Author Topic: [GB] SA Oblivion - CONCLUDED  (Read 281122 times)

Offline merintil

Re: [IC] SA Oblivion (Massdrop Q3 2017, Updated 14.03.2017)
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 17:53:23 »
GMK Oblivion would be pretty sweet!

Would you be considering any custom colors? I am assuming the colors on keyboard-layout-editor are accurate for GMK, and some of the modifier colors pop out a little bit more than the renders you currently have.

With GMK Penumbra, the modifiers definitely pop out a lot more in comparison to SA Penumbra. I think it can put some people off, but I think it works with GMK. Though, some of colors are really bright.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #451 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 07:43:40 »
Been following this thread for a while. GMK would definitely be interesting, can't wait to see renders!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #452 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 11:14:14 »
I don't like this colorway for GMK, but others do, so go for it :)

I think I might be a GMK-conservative...  :cool:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #453 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 11:46:37 »

I love certain sets in GMK, Hydro, Honeywell, Carbon, Muted etc. all scream GMK to me, this one however does not and neither does Penumbra - the white alphas will probably look great and though I have my doubts with the grey ones, I think it'll still look good. Just not as good a fit as SA, in my personal opinion!

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #454 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 13:01:50 »
MENU on Oblivion and Monochrome modifiers has been changed to META. MENU felt too Windows which I already replaced with CODE entirely.

Added another M65 render with Hagoromo alphas, the first one (with Oblivion Alphas) has received a different bottom row.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #455 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 13:26:45 »
Hyper would be better, that's actually a key many of us use...

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #456 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 14:07:49 »

I love certain sets in GMK, Hydro, Honeywell, Carbon, Muted etc. all scream GMK to me, this one however does not and neither does Penumbra - the white alphas will probably look great and though I have my doubts with the grey ones, I think it'll still look good. Just not as good a fit as SA, in my personal opinion!

For me, it's all in the intersection between usefulness and aesthetics.  And GMK has become my goto in those regards.  I also love their pricing and sets for covering whatever board I want to use, in general.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #457 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 14:38:40 »
GMK Penumbra looks like garbage. Felt like a money-grab to me. If you do bring this out as GMK, I hope you can stay true to the colors and legends you have here in the SA renders. Don't be in such a rush to bring a keyset to production. You have a really strong and well-thought design here—and a lot of people are looking forward to it. The fruit is much sweeter when you let it ripen. 

Also, the focal length on this camera is killing me inside.
163326-0

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #458 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 14:48:13 »
(Attachment Link)

O R T H O G O N A L L I F E

I feel it suits Rama's designs

And regarding GMK legends, I have plans, don't worry  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 March 2017, 14:49:46 by Oblotzky »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #459 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 14:59:13 »
GMK Penumbra looks like garbage. Felt like a money-grab to me.   

Opinions do vary.  :cool:

Offline imprevade

« Reply #460 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 17:23:37 »
(Attachment Link)

It's not orthogonal. I think you meant isometric—but it's not isometric either. It's distorted and looks like the keyboard has been twisted.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #461 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 17:24:55 »
(Attachment Link)

It's not orthogonal. I think you meant isometric—but it's not isometric either. It's distorted and looks like the keyboard has been twisted.

Sorry, Orthographic

Ortholinear, Orthogonal, who can keep track?

Edit: Made it less 'twisted'  ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 March 2017, 17:55:28 by Oblotzky »

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #462 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 01:24:35 »
So aside from waiting on the drop to happen, is there anything else you're planning on changing about the set?

To my eyes, the bottom row on a TKL having a majority of keys with blue legends might look colour-wise asymmetrical in an unpleasant way? The way you have the ergodox set colours laid out so no two of the same colour are near each other should apply elsewhere as well.

I'm sorry, I know I'm late with this kind of commentary, but I only decided recently I'd be going in on this buy.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #463 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 05:38:42 »
So aside from waiting on the drop to happen, is there anything else you're planning on changing about the set?

To my eyes, the bottom row on a TKL having a majority of keys with blue legends might look colour-wise asymmetrical in an unpleasant way? The way you have the ergodox set colours laid out so no two of the same colour are near each other should apply elsewhere as well.

I'm sorry, I know I'm late with this kind of commentary, but I only decided recently I'd be going in on this buy.

