Author Topic: Cleaning Electrical Contacts  (Read 7239 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Cleaning Electrical Contacts
« on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 19:46:56 »
I use DeOxit D5 and DeOxit Gold for cleaning and lubricating contacts and switches on old stereo gear and they are fantastic products.

Is there any reason not to use it for cleaning and sprucing up the contacts on computer gear as well?

Thinking specifically about places like cards and slots in motherboards, ribbon cables, etc.

And I would really welcome scientific observations by chemists and engineers in preference to guesswork (which I am quite capable of myself!).

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Cleaning Electrical Contacts
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 21:22:27 »
They sell specific circuit board cleaners with no lubricant.

deoxit depending on the version has other stuff that may leave residue.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 11:09:06 »
I sourced some relevant material for anyone that wants to elaborate. Is DeoxIT® DN5 Aggressive to Plastic?

Though wading through the website to find concrete data (like datasheets) is a bit of a pita.  Does it smell better than WD-40?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 06:48:02 »
I sourced some relevant material for anyone that wants to elaborate. Is DeoxIT® DN5 Aggressive to Plastic?

Though wading through the website to find concrete data (like datasheets) is a bit of a pita.  Does it smell better than WD-40?

WD-40 smells the best. Petrol smells even better sniff sniff.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 07:42:48 »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 12:34:06 »
From the datasheet I linked...

DeoxIT D Series:
Petroleum Naptha 40-70% (dangerous if inhaled)
Difluorethane: 10-30% (intoxicant/dangerous if inhaled)
DEOXIT® D-SERIES, D100L: 3-7%

From this datasheet (MSDS link)

WD-40 Multi-Use:
Aliphatic Hyrdocarbon: 50-70% (dangerous if inhaled)
Petroleum Based Oil: 30-35% (intoxicant/dangerous if inhaled)
Carbon Dioxide: 2-3%

I feel that I asked a valid question.  I try to keep my playful side in off topic where it should be.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 12:41:44 »

DeoxIT D Series:

WD-40 Multi-Use:

I feel that I asked a valid question.  I try to keep my playful side in off topic where it should be.

Tp4 prefers the smell of wood glue..  Never sniff it intentionally,  But whenever gotta do some wood gluing,  Much enjoy.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 12:47:00 »

DeoxIT D Series:

WD-40 Multi-Use:

Tp4 prefers the smell of wood glue..  Never sniff it intentionally,  But whenever gotta do some wood gluing,  Much enjoy.

Stop.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 20:58:52 »

DeoxIT D Series:

WD-40 Multi-Use:

What about white board markers?

Going further off topic though, sorry.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 21:09:36 »

DeoxIT D Series:

WD-40 Multi-Use:

Coming from two people that would definitely read the man pages.. tsk tsk..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 21:01:54 »

DeoxIT D Series:

WD-40 Multi-Use:

Are you a QNX user?

QNX is a Unix-like operating system, although not Posix-compliant IIRC (might have changed since I last used it).

It has a task query command: tsk

One of the options is 'tsk', although this option is not described in the documentation.

The command "tsk tsk" would produce the output "Have I been a bad computer?"

Perhaps they have changed it and removed that option and/or message over the years.  Companies don't have much sense of humour for things like that any more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 21:56:03 »

DeoxIT D Series:

WD-40 Multi-Use:

Are you a QNX user?

QNX is a Unix-like operating system, although not Posix-compliant IIRC (might have changed since I last used it).

It has a task query command: tsk

One of the options is 'tsk', although this option is not described in the documentation.

The command "tsk tsk" would produce the output "Have I been a bad computer?"

Perhaps they have changed it and removed that option and/or message over the years.  Companies don't have much sense of humour for things like that any more.

Damn it rowdy!  Why do you have to come along and mention QNX?! 

I just started a downward spiral of Debain ISO live-builds with the intention of eventually poking at busybox and you have to mention QNX.. 

First I learned of Danger OS.. now this.  Damnit.. :-[

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 06:30:23 »
Thanks, guys, for all the help regarding electrical contacts.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 20:58:07 »
Thanks, guys, for all the help regarding electrical contacts.

Sincerest apologies - most of this should have gone into "off topic" a while ago.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 21:56:19 »
No worries. I was ****posting my own thread when I recommended Love Liza

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 10:10:31 »
As a non-professional upstart I use 99% isopropyl alcohol and something that leaves few particulates behind like basic coffee filters.

I guess oils could help alleviate static buildup during the less humid months, though I usually avoid anything that accelerates dust & hair buildup.

Offline DeTommie

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 03:33:17 »
As a non-professional upstart I use 99% isopropyl alcohol and something that leaves few particulates behind like basic coffee filters.

I guess oils could help alleviate static buildup during the less humid months, though I usually avoid anything that accelerates dust & hair buildup.

Nice comeback, csmertx  :thumb:

Offline quadcube

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 10:08:24 »

I would prefer 99% ethanol, had much better experiences with them compared with IPA... for example when using IPA for cleaning flux, it would leave behind a messy sticky residue

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 12:22:07 »

I would prefer 99% ethanol, had much better experiences with them compared with IPA... for example when using IPA for cleaning flux, it would leave behind a messy sticky residue

India Pale Ale for cleaning flux?!  Joking, I'd be a bit worried about a sticky residue from grain alcohol but honestly whatever gets the job done right?  My IPA evaporates for CPU/GPU clean-up jobs fast enough for to get the job done in a timely manner.  Coffee filter powers through even extra gummy thermal pastes like Tuniq TX-4.  Also used IPA to clean flux with aid from a used toothbrush and a coffee filter.  Even used tacky old flux--cleaned up well enough for quick solder bodges so idk.