Author Topic: [IC] IKKI68 AURORA | A Gasket Mount Polycarbonate Kit - Update Dec. 20th  (Read 98084 times)

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
Hello everyone!

Update #3:

Dec. 20th, 2020 -- Mold T1 Test was done

All are good except some minor changes like screw holes need to adjust. We are expecting final samles before end of December. Secret color and a GIVEAWAY will be announced very very soon. Stay tuned!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #2.1:

Dec. 3rd, 2020 -- Mold is finalized 95%

What we are doing:
#1 Adjusting some minor details and plan to test producing 1st sample around Dec. 15th.
#2 Picking plastic color chips for mint. So hard to decide which to pick for the manufacturer’s test
#3 A secret surprising color, which cannot be disclosed until we get more info confirmed

Updates #2:

Variable Gasket Structure

There are 10 chips (A - J) in total that snap on to the bottom case. Chips B, D, G and J are optional, the rest must be installed. When all 10 chips are installed you get a firmer, less bouncy type feel. You can choose to remove chips B, D, G and J for a bouncier experience. Please refer to this image for more explanation.

Underglow Will Be Available
As suggested by IC reponse, we will add underglow for IKKI68 Aurora.

Schedule Update
Due to adjusting of our mold, prototypes will be delayed for half month, and GB will be delayed accordingly. However, delivery time is expected to be the same as before.

Mid December 2020 - Prototypes
Early January 2021 - Build streams from reviewers
Mid January 2021 - GB Launch
April 2021 - Delivery starts

Current Status
Working on final mold for prototypes.

Previous Updates

Updates #1:

Gallery of new renders:https://imgur.com/a/rsN2j7A

Color
Charcoal
Mint

Clear is almost certain to be an option for round 2, along with blue or pink or another color all together.

You'll notice there's no new render of Mint. We have some transparent teal pantone chips on the way. We'll pick a color from the bunch once we've seen them in person.

Finish
Frosted.

The overwhelming majority wanted a frosted finish. We are not ruling out clear finish in a future round, but for round 1 we're going with all frosted

Default plate material
Aluminum. Every Ikki68 Aurora will ship with an Aluminum plate.

Carbon Fiber, Brass, Polycarbonate and POM plates can be purchased as extras.

PCB
Ikki68 Aurora will have 3 PCBs.

[Default] QMK hot swap PCB with multi-layout support.
QMK soldered PCB with multi-layout support.
Bluetooth soldered PCB with a fixed layout. The same one as Ikki68 with the possiblity of some updates.
Multi-layout support
Both soldered and hot swap QMK PCB will have support for:

Split Backspace
ISO enter
Split Left Shift
Split Right Shift
Split Spacebar
Stepped Caps Lock

Here's a photo visualizing the options:https://i.imgur.com/umgeMX4.png

Brass weight

An addition by popular demand: you will be able to buy an 400g internal brass weight offered as an extra.

We'll be having a design contest soon and the winning design will be engraved onto all the brass weights.

The Aurora weighs around 700 - 800 grams without any additional weight. With the weight it should weigh about 1100 - 1200g or 2.4 - 2.6lbs, just a touch lighter than the all aluminum Ikki68

Custom badges

All Ikki68 Aurora will ship with a default badge. You can buy additional custom badges as extras.

Just like Ikki68 you'll be able to choose from a handful of designs and colors. These are what we call Community Badges. You can also have your own design custom made just for you. These are called Bespoke Badges.

The badges will be "hot swappable". You will be able to change a badge without taking apart the case.

Ikki68 badges will be compatible with Ikki68 Aurora out of the box.

Ikki68 Aurora badges will be compatible with Ikki68 through the use of an adapter, sold separately.

Join our discord server to stay up to date with badges. You can submit a design to be used as a community badge. Use the commands !badges and !bespoke-badge in any channel to find more info.

Included in kit
Ikki68 Aurora kit
Multi-layout hot swap QMK PCB
Aluminum plate
Silicone dampening pad between PCB & plate
Silicone dampening pad between PCB & case
Gaskets
Keyboard storage case
Coiled USB cable

Price
Adding multi-layout support to our default hot swap PCB has made a noticeble increase in our costs.

However we're still committed to offering the Ikki68 Aurora R1 in the $99 - $129 range that we've mentioned in the first IC. Future rounds may cost slightly more.

We'll continue posting updates on Reddit and Geekhack. Please join our  Discord server for more frequent updates or if you have any questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m Ckeeb, one half of the Wuque Studio that launched the Ikki68 keyboard group buy in June. Now, just 3 months later, we’re very pleased to let you know that we’ve completed production and currently in the process of QC-ing all the kits. We are very much on track for a September ship date as promised in the group buy!

We are also the studio that’s launching the OA Switch group buy very soon, but in the meantime, we have another exciting project to share with you all!

