Author Topic: [GB] Satisfaction 75% - GB Ended, Fulfillment Early November  (Read 251376 times)

Offline upas

Re: [GB] Satisfaction 75% - Knob and OLED Screen, Opens May 6th, 6PM EDT
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 06:22:02 »
2 questions @upas. 1) What is a FR4 plate? 2) For the default included brass plate, will there be a different color option?

FR4 is a fiberglass material typically used for PCBs. It has a good flex to it - it's one of my favorite plate materials.
For the brass plate, it's just sandblasted brass colored. No other options.

Surprised that the material around the LCD isn't going to be milled to raise it even a few mm, but the more disappointing thing is the lack of ISO.

I think that's me out, thanks though.

I think the PCB supports ISO but not the switch plate. Upas did mention that he will release the plate file.

The PCB does support ISO and I am releasing the plate files once the GB closes. This information was posted in the first post of the GB thread.

Offline yohannes

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 08:26:11 »
@upas, can you show rendered pictures of the diff between white and blue OLED? Can. You consider bundling price for those who will be getting all 3 knobs (pearl / regular)?

Offline upas

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 08:51:20 »
@upas, can you show rendered pictures of the diff between white and blue OLED? Can. You consider bundling price for those who will be getting all 3 knobs (pearl / regular)?

I'll take photos of the blue and white OLEDs tonight. Not renders :)

No bundling prices - I'm not making a lot of profit on the knobs already, so I don't think I could offer a discount and also adequately handle risk.

Offline yohannes

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 09:21:06 »
Noted. Looking forward to those white and blue OLEDs. Thanks.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 09:27:35 »
This will be my first GB and I'm going all in!! :cool:
1 Keyboard $399 or $420 (Deep Ocean Blue or Cloud White)
3 Pearloid Knob $13 each $39 (Silver, Gold, Black)
2 Extra Default Knob  $7 each $14 (Gold & Black)
Extra OLED   - $4 (White)
RAMA Knob - $80

Offline KeyCap75

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 12:12:05 »
OMG...this is so nice  ;D
6pm EDT will be midnight here in Europe (Vienna)...never the less, I'll be in for one...just have to decide which colour  :cool:

Offline R0N1N

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 12:42:56 »
Upas, which Colour is the one in the wavez render, which knob as well?

Love your work.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:15:22 »
Upas, which Colour is the one in the wavez render, which knob as well?

Love your work.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The wavez render has a dark grey case. The knob is a planned custom knob that did not work out.
Perhaps in the future i can offer these knobs.

In general, I want to remind everyone of the color disclaimer. These are not plastic keycaps. Anodizing/e-white coating aluminum is not an exact process, the factory only guarantees that they will get close to the provided reference colors. I know a lot of you are asking for precise color codes, but it's best not to expect any precise matching.

There will be a Pirate Black, Cloud White, Deep Ocean blue, and Stormy Grey. They will be close to the reference Pantone/RAL, but they may not match exactly.

This is also why I am not posting Pantone/RAL for white/black. The white will be similar to the prototype which Jae built. I do not have the RAL/Pantone code for it, but hopefully the photos will suffice.

I will be instructing the factory to prioritize matching top/bottom case over matching a pantone. Likewise, my focus during QC will be ensuring that the top/bottom cases match, not that the delivered colors match a reference color precisely.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:19:37 by upas »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:34:02 »
I will be instructing the factory to prioritize matching top/bottom case over matching a pantone. Likewise, my focus during QC will be ensuring that the top/bottom cases match, not that the delivered colors match a reference color precisely.

I'm glad you're taking this approach. Would prefer to have my keyboard look coherent than match a proto/render exactly.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:01:34 »
Refreshing on my phone like mad right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Starston3

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:02:12 »

It's next Monday

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:03:06 »

It's next Monday
I'm an idiot. Thanks, mate.

