Author Topic: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated:22/March/2024)  (Read 177037 times)

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 22/02/2022)
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 08:04:38 »
I found another set.

https://idobao.net/products/idobao-ma-element-sublimation-keycap-pbt-material?variant=39561334423683

And a very cool one at that! I think a couple of keys are actually missing (for ES at least) but I wouldn't mind giving a go at that unusual profile :O

P.S. All of the linked Traitors sets are now in stock in EC.

Offline Stevens

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 02/03/2022)
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 11:47:47 »
KPRepublic start selling Spanish Taio Hygge on Aliexpress https://a.aliexpress.com/_vSZ2X9

They also sell the ANSI layout (not Spanish).
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2022, 11:50:26 by Stevens »

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 02/03/2022)
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 03:37:01 »
KPRepublic start selling Spanish Taio Hygge on Aliexpress https://a.aliexpress.com/_vSZ2X9

They also sell the ANSI layout (not Spanish).

Thats another one https://oblotzky.industries/products/pbt-notion?variant=42535530791147

Hehehe, thanks! But they were both on the list!! (Although it is true that the Tai Hao is linked to the EC site, but I think that for ES buyers that's actually going to be a better option).

The PBT and DSA Milkshake sets (that are also awaiting stock and should be available before the end of the month), are also in the list, btw. Let's hope that these ones arrive with the correct international kits, because it seems that there was a problem with the PBT Notion international kit and the ;, key is missing  :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2022, 09:33:11 by salgiza »

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 28/03/2022)
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 05:19:16 »
I just added the Tai-Hao Smokey Quartz to the list, for ISO-ES users. Translucent keycaps are hard to find, so preorder them if interested!

Offline cbz001

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 07:09:37 »
https://www.eloquentclicks.com/product/traitors-infinity-keycaps-iso/

Cheers to my friends from Spain, Portugal and Brazil... And the rest of South America :)

Offline salgiza

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 07:58:44 »
https://www.eloquentclicks.com/product/traitors-infinity-keycaps-iso/

Cheers to my friends from Spain, Portugal and Brazil... And the rest of South America :)

Cheers! All of the Traitors (and Tai-Hao) sets sold by Eloquent Clicks are already on the list!  ;)

Offline ale210

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 01:21:15 »
I really need an 9009 style keyset in spanish... :confused: :confused: :( :( :(

Offline abucazu

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 04:01:25 »
I really need an 9009 style keyset in spanish... :confused: :confused: :( :( :(

ePBT Scandi is very similar.

It is possible that once the set's production is finished and standard orders have shipped to customers, maybe vendors will have some extras they'll release at their discretion.

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 17/04/2022)
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 17 April 2022, 09:40:54 »
Both Milkshake sets were available for sale last week, but Oblotzky has already sold all units of the international kit. I’ve also added links to the manufacturer (Novelkeys), as they still have stock of the Cherry set, and they will keep restocking the sets (although new units are not expected until Q3).

I got the DSA Milkshake set and I must say that it looks and feels amazing.

On different news, DSA PetriKeys didn’t get enough requests for a South kit, unfortunately, but it has the ñ key (in the base kit) and being DSA with no tertiaries I guess that you can make a Frankenstein layout quite close to the ES one, for those interested (I updated the link to point to the GB thread).

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 7/5/2022)
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:46:09 »
I’ve added a link to the Glorious Pudding Keycaps keycaps (ES/PT) in the list. It’s an old set with no 75% support, but it’s the only “pudding” set that I know that exists for these layouts.

Offline Nascent

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 02:17:18 »
eloquentclicks has an IC form for R2 of XMI keycaps. Support for different layouts is considered, so if you're interested in any of the sets, you can help get your desired layout manufactured

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfmq_xl8sgVHhSbVV2JX67hQnztun-vW2xQZXfjKlusgpHjhg/viewform

Offline 1pctipaday

• The show must go on
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 02 June 2022, 17:15:03 »
First of all, thanks a lot for this thread. It is incredibly useful!!!

Secondly, I would like to give my impressions on GBPT keycaps, as they are, as far as I know, the only ones that include all ES tertiary legends (apart from that well know BoW with WoB mods cherry keyset from AliExpress).

I have the Arctic White version and I must admit that it is a great keyset: crispy legends, thick keycaps and high quality manufacturing standards in general.

Lastly, I would like to share with all of you an idea. Why don't we, as southern forgotten enthusiasts, create an international keyset from scratch? I mean: Do you guys think that if we make a full ISO keyset for ITA, ES, PT..., we won't reach the MOQ?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2022, 17:19:07 by 1pctipaday »

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 13:35:22 »
Great idea and I think there is a good chance!

