Author Topic: Magicforce 68 Video review. 40$ Budget wonder? Or Paperweight with Keycaps?  (Read 14557 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Zar7

For the price, it seems to be quite a good board. After watching Randomfrankp's review of the Magicforce 68 (which is mostly positive), I went out searching for one.

Eventually a friend of mine gave me his to review. His is the Kailh Red version. Personally, the keyboard feels quite solid (especially given the outrageous price). The only issue I have with the board is the inconsistency of the mechanical switches (which in this case, Kailh Red). Some keys are heavier than the other, and overall not so consistent with the rest of the board.

As you mentioned, the Cherry Stabilizers stabilizing the longer keys are quite rattly and unstable, even more so than a regular board with Cherry Stabilizers. The backspace, backspace and left shift feel a little bit mushy, but again, given the MSRP of the board, they had to skip several aspect of the quality to keep the price down.

As a starting board, it is a pretty nice keyboard. If you manage to get a Cherry MX version, then the inconsistency will not be an issue anymore. Do note that Cherry MX version commands a higher price tag (but is still relatively cheaper than others at $69.99 on Amazon).

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

For the price, it seems to be quite a good board. After watching Randomfrankp's review of the Magicforce 68 (which is mostly positive), I went out searching for one.

Eventually a friend of mine gave me his to review. His is the Kailh Red version. Personally, the keyboard feels quite solid (especially given the outrageous price). The only issue I have with the board is the inconsistency of the mechanical switches (which in this case, Kailh Red). Some keys are heavier than the other, and overall not so consistent with the rest of the board.

As you mentioned, the Cherry Stabilizers stabilizing the longer keys are quite rattly and unstable, even more so than a regular board with Cherry Stabilizers. The backspace, backspace and left shift feel a little bit mushy, but again, given the MSRP of the board, they had to skip several aspect of the quality to keep the price down.

As a starting board, it is a pretty nice keyboard. If you manage to get a Cherry MX version, then the inconsistency will not be an issue anymore. Do note that Cherry MX version commands a higher price tag (but is still relatively cheaper than others at $69.99 on Amazon).

Iv'e run across the inconsistency in weighting on Kailh switches before, the Outemu Blacks seem to be fairly consistent on the one i have however they are definitely heavier than Cherry Blacks are.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Zar7

Outemu seems to have good switches. You would've thought Kailh's quality to improve over the years of manufacturing. They do improve, just ever so slightly. Gaterons, Zealios and Outemu seems to be hitting the market pretty hard.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

Outemu seems to have good switches. You would've thought Kailh's quality to improve over the years of manufacturing. They do improve, just ever so slightly. Gaterons, Zealios and Outemu seems to be hitting the market pretty hard.

Yeah for as long as Kailh has been around...while iv'e never had a kailh switch die on me the weighting inconsistency seems to be far more variable than most other switches.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Zar7

Same here. I have reviewed four boards with Kailh so far, with equal splitting of Kailh Red, Black, Blue and Brown.
The smoothest one so far (by smoothest I mean with least issue) is Kailh Red, although it is still far from being MX-perfect
(variable force to actuate, etc.). Most of the keys are fairly consistent, but some Kailh batches are really bad.

By the way, I am a huge fan of your video reviews. Keep on making more awesome videos for us!

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

Same here. I have reviewed four boards with Kailh so far, with equal splitting of Kailh Red, Black, Blue and Brown.
The smoothest one so far (by smoothest I mean with least issue) is Kailh Red, although it is still far from being MX-perfect
(variable force to actuate, etc.). Most of the keys are fairly consistent, but some Kailh batches are really bad.

By the way, I am a huge fan of your video reviews. Keep on making more awesome videos for us!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Have some more reviews on the way once i finish my Upcoming Sponsored reviews with SADES for two headsets they sent over.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline zephyr11

I too saw this avail locally, very curious about it.

I actually thought that othemu switches (browns at least) are quite mushy compared to gateron browns, not sure why but it is something I could feel. but the cherry browns are still my fav.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

I too saw this avail locally, very curious about it.

I actually thought that othemu switches (browns at least) are quite mushy compared to gateron browns, not sure why but it is something I could feel. but the cherry browns are still my fav.

I still like Cherry Browns but i do find them a bit scratchy or sandy if you will compared to most of their clones.  However the Cherry switches seem to generally be more consistent in their weighting.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline zephyr11

really?

I thought it was the smoothest I've tried, though the gateron browns are really growing on me.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

really?

I thought it was the smoothest I've tried, though the gateron browns are really growing on me.

Some of the slightly older Cherry batches of switches feel much better than the newer ones do also so that could have something to do with it.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Zar7

Yeah, gotta agree with LEGaming.

Stock MX Browns are sandy in the beginning, but they are very consistent (German manufacturing quality).
Keep using MX Browns, and the switches will quickly break in little by little. Broken-in MX Browns are very smooth, with
a nice subtle tactility. My friend thought my MX Browns are lubed, when, in fact, they are not.

As great as MX Browns are, my first choice is still the MX Reds. The smoothness and the light touch is awesome!

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
The MagicForce was pretty great imo. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to this hobby but after feeling some Blues on it I was in love!

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

The MagicForce was pretty great imo. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to this hobby but after feeling some Blues on it I was in love!

The MagicForce is a great cheap way to slowly dip your toes in before you start spending the big bucks!  Rest assured you will never stop at one :p
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Zar7

My 3 weeks old Magicforce 68 failed for good today. Keys are not registering, and dip-switches are not usable. After an hour of having hopes that it will start functioning back as normal, I packed it up in the box it came with. Walked down the stairs, went outside, and threw the Magicforce into the garbage bin.

Man I have really high hopes for the keyboard to last longer than it was. Functionality wise it is awesome, but it just have to go after failing continuously. So long Magicforce.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

That's really the first case i have read of someone having major problems with one thus far =/  Damn shame too since for the money it's a nice little board but i totally would understand and relate to the frustration were that me in that situation.  Did you buy it through anyone like Amazon you can return it to?

Sorry to hear about the bad luck =/   
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Mine's still working fine, and I;m not exactly kind to it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Zar7

It's okay Liquid Evil Gaming. I feel really bad for throwing it out because I really like it, for what it offers at THAT price point. Prior before deciding to throw it out,
me and my friend cracked it open to see if there is anything wrong with the internals. At one glance everything looks fine, but then, we noticed that several connections were loose, and
the PCB is kind of bent. Unfortunately, Amazon won't accept returns since we opened it up. Makes sense, but there is no way of knowing whether it is an internal problem unless you crack it
open.

I was being quite kind to it (no raging or smashing it), but it failed nonetheless.
But damn, it was a very good board.

Offline Winterheim

Got this as my first venture into sub-TKL sized keyboards coming from a full sized mechanical keyboard and I must say I'm enjoying how smooth the Gateron blues feel on this board. Feels like it has a crisper click to it. The board itself feels really sturdy for its price and I've seen some pretty steep price tags for boards of this size and layout. The single direction cable routing system annoys me a bit but I love the fact that it keeps the USB plug snug underneath.

Definitely bang for the buck. And I've seen some other people who have started modding the case for the MF68 and they look gorgeous.

Offline TheWhiteAndTheBlue

I got this board in a trade on /r/mechmarket and for the price, it's a really solid board. Mine features Gateron Browns (I usually use Cherry MX Browns and I'm not yet sure which ones I like more). As some have said, my biggest issue is the spacebar and stabilizers. The stabilizers are quite cheap and I have found that some of them have gotten a little rickety with use. Also, I can't seem to properly fit any type of DSA cap on the stabilizers (especially the spacebar). Cherry and SA profile fit just fine but DSA seems to be too shallow for the whole stabilizer and since some are loose and rickety, they get caught on the top of the stabilizer cause the key to get jammed and never go down. Rather unfortunate as if they used just slightly better quality stabilizer, this board would be a steal.

Overall, nice board, good key feel, look out for the stabilizers and don't use DSA profile caps.

Offline ozan6661

Re: Magicforce 68 Video review. 40$ Budget wonder? Or Paperweight with Keycaps?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 02:56:33 »
bought this keyboard second hand last month and this my first mechanical keyboard, the board itself was really good build and with detachable too i use the gateron blue and maybe changeing the keycaps stock is good opinon but the stock keycaps not really bad.

really enjoying this my first mechanical keyboard.