Offline gt1989

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:10:17 »
Really happy that there is going to be a 200 slot limit, was slightly worried during the IC when it was looking closer to 50 slots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline rondg

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:16:40 »
Is it possible to order extra pcb/plate/knob/lcd even if the 200-slot for the keyboard is all filled up?

Offline upas

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:45:20 »
Is it possible to order extra pcb/plate/knob/lcd even if the 200-slot for the keyboard is all filled up?

Yes, it should be possible.

Offline upas

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:47:06 »
Here are some knob height comparisons:

Default knob:

Pearloid knob:

RAMA knob (3d print basic mockup of geometry):

The RAMA knob sit approx. 1 to 2mm lower than the Default knob. The pearloid knob sits the highest.
We are still refining the specific geometries for the RAMA knob. We may have it sit even lower.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:52:48 by upas »

Offline stevevu2816

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 23:05:43 »
hi UPAS, is the pcb hot swap or solderable, I have never soldered before, thanks

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 23:41:54 »

The RAMA knob sit approx. 1 to 2mm lower than the Default knob. The pearloid knob sits the highest.

Is the barrel of the standard and perloid nob the same? This image shows a big difference in the height, but appears to be due to how its mounted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 23:56:06 »
hi UPAS, is the pcb hot swap or solderable, I have never soldered before, thanks

The PCB is solderable, not hotswap. Even if you have never soldered before, you shouldn't be afraid to solder a keyboard :)

Shameless plug, I sell a kit on my website cannonkeys.com called the Practice60. It's fairly inexpensive and when you're done putting it together, you have a 60% keyboard. It's a great way to practice soldering before doing it on a more expensive custom!

Is the barrel of the standard and perloid nob the same? This image shows a big difference in the height, but appears to be due to how its mounted.
Show Image

The barrel on the pearloid knob is not as deep as the standard. The difference in height is due to the mounting, but that still plays into where it ultimately sits.

As a matter of fact, the pearloid knob is 17mm tall, and the standard is 19mm tall, but because of the short barrel, the 17mm knob sits higher.

Offline kitty

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 00:03:40 »
We are still refining the specific geometries for the RAMA knob. We may have it sit even lower.

i think it'd look nice sitting a bit lower and could pair nicely with lower-profile keycaps

Offline gordonderp

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 00:39:27 »
What type of threading is the knob on? I have a couple guitar knobs and I'm wondering if they can fit.

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 01:00:22 »
The Rama knob is seeming more and more interesting. Looking forward to seeing more development. Thanks for sharing the process, Upas.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 01:05:15 »
I love a good knob tbh

Seriously though, had the pleasure of seeing Jae's at the UK meetup. Very impressed. Love the tactile knob. Screen is uber cool. :-*

Offline goddream

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 02:32:45 »
Will we be able to install millmax sockets/holtites to make it hotswappable? Any idea what sizes we can use?  :p
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:27:13 »
Will we be able to install millmax sockets/holtites to make it hotswappable? Any idea what sizes we can use?  :p

Just about every custom or mass-produced board I've worked with has had a slightly different way of installing either holtites or millmax sockets, due to size of the pcb holes. I think this will be no different. There isn't much choice aside from either 0705 or 0305 millmax sockets, or 8134 holtites, since those are the only ones that fit all switch pins.

Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline add1ct3dd

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:50:20 »
2 questions @upas. 1) What is a FR4 plate? 2) For the default included brass plate, will there be a different color option?

FR4 is a fiberglass material typically used for PCBs. It has a good flex to it - it's one of my favorite plate materials.

Surprised that the material around the LCD isn't going to be milled to raise it even a few mm, but the more disappointing thing is the lack of ISO.

I think the PCB supports ISO but not the switch plate. Upas did mention that he will release the plate file.

The PCB does support ISO and I am releasing the plate files once the GB closes. This information was posted in the first post of the GB thread.