We could aim for Matt3o's new MTNU profile produced by GMK - we'd have a good chance as GMK is ISO friendly and Matt3o cares about international support.
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline salgiza

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 02:42:14 »
I’ve actually wondered the same myself, but unfortunately I currently don’t have enough spare time to try to design a keyset. If anyone wants to give it a try, though, I’ll do my best to promote it.

Doing a new keyset for the MTNU profile would be quite cool, btw.

If we manage to get moulds for any double shot profile, though, that would be a huge success. There have been a few DSS or DSA keysets, for example, where the creator was willing to add a South kit, but the lack of moulds made it impossible.

Offline 1pctipaday

• The show must go on
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 08:43:15 »
Sooner rather later I will share a design in a kind of Pre-IC, focused only on ES layout, but open to include others.

Offline 1pctipaday

• The show must go on
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 13:25:42 »
I would like to present the CARBÓN VIBES Pre-IC keyset!

It's inspired by the most common mineral here in my region (charcoal, "carbón" in Spanish).

Feel free to give me your first impressions and feedback.

It is only ISO-ES layout. My thought is collect your ideas, find a collaborator and launch an IC if I see enough interest among the Spanish community.

The keyset will be Cherry profile PBT and dye sub, this in order to keep price as affordable as possible.

Please, treat this like a Pre-IC work  :thumb:

______
Quiero presentaros el keyset Pre-IC CARBÓN VIBES.

Está inspirado en el carbón, mineral más común aquí en mi región (Asturias).

Sentiros libres de darme vuestras primeras impresiones y feedback.

Por el momento solo es para layout ISO-ES. Tengo en mente recopilar vuestras ideas, (posiblemente) encontrar un colaborador y lanzar un IC si veo suficiente interés entre la comunidad española.

El keyset será PBT perfil Cherry y dye sub, esto último para intentar mantener el precio final asequible.

Por favor, ved esto como un Pre-IC :thumb:

______
PASOS A SEGUIR (listado revisable con vuestra ayuda):
1) Recabar vuestras ideas e impresiones iniciales.
2) Hacer un Google Form como Pre-IC para seguir recabando información e ideas. ¿Algún colaborador?
3) Ir definiendo kitting final, referencias de colores finales y mejorar un poco el render.
4) Buscar fabricante y vendor. Quiero ponerme en contacto con MW y Hammerworks. Pienso en Eloquent Clicks como vendor.
5) Lanzar IC con suficiente información y una buena base.
6) REZAR Y ESPERAR
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 June 2022, 04:19:29 by 1pctipaday »

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 6/6/2022)
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 04:01:33 »
I just added a link to MW Paws both in the unusual kits list and the Ñ frankestein kits. If you ever thought: gosh, I wish all of my keycaps had a pawn drawn on them, instead of this silly letters... well, this is your set.

Offline ale210

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 01:52:02 »
I just added a link to MW Paws both in the unusual kits list and the Ñ frankestein kits. If you ever thought: gosh, I wish all of my keycaps had a pawn drawn on them, instead of this silly letters... well, this is your set.

Hi mate,

Looks fine for me, i like the color scheme. I have only a suggest, the tertiary cyan symbols looks "strange" at least in the PC monitor, I think that could be better approach if all are blank.

¡Saludos!

Offline 1pctipaday

• The show must go on
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 06:17:24 »

I would like to present the CARBÓN VIBES Pre-IC keyset!

It's inspired by the most common mineral here in my region (charcoal, "carbón" in Spanish).

Feel free to give me your first impressions and feedback.

It is only ISO-ES layout. My thought is collect your ideas, find a collaborator and launch an IC if I see enough interest among the Spanish community.

The keyset will be Cherry profile PBT and dye sub, this in order to keep price as affordable as possible.

Please, treat this like a Pre-IC work  :thumb:

______
Quiero presentaros el keyset Pre-IC CARBÓN VIBES.

Está inspirado en el carbón, mineral más común aquí en mi región (Asturias).

Sentiros libres de darme vuestras primeras impresiones y feedback.

Por el momento solo es para layout ISO-ES. Tengo en mente recopilar vuestras ideas, (posiblemente) encontrar un colaborador y lanzar un IC si veo suficiente interés entre la comunidad española.

El keyset será PBT perfil Cherry y dye sub, esto último para intentar mantener el precio final asequible.