#1 Keycount wise I do not see any changes necessary at this point, I might however add a Minila kit as that board is very popular over in Asia, and they do love SA. Aside from that, I might come around to the legends from time to time, look at them with fresh eyes, e.g. considering making the numpad enter legend vertical to have the color be spread a bit more, and I do like the look of it. Or changing the git's INIT command to CHECKOUT when I do it vertically. So mostly just waiting and finetuning.

#2 I am very happy with the bottom row, I feel with the one red key on each side, or even just blue on winkeyless boards it has a good color balance. I tried using purple on the META/FUNC key. On the ergodox, the 'bottom row' of the alphas cluster is not really the bottom of the board, the thumbs cluster to the left/right of it sortof continues it and having that all blue as well would be too much blue. So going all christmas tree there is the way to go.

#3 No problem, feedback is always welcome, but I'll be shutting the gate for sure like 1 month ahead of the drop. Should still be plenty of time, after which I would only fix technical errors. I'll be going over the kits once a month or so making sure each key has its purpose and doublecheck with layouts that nothing is missing. If you have a special layout that I claim to be covered, please go over it and approve it!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:21:22 »
Given how low SP's MOQ, how about providing Assembly, 40bit, and Ergodox a monochrome alternatives too? I know it contradict the concept where on the monochrome it always real legend not novelty text. I just wanna speak my mind here ;D

Sure will get both monochrome and colored if happened, so I can have full control over the color placement  ;D

Offline fouras

« Reply #465 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:33:23 »
Any chance of including a couple R1 caps with the ortho kit? It'd be nice if you could have fully dark gray sides on a Preonic.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #466 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 00:48:46 »
Given how low SP's MOQ, how about providing Assembly, 40bit, and Ergodox a monochrome alternatives too? I know it contradict the concept where on the monochrome it always real legend not novelty text. I just wanna speak my mind here ;D

Sure will get both monochrome and colored if happened, so I can have full control over the color placement  ;D

I have thought about that too some time ago, Assembly in Monochrome would look dope for sure, but idk man. 25 kits already! I think it could hit MOQ on those too though...

Any chance of including a couple R1 caps with the ortho kit? It'd be nice if you could have fully dark gray sides on a Preonic.

Good idea, I will look into that. Would you want ~ and + keys in mod color or additional Assembly mods for their place? I'd say the first option makes more sense.

Offline fouras

« Reply #467 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:22:56 »
Good idea, I will look into that. Would you want ~ and + keys in mod color or additional Assembly mods for their place? I'd say the first option makes more sense.

Personally, assembly mods would be more desirable. I wouldn't want those keys bound to ~/+, and most Preonic owners on r/mk don't seem to be using that combination either.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:30:13 »

I have thought about that too some time ago, Assembly in Monochrome would look dope for sure, but idk man. 25 kits already! I think it could hit MOQ on those too though...

Yeah effin 25 kits lol, this starting to become 7bit day by day :p but this is more fun because yours are easier to see-decide-order. Btw, if you use standard legend on Assembly I bet it will be cheaper because SP already has the mold for it (just use Godspeed formation), so why not? >:)

About the R1 for preonic, I vote for another assembly mods instead of ~ and + because it didn't make sense in a way—if you use ~ on the top left there won't be + because it stop at - and if you do that, well that will be a weird looking layout.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #469 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:48:52 »
Personally, assembly mods would be more desirable. I wouldn't want those keys bound to ~/+, and most Preonic owners on r/mk don't seem to be using that combination either.

About the R1 for preonic, I vote for another assembly mods instead of ~ and + because it didn't make sense in a way—if you use ~ on the top left there won't be + because it stop at - and if you do that, well that will be a weird looking layout.

Okay makes sense, R1 assembly mods it is. I'll need to check how it works out with the color distribution tho.

Btw, if you use standard legend on Assembly I bet it will be cheaper because SP already has the mold for it (just use Godspeed formation), so why not? >:)

The assembly legends are shared across 3 kits so it's fine. Plus people would murder me if I ditched them, they are superb.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #470 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:58:02 »
LOL SORRY! What I mean is you use the normal legend on MONOCHROME ASSEMBLY, I forgot to mention the monochrome :p

PS I too will murder you if you remove them colored mod.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #471 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 02:04:37 »
LOL SORRY! What I mean is you use the normal legend on MONOCHROME ASSEMBLY, I forgot to mention the monochrome :p

Well that doesn't make much sense, because if I already do colored Assembly legends, then using standard legends for a monochrome kit won't make any difference price wise as the molds are finished for the colored kit already.  :rolleyes:

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #472 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 02:10:07 »

Well that doesn't make much sense, because if I already do colored Assembly legends, then using standard legends for a monochrome kit won't make any difference price wise as the molds are finished for the colored kit already.  :rolleyes:

My thought is: new doubleshot legend require new mould > new mould require additional cost. If we use godspeed configuration it means we aren't using new mold (just changing colors) > there won't be additional cost > cheaper. No?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #473 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 02:29:26 »

My thought is: new doubleshot legend require new mould > new mould require additional cost. If we use godspeed configuration it means we aren't using new mold (just changing colors) > there won't be additional cost > cheaper. No?

