Author Topic: Vintage black vs retooled black?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Error213

Vintage black vs retooled black?
« on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 21:25:57 »
What’s the difference? Is one better than the other?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Vintage black vs retooled black?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 21:36:14 »
Vintage blacks are smoother but it also depends on the batch. With retooled only the first batches of retooled blacks are smooth while the later ones are scratchy.

But for a short answer good vintage blacks are smoother then retooled blacks.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 21:58:01 »
Yeah good vintage black > good retooled black

But everyone knows vintage brown and retool brown > cherry black  :blank:
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline yui_

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 08:53:56 »
my opinion is that, for the average switch, retooled blacks are probably a better idea than vintage blacks. there's just too much variance in vintage blacks...
however, if you're happy putting in the effort getting good vintage blacks, i strongly believe that they are the best switches you can get. i have a 1988 g80-1000 and the switches, completely unlubed, have practically 0 scratch. but this isnt the norm in my experience - i've had 3 other boards of vintage blacks (2 wyse, 1 cherry) and none have come close.

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 14:45:48 »
my opinion is that, for the average switch, retooled blacks are probably a better idea than vintage blacks. there's just too much variance in vintage blacks...
however, if you're happy putting in the effort getting good vintage blacks, i strongly believe that they are the best switches you can get. i have a 1988 g80-1000 and the switches, completely unlubed, have practically 0 scratch. but this isnt the norm in my experience - i've had 3 other boards of vintage blacks (2 wyse, 1 cherry) and none have come close.

Which Cherry board and from what year did you have poor feeling vint blacks from?

Offline ThePanduuh

• Discord @ThePanduuh#0001
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 17:20:22 »
Vintage blacks are an expensive gamble, especially in this day and age. Unless you're buying from a reputable harvester, which requires some effort on your end finding people who know their stuff and not looking for a quick buck, they're almost never worth it. The name alone brings up the price a lot, and the pool of "good" switches is getting smaller as more people are buying these up to harvest them (or resell them). Like others have said, the batch is something to look out for if you're looking at NOS (new old stock) versions, and the used versions will all vary and likely require Cherry picking (lol) because they're likely not worn in evenly. Retools are a gamble as well, but at least they're $0.35ea (Novelkeys price) and you're getting 5 pin switches (vs most vints which are 3 pin) so you don't have to play with longer key alignment as much. The term "retools" refers to a specific time in which the tooling for MX Blacks was remade, and was fresh. So they were making really good switches for really cheap. Now retools just really refers to non-vintage mx blacks (which isn't necessarily a good thing imo). There is this new cherry switch as well, the Hyperglide, which is supposed to be very smooth Cherry MX Blacks (among other colors). They are also pretty expensive per switch.

There is something about that cherry sound and feel that is just too good, imo putting retools into a board for a month or so and then lubing, filming, and spring swapping is all you'll need to do to get some really nice feeling switches.
Bias BE | Polaris | Frog | Matrix 8xv2.0 Add | Iron165 SE | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | Cypher

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 18:19:13 »
Yes Panduuh. It really helps if you get a good batch. I think the nice sound is from the Top housing.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Error213

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:14:16 »
Vintage blacks are an expensive gamble, especially in this day and age. Unless you're buying from a reputable harvester, which requires some effort on your end finding people who know their stuff and not looking for a quick buck, they're almost never worth it. The name alone brings up the price a lot, and the pool of "good" switches is getting smaller as more people are buying these up to harvest them (or resell them). Like others have said, the batch is something to look out for if you're looking at NOS (new old stock) versions, and the used versions will all vary and likely require Cherry picking (lol) because they're likely not worn in evenly. Retools are a gamble as well, but at least they're $0.35ea (Novelkeys price) and you're getting 5 pin switches (vs most vints which are 3 pin) so you don't have to play with longer key alignment as much. The term "retools" refers to a specific time in which the tooling for MX Blacks was remade, and was fresh. So they were making really good switches for really cheap. Now retools just really refers to non-vintage mx blacks (which isn't necessarily a good thing imo). There is this new cherry switch as well, the Hyperglide, which is supposed to be very smooth Cherry MX Blacks (among other colors). They are also pretty expensive per switch.

There is something about that cherry sound and feel that is just too good, imo putting retools into a board for a month or so and then lubing, filming, and spring swapping is all you'll need to do to get some really nice feeling switches.
can I get a link to a trusted person for these?

Offline hpetrovski

• Osum
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 19:02:07 »
I've seen people recommend Vintkeys for vintage blacks, but you're honestly better off searching for 80s-90s boards on local listings. If you're gonna go that route, make sure to salvage them in a way that you separate the most used switches (home row, alphas etc.) from the others. If you otherwise want to find just one board and re-solder all the switches onto an existing one, I'd say don't bother and get yourself some retools and use them unlubed and rotate them in a hotswap board for like at least 3 months. Lubing them after that would result in a much more consistent board for a fraction of the effort and possibly the cost.