Por favor, ved esto como un Pre-IC :thumb:

______
PASOS A SEGUIR (listado revisable con vuestra ayuda):
1) Recabar vuestras ideas e impresiones iniciales.
2) Hacer un Google Form como Pre-IC para seguir recabando información e ideas. ¿Algún colaborador?
3) Ir definiendo kitting final, referencias de colores finales y mejorar un poco el render.
4) Buscar fabricante y vendor. Quiero ponerme en contacto con MW y Hammerworks. Pienso en Eloquent Clicks como vendor.
5) Lanzar IC con suficiente información y una buena base.
6) REZAR Y ESPERAR

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 15/6/2022)
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 03:34:37 »
I've added a link to the MW Invasion Interest Check, as the author might add ES/PT or South if there is demand. Please vote on the IC Form if interested!

Offline 1pctipaday

• The show must go on
Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 15/6/2022)
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 04:04:20 »
I've added a link to the MW Invasion Interest Check, as the author might add ES/PT or South if there is demand. Please vote on the IC Form if interested!

Thanks! Definitely love this keyset, we have to insist a loooot to have the possibility on counting an ISO-ES kit.

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 22/6/2022)
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 03:23:59 »
Just added a link to XDA Linear A keycaps in the list of unusual keycaps. Based on the Cretan language, as the description says, there is no wrong way to place these keycaps  :D

Offline salgiza

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 23 June 2022, 09:44:39 »
For those interested the extras for KAT Cyberspace (including a South kit) are now available: http://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/kat-cyberspace-south_2434/

They will probably sell fast, though!

Offline ale210

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 15 July 2022, 01:03:43 »
For those interested the extras for KAT Cyberspace (including a South kit) are now available: http://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/kat-cyberspace-south_2434/

They will probably sell fast, though!

Have you checked this?
https://twitter.com/Mario_kbd/status/1547192097140342785?t=CkWgsIOV_dFoe-SwNlgo-g&s=19

Offline salgiza

Offline Nascent

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 03:29:25 »
According to Zambumon MT3 Serika is coming back. R0 and R5 included in base kit and an international kit with full ISO-ES compatibility. Great news! ;D

Offline salgiza

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 03:55:33 »
According to Zambumon MT3 Serika is coming back. R0 and R5 included in base kit and an international kit with full ISO-ES compatibility. Great news! ;D

Wow, that would be a great looking set! I've just joined the Discord server, but please let me know if you hear about their actual release before I update the list.

Mmmm... maybe I should start saving some money for this set... 

Offline Nascent

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 03:45:13 »

Wow, that would be a great looking set! I've just joined the Discord server, but please let me know if you hear about their actual release before I update the list.

Mmmm... maybe I should start saving some money for this set...

He said in Discord the pre-order would start today (21/07), and after the pre-order the set will be in stock. I love the design of the set and I also want to try the MT3 profile, so... thinner wallet it is for me!

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 21/7/2022)
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 13:47:51 »
I just added a link to the MT3 Serika preorder! With support for ES, PT and BR layouts!

https://drop.com/buy/drop-zambumon-mt3-serika-custom-keycap-set

Thanks to Nascent for the tip! (My wallet is a bit worried, though)

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 22/7/2022)
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 22 July 2022, 05:54:30 »
I just added an ISO-ES AliExpress set (in black and white) with transparent labels, for LED lighting. They are €13, so I'm going to guess that the quality is not going to be great. But then, they are only €13...

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003309060137.html

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 10:37:52 »
I just added a link to the MT3 Serika preorder! With support for ES, PT and BR layouts!

https://drop.com/buy/drop-zambumon-mt3-serika-custom-keycap-set

Thanks to Nascent for the tip! (My wallet is a bit worried, though)

You ought to be a bit more specific that mention. Serika R2's "international" kit supports es-ES and pt-BR, not es-LA and pt-PT.

(I'm biting my tongue to not say anything of the lack of tertiary legends)

Offline salgiza

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 11:57:06 »
You ought to be a bit more specific that mention. Serika R2's "international" kit supports es-ES and pt-BR, not es-LA and pt-PT.

(I'm biting my tongue to not say anything of the lack of tertiary legends)

Good catch, although that was my mistake when reading the keyset description. I read Brazilian (new line) Portuguese, and I thought it supported both pt-PT and pt-BR layouts, when it really said "Brazilian Portuguese" (arg). For the sake of simplicity I'm using ES/PT/IT/BR/LA when referring to the different ISO layouts (instead of the full ISO code).