Yeah I have nowhere to get the plate cut though :'( sadface

Offline rondg

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 05:08:20 »

Yeah I have nowhere to get the plate cut though :'( sadface

laserboost ships internationally

Offline stevevu2816

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 09:19:50 »

The PCB is solderable, not hotswap. Even if you have never soldered before, you shouldn't be afraid to solder a keyboard :)

Shameless plug, I sell a kit on my website cannonkeys.com called the Practice60. It's fairly inexpensive and when you're done putting it together, you have a 60% keyboard. It's a great way to practice soldering before doing it on a more expensive custom!

Show Image

The barrel on the pearloid knob is not as deep as the standard. The difference in height is due to the mounting, but that still plays into where it ultimately sits.

As a matter of fact, the pearloid knob is 17mm tall, and the standard is 19mm tall, but because of the short barrel, the 17mm knob sits higher.
thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 09:36:36 »
Upas, would you be willing to share the key measurements for the knobs?  I'm wondering if these are things we might be able to source ourselves or perhaps even get made from wood or other materials.

Offline upas

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 09:58:20 »

Just about every custom or mass-produced board I've worked with has had a slightly different way of installing either holtites or millmax sockets, due to size of the pcb holes. I think this will be no different. There isn't much choice aside from either 0705 or 0305 millmax sockets, or 8134 holtites, since those are the only ones that fit all switch pins.

0705 or 0305 millmax sockets will work. Not sure about the holtites.

What type of threading is the knob on? I have a couple guitar knobs and I'm wondering if they can fit.

Upas, would you be willing to share the key measurements for the knobs?  I'm wondering if these are things we might be able to source ourselves or perhaps even get made from wood or other materials.

This is the encoder: ALPS Electric EC11E18244A5
Based on that information, you should be able to make a knob to your liking, or see if a certain knob fits :)

I do plan on offering custom knobs in different colors in the future.

Offline jaang

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:02:19 »
Looking awesome, gonna try to get the cloud white if possible!

Offline poodude

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 22:59:44 »
I personally think it looks cleaner if the knob was around flush with the cherry caps like in the renders. It's away from the other keys to where it doesn't need to sit above to easily turn it. I don't have huge meaty fingers though. +1 to meat finger people.  :D

Offline sadmachine

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 03:52:24 »

Oh yes, even lower would be even better.

Offline noktrnlco

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 10:13:05 »
Been waiting for this! In for the win!

Offline upas

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 19:54:32 »
Hey guys,

A quick update - the RAMA knob quote has arrived. Each knob will be $56, and includes a torx driver and screw for mounting.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 20:12:19 »
Hey guys,

A quick update - the RAMA knob quote has arrived. Each knob will be $56, and includes a torx driver and screw for mounting.

That’s a pretty good price!

I still haven’t decided what color to get, but I really look forward to this board.

Offline upas

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:13:13 »
Hello everyone,

The product page is now live on CannonKeys, stock will be released at exactly 6PM EDT on Monday.
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/satisfaction-75

After purchasing, you will receive an email with a link to a google form to select your options.

Extras for the S75 will be listed at 5PM EDT so that you can add them to your cart.

If you place separate orders for extras and the Satisfaction75, I will hold on to your extra shipping costs and refund the difference AFTER the group buy has shipped (many months from now).
To avoid this situation, If you want to buy right at 6PM, and you plan on purchasing extras, I suggest adding the extras you want to your cart ahead of time, and purchasing the Satisfaction75 itself when it goes live.

There is plenty of stock of extras, so having them in your cart should not slow down the purchasing process.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:17:36 by upas »

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:35:30 »
Hello everyone,

The product page is now live on CannonKeys, stock will be released at exactly 6PM EDT on Monday.

After purchasing, you will receive an email with a link to a google form to select your options.

Extras for the S75 will be listed at 5PM EDT so that you can add them to your cart.

If you place separate orders for extras and the Satisfaction75, I will hold on to your extra shipping costs and refund the difference AFTER the group buy has shipped (many months from now).
To avoid this situation, If you want to buy right at 6PM, and you plan on purchasing extras, I suggest adding the extras you want to your cart ahead of time, and purchasing the Satisfaction75 itself when it goes live.

There is plenty of stock of extras, so having them in your cart should not slow down the purchasing process.

Just to clarify, can you essentially "reserve" any extras you want by simply placing them in your cart?

Offline upas

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:40:58 »
Hello everyone,

Just to clarify, can you essentially "reserve" any extras you want by simply placing them in your cart?

That's right. Since I'll be releasing the extras 1 hour ahead of time, you can place them in your cart and do a combined checkout for your keyboard and extras.

Offline goddream

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 23:38:01 »
I was thinking about getting the White with the GMK Mizu set, but the more I think about the Brass/gold rama knob the more I worry they won't match.
Anyone got cool ideas on combos that match with the rama knob? Starting to think about black...
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 00:48:47 »
I was thinking about getting the White with the GMK Mizu set, but the more I think about the Brass/gold rama knob the more I worry they won't match.
Anyone got cool ideas on combos that match with the rama knob? Starting to think about black...
Darker colors are generally safer and match with more keysets. Gold in particular is hard to find stuff to match, and if thats your worry I'd definitely go Blue or Black.

Offline goddream

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 00:56:56 »
Darker colors are generally safer and match with more keysets. Gold in particular is hard to find stuff to match, and if thats your worry I'd definitely go Blue or Black.

I was looking at grabbing some aftermarket GMK Phantoms for those beautiful gold accents. Flip flopping on black or white base but actually leaning towards white

Offline Clo_0lD

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 05:07:10 »
I know that the keyboard is limited to a specific amount of units, but will the extras (PCB, knobs, screens, etc.) be available for the duration of the group buy or do they also have a limit? I'll be picking up a the keyboard for sure on Monday, but I'd rather wait on the extras until I get more money if possible.

Offline upas

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 13:04:26 »
I know that the keyboard is limited to a specific amount of units, but will the extras (PCB, knobs, screens, etc.) be available for the duration of the group buy or do they also have a limit? I'll be picking up a the keyboard for sure on Monday, but I'd rather wait on the extras until I get more money if possible.

The extras will be available until the group buy closes. I plan on closing the buy 2 weeks after opening it.

Offline ppnp253

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 19:30:05 »

I was looking at grabbing some aftermarket GMK Phantoms for those beautiful gold accents. Flip flopping on black or white base but actually leaning towards white
I'm also on the fence for blue or white. The blue would pair nicely with GMK Metropolis and DSA Scientific, but that GMK Mizu combo just looks so nice.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 00:35:32 »

I'll take photos of the blue and white OLEDs tonight. Not renders :)

No bundling prices - I'm not making a lot of profit on the knobs already, so I don't think I could offer a discount and also adequately handle risk.

@yohannes  In case you want them all, you can find the knobs on the china market, almost everywhere. These are going for like $5-9 for 3 knobs and comes with different pearl color so you just need to buy the right measure. In case you need just one, buying it in the GB makes sense, otherwise if you want them all, you might save $30 and just pay 2-3 bucks for each knob. 

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 09:12:14 »
Where can we find knobs that look like the smooth ones in the renders? Or any alternate knobs too, would be cool. Is there a diameter or mounting type to search for?

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 11:18:48 »
I just want to check ahead of time, but will there be an order limit like one keyboard per person or will multiple board purchases require separate invoices?

Offline upas

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 12:56:16 »
Where can we find knobs that look like the smooth ones in the renders? Or any alternate knobs too, would be cool. Is there a diameter or mounting type to search for?

I posted the exact part number above.

I just want to check ahead of time, but will there be an order limit like one keyboard per person or will multiple board purchases require separate invoices?

There is a 1 board per order limit. If you want to purchase multiple, you can, but you will have to make multiple purchases.

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 13:20:00 »

There is a 1 board per order limit. If you want to purchase multiple, you can, but you will have to make multiple purchases.
Cool. And is there any possibility of combining shipping or have you already worked out the logistics for shipping boards individually?