Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1314847 times)

Offline stancato9

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2150 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 00:19:57 »
I'd say the recommendation of a 598 would be really rough for your purposes.  Open headphones have a tough time tackling bass response, and those that do well with bass can go a bit too far.  Without getting a lot more pricey I would say open is going to be impossible to find a good solution

Recently I recommended a sub $100 pair of headphones which are Fischer Audio FA-003 clones called NVX Audio XTP-100.  eckse from IRC showed me these after I've been following the FA-003 and its clones.  This is a great package and comes with extra angled ear-pads and an extra detachable cable for replacement.  The total cost of the bundle is $80 with free shipping.  I have had great success with this headphone paired with a Roland Tri-Capture which is a DAC/AMP for the desktop with other I/O for $120.

This info will be in my review-- this is a very high end sounding headphone that will grow with you for years.  It is also great for isolation and not lacking in articulation despite pointyfox's claims that a closed headphone sounds muffled.  Just remember you'll be going to college soon enough and noise is a part of that experience.  You can block it out with these or hear people crashing around which will disturb your jams.

Listen to Binge, he knows his stuff. The closed would allow for lower frequencies which are essential for the music you listen to.

The only thing I would add is: You might just want to go for a Schiit Amp (Magni or Vali) and save up for the Modi in the near future. There won't be too much of a difference not having the DAC right now, and you would have the peace of mind knowing that you will eventually have a nice entry level stack.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2151 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 01:56:24 »
Need some advice from my audio peeps:

Need an Amp and set of headphones for the holidays, going to be all for me. (christmas wooo). Budget is around $200-250

CptBroAss suggested the Schiit Magni Amp , which is $100, and I've heard from some others that that's a great starting amp, so i think i might roll with that unless anyone has any other suggestions.

As for headphones, I have no idea. I was looking at the HD 598's, and at the ATH-M50s. I dont really know personally the difference between open / closed headphones, but from what i hear, i think i'm going to want closed ones. My favorite type of music is EDM, mainly trance and deep house (I think that's a factor in this)

Also need cables, I have the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo, not sure if that info is needed.

just looking for suggestions/ideas, thanks for the help.

Open headphones are clear sounding.  Closed have a slightly muffled sound.  The benefit to closed is that they bleed out less sound.

Just use any cable that works.  They don't influence the sound in any perceivable way.

You should get a used Sennheiser HD600 which has by far the best value in the $200-$300 range.

Amp doesn't matter nearly as much as headphone selection does.  You should be fine with a soundcard.  I A-B'd a $5 soundcard, a $200 soundcard, a $500 discreet amp, and a $900 discreet amp and found very little difference between them.  If you like a smooth/warm sound, you could get a tube amp that clips with the tubes a bit, though that will run you $150+ just for the amp.  Though that can be simulated by a $0 DSP :P

Gonna have to go with LCD-3's if we're talking open cans. I should probably get off of Audeze's **** all the time, but in all honesty they make the second best sounding headphones I've ever had the pleasure of listening to on a high end system.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2152 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 02:02:05 »
Need some advice from my audio peeps:

Need an Amp and set of headphones for the holidays, going to be all for me. (christmas wooo). Budget is around $200-250

CptBroAss suggested the Schiit Magni Amp , which is $100, and I've heard from some others that that's a great starting amp, so i think i might roll with that unless anyone has any other suggestions.

As for headphones, I have no idea. I was looking at the HD 598's, and at the ATH-M50s. I dont really know personally the difference between open / closed headphones, but from what i hear, i think i'm going to want closed ones. My favorite type of music is EDM, mainly trance and deep house (I think that's a factor in this)

Also need cables, I have the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo, not sure if that info is needed.

just looking for suggestions/ideas, thanks for the help.

Open headphones are clear sounding.  Closed have a slightly muffled sound.  The benefit to closed is that they bleed out less sound.

Just use any cable that works.  They don't influence the sound in any perceivable way.

You should get a used Sennheiser HD600 which has by far the best value in the $200-$300 range.