Ikki68 Aurora

More Renders at https://imgur.com/a/ffVidv8
IC Form at https://forms.gle/8P6ieYhdnkvKn6rN9
Discord Server at https://discord.com/invite/CJjtbwr

A polycarbonate version of Ikki68 was THE most requested item in the original Ikki68 group buy. Due to various constraints it wasn’t possible to do at that me, but now we’re very pleased to announce Ikki68 Aurora.

It will feature a gasket mount system utilizing 20 gaskets. The case will be made of injection molded polycarbonate to keep the costs down and achieve a fast manufacturing me. We’re looking forward to receiving feedback from all the Ikki68 owners and hope to incorporate all the positive changes into the Aurora.

Key Features:

* Injection molded polycarbonate case
* Gasket mount
* Split spacebar support
* Silicone dampening pad between the plate & the PCB
* Silicone dampening pad under the PCB
* Bluetooth PCB w/ proprietary software OR Wired PCB w/ QMK and Hot Swap
* PCB mount stabilizers
* Multiple additional badge designs, including fully custom designs provided by you!

Tentative Price:

$99 - $129 USD

Colors & Finish:

We can only produce two of the following five color schemes this round. In the future we may produce the rest, or introduce new colorways. Please keep in mind these are just renders, the final color may change depending on technical challenges and other factors. Prototypes will be produced before group buy launches.

Frosted finish will most likely be more frosted than it shows in the renders. More details to follow.
In the IC form you can vote for which two color options will be produced this round.

Also, in the IC form, you can vote whether you’d like to see these colors in a clear polycarbonate finish, or in a frosted polycarbonate finish.

* Charcoal
* Clear
* Blue
* Mint
* Pink

Project Timeline:

🙋 September Launch Interest Check

* September - December
Finalize design & features.
Produce prototypes
Get prototypes to streamers for build videos and sound tests

* December Launch Group Buy

* March Start shipping Ikki68 AURORA to buyers

Additional Details

Just like the namesake, after each rebirth IKKI keyboards become better, stronger. Ikki68 Aurora features a gasket mount system due to popular request.

Polycarbonate has a high chance of cracking if you apply too much torque while tightening the case screws. This can also happen from repeated screwing and unscrewing. That’s why we’ve embedded copper sleeves inside the case for screws to thread on to, instead of the plastics shell itself. This will make the case more durable and less prone to cracking.

The default plate material will be either Aluminum or Polycarbonate. Please vote in the IC form for your favorite between the two. Additional plates in different materials will be available as add-ons.

Custom badges were hugely popular with Ikki68. We’re pleased to announce that they’re making a come back in the Aurora. Each keyboard kit will come with a default badge, and you can buy additional badges as add-ons. There will be several designs to choose from. You can also send us your art work and have a one of a kind custom badge just for yourself!

We are currently weighing the pros and cons of keeping Ikki68 Aurora backwards compatible with the custom badges from the original Ikki68. On one hand we have a new mechanism in mind that will make the badges easier to swap out and machine, on the other hand this new mechanism will make the Ikki68 badges incompatible with Ikki68 Aurora.

We hope to produce the mold, iterate on the design based on testing and feedback and have some prototypes manufactured for streamers before launching the group buy. We will keep you updated on the progress via our discord or via email if you share your email address with us in the IC form. If you’re interested in the Ikki68 Aurora, please fill out the IC form so we can take your feedback and ideas into account.

If you have any questions please feel free to post here, or join our Discord server.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2020, 22:00:59 by Ckeeb »

Offline MoonOperator

Re: [IC] IKKI68 AURORA | A Gasket Mount Polycarbonate Kit
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 10:57:44 »
This looks beautiful! Count me in for sure.

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:01:35 »
Very interesting! I don’t have a PC board yet, it may be an opportunity to see what the hype is about!

However, please note that Oblotzky already has an IC for a board with Aurora in the name as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bitmxp

• I’ll take 12
    • Bitmap Studios
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:08:40 »
Let's goooo

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:11:38 »
What PCB are you using?
Will ISO be an option?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Shiro

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:14:58 »
yo at this price, no meme i might buy 2. 😳

Offline Brixzz

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:15:25 »
This looks great! I missed out on the OG Ikki, but am happy to join now.
Would it be possible to include ISO support?

Offline productkun

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:17:24 »
Looks amazing, specially at this pricepoint

Offline pandapau

• Where my Nord?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:24:56 »
Eyyyyy ikki68 gang has to support this! What a steal as compared to D65 from KBDFans! 冲冲冲啊!!!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Mtvan87

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:33:03 »
 :thumb:
Saved

Offline Oddstag

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:39:16 »
Run a purple version and I’m 100% in.

Offline 100 percent horse

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 12:14:43 »
Run a purple version and I’m 100% in.
Seconded! I'd absolutely give up my NK65 for a purple version of this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline archerypro459

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 12:31:46 »
Please mint I beg

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 12:43:38 »
n e QMK/solder combo avail?

Offline vi0till

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 12:51:27 »
Please give solder pcb. Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Brixzz

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 13:07:54 »

"Bluetooth PCB w/ proprietary software OR Wired PCB w/ QMK and Hot Swap"

I think we can choose between bluetooth soldered pcb or wired hot swap pcb  :D

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 13:11:03 »
I kinda think it would make more sense the other way around. I'm sure there are many people who would appreciate a hotswap wireless board, and the same people who want to use QMK tend to be the people who want multiple layout options and are willing to solder.

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 14:14:06 »
What PCB are you using?
Will ISO be an option?

It's the same PCB as Ikki68. QMK hotswap designed by Demos, not sure who designed the BT PCB.

I kinda think it would make more sense the other way around. I'm sure there are many people who would appreciate a hotswap wireless board, and the same people who want to use QMK tend to be the people who want multiple layout options and are willing to solder.

Yah totally, but IIRC there was some technical difficulty having it the other way around.

Offline Dunzos

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 14:38:23 »
def interested!

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:58:16 »
oh hell yes.
I'm kinda glad I missed out on the IKKI68 GB now.
This ticks off a lot of boxes.
Cheap PC case? Check.
Silicone dampening? Check.
Gasket mount? Check.
QMK or Bluetooth? NOICE

I hope you are prepared to take lots of orders.

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 16:54:59 »
Does it have underglow to make use of the translucent poly?

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 19:26:14 »
This looks beautiful! Count me in for sure.

Thank you, feel free to join our discord for more timely update!

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 19:27:38 »

There is QMK solder PCB too.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 19:29:26 »
Very interesting! I don’t have a PC board yet, it may be an opportunity to see what the hype is about!

However, please note that Oblotzky already has an IC for a board with Aurora in the name as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, thank you for the note. Did not see that before. I think IKKI68 Aurora should also be fine since we are still different ;)

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 19:31:25 »
oh hell yes.
I'm kinda glad I missed out on the IKKI68 GB now.
This ticks off a lot of boxes.
Cheap PC case? Check.
Silicone dampening? Check.
Gasket mount? Check.
QMK or Bluetooth? NOICE

I hope you are prepared to take lots of orders.

lol...

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 19:34:12 »
Does it have underglow to make use of the translucent poly?

No, cos that may cause heating problem inside. And the light throught the silicones pad will be uneven too. We discussed this for a a while before.

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 19:39:35 »
WUUUUUUT? The pricing is outrageously low. I'm IN!

Offline Tree_

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 20:39:47 »
Just to repeat my comment on Reddit: 100% in if colour options are Pink or Purple. Otherwise not overly interested.

Killer price though and a great pickup for someone after a budget board.

Offline Obscura

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 21:03:12 »
I'm in. Are there going to be alignment bumps or pins to line everything up during assembly? Please do if possible, it makes building in the case so much easier.

Offline woyaodapian

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 22:27:54 »
In support of a Mint and Clear. And really kudos for offering so much in this pricepoint. U guys are awesome.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 22:43:06 »
Can we have the supported layout for the pcb?

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 23:38:15 »
If the PCB can be both qmk and bluetooth, that will be huge.

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 00:07:32 »
I did get the OG Ikki68 Pro, could not get the blue, here's my chance I guess.
Loving the charcoal too.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 01:56:06 »
I love this! the look, the layout, the badge, the price :D

how will the gb work, are the slots limited or can I be sure to be able to order?

Offline pakin39

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 02:45:22 »
Looks stunning, especially with that key layout. The estimated price is a take for me. Just hope you guys can get this under GB soon, so that I still have enough money in my wallet :p

Offline JumpStream

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 02:57:23 »
Love the layout

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 02:57:41 »
will split backspace be possible? at least on the solder version?

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 03:13:30 »

Offline gavingoh

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 04:21:07 »
Will there be typing test or videos to see how this board looks like?

Offline Hua.wuque

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 10:51:21 »
From November to December, we will conduct various tests and release various videos

Offline taiminhle4920

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 12:33:31 »
Will it be unlimited GB?

Offline Kreath

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 13:56:09 »
super stoked to follow this project! Can't wait

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 16:32:41 »
I think everyone will wanna go for charcoal and atomic purple if that can be made possible.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 18:40:13 »
In support of a Mint and Clear. And really kudos for offering so much in this pricepoint. U guys are awesome.

The votes for Mint and Clear are very closed, lets see what happens.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 18:43:05 »

Hmm, we will vote for default PCB and extra PCB on this.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 18:44:23 »
I think everyone will wanna go for charcoal and atomic purple if that can be made possible.

charcoal  is a sure win now.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 18:47:31 »
What PCB are you using?
Will ISO be an option?

There can be several options, we wil vote later in discord, pls join us :)

Offline taiminhle4920

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 20:43:12 »
I will definitely go for the pink or charcoal.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 21:39:15 »

Yes, we will arrange this.

Offline Learis

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 21:47:16 »
This looks like the exact layout I'm looking for: a 65% with all standard keys sizes. If there's hotswap, then I'm super interested.
Mend and Defend