Author Topic: Home-made Walnut 60% Cases  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Infallible

Home-made Walnut 60% Cases
« on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 18:37:06 »
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker and this year I started working on my ideas for cases made from wood. I've had an interest in doing this for years but had no previous experience with CAD/CAM or woodworking. With quarantine I found myself with a lot of time to learn new skills, so here we are. These were all made in BC, Canada out of CNCed walnut, brass threaded inserts, silicone feet, and laser cut foam or felt for noise damping. In one of the images I've labelled my designs in the order that I made them. I'd love to hear feedback on the designs, finish colour and sheen, and if cases like this are something people would be interested in buying once I finalize a design. I have a lot of ideas I'd like to explore using brass and resin-stabilized wood to do more complicated designs if I'm able to find the time and budget.

some comments on the progression so far:
More
#1 was finished with danish oil. It was my first time ever applying a wood finish and I did so quite liberally and without enough sanding which ended up leaving it quite glossy, slightly textured, and almost plastic feeling. It was comfortable to type on, but I felt that the walls of the design were too thin to show off the beauty of the material, so I decided that moving forward I would design thicker cases.

#2 and #3 were stained and then finished with a mixture of oil and polyurethane. They feel smooth, and the finish is light enough that they still feel like wood. They both feel great to type on, and sound better than #1 due to the thicker walls.

#4 was a failure as it was too bulky and the edges not rounded enough, meaning it was pretty uncomfortable to type on. On the bright side, with this one I had figured out a better sanding and top-coat process which means the feeling of the wood was fantastic and finally what I had hoped for.

#5 was sanded, like #4, to a much better standard and finished with boiled linseed oil. It is very smooth, and has feeling that I am very happy with, but I still am curious to experiment with the colour of my finishes through different oil based finishes or stains.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2020, 20:39:07 by Infallible »

Offline nevin

Re: Home-made Walnut 60% Cases
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 02:43:50 »
looks great! nice work!
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Rotwitt

• I'm trying to have fun designing keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 03:13:35 »
These look really nice and well-made! Cool project

Sendt fra min G8441 med Tapatalk

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 06:46:39 »
i am actually trying to do exactly that too :) nice to see that i am not a complete nutjob and that can work although i'd rather try to get a redder wood, just don't know which one yet.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 10:36:35 »
Wonderful cases. Ive been looking for a wood case for my alps orange. Would like to buy one if you ever decided to sell

Sent from my LM-F100 using Tapatalk

Offline Infallible

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 13:56:08 »
i am actually trying to do exactly that too :) nice to see that i am not a complete nutjob and that can work although i'd rather try to get a redder wood, just don't know which one yet.
I recommend taking a look at padauk, its something I haven't worked with yet but from what I've seen it's redder and looks beautiful. I really need to get my hands on some and try it out myself.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 14:24:37 »
Clear shots of the USB port? Is it shaped or a rectangle or...?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Infallible

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 14:49:11 »
Clear shots of the USB port? Is it shaped or a rectangle or...?

Sorry I took the boards apart so it doesn't have a PCB in it but... I try to do the part in only two setups on the CNC, so I cut this area out to make room for the cable. The USB-C female connector on the dz60 sits flush with the hole and has a slight gap on all sides to make room for the cable housing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 14:50:56 by Infallible »

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 01:14:26 »
I recommend taking a look at padauk, its something I haven't worked with yet but from what I've seen it's redder and looks beautiful. I really need to get my hands on some and try it out myself.
thanks, I'll see if i can source enough of it to make a case for my 60%, looks expensive though may 1st try with a cheaper wood and then move on
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)