Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 398498 times)

Offline ceflame

Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #850 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 13:51:45 »
Hey folks
  Do any of you know anyone that Gon talks to here or is friends with. The last 5-6 Skype calls have gone unanswered during the times that have worked in the past. Messages left here on his site and on his phone and still no answer. 7 months now  :( on assembled board and the last few times of contact once in march told would ship in 1-2weeks in April one month later assured the board was done and he would ship in the next week. One month later now may said he was putting finishing touches on it and would be shipping within 1 to 2 more weeks and now its been another month and have not been able to get in contact. This is really starting to depress me don't know what to do. I feel like there's no point in even contact. It's been over the Paypal protection period and was thinking I would have better luck proxying through someone who talks to him maybe. I don't know sigh.....

I feel for you. The same thing happened for me as well. Just to make it clear, it seems it happens to EVERYONE, including CTRL[ALT]  :(
You'll get your board in the end, but it's still a very frustrating process.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61651.msg1673428#msg1673428
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61651.msg1707043#msg1707043
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61651.msg1736246#msg1736246
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61651.msg1776850#msg1776850

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #851 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 03:03:29 »
That's a pity. If there wasn't so much delay I would have ordered a case at Gon's.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #852 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 04:00:22 »
Hey folks
  Do any of you know anyone that Gon talks to here or is friends with. The last 5-6 Skype calls have gone unanswered during the times that have worked in the past. Messages left here on his site and on his phone and still no answer. 7 months now  :( on assembled board and the last few times of contact once in march told would ship in 1-2weeks in April one month later assured the board was done and he would ship in the next week. One month later now may said he was putting finishing touches on it and would be shipping within 1 to 2 more weeks and now its been another month and have not been able to get in contact. This is really starting to depress me don't know what to do. I feel like there's no point in even contact. It's been over the Paypal protection period and was thinking I would have better luck proxying through someone who talks to him maybe. I don't know sigh.....

I talked to GON a short time ago about the orders, he said that he is trying to get them out ASAP. He is really over worked at the moment. He sends bulk loads of packages out every two weeks as it is the easiest way for him to deal with the demand.

Try contacting GON at 8:30-11am Korean time or 5pm-10pm Korean time through Skype (He has it on his PC and his mobile and he prefers to pick that up). I did this and was able to get in contact with him and talk to him and sort my order out.

If you still have a problem, I can try and get in contact with him as he is now "friended" me on Skype.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #853 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 08:32:08 »
I talked to GON a short time ago about the orders, he said that he is trying to get them out ASAP. He is really over worked at the moment. He sends bulk loads of packages out every two weeks as it is the easiest way for him to deal with the demand.

Try contacting GON at 8:30-11am Korean time or 5pm-10pm Korean time through Skype (He has it on his PC and his mobile and he prefers to pick that up). I did this and was able to get in contact with him and talk to him and sort my order out.

If you still have a problem, I can try and get in contact with him as he is now "friended" me on Skype.

Yeah, hope he is okay. Maybe he should look at taking a break from new orders, unless this is his primary source of income...

Offline Bucky

« Reply #854 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:39:34 »
Anyone had any luck canceling an order with GON? Assuming he hasn't had the case built/anodized I wanted to know if it would even be a possibility.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #855 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:55:17 »
Anyone had any luck canceling an order with GON? Assuming he hasn't had the case built/anodized I wanted to know if it would even be a possibility.

I would venture no... I think what happens is that he places the order for your parts right away and thus has already used your funds. You can always try and be the first to tell us though.

The only similar actions I've seen are people selling their orders to others.

Offline iandoug

« Reply #856 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 11:21:25 »
Well I suppose I should feel relieved I'm not the only one with this problem ... I just ordered two batches of switches, the lack of communication is the most distressing.

Can't GH use readable captchas?

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #857 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:17:25 »
Well I suppose I should feel relieved I'm not the only one with this problem ... I just ordered two batches of switches, the lack of communication is the most distressing.

Huh? I can't remember having had to solve any captcha on Geekhack before...
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:35:01 by wlhlm »

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #858 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:27:27 »

Yep, it took me like 5 times to get one!

Offline Azumia

« Reply #859 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 02:50:45 »
Has anyone heard any updates about orders with acrylic cases? I'm tired of trying to get in contact with GON, and other people seem to have better luck, so I'm hoping someone knows what's going on with the acrylic parts that were delayed recently.
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #860 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 04:49:11 »
Has anyone heard any updates about orders with acrylic cases? I'm tired of trying to get in contact with GON, and other people seem to have better luck, so I'm hoping someone knows what's going on with the acrylic parts that were delayed recently.

Yep, it took me like 5 times to get one!

He has not been picking up his skype during his normal times or returning any of his calls or messages. I wish you  better luck then me!!!!
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #861 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 08:17:14 »

It'll go away after 10 posts or so.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Bucky

« Reply #862 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 11:35:01 »
I had good luck getting in touch with GON in early May (talked with him 4-5 times without much trouble), but he hasn't answered a call of mine in the past 3 weeks or so. The guy who was going to build the keyboard hasn't responded to my emails either so I really need to change who it is being sent to. Pretty frustrating, if I could I would probably just cancel the order.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #863 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 14:16:05 »
Since my initial query I've been watching this thread as I was curious, I'm really really really glad that I didn't impulse buy a 75%

You guys at least deserve an occasional forums post from GON about the state of your orders, it was painful reading about your experiences, time to unwatch the thread I guess, it's getting pretty sad

No matter how busy an individual is, I think at least a monthly status update would be manageable ...
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline iandoug

« Reply #864 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 18:36:24 »

I found the trick is to use ctrl-+ to zoom in a lot, then it becomes easy to read the letters.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #865 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 20:12:53 »

I found the trick is to use ctrl-+ to zoom in a lot, then it becomes easy to read the letters.

Nice, I never thought of that. It's darn good idea

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #866 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:57:36 »
Since my initial query I've been watching this thread as I was curious, I'm really really really glad that I didn't impulse buy a 75%

You guys at least deserve an occasional forums post from GON about the state of your orders, it was painful reading about your experiences, time to unwatch the thread I guess, it's getting pretty sad

No matter how busy an individual is, I think at least a monthly status update would be manageable ...
I was in the same situation as you were. Wondering if I should get my 60% case or not. That's a sad thing to say but I'm happy I didn't order one.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Naweo

« Reply #867 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 06:11:11 »
I ordered my keyboard in November last year. When do you think is a reasonable time to contact him, or should just be patient?

Offline yobinad

« Reply #868 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 07:00:20 »
My advice is, call him until you get it in your hands

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #869 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 07:21:44 »
My advice is, call him until you get it in your hands

Sad that this is what it takes.

GON needs to hire some help asap.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #870 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 13:12:09 »
GON needs to hire some help asap.

Or just stop taking orders until he's caught up. It's sad that I had to threaten to cancel my first order for GON to actually ship it when promised. And whenever I come back to this thread, I still see people who ordered before I did wondering when their board is going to ship.

He needs to either be honest and transparent with people and change the entire lead-time section on his website to a more accurate time frame or just stop taking orders until his workload allows him to meet the lead-time he promises.

If I didn't like the aesthetics of GON's keyboards so much, I never would have ordered from him again. Having to jump through hoops to contact someone you've sent a TON of money to is ridiculous.

If anyone is reading this and considering ordering from GON, at least front the extra money to cover PayPal fees so that you don't have to pay with gift and can actually cancel your order if you get sick of waiting.
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline razenos

« Reply #871 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 04:01:35 »
Ordered in 2015-05-02, just NERD 60 pcb and plate , no assembly service.
stuck at payment accepted , try contact him every way and got nothing.
give money to him and now i have to beg him to ship my order , very sad.
anyone can contact him, please help me ask him about my order.
My order number is : HJEWPCOTI
thank you.

Offline iandoug

« Reply #872 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 04:13:50 »
I have never dealt with him before, but he was the only place I could find Cherry MX brown, so I asked about him on deskthority ... (didn't know about this forum). I was told he was 'otaku' about keyboards so I figured if he was that sort of person, he would not rip me off. It's been a few weeks, zero feedback except 'payment accepted' message. He should at least send a bulk email to everyone with a 'please be patient' sort of message so that we know he has not been hit by a bus or something.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #873 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 04:20:37 »
He will send out your order. I ordered  my stuff in nov last year, got the things in april. Im still waiting for stuff on which i ordered from the CTRL buy last summer(almost a year) but im confident that he will deliver. So far i have never heard of anyone who didnt get his order. So some patience is needed.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #874 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 09:06:25 »
You will get your order.

It may be in 2022.  Computers may be obsolete.

But you will get your order.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline dragonken

« Reply #875 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 10:18:42 »
I tried GON assemble service last year and got only 6 weeks delayed.
GON's tuned 62g clear switches are really great.
so originally I was going to order another set of 62g clears from GON...
I starred this thread and hope he can catch up

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #876 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 14:21:50 »
Just coming here to post my monthly update. It's now been 8 months since I ordered the keyboard in October 2014. GON told me I was going to get it earlier this month, but I can't say I'm surprised that the order still hasn't passed "Payment Accepted."

:blank:

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #877 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 15:04:21 »
Just coming here to post my monthly update. It's now been 8 months since I ordered the keyboard in October 2014. GON told me I was going to get it earlier this month, but I can't say I'm surprised that the order still hasn't passed "Payment Accepted."

Did he explain why there was a delay? Also, if you don't mind answering, what was your order for?

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #878 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 15:08:06 »
Has anyone talked him since the beginning of this month he hasn't picked up for 3 weeks on his skype number just about 7 months now for a preassembled aluminum tkl .
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #879 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 18:03:28 »
Has anyone talked him since the beginning of this month he hasn't picked up for 3 weeks on his skype number just about 7 months now for a preassembled aluminum tkl .

I don't know if anyone has reached him about single orders but Bunny gave the impression the the CTRL[ALT] 60 GB was moving along and that's being done through GON.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #880 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 06:07:52 »
From [ctrl]alt 60 thread:
GON also wanted me to pass on this message

"Please tell the GB joiners and GH members that I feel so sorry for this terrible delay... I think I need to hire someone who can help me packing shipments. ;(   The problem here is... it's not easy who has sufficient English skill needed for this work...."

and i would like to add, although there have been delays, i cant speak highly enough of gon, whenever i do get to speak to him he is always incredibly helpful, and takes great pride in his work, im over the moon with the results, and looking forward to working with him more in the future

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #881 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 08:45:05 »
I would not mind sending an extra few bucks GON's way to help him pay for some extra help. With the amount of orders he is getting, I don't think many of us would be averse to chipping in (at least, I wouldn't).

But thank you, wlhlm, for the update, at least we know he's still alive and working  :p

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #882 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 09:27:02 »

Did he explain why there was a delay? Also, if you don't mind answering, what was your order for?

Not really, it was a quick call. He just told me that he has to get to two orders before me, one from August and one from September, before he'd ship mine out. The order was a prebuilt Crystal TKL.

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #883 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 12:58:52 »
I placed my order almost a year ago and I just got a shipping notification. So... here's hoping it's on its way and it arrives before I move out.  :))

It's the keyboard I really want, so here's hoping it's worth the wait!
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #884 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 13:39:51 »
My parts order was shipped recently.

This probably means the acrylic case hold up is over.

Looking back at the "delay" periods, I noticed they occur during large GBs, like when he made the DTA PCBs and then CTRL ALT GB hitting hi. Once those wind down I think he will have some breathing room and start pushing out those assembly orders a lot faster.

I honestly don't know how he does it, I'd go insane.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #885 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 15:23:40 »
I have received mine last night. Ordered close to 2 months ago.

Offline limster

« Reply #886 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 21:28:52 »
I received my order yesterday. It was from late Feb. It was for a plate and a PCB (+diodes, LEDs and Stabs). I never contacted him about the hold up, but I'm thinking he may have piggy backed my plate order onto the [Ctrl]Alt 60 factory order.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #887 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 22:48:00 »
I think there was a recent Massdrop buy for his stuff too. So I would be careful putting in an order now.
I'm back.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #888 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 23:09:48 »
I think there was a recent Massdrop buy for his stuff too. So I would be careful putting in an order now.

Fortunately for us (unfortunately for GON) I don't think that really took off.

GON seems to be slowly getting back into the swing of shipping.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #889 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 07:24:13 »
Finally news.....He sent pic of completed board and it supposedly went out yesterday 88888)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #890 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 08:30:47 »
Finally news.....He sent pic of completed board and it supposedly went out yesterday 88888)

Congrats, girl!  I hope you enjoy it!
I'm back.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #891 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 12:48:35 »
My parts order was shipped recently.

This probably means the acrylic case hold up is over.

My order shipped almost a week ago as well. I also had an acrylic case in my order.

Here was GON's response to the email I sent him before I'd received a shipping notification:

So sorry for late reply...
I had to save time to ship out simple orders including yours.
You would have got the shipping notification. ;)

You'll get your items in about a week.

Thank you so much for your patience.

From now, simple orders will not take long.. lol~
(I found someone who will pack and ship orders at my website.)

So it seems he did find someone who can help him. I think now I'd be more willing to order parts from him in the future, but I definitely wouldn't order an assembled board again.

I do wish GON had better communication, but I appreciate the progress towards filling the parts orders faster.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #892 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 12:50:08 »
sweet, congrats! :thumb:
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #893 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 12:51:55 »
I think a good rule of thumb as mentioned by Azumia is not to order assembled; if you do, multiply estimated wait time by 4 (so 8 months).

Building boards takes a LOOOOONNNGGGG time, the 2 months estimate was probably from the days before he became popular.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #894 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 13:26:08 »
GON finally finished my board as well. He says that he will ship it out within a couple of days.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #895 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 13:29:18 »
GON finally finished my board as well. He says that he will ship it out within a couple of days.

Awesome!!! That's great news... can't even begin to imagine what it feels like to wait as long as you did.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #896 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 13:40:57 »
Good news all 8)

Offline TLExile

« Reply #897 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 23:55:53 »
Anyone know how to get the nerd60 v2.1 board into bootloader manually? i wasn't able to configure the kbd reset with keymap using the 1.4 gui since it would crash every time i tried to save, there's mentions of the 1.3 gui being the only thing compatible with the board but i wasn't able to obtain it. now my only hope is to try and re flash the 2.0 firmware one the board but it keeps failing and timing out

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #898 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 01:48:50 »
Anyone know how to get the nerd60 v2.1 board into bootloader manually? i wasn't able to configure the kbd reset with keymap using the 1.4 gui since it would crash every time i tried to save, there's mentions of the 1.3 gui being the only thing compatible with the board but i wasn't able to obtain it. now my only hope is to try and re flash the 2.0 firmware one the board but it keeps failing and timing out

I recognize this behaviour, there is 2 pads on the back of the pcb that's needs to be soldered together. I'm in bed now, but I'll shoot you a pm when I'm up and when I have checked it.

Edit: ill post it here for future reference:

Please see the "DISCONNECT when installing FC155BC, if you are not using this FC155BC(whatever that is) the pads should be soldered together. Gon does not seem to solder these together if you order a pcb without him soldering resistors,diodes etc. I ordered a TKL and a 60 some time ago, the tkl board came with diodes and the pads soldered together(the tkl was part of a GB if i remeber correctly), but the 60 came  without diodes, and i ran into the same problem as you had, gui would crash as soon as i plugged it in. So i basically did some error searching in my soldering and found these pads. which differed between the boards

Offline TLExile

« Reply #899 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 10:42:22 »

The one thing i didn't think of when troubleshooting the board, thanks. the Fb155bc is actually the blutooth modual