Author Topic: Alternating hands?: Alt+ on layouts with thumb keys  (Read 1787 times)

Offline jamadagni

Alternating hands?: Alt+ on layouts with thumb keys
« on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 23:36:35 »
Re the Kinesis, ErgoDox, KeyboardIO where the Alt key is relocated to be hit by the thumb, I have heard people objecting saying that this makes often used sequences like Alt+Tab or even sequences involving Ctrl+Alt+Shift or such very difficult. For example see under "Design flaws" here.

Others however suggest that we should re-learn our muscle memories to use two hands for such sequences and it's good in the long run.

I'd like to hear more comments on this.

Offline nomaded

Re: Alternating hands?: Alt+ on layouts with thumb keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 01:06:50 »
I don't have the Alt key mapped to the thumb cluster in my layout. I have the one Alt key on the bottom-most row on the left hand. I've never been a big user of Alt-Tab, but I can easily hit it with my pinky finger and index/pointer finger on my left hand. Also, Ctrl-Alt-Del is pretty easy to hit with my left hand, and I use this combo quite often.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 01:49:35 »
I have all my mods on thumb keys (all 1x size in a cluster of 4 on each) and can access all possible combinations with small shifts of my thumbs. On my left I have Shift, Fn, Backspace, Tab. On my right I have Ctrl, Alt, Space, Enter. The ones used in combinations (Shift, Fn, Ctrl, Alt) are on the upper keys so I use a squeeze movement to press and hold them. The "struck" keys (Tab, Backspace, Space, Enter) are on the bottom so I can use a downward strike to press them.

Del is top right on my right hand, so I squeeze Ctrl and Alt with my right thumb and press Del with my pinkie. Easy-peasy and somewhat similar to using the right hand Ctrl and Alt on a WinkeyLess. Esc is the other "modifier" which is on the top left of my left hand.

This works perfectly for me and I don't find any combinations difficult, even some of those weird ones in Excel, so my advice is to find a mapping that really works for you and offload the mods from the pinkies as much as possible. Then take the time to train your muscle memory.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 15:47:44 »
I really like the Ctrl and Alt on my 80key ErgoDox (video). I can press them both in one stroke too (with a thumb/palm, depending on location). It's even better with alternating hands.

Offline vvp

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 18:19:08 »
I do not have a problem to press Alt-Tab with one hand on Kinesis. Nor Ctrl-Alt-Tab (one can hit both Ctrl and Alt with one thumb quite easily). Ctrl-Alt-Shift + SomeKey is easy with two hands if you swap LShift<->Del and RShift<->Enter. All modifiers are in the thumb clusters in the layout I use.

Although, most of the times, I press modifiers with one hand and the key with the other one.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 18:28:15 »
With a close thumb key (or even the Alt or Command key on a standard keyboard, especially when the spacebar is <5u long), it’s relatively easy to make a chord of the modifier + a letter on the same hand. Using both hands is also fine though.

The problematic one is the standard 101-key layout Control key, which is in a terrible spot.

With a properly designed layout, there should be 3–6 thumb keys in very easy reach, several of which should be possible to use as a modifier for keys on all 9 other fingers.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 18:30:44 by jacobolus »