Author Topic: Lot of 4 Model M's, $75 shipped  (Read 2556 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Lot of 4 Model M's, $75 shipped
« on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:27:54 »
Here's a lot of 4 IBM Model M's, p/n 1397735, on eBay for just $75 shipped. The seller says:

> These keyboards will be good for parts or repair. They are all functional but are missing key as seen in the images.

Which means—to me, at least—that they work. So what are the details?:

• They're missing 1–3 keycaps apiece, and two of them are missing L shifts.

• None of them has a spacebar. (Is a spacebar a "key"? I always wondered.)

• The 1397735, while a solid regular (non-terminal) 3rd-generation 101, has the quirk of having no logo badge. That's just how it is.

Still, man, $18.75 apiece...  ;?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Lot of 4 Model M's, $75 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:40:23 »
The description says "free shipping" but the seller "does not ship to australia" :))

They are also all missing badges.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 03:53:33 »
The description says "free shipping" but the seller "does not ship to australia" :))

I've never had the pleasure of visiting Oz. My dad, who was a member of the original Glenn Miller Army-Air Force band in the '40s, was invited there several times to play at the Big Band revival concerts Ozzies enjoy so much, and he loved being there.

But I digress. I can sympathize with you on the shipping thing. Just living in Canada, right next door to the States, presents complications that can be maddening. I can only imagine what it must be like for you Down Under, through no fault of your own.

By design—read my post again.  ;?)

That said, if I were to buy boards like these, I'd want to add badges and make them look "normal" too. How could one do that, short of cannibalizing other M's? Does anyone sell replacements, or is it possible to reproduce them somehow?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 05:38:48 »

By design—read my post again.  ;?)

I did see that, but I must have missed that they are all 1397735.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 10:58:41 »
I did find this in interest checks....

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71919.0

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:14:10 »
They sold.  I wonder who obtained them Ander?  Was it you?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 08:20:22 »
It was a good deal. If I had had the spare cash I would have nabbed them myself.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 10:00:12 »
Yep.  Pretty good deal for 4 boards.  I was wondering who actually got them.  I have too many as it is, and I can gladly say all of them are fully functional.  No need to dig any deeper than I already am!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 17:40:33 »
Yep.  Pretty good deal for 4 boards.  I was wondering who actually got them.  I have too many as it is...

Sure, but they all have logos, don't they? These didn't have logos. I don't know about you, but even the slightest variation between p/n's gets me all sweaty.  :?D

Seriously, though... Just because this p/n was logoless doesn't mean it's somehow inferior, does it? After all:

(a.) It's the only logoless Model M (as far as I know); and

(b.) It seems relatively rare (I'd never seen any before, at least)

So if anything, wouldn't this authenticity and scarcity make them more desireable as collectors' items? I'm always trying to figure this stuff out.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 17:42:50 »
It was a good deal Ander.  I don't know who won them in the auction however.  I was thinking it may have been a member here that got them.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 17:58:07 »
Looks like they'll remain nameless. The buyer, I mean, not the KBs... Oh—both, actually.