That being said: I decided to only mention es-ES, pt-PT, and it-IT in the title of the thread, because at the beginning I wasn't sure that I had also the time to keep track of LA and BR keysets. I'll see if I can dedicate some time to it this summer,  tag all the keysets in the list with LA/BR, specifying which ones support those layouts, and mention whether a set supports BR and LA from now on.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2022, 12:29:10 by salgiza »

Offline Udyrstruidor

• uga uga
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 25 July 2022, 07:58:04 »
Drop + MiTo GMK Laser suppports pt-BR on ISO kit
https://drop.com/buy/drop-mito-gmk-laser-custom-keycap-set
Poseidon60 | GrayStudio Space65 R1 | Ikki68 Aurora | CannonKeys Bakeneko60 | Gok 7V | NotFromSam Samice | CableCarDesigns Prophet | Geonworks Frog TKL | FancyAlice | Aeboards Praxis R2 | HHKB Pro BT | Geonworks F2-84 | UTD 360C | Elongate | Realforce 87u | GrayStudio Space65 R3 | TGR Jane v2 ME | TGR x Singa Unikorn R2.2 | Singa Kohaku65 R1 | Cherry G80-1824HBU | Matrix 8xv 3.0 | CableCarDesigns Prophet | Daji Seis Cero

Offline Stevens

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 02:40:07 »
I just added an ISO-ES AliExpress set (in black and white) with transparent labels, for LED lighting. They are €13, so I'm going to guess that the quality is not going to be great. But then, they are only €13...

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003309060137.html

I've these keycaps and 0 problems. Bought around March - April.

Offline salgiza

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 06:27:02 »

Thanks! I’m currently away on holidays, but when I come back in a couple of weeks I’ll update the list specifying which kits support BR/LA, and I’ll add this one to the list!

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 21:52:11 »

With, it must be said, serious kitting errors (even after taking into account the kitter's predilection for undue omission of tertiary legends and the AltGr keycap). In particular, R1 '" is nowhere to be seen and R1 [{ should be replaced with R3 ]}.

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 8/8/2022)
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 08 August 2022, 03:37:49 »
List updated with Drop + MiTo GMK Laser (BR), mentioning that it has kitting errors, and the MT3 Serika set now correctly mentions that it supports BR and not PT.

There are still a few sets in the list that don't mention the exact supported layouts because they don't detailed them in their descriptions and I haven't had the time to compare the keys included with the different ES/PT/IT/BR/LA layouts. One of this days I'll get to it, I promise!  :-[

Offline salgiza

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 03:43:39 »

Now gets the de IC status, vote!

https://twitter.com/Mario_kbd/status/1559458083637760001

Voted! And let's hope that we reach the MOQ. An ISO-ES GMK set would be quite something.

Seeing the keys in the set, I have a semi-related question for all ISO-ES users in this thread: is there anyone here that uses the ¬ symbol? (Tertiary symbol in the "6" key)
It's a symbol that I've never seen used, I don't even know what's its purpose (and I can't find any info in Google), and some manufacturers (e.g., Apple, Logitech in some keyboards) don't even include it any more.

It's just that I feel that it's something that probably should be removed from ISO-ES (& South) kits, but I'm curious as to if any of you use it/knows what is it for?

(And I'll leave the discussion about the ~ tertiary for another day...)

P.S. For IT/PT/LA/BR users: are there any other tertiary symbols that you think that are useless/reminders from the past?

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 12:42:00 »
P.S. For IT/PT/LA/BR users: are there any other tertiary symbols that you think that are useless/reminders from the past?

290321-0

In Italian, the secondary characters that I have highlighted in red are now useless.
(I'm saying this here just to share it, sorry if it's not perfectly relevant to the question ;))

Offline salgiza

Re: Spanish, Portuguese & Italian (South) keycaps (links updated: 18/8/2022)
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 03:34:51 »
@ylothar I find these things quite interesting, even if I'm not sure in this case IT sets should remove any of those characters or not.

Also, one thing that amazes and frustrates me equally, is how most keyboard layouts were created locally for each country, totally ignoring what other countries where doing. I mean: there's not a single key/symbol in the IT layout (except maybe for the one on top of the ù) that is not also available in the ES layout. And yet, symbols are located in different places, just because  :confused:
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 August 2022, 03:38:17 by salgiza »

Offline cbz001

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 00:29:27 »
Countries layout were designed by linguistic experts back in the days considering the occurrence of each symbol in standard language corpus... I'm italian and I have used for some years an ES layout for work: it make no sense and it's very confusing. I dream about a simple WoB GMK South set which would fix all our issues, once for all.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 02:19:30 »
@salgiza

Is this the right spanish layout?

290419-0

Offline salgiza

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 02:23:13 »
Countries layout were designed by linguistic experts back in the days considering the occurrence of each symbol in standard language corpus... I'm italian and I have used for some years an ES layout for work: it make no sense and it's very confusing. I dream about a simple WoB GMK South set which would fix all our issues, once for all.

Hehehe, and I would be confused if I used an IT keyboard. I understand that the layouts were not designed at random; but if you look at things like {}, or #, for example, they are just in different places. I mean, I don't think that a common IT & ES layout would make sense, because, just as a single example, why would you waste space in an IT keyboard with an Ñ key when probably there is a symbol you use more frequently. But heck, they should have thought of future keyboard machine enthusiasts, and made it easier for us by sharing more keys!  :D

Also: it's quite funny that, in the layouts, you can see the arguments between different people that had different ideas. For the ES layout, whoever designed it thought that typing "´"+ a vocal to get áéíóú or `+ vocal for àèìòù, was easier than having a specific key for each symbol. Obviously, whoever designed the Italian layout disagreed!

Note that I'm not implying that we should unify layouts, or anything similar (I think they are currently too ingrained in our own specific cultures). But I do find the history of keyboard layouts very interesting, and I would love to find the source (who/when/why) of each one.

P.S. About the WoB GMK set: if there is interest in an IT version, you might want to ask the author of the twitter link that @ale210 shared. I don't know what would be the cost difference of doing a South kit vs an ES set, but if it's not prohibitive it hopefully should make it easier to achieve a higher MOQ, and I would surely vote for it.

Offline salgiza

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 05:19:36 »
@salgiza

Is this the right spanish layout?

(Attachment Link)

Yep! Although, as mentioned, the ¬ symbol next to the 6 tends to be omitted nowadays. The knowledge of its use lost to the sands of time, or something like that  ;D

The ~ next to the four is not always present in keyboards, either, as you would get a ¢ in macOS instead. Added fact: I'm old enough to remember that, when I started using Unix/Linux, many years ago, the ~ symbol was not printed next to the 4 in any of the keyboards that I used at the university or at home (and that was something that I had to memorize). I don't know why it became popular to include it in Windows keyboards after that (Linux, the fact that many sites used the ~ in their urls in the early 00s?), but it seems to be losing its status again.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 02:42:32 »
Note that I'm not implying that we should unify layouts, or anything similar (I think they are currently too ingrained in our own specific cultures). But I do find the history of keyboard layouts very interesting, and I would love to find the source (who/when/why) of each one.

I totally agree, it would be really interesting!

290493-0

(to make the small - and not so small - differences even more evident)

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 02:53:43 »
The ~ next to the four is not always present in keyboards, either, as you would get a ¢ in macOS instead. Added fact: I'm old enough to remember that, when I started using Unix/Linux, many years ago, the ~ symbol was not printed next to the 4 in any of the keyboards that I used at the university or at home (and that was something that I had to memorize). I don't know why it became popular to include it in Windows keyboards after that (Linux, the fact that many sites used the ~ in their urls in the early 00s?), but it seems to be losing its status again.

The use of the "~" symbol in URLs was caused by extensive use of the Apache web server and the UserDir directive (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_userdir.html).

In turn, this setting is a consequence of the fact that on Unix/Linux systems the symbol "~" indicates the user's home.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 08:17:31 »
Seeing the keys in the set, I have a semi-related question for all ISO-ES users in this thread: is there anyone here that uses the ¬ symbol? (Tertiary symbol in the "6" key)
It's a symbol that I've never seen used, I don't even know what's its purpose (and I can't find any info in Google), and some manufacturers (e.g., Apple, Logitech in some keyboards) don't even include it any more.

It's just that I feel that it's something that probably should be removed from ISO-ES (& South) kits, but I'm curious as to if any of you use it/knows what is it for?

It's the logical negation sign, used heavily in certain programming language used mainly on mainframes. You'll find it in several national layouts, all derived from its usage in said context.

And no, if the national layout, as it's been codified has it, then it has to be printed on the keycap. We can later discuss whether the national layout itself needs to be updated (spoiler: it totally has to).

(And I'll leave the discussion about the ~ tertiary for another day...)

Be careful. Unix users might see that comment.

NONE, by definition. Okay, I'll make an exception for the Cruzeiro sign on the Portuguese (Brazil) keyboard. ;D