Author Topic: Claw grippin mice?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline furry_angina

Claw grippin mice?
« on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 02:29:51 »
I've been on the market for a new gaming mouse for a while now, mostly for RTS. The perfect size for me is the M705 since I'm a claw gripper (also a female with inhumanly small hands).  

Are there other 'gaming' mice out there besides Orichi that seems to cater to this handicap? lol  It seems like it has bad reviews everywhere... although wireless is a plus.

I've tried the Naga Epic too but I don't like to have 3 fingers on the mouse.
HHKB2 w/ M705 Realforce 87UB w/ G9

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
Claw grippin mice?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 02:50:50 »
Fellow claw-gripper here.

HUGE advocate of the CM Storm Spawn.  This mouse was built for claw-grippers such as ourselves.  The ring finger rest is quite nice once you adjust to it.  Makes using other "standard" mice feel weird now.  It's a fairly light mouse (approximately 86g not including the cable, IIRC) with a very nice rubberized side for some added grip.  The optical sensor is great; using FW32, my lift-off distance is less than 1CD on an Artisan Hien mousepad.  Pretty good stuff!

Drivers let you modify the side and top buttons to whatever you want, which allows for some great customization.  In StarCraft II, I've mapped the default DPI buttons to hotkeys 7 and 8 and the side buttons to 9 and 0.  Makes it a lot easier to access those hard-to-reach control groups. You can also choose from three firmware versions to best suit your gaming surface.  As mentioned before, FW32 seems to have the best results for me.  YMMV.

The "Great Deals" subforum had it priced at $30 with a $10 rebate if you ordered from Newegg.  Not sure if it's still valid, but you can check it out for yourself.  http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?27501-CM-Storm-Spawn-20-after-Rebate-OR-Xornet-17-after-Rebate

Alternatively, you can go with the Logitech G9x, naked (no weights or shells, just the bare mouse).  Laser mouse with built-in hardware acceleration.  You either hate it, get used to it, or not notice it at all.  I don't have any experience with this mouse as I was hesitant about shelling out double the price of the Spawn for something I wasn't sure I would like.  That being said, a lot of people here love the G9x and it's become one of the forums' favorite laser mice for RTS games.

There are a lot of other mice out there, such as the Razer Abyssus, Zowie Mico, and others that people love to recommend for claw-grippers.  Here's a couple threads to help you decide:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21969-What-your-fav-mouse
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?26764-Best-RTS-Mouse-With-No-Acceleration

Have fun!
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline furry_angina

Claw grippin mice?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 04:19:58 »
Awesome! This is all the info I need... funny I have to come here to ask these things since most of my friends don't understand why certain things with these peripherals are important haha.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Claw grippin mice?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 06:34:29 »
I have very long fingers and claw grip and have been very happy with the Kensington Pro Fit I've been using for the past couple months. Great mouse and very cheap.

Offline popol

Claw grippin mice?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 08:31:36 »
CM SPAWN has big flaws with voice systems on some computers.
This makes it unusable along with teamspeak or mumble or with BF3 for instance on many platforms, causing a huge CPU usage and sound bugs. The firmwares are awful and the LOD as well for fps players.
That's too bad as this mous has got a nice shape.
The company is unable to correct their firmwares. Huge disapointment for many many buyers.
cheers

Offline FKSSR

Claw grippin mice?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 15:24:32 »
I will pretty much just echo sawedust except to say I'd recommend the Razer Abyssus equally as the CM Storm Spawn, if you're playing RTS.  The Abyssus is just simple and super solid.  No DPI settings or side buttons to worry about.  The button mapping sawedust does with the Spawn is interesting, though!

The Mico looks awesome, too, but I've never tried it.

Or how about White-Ra's Saphira. :D (Don't think it's sold in US yet)
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline furry_angina

Claw grippin mice?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 16:12:09 »
I had a friend bring the G9 and G700 to work today. And I figured that I'm actually more of a finger grip than a real claw grip lol because I took the shell off and the mouse is 'too small'.

I'm using the G9 right now with the thinner shell and so far so good.  I use 4 buttons for RTS actually, and this layout will suffice.  I will now exchange my Corsair Vengeance for a G9x when I get off. Thanks for all the solid advice.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2012, 09:58:40 by furry_angina »

Offline Drakan290

• Well.
Claw grippin mice?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 21:03:45 »
Myself, after around 2 years of trying every 'gaming' mouse out there, finally found my home.

Roccat Kova+. I wrote a pretty lengthy review on Amazon, if you can find it.

I've used the G9x, Deathadder, MS IME 3.0, Lachesis, Sensei, G7/G5/G500/MX518... That's what suited me :)