Author Topic: Keyboard hygeine  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Yuribou

Keyboard hygeine
« on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 16:45:27 »
Hi, new here, was hoping for some advice

I am a healthcare worker with some IT clout and as you can all guess we are basically heavily sanitising everything in the hospital several times a day.

Our default keyboards are disgusting and the "cleanable" keyboards that the hospital have procured are absolutely rubbish to type on

I don't suppose anyone knows of a keyboard that is easily wiped down AND is pleasant to type on?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Offline Faceman76

Re: Keyboard hygeine
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 18:12:08 »
Kailh BOX switches are water and dust proof. With keycaps on, they should be able to withstand being cleaned frequently.  The only concerns will be the finish on the keycaps and not saturating the board underneath.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline retrofitit

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 19:25:30 »
You can get clear silicone covers for some keyboards, then all you would need to do is clean the covers.

Office keyboards are often dirtier than the office restrooms.

Offline Volny

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 08:40:25 »
There's a Linus Tech Tips video where he puts a bunch of keyboards through a dishwasher, and they all came out fine. Considering that, I suspect that just about any half decent keyboard should easily survive a wipe with an alcoholic (hence quickly evaporating) cleanser.

In terms of ease of wiping, a keycap profile with graceful edges like DSA would be significantly quicker to clean thoroughly (and maybe also a little quicker to evaporate) than the usual sharp-cornered profiles like OEM and Cherry.

Offline Yuribou

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 01:58:37 »
Thanks for the tips.

You're probably right in that it's not practical to put the keyboards through a dishwasher frequently anyway so waterproofing isn't necessarily what is needed and probably a flat cleaning surface is probably more important.

We have some of the silicone tops and they feel awful to type on so not too keen on them.

Are there any full size keyboards with good low profile switches that are freely available?