Okay I'm a bit confused now. We might be talking about different things because of my genius naming of the kits here. the 'Assembly' kit (lets call it Ortho for a moment because: ) uses so called Assembly legends, Assembly is a very low level programming language for computers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language

When you said to use regular legends on the MONOCHROME ASEEMBLY, I assumed you ment the original Ortho kit with XOR, ADD, SUB legends etc should be kept that way, but the Monochrome version should use SHIFT, LOWER, RAISE etc. And that is what made very little sense to me because the first kit would already have the new legends made, so the second one could use them as well at no extra charge.

But in any case. the >Assembly< legends (XOR, ADD, SUB) are here to stay 100%, if I'm not mistaken, there are a total of 19 new legends to be made for all three kits that use them (the Ortho set, 40bit and Ergodox), and I think that is fine. So that only leaves the question: Do I want to go all 7bit on this set and add Monochrome Assembly, Monochrome 40bit and Monochrome Ergodox  :rolleyes:

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #474 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:28:55 »
I take it GMK is planned to drop before SA , if so is there anyone planning on getting both?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #475 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:32:07 »
I take it GMK is planned to drop before SA , if so is there anyone planning on getting both?

#1 Correct, GMK will have it's group buy in a week or so, SA in Q3 2017. GMK will not be through Massdrop.
#2 Me

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #476 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:50:33 »

#1 Correct, GMK will have it's group buy in a week or so, SA in Q3 2017. GMK will not be through Massdrop.
#2 Me

I really appreciate the swift reply, I will more then likely end up with both too :P

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #477 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:54:44 »

#2 Me
Will you be handling the GMK GB yourself or using a facilitator (if so, whom)?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #478 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:15:22 »

#2 Me

I'm not insane, someone with a good reputation will be doing it who will announce the GB in a weeks time.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #479 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:26:13 »
Yeah, the forum group buy time is ovah. For the volumes we're talking about right now Massdrop, Originative or KeyClacks are basically the only players.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #480 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:31:00 »

#2 Me

I'm not insane, someone with a good reputation will be doing it who will announce the GB in a weeks time.
I'm not too sure about that first part, but I just got done reading the GMK Oblivion thread and saw that you already mentioned the second part a couple of times. My apologies.  ;D

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #481 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 03:37:37 »

Okay I'm a bit confused now. We might be talking about different things because of my genius naming of the kits here. the 'Assembly' kit (lets call it Ortho for a moment because: ) uses so called Assembly legends, Assembly is a very low level programming language for computers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language

When you said to use regular legends on the MONOCHROME ASEEMBLY, I assumed you ment the original Ortho kit with XOR, ADD, SUB legends etc should be kept that way, but the Monochrome version should use SHIFT, LOWER, RAISE etc. And that is what made very little sense to me because the first kit would already have the new legends made, so the second one could use them as well at no extra charge.

But in any case. the >Assembly< legends (XOR, ADD, SUB) are here to stay 100%, if I'm not mistaken, there are a total of 19 new legends to be made for all three kits that use them (the Ortho set, 40bit and Ergodox), and I think that is fine. So that only leaves the question: Do I want to go all 7bit on this set and add Monochrome Assembly, Monochrome 40bit and Monochrome Ergodox  :rolleyes:

Agree, XOR ADD SUB and their friends should be there no matter what happen. I was suggesting the monochrome counterpart to use the normal CTRL ALT SHIFT etc to follow the fashion of monochrome TKL, Tsafox. But yes it's up to you whether you wanna go 7bit or not  :cool:

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #482 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 11:19:03 »
Just noticed this set, can't wait for the drop. :thumb:

SA >> GMK

Offline joelfong

« Reply #483 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 14:02:24 »
Nice! Looking forward to the drop. (:

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #484 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 00:50:39 »
Hi,
I'm a pleb so I don't know how these work. This is the first keyset I've seen that I really like the colors of, but I wonder would it be possible to order it all dark and with the green text on all mods? I have a very green theme going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #485 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:58:02 »
Hi,
I'm a pleb so I don't know how these work. This is the first keyset I've seen that I really like the colors of, but I wonder would it be possible to order it all dark and with the green text on all mods? I have a very green theme going on

Hey, welcome! Sadly this is not possible because the legends are not printed on the keys (known as pad printing) but done via double shot injection molding. This means they would need to fill the machine with green plastic, and then cycle through all the molds for the modifier legends and pop out one of each. This would cost them a lot of time and thus money, so unless you wave at them with a fat wallet, you are out of luck I'm afraid.

Another SA project, Green Screen, is your best bet https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75607.0 though #1 the alphas are green not the modifiers, and #2 the person running the set hasn't logged in for half a year so it might be dead I'm afraid.

And because I was bored, here is what you proposed would have looked like.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 06:44:55 »
You could also consider GMK Terminal, though it is again with all of the keys that color, and of course, it's GMK.

https://thekey.company/collections/frontpage/products/gb-gmk-terminal_-preorder

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #487 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 08:41:44 »
Hi,

Hey, welcome! Sadly this is not possible because the legends are not printed on the keys (known as pad printing) but done via double shot injection molding. This means they would need to fill the machine with green plastic, and then cycle through all the molds for the modifier legends and pop out one of each. This would cost them a lot of time and thus money, so unless you wave at them with a fat wallet, you are out of luck I'm afraid.

Another SA project, Green Screen, is your best bet https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75607.0 though #1 the alphas are green not the modifiers, and #2 the person running the set hasn't logged in for half a year so it might be dead I'm afraid.

Show Image

Doesn't look half bad, but clearly the original is better...

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #488 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 09:45:13 »
Hi,

Show Image

I wish I was good enough at renders that I could just pop them out because I was bored LOL :D

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #489 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 04:42:44 »
Hi,

Show Image

Dude that's just evil! Tell me I can't have it and then show me how glorious it would look!!! Hahaha Thanks for the info

Hi,

Show Image

Doesn't look half bad, but clearly the original is better...

Yeah, not trying to take away from it, I think it's awesome, it's just I have a distinctly green-and-dark setup :P

You could also consider GMK Terminal, though it is again with all of the keys that color, and of course, it's GMK.

https://thekey.company/collections/frontpage/products/gb-gmk-terminal_-preorder

Ah yeah, that's a pretty good set. I hadn't seen that or anything similar in lots of searching. Think I'll pre-order one up, thanks! (Although that render Oblotzky made is way way better looking lol)
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 22:33:15 by TelFiRE »

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #490 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 09:53:24 »
I just noticed that the group buy for GMK Oblivion is going to go live in a few hours over at Keyclack. Just wanted to say thanks for making that happen; I can't wait to pick up a kit, especially since it'll let me sink my teeth into these gorgeous caps without having to wait for SP's extensive queue. :)

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #491 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 22:47:07 »
Any chance of seeing this in Hi-Profile? Or is it way too early to even consider that?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #492 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 01:50:11 »
Any chance of seeing this in Hi-Profile? Or is it way too early to even consider that?

Do you mean matt3o's MT3? That profile supports PBT only, which this set can not be done with.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #493 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:23:45 »

Do you mean matt3o's MT3? That profile supports PBT only, which this set can not be done with.

SA profile?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #494 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:26:46 »

SA profile?

I'm not sure what you are asking me

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #495 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:41:40 »

SA profile?

GMK Oblivion is on. What about SA Oblivion?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:47:01 »

SA profile?

GMK Oblivion is on. What about SA Oblivion?

Ah, as mentioned in the title, it is currently sheduled for Q3 2017 for Massdrop.

Offline wongie

« Reply #497 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 05:14:01 »
Am I blind or is there no R4 End key? Will there be any changes between now and when the GB goes live to include this seeing as it's in the GMK set that's up now?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 05:21:24 »
Am I blind or is there no R4 End key? Will there be any changes between now and when the GB goes live to include this seeing as it's in the GMK set that's up now?

Yeah I added it but didn't get around to updating the SA stuff yet. Check back in a week or so!

Offline tototoru

« Reply #499 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 16:18:42 »

I remember someone said SP molds have removable tops so they can make the legends without making a new mold, that's why they can make so many texts and novelties, I think no one could afford this set otherwise with so many custom stuff.