Amp doesn't matter nearly as much as headphone selection does.  You should be fine with a soundcard.  I A-B'd a $5 soundcard, a $200 soundcard, a $500 discreet amp, and a $900 discreet amp and found very little difference between them.  If you like a smooth/warm sound, you could get a tube amp that clips with the tubes a bit, though that will run you $150+ just for the amp.  Though that can be simulated by a $0 DSP :P

Gonna have to go with LCD-3's if we're talking open cans. I should probably get off of Audeze's **** all the time, but in all honesty they make the second best sounding headphones I've ever had the pleasure of listening to on a high end system.

That's only about... 8x his max budget :p

I would love to hear any Audeze hp, I have heard nothing but amazing things about them.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2153 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 02:08:19 »
I listen to music through a Ferrari so I suggest you go that way. It's in your budget.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2155 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 04:29:17 »
@dubs(to lazy to quote on my phone)
If you can find a pair of Denon ah-d2000 pick them up.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #2156 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 15:08:11 »
I'd say the recommendation of a 598 would be really rough for your purposes.  Open headphones have a tough time tackling bass response, and those that do well with bass can go a bit too far.  Without getting a lot more pricey I would say open is going to be impossible to find a good solution

This info will be in my review-- this is a very high end sounding headphone that will grow with you for years.  It is also great for isolation and not lacking in articulation despite pointyfox's claims that a closed headphone sounds muffled.  Just remember you'll be going to college soon enough and noise is a part of that experience.  You can block it out with these or hear people crashing around which will disturb your jams.

Thanks Binge, I do think a pair of closed headphones would do better. I don't think bass is the end-all-be-all for me, It's just a factor. talking to ya on skype so  ;D

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #2157 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:09:31 »
Ok, options after talking to TheGunner, Binge and Eckse, Men i respect in the audio world:

Headphones:
Sony MDR V6
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ

NVX
http://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions-Earpads/dp/B0093PVTPS

The 598's
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Burl-Wood-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2

(sounds like I'd love this next one..it is a little expensive)
the Mad Dogs
https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Alpha-Pad-Fostex-T50RP-headphone

Amps:

Vali
http://schiit.com/products/vali

as i understand, this is better with combos and specific combos

Magni
http://schiit.com/products/magni

as i understand, this is better with more general headphones and more common ones

the deciding factor here will be which pair of headphones

My budget, like i said in total should be $250-300, for amps and headphones. I can go over that, possibly up to like $700 total, but as I am on a total budget for gifts, I like to save the majority for keyboards.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2158 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:12:40 »
Out of those I'd go with the Senns, but I have heard great things about the Mad Dogs. You may wanna pony up the extra dough for them, the reviews sound like they are worth it. Recent Sony models can be hit and miss in terms of build quality imo.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2159 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:14:38 »
If you have someone scouring head-fi for you or are doing it yourself, it won't be difficult to find mad dogs in the 200 - 250 range used.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #2160 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:25:33 »
If you have someone scouring head-fi for you or are doing it yourself, it won't be difficult to find mad dogs in the 200 - 250 range used.

;) :wave:

Out of those I'd go with the Senns, but I have heard great things about the Mad Dogs. You may wanna pony up the extra dough for them, the reviews sound like they are worth it. Recent Sony models can be hit and miss in terms of build quality imo.

Initially I was thinking the senns, but apparently open headphones and EDM don't pair great. honestly the mad dogs sound the best for me, but they are just a little bit more then i'd like to spend...still not an option, i'm just thinking...

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2161 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 19:17:09 »

;) :wave:

Initially I was thinking the senns, but apparently open headphones and EDM don't pair great. honestly the mad dogs sound the best for me, but they are just a little bit more then i'd like to spend...still not an option, i'm just thinking...

I bought the 598s when they went on sale for $150 here in Canada. (They are a lot more expensive here than in the US) I wouldn't advise going with them for EDM. They sound fantastic, but don't really do well with that type of music. Go for the mad dogs ;)
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2162 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 14:39:17 »
Welp, I got a pair of Alpha Dogs secondhand recently and for the most part, I could see these being my daily driver.  If I didn't have a pair of hd800s that is.  It's super difficult to choose now.

I like the detail, staging and spacing from the hd800s while being ok with the sound signature out of my Lyr/Bifrost combo.

I like the silky, rich sound of the alphas that are *almost* detailed enough to be reference level to me.  They are slightly less good than the hd800s at the technical stuff, though.

Both are very comfortable and I don't feel like I'm missing out with my current source set up.

