Author Topic: [GB] SA Oblivion - CONCLUDED  (Read 281926 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
Re: [IC] SA Oblivion (Massdrop Q3 2017, Updated 14.03.2017)
« Reply #500 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 16:21:06 »
LOL SORRY! What I mean is you use the normal legend on MONOCHROME ASSEMBLY, I forgot to mention the monochrome :p

PS I too will murder you if you remove them colored mod.

Well that doesn't make much sense, because if I already do colored Assembly legends, then using standard legends for a monochrome kit won't make any difference price wise as the molds are finished for the colored kit already.  :rolleyes:

My thought is: new doubleshot legend require new mould > new mould require additional cost. If we use godspeed configuration it means we aren't using new mold (just changing colors) > there won't be additional cost > cheaper. No?

I remember someone said SP molds have removable tops so they can make the legends without making a new mold, that's why they can make so many texts and novelties, I think no one could afford this set otherwise with so many custom stuff.

All manufacturers have a top and bottom mold part, the difference is that SP uses a brass insert to change the legend while for GMK for example the entire top mold is done from scratch, but they use a better metal (stainless steel I guess?) which doesn't wear out near as fast.

Offline zslane

« Reply #501 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 17:40:38 »
Is that why GMK charges 4x as much for a custom legend as SP does?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #502 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 17:45:30 »

It's more like 10x as far as I know, and yes. Same goes for maxkeys.

Many people are under the impression that new graphics require a new ‘mold’. New graphics are engraved in a brass plate. These legend plate are interchangeable inserts used in the first shot molds.

From: https://www.keychatter.com/2016/10/11/interview-melissa-with-signature-plastics/

Offline zslane

« Reply #503 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 18:02:41 »

It's more like 10x as far as I know, and yes. Same goes for maxkeys.

T0mb3ry mentioned $300 per custom legend mold, which makes it 4x as much as SP's $75 price per brass legend plate. But maybe GMK's price fluctuates according to their mood...

I find it odd that MaxKeys charges more than SP given that they use the same exact equipment and processes to produce double-shot keycaps.

Offline wongie

« Reply #504 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 02:28:33 »
Given the recent delay with Godspeed I suppose then Oblivion is more likely to run in 2018 rather than remaining Q3 this year?

Offline doom2

« Reply #505 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:20:04 »
Given the recent delay with Godspeed I suppose then Oblivion is more likely to run in 2018 rather than remaining Q3 this year?

Yeah, would be nice to have the GB closer to potential production date rather than a huge gap. As much as I want to buy into SA Oblivion, I also don't want a 7bit-style delay.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #506 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:32:19 »

Yeah, would be nice to have the GB closer to potential production date rather than a huge gap. As much as I want to buy into SA Oblivion, I also don't want a 7bit-style delay.

Yes I agree, and I have told Massdrop that I would rather wait with the drop for a shorter production schedule, even if that means we have to wait longer overall. But ultimately it is up to Massdrop, and I don't know yet how this affects the Q3 estimate we have had so far for this drop.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #507 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:58:06 »
Yes I agree, and I have told Massdrop that I would rather wait with the drop for a shorter production schedule, even if that means we have to wait longer overall. But ultimately it is up to Massdrop, and I don't know yet how this affects the Q3 estimate we have had so far for this drop.
Given that I just received an email that Godspeed still hasn't even begun production seven months after the drop ended, that's probably not a bad idea. Hell, I think SP needs to be sued for the interest on the funds that they're holding. I may just start avoiding SA sets in general.  :(

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #508 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 13:29:02 »
Given that I just received an email that Godspeed still hasn't even begun production seven months after the drop ended, that's probably not a bad idea. Hell, I think SP needs to be sued for the interest on the funds that they're holding. I may just start avoiding SA sets in general.  :(

I don't think a lawsuit is warranted. They haven't refused production while keeping the funds and I have no doubt they will deliver. We all know what we're signing up for when we join a group buy for an SA set these days.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #509 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 13:59:42 »

I don't think a lawsuit is warranted. They haven't refused production while keeping the funds and I have no doubt they will deliver. We all know what we're signing up for when we join a group buy for an SA set these days.
Oh, my bad... I wasn't serious. I should have used a tongue-in-cheek emoticon or something.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 14:03:01 »

Oh, my bad... I wasn't serious. I should have used a tongue-in-cheek emoticon or something.

Ah, of course. Text has a tendency to mask tone.  :thumb:

Offline colbs

« Reply #511 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 20:15:52 »

I understand wanting to wait for the drop so the time between GB and production is minimized.  However, I don't know that I agree that it would be worth delaying the drop for a shorter lead time if it delays when the set is ultimately produced.  For example, I would rather pay for the set tomorrow and get it April 2018, vs. paying for it January 2018 and getting it July 2018 (just so it is clear, I made up these dates, I have no inside knowledge on the actual lead times).

zFrontier is currently running an SA SP group buy (cream cheese and green), and just recently finished SP SA corner creatures.  The SA queue is doing nothing but getting longer.  I don't know how effective the plan of waiting to drop the set to achieve a shorter lead time will actually be.

In any case, we all should obviously just join the GMK oblivion GB, so we have something to help us pass the time while we wait for SA Oblivion :)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #512 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 00:21:24 »
Unless MaxKeys is able to increase their production capacity significantly or some other cap maker comes along, I don't think we're going to see a large drop off in time until a set is in production.  Remember that as more mechanical keyboards are sold to new buyers, the number of consumers for these keycaps increases as well.  Right now, the demand for SA caps seems to be remaining high.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #513 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 03:14:00 »
Massdrop has been grooming a manufacturer for matt3o's new MT3 profile that is quite similar to SA. See http://matt3o.com/about-mt3-profile-and-devtty-set/ for more detail than you probably care about.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #514 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 03:21:00 »
Massdrop has been grooming a manufacturer for matt3o's new MT3 profile that is quite similar to SA. See http://matt3o.com/about-mt3-profile-and-devtty-set/ for more detail than you probably care about.

MT3 is PBT dye-sub only, which this set cