Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 395180 times)

Offline lookitdisnub

Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #900 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 15:11:55 »
GON finally finished my board as well. He says that he will ship it out within a couple of days.

Mine as well. The wait will soon be over

Offline rand

« Reply #901 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 11:32:09 »
Hey all,

Just got my Nerd60 crystal parts I ordered in Feb.  Started putting it together last night and this morning.  Anyone know about the 3 bluetooth LEDs (Bluetooth status/charging/indicator). Do they all work or is it just the charging LED?

Thanks!

Offline yobinad

« Reply #902 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 11:52:28 »
Indicator LED can be linked to CAPSLOCK in NerdyGUI

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #903 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 15:26:55 »
Hey folks
 Quick question I was hoping one of you could help me out with. I am looking to replace the Aluminum bolts/screws that are shipping with my assembled board (gon tkl)and was wondering if I can order these from someone besides gon ? They appear to be a standard AL 7075T6 Bolts m3x12 mm with a flat head. I'm not sure if they are hex or not as I do not have the board in front of me. I do know he uses these for most of his housings though !

I really do not like the color and I do not want to wait 1-2 months for 12 bolts. Also it would be $24 plus shipping from him so there's that  :eek: any help with this would be greatly appreciated 8)

Thanks all

Ashley (sed8)
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline fmendonca

« Reply #904 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 16:08:41 »
Hey folks
 Quick question I was hoping one of you could help me out with. I am looking to replace the Aluminum bolts/screws that are shipping with my assembled board (gon tkl)and was wondering if I can order these from someone besides gon ? They appear to be a standard AL 7075T6 Bolts m3x12 mm with a flat head. I'm not sure if they are hex or not as I do not have the board in front of me. I do know he uses these for most of his housings though !

I really do not like the color and I do not want to wait 1-2 months for 12 bolts. Also it would be $24 plus shipping from him so there's that  :eek: any help with this would be greatly appreciated 8)

Thanks all

Ashley (sed8)

Yep, the heads are hexagonal. Maybe someone else can give you exact dimensions :) good luck.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #905 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 20:42:15 »
Hey folks

Thanks all

Ashley (sed8)

The bolts are M3x12mm, HEX flat head(head embed, google translation from portuguese :D). You need a 2mm HEX key.

Do the bolts match the case color?
My case is grey, hard anodized. The bolts aren't made of aluminum. I guess it's alloy steel. They're black.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2015, 20:57:05 by yobinad »

Offline TLExile

« Reply #906 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 21:08:54 »
Hey all,

Just got my Nerd60 crystal parts I ordered in Feb.  Started putting it together last night and this morning.  Anyone know about the 3 bluetooth LEDs (Bluetooth status/charging/indicator). Do they all work or is it just the charging LED?

Thanks!

From my tests all of them can work at the same time. I set the indicator as caps lock since the in switch one is apparently linked to the normal back light. Charging light only works if you solder the dip switch and flip 2 on. bluetooth led has three modes from what i can tell, pairing mode, searching mode and on.

Offline rand

« Reply #907 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 21:11:35 »
Hey all,

Thanks!

From my tests all of them can work at the same time. I set the indicator as caps lock since the in switch one is apparently linked to the normal back light. Charging light only works if you solder the dip switch and flip 2 on. bluetooth led has three modes from what i can tell, pairing mode, searching mode and on.
Thanks! Exactly what I needed.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #908 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 03:32:09 »
I'm also interested in buying replacement screws. Does anyone know of someone that sells them?
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #909 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 07:25:33 »
Hey folks

Thanks all

Ashley (sed8)

The bolts are M3x12mm, HEX flat head(head embed, google translation from portuguese :D). You need a 2mm HEX key.

Do the bolts match the case color?
My case is grey, hard anodized. The bolts aren't made of aluminum. I guess it's alloy steel. They're black.
no the bolts are a golden color and the aluminum casing is blue. I'm looking for a place I can buy these either locally or online in the United States. Also wondering if there is anything special about them that would keep me from using a replacement NOT from Gon himself ? Thanks everyone 8)
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2015, 08:53:34 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline yobinad

Offline fmendonca

« Reply #911 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 09:40:35 »
Has anyone ever tried to flash a different bootloader into a Nerd 2.0 PCB? I enjoy the keyboard a lot but for me it would be much better to be able to tweak the firmware and flash different configurations.

As I understand I need to use an ISP programmer and than flash the TMK firmware to the PCB. Has anyone ever tried that and can confirm that everything works, including PCB and side LEDs?

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #912 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 19:03:47 »
Keyboard arrived! Finally after over 10 months!

You can see pics on What did you get in the mail today? thread or on Imgur.

I also requested a change to the LEDs months ago which didn't make it into the final build (the LEDs should be red), however the changes to the keyswitches were made  (blues with heavier springs).

I do think that better communication and keeping track of customer and order status would be nice. The turn-around time was crazy, so I don't recommend anyone having GON build a keyboard for them, but parts seem to come much faster that assembly.
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #913 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 19:04:32 »
Has anyone ever tried to flash a different bootloader into a Nerd 2.0 PCB? I enjoy the keyboard a lot but for me it would be much better to be able to tweak the firmware and flash different configurations.

As I understand I need to use an ISP programmer and than flash the TMK firmware to the PCB. Has anyone ever tried that and can confirm that everything works, including PCB and side LEDs?

I'm curious about this as well. I'd like to have more than 2 layers.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #914 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 10:27:43 »
So I had been inquiring about picking up some different colored bolts for my new gon coming in and I'm hoping these will do the trick. I don't have the board in front of me but these match the measurements and look pretty close (I think to the ones gon supplies) if someone has an extra one they could take a close up picture of for me that would be great so I can try and match the head shape http://www.fastener-express.com/m3-x-5-x-12mm-flat-head-socket-cap-screw-purple-anodized-qty-25.aspx

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #915 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 10:44:56 »

So I had been inquiring about picking up some different colored bolts for my new gon coming in and I'm hoping these will do the trick. I don't have the board in front of me but these match the measurements and look pretty close (I think to the ones gon supplies) if someone has an extra one they could take a close up picture of for me that would be great so I can try and match the head shape http://www.fastener-express.com/m3-x-5-x-12mm-flat-head-socket-cap-screw-purple-anodized-qty-25.aspx

All m3 flat heads are the same shape so those will work.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #916 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:43:16 »
Hey guys, I really want to build a Gon Crystal 60% keyboard, I really like the Crystal TKL housing
I see here:

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/146-gon-ns-nerd-crystal-60-housing-only.html

is a pre order link, anyone know if this is still active? Is there a estimated delivery date?
Thanks!

Offline Bucky

« Reply #917 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:45:10 »

I also requested a change to the LEDs months ago which didn't make it into the final build (the LEDs should be red), however the changes to the keyswitches were made  (blues with heavier springs).

I do think that better communication and keeping track of customer and order status would be nice. The turn-around time was crazy, so I don't recommend anyone having GON build a keyboard for them, but parts seem to come much faster that assembly.

What color is your case?

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #918 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:03:21 »
Hey guys, I really want to build a Gon Crystal 60% keyboard, I really like the Crystal TKL housing
I see here:

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/146-gon-ns-nerd-crystal-60-housing-only.html

is a pre order link, anyone know if this is still active? Is there a estimated delivery date?
Thanks!

I would personally wait a few months, or call GON ahead of time on Skype to get an idea of how busy he is. A lot of people have had to wait a while for their orders - I waited two months just for my parts.

That being said, GON is a great guy and is worthy of your business... just maybe not right away  :p

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #919 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 14:10:57 »

What color is your case?

There's pics of the case in the above links :)

Offline Bucky

« Reply #920 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 18:27:48 »

What color is your case?

Oh sorry I meant which color is that grey? I ordered dark grey but to me it looks very similar to the regular grey, I was just wondering if yours was dark grey or black.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #921 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 12:00:38 »
I wonder what would be the lead time for just an unassembled Nerd NS60 case?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #922 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 00:57:37 »
What is the thickness for the poly insert? Someone asked this in the Simple Questions thread, but I want to know the answer as well. :)

Offline E3E

« Reply #923 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 15:43:14 »
Yes, exactly! This is what I asked in that aforementioned thread. It would help a ton if someone could come forth with the measurment! It looks somewhere around 3/8" or 9.5mm to me. I don't have a GON, so I can't be sure!

What is the thickness for the poly insert? Someone asked this in the Simple Questions thread, but I want to know the answer as well. :)

Offline yobinad

« Reply #924 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:04:45 »
GON NS NerD TKL policarbonate thickness is 8mm. Keyboard thickness is 12mm.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #925 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 23:20:51 »
GON NS NerD TKL policarbonate thickness is 8mm. Keyboard thickness is 12mm.
thank you!

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #926 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:16:35 »

What color is your case?

Oh sorry I meant which color is that grey? I ordered dark grey but to me it looks very similar to the regular grey, I was just wondering if yours was dark grey or black.

Oh sorry, here's what I ordered: Anodizing Type : Hard(Grey/Dark Grey Only)

And then I asked GON about it repeatedly, but I can't find a response to my questions if I could get dark grey or not. It looks pretty damn dark grey to me, so I'm happy with it personally.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #927 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:12:34 »
Can someone talk me through programming a GON? It came preprogrammed with qwerty and some weird Fn setup.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #928 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:16:47 »
Can someone talk me through programming a GON? It came preprogrammed with qwerty and some weird Fn setup.

I heard they are pretty easy thanks to Gon's software. But I don't know much sorry. Look on his website perhaps if you haven't done it already.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #929 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:17:24 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #930 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:21:09 »
I've watched the videos, he talks about the GUI window just popping up and my board doesn't do that.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #931 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:24:54 »
When you open NerDyGUI you should be able to see the first layer layout. The keyboard must be connected of course  ;D

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #932 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:26:31 »
My issue is that NerDyGUI won't open.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #933 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:27:59 »
What is your OS?
I can open it on windows 8.1 and windows XP

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #934 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:33:33 »

Is there a download that I'm missing?

Offline yobinad

« Reply #935 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:36:22 »
I have 3 files in the folder, on Desktop:
NerD_api.dll
NerDy GUI.exe
winutil.dll

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #936 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:16:48 »
I have 3 files in the folder, on Desktop:
NerD_api.dll
NerDy GUI.exe
winutil.dll
When I get home I'll check of I have a folder, I don't think I do.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #937 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:22:21 »
NerDy GUI 1.4 zipfile contains those 3 files. Just extract and run "NerDy GUI.exe"

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #938 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:08:53 »
NerDy GUI 1.4 zipfile contains those 3 files. Just extract and run "NerDy GUI.exe"

Yeah I don't have that. Can you link it to me on dropbox or google plus or something?

Offline yobinad

« Reply #939 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 04:24:05 »
Are you unable to download it from GON site?
Link from GON website

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #940 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 18:55:35 »
Are you unable to download it from GON site?
Link from GON website

Got it, thanks! NerD is actually pretty slick for programming boards.

Offline rand

« Reply #941 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 20:28:08 »
I see here:

Thanks!

I would personally wait a few months, or call GON ahead of time on Skype to get an idea of how busy he is. A lot of people have had to wait a while for their orders - I waited two months just for my parts.

That being said, GON is a great guy and is worthy of your business... just maybe not right away 
I have a gon crystal nerd60. I waited 5 months.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #942 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 13:05:00 »
I see here:

Thanks!

That being said, GON is a great guy and is worthy of your business... just maybe not right away 
Show Image

Did you ask for assembly on his side?

Offline rand

« Reply #943 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 13:17:33 »
I see here:

Thanks!

Show Image

I assembled it myself. I asked for only parts

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #944 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 16:50:57 »
I see here:

Thanks!

Show Image

I assembled it myself. I asked for only parts
Alright thank you.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #945 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:15:36 »
GON mentions that his stabs are PCB mount.

Sifo built me an acrylic GON TKL, which has a middle layer "plate", and I foolishly forgot to tell him to clip my stabilizers.

My question is: if switches have already been soldered and the stabs are installed, does one have still have to desolder the switch in order to clip them? I heard that PCB mount switches can be clipped without desoldering.

Thanks for any reply!!!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #946 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:56:41 »
GON mentions that his stabs are PCB mount.

Sifo built me an acrylic GON TKL, which has a middle layer "plate", and I foolishly forgot to tell him to clip my stabilizers.

My question is: if switches have already been soldered and the stabs are installed, does one have still have to desolder the switch in order to clip them? I heard that PCB mount switches can be clipped without desoldering.

Thanks for any reply!!!

This probably makes no sense that I'm replying to this but sharing my observations anyway.

Typically custom plates have the hole cutouts for the stabs, but not the wire. GON had made cut out for the wire as well, so it appears that I'd be able to pop out the stabilizers and then reseat them afterwards without having to completely separate the plate from the pcb (aka desolder everything). I can take another look when I'm home and you can let me know if you think it's worth a shot xD anyone else who has maybe done it feel free to chime in
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #947 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 14:29:19 »
pm'd you about that.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #948 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 17:45:38 »
Observation was correct, GON is a genius
I love Elzy

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #949 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 01:34:34 »
I would say its pretty hard to remove the stabs without desoldering even with a nerd. The stab feet will get stuck and risk breaking them if you use too much force. I might be wrong, but that's how I felt at least , so I desoldered. gl