional USB ports because, as you pointed out, they are barely usable. Most USB keys (flash memory) don't work on these ports, because they are underpowered. They are apparently good enough to connect a mouse, but this is a limited use. I don't even think it's PFU's fault. It may be because the USB standard requires that the peripheral declares in advance the maximum power it will use, and PFU did not want the HHKB to require 500ma in all cases. It would have prevented the keyboard to work at all on some computers.

A killer feature a future version of the HHKB should have is Bluetooth. Get rid of these USB ports, put a decent battery inside and a Bluetooth transmitter. That would really make the HHKB stand out for mobile use, especially if you can easily switch between several Bluetooth hosts.

I know Hasu has been working on this for a while, and I really hope he succeeds eventually.

Offline Keybatant

• topre and cigar
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:49:13 »
Where did you find a FC660C with 55g keys?

This keys come from Realforce 87ub 55g

I know Hasu has been working on this for a while, and I really hope he succeeds eventually.

Nice one  :thumb:

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 10:17:35 »
Just wanted to add that price depends where you are, but when buying them directly from the company the HHKB is slightly more expensive.
660c: 219,000 won
HHKB: 24,990 yen (29,800 yen for Type-S)
You can do the currency conversion...
If there aren't much difference in price where you are located, choose the one with the prefered layout.
The HHKB has been around much longer(around 2 decades) so its inevitable that there are more HHKB owners than the new 660c(about a year+); just make sure to filter the biased opinions of what people own. Everyone here has their own opinion and they are both great boards in terms of how a topre board should perform.
Good luck  :D
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline user888

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 02:06:54 »
And as I said here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68235.msg1639461#msg1639461 ignore arguments from people which didn't own both.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 02:48:10 »
Oh man, a bluetooth HHKB might just make me come back to Topre land

But just to add my two cents here (having previously owned both):

On Mac/*nix I'd have to give it to the HHKB. Dat sound. Dat feel. But on a Windows box, where you regularly need arrows and home/end/pgup/pgdown, I gotta give it to the 660C.

Both are great boards, although (oddly) I do wish the 660C weren't plate mounted and instead was "case"-mounted like the HHKB.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 February 2015, 02:50:15 by daerid »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 19:48:26 »
Oh man, a bluetooth HHKB might just make me come back to Topre land

But just to add my two cents here (having previously owned both):

On Mac/*nix I'd have to give it to the HHKB. Dat sound. Dat feel. But on a Windows box, where you regularly need arrows and home/end/pgup/pgdown, I gotta give it to the 660C.

Both are great boards, although (oddly) I do wish the 660C weren't plate mounted and instead was "case"-mounted like the HHKB.

+1 I struggled to use HHKB under Windows, but very few problems on a Mac.