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #2163 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 16:01:18 »
I have Sennheiser HD 280 pro and Sony MDR-v6 :p

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2164 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 20:17:19 »
I'm still rocking my Sony mdr-v900's from 14 years ago when I used to dj. Reading about all of these goodies make me want to step up my headphone game.

Dubs, did you every settle on anything and pull the trigger? I'm eyeing that NVX XPT100 set that Binge recommended.. I know nothing about headphones..
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2014, 20:52:07 by digi »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2165 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:33:03 »
Dubs, did you every settle on anything and pull the trigger? I'm eyeing that NVX XPT100 set that Binge recommended.. I know nothing about headphones..

to answer your question:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52726.msg1171812#msg1171812

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2166 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:38:12 »

to answer your question:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52726.msg1171812#msg1171812

cool, thanks

Recently I recommended a sub $100 pair of headphones which are Fischer Audio FA-003 clones called NVX Audio XTP-100.  eckse from IRC showed me these after I've been following the FA-003 and its clones.  This is a great package and comes with extra angled ear-pads and an extra detachable cable for replacement.  The total cost of the bundle is $80 with free shipping.  I have had great success with this headphone paired with a Roland Tri-Capture which is a DAC/AMP for the desktop with other I/O for $120.

::EDIT:: I'm not saying that the headphone I suggested would suit your current musical tastes the most but it is a safe bet and can be EQed to suit your taste without losing its clean sound.  Also like I mentioned it will grow with you.

Binge, is this the amp you're referring to? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/roland-tri-capture-usb-audio-interface

Also, I have an old behringer 8 channel mixing board that has some type of pre-amp in it. Would that be decent to power the NVX headphones or should I really get the Roland also? Thanks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:46:49 by digi »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2167 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:06:35 »
Had high hopes for that ATH-W1000X buy on Massdrop, but the final price wound up being like $100 more than the cheapest you can get them for. Why was it even on Massdrop?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2168 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:42:17 »
Do you need a DAC/AMP if 1. Your headphone is good enough or 2. You have a fancy sound card?
Sorry if wrong thread. This question fits into general headphone issues.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2169 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:43:07 »
Do you need a DAC/AMP if 1. Your headphone is good enough or 2. You have a fancy sound card?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47925.0

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2170 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:45:12 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47925.0

cool thx

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2171 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 04:36:12 »
Not sure if I mentioned it, but the koss porta pros are very nice and affordable, especially for travel etc.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2172 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 05:26:16 »

Yes. Any good headphone requires a DAC and AMP to properly drive the signal.
The reason why audiophiles get a DAC is because good headphones pick up interference (motherboard signals etc).
Soundcards generally don't do enough in terms of isolating signals. DACs also just tend to be much better and more expensive.

I would go into this more but I am typing this on my tablet.

I don't think I have posted in this thread before so my current audio gear:
Audio Technica ATH W5000
Sennhesier HD 650
Audio Technical ATH M50

Burson Conductor

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2173 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 09:52:51 »
^^ real audiophiles don't use a soundcard as a source :P

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2174 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 20:37:06 »
Just got back from Guitar Center, I tried on the DT 770's and noticed that both the top and bottom of my near are slightly pressed down by the ear cushions. I'm wondering if my big ears would be more roomy in the NVX's. I'm also on a budget so I want to get a cheap AMP for the NVX's if anyone has a recommendation it would greatly appreciated.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2175 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 21:57:22 »

so no reason to get a $50 fancy ass soundcard? Just a $75 DAC?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2176 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 23:32:09 »

so no reason to get a $50 fancy ass soundcard? Just a $75 DAC?

Ok, just because it shows that you aren't willing to do the research.... DACs are specialized "sound cards".  There are DACs on sound cards, and a "DAC" can play the roll of a sound card as a streaming audio device over USB/Coaxial/SPDIF.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2177 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 23:37:51 »
i just buy what tj tells me to buy, so far he's 100%.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2178 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:28:47 »
I pulled the trigger on the NVX XPT100s, should have them by next week. I'll report back in, anything is an improvement over my current set of headphones which are like 15 years old, lol.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2179 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 18:29:37 »
I pulled the trigger on the NVX XPT100s, should have them by next week. I'll report back in, anything is an improvement over my current set of headphones which are like 15 years old, lol.

Nice!  Let us know how they are for you :)

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #2180 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:18:05 »
TJ told me to buy the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 and I bought it. It adds quite a noticeable improvement in sound quality through my Astro A40 + Mix Amp Pro.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2181 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:28:28 »
Got my new NVX XPT100s, the sound quality is very good. I am only using an 8 channel mixing board for a pre-amp, so my setup is a lot more ghetto than most of yours.

The only thing I don't like about these headphones is that the head rest has almost no cushioning. The two bars that go across pretty much sit right on my dome and after about 45mins to an hour, I have to re-position the phones because they cause discomfort. I might add something under it, probably an easy fix.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2182 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:42:50 »
Got my new NVX XPT100s, the sound quality is very good. I am only using an 8 channel mixing board for a pre-amp, so my setup is a lot more ghetto than most of yours.

The only thing I don't like about these headphones is that the head rest has almost no cushioning. The two bars that go across pretty much sit right on my dome and after about 45mins to an hour, I have to re-position the phones because they cause discomfort. I might add something under it, probably an easy fix.

You could pick up something like this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-fit-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones-/200806723604?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec1037014
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2183 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:51:17 »

You could pick up something like this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-fit-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones-/200806723604?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec1037014

Yea, I'll probably swoop on that, thanks.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2184 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 14:17:16 »
TJ told me to buy the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 and I bought it. It adds quite a noticeable improvement in sound quality through my Astro A40 + Mix Amp Pro.

Interestingly enough the Mix Amp Pro works with dolby pro-logic circuitry to be used as intended.  So it looks like for this pairing to work at it's intended maximum one would need a sound card with dolby pro-logic and optical out.  Great catch TJ :)

Offline theeattre

« Reply #2185 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 14:44:38 »

these are the most comfortable headphones i've ever owned. there were times when the music had stopped for over an hour and i forgot i was even wearing them. i haven't had any problem with the band across the top. sucks to hear that it's a problem. the quality overall is solid. it's not a headphone i would take out/travel with (though i can't see why you wouldn't, i just don't commute with headphones) but as a home piece the quality met/exceeded my expectations.

sound wise i'm pretty impressed. at first i was kind of shocked by the lack of bass (i primarily listen to house/tech house/minimal) but i ran them through a burn in audio clip for six hours and when i came back there was a noticeable difference in improvement. running through them through my magni was the clincher; all of a sudden there was full depth across the board. i know these are marketed as a studio monitor and they definitely live up to that. i must admit, listening to more dj oriented music i'm used to headphones that color sound, romanticizing the bass (though i hate overwhelming bass) and pushing highs but the nvt seem to keep everything on an even keel. i have noticed that some tracks are just a tad too sparkly but that could have more to do with the recording itself. this headphone will take some time to get used to but i got these specifically in hopes of hearing and learning to enjoy a more neutral listening experience while staying within a reasonable budget.

i'll come back and update my thoughts after these have gotten more useage.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2186 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 16:00:34 »

these are the most comfortable headphones i've ever owned. there were times when the music had stopped for over an hour and i forgot i was even wearing them. i haven't had any problem with the band across the top. sucks to hear that it's a problem. the quality overall is solid. it's not a headphone i would take out/travel with (though i can't see why you wouldn't, i just don't commute with headphones) but as a home piece the quality met/exceeded my expectations.

sound wise i'm pretty impressed. at first i was kind of shocked by the lack of bass (i primarily listen to house/tech house/minimal) but i ran them through a burn in audio clip for six hours and when i came back there was a noticeable difference in improvement. running through them through my magni was the clincher; all of a sudden there was full depth across the board. i know these are marketed as a studio monitor and they definitely live up to that. i must admit, listening to more dj oriented music i'm used to headphones that color sound, romanticizing the bass (though i hate overwhelming bass) and pushing highs but the nvt seem to keep everything on an even keel. i have noticed that some tracks are just a tad too sparkly but that could have more to do with the recording itself. this headphone will take some time to get used to but i got these specifically in hopes of hearing and learning to enjoy a more neutral listening experience while staying within a reasonable budget.

If you have a good parametric EQ- I found that the following settings work magic for the NVX/Fischer 003 clones.

20Hz +3dB Q7
150Hz -3dB Q7
300Hz +2dB Q8
800Hz -4dB Q5
8kHz +4dB Q10
14kHz -3dB Q5

Offline theeattre

« Reply #2187 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 17:31:55 »

If you have a good parametric EQ- I found that the following settings work magic for the NVX/Fischer 003 clones.

20Hz +3dB Q7
150Hz -3dB Q7
300Hz +2dB Q8
800Hz -4dB Q5
8kHz +4dB Q10
14kHz -3dB Q5

dude, bad ass! was totally going to pm you about suggestions. good looking out. do you have one that you'd recommend?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2014, 17:34:52 by theeattre »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2188 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 17:55:37 »
Really sorry to bother people here again. I'm looking for a 1. Comfortable 2. Under $100 and 3. Good sounding headphone. Which one do you recommend? DAC will most likely be binge's when he finishes the project

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #2189 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:07:24 »
Really sorry to bother people here again. I'm looking for a 1. Comfortable 2. Under $100 and 3. Good sounding headphone. Which one do you recommend? DAC will most likely be binge's when he finishes the project

Audio Technica ATH-T400 (I personally have these and for the price they sound very good)

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-T400-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B004RO3V7O

Audio Technica ATH-AD500X (Bass isn't that great but everything else is good)

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD500X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S333U4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_5

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2190 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:41:26 »

Audio Technica ATH-T400 (I personally have these and for the price they sound very good)

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-T400-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B004RO3V7O

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD500X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S333U4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_5

Sweet. Prob going to get the ATH-T400.

My friend also said the RP-HTF600-S are good, http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Stereo-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B004MMEI8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389227470&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+htf600
But leaning toward the T400

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2191 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 19:15:49 »
Pacifist

http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4
http://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions-Earpads/dp/B0093PVTPS/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1389229960&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=NVX
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000079-UE-6000-Headphones/dp/B0094S36RI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389230007&sr=1-2&keywords=logitech+headphones

^ take your pick :D

20Hz +3dB Q7
150Hz -3dB Q7
300Hz +2dB Q8
800Hz -4dB Q5
8kHz +4dB Q10
14kHz -3dB Q5

dude, bad ass! was totally going to pm you about suggestions. good looking out. do you have one that you'd recommend?

I am currently using Equalizer APO.  It's a bit tough to set up but it allows you control over just about too many settings.

WARNING: no GUI, scripting

http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2192 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 19:19:29 »

Sweet. Prob going to get the ATH-T400.

My friend also said the RP-HTF600-S are good, http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Stereo-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B004MMEI8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389227470&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+htf600
But leaning toward the T400

I am a fan of those panasonics, I think they were ~$30 when I got them.

If you want a cheap portable headphone the koss ports pros are hard to beat, $25 @ amazon.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2193 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 20:06:35 »
Going to go with the panasonics. Going to be $30 into the audiophile world, a small step in comparison to other headphones. I just hope it doesn't end up like keyboards, robbing me of my money.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2194 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 20:09:57 »
Going to go with the panasonics. Going to be $30 into the audiophile world, a small step in comparison to other headphones. I just hope it doesn't end up like keyboards, robbing me of my money.

It will. Just go over to head-fi.org

I spent thousands in just a few months, but that was over 10 years ago.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2195 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 20:26:08 »

If we are shooting for the $30 price range I would go with Tascams.

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389234296&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+headphones

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2196 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 20:29:27 »
Or the pioneers I link all the time

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2197 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 20:31:31 »

If we are shooting for the $30 price range I would go with Tascams.

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389234296&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+headphones

Why are the red on white ones $10 cheaper? Nobody likes those colors? (Then how come RA is so awesome?) http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389234296&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+headphones

My friend said that after 80 hrs of burning in the panasonics, they sound really really good.
Why do you prefer the tascam over the panasonic? What aspects are better? Want to make an educated purchase and buy something good for me.

Thanks for all the help on finding headphones, means a lot after using $6 headphones for a while.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2198 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 20:43:23 »
I think I'd pay the extra to get the black over white.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2199 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 22:32:45 »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=395L3FFQVKA96&coliid=I1RB17CTF06PQQ

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389241875&sr=1-1&keywords=m50
(You can usually buy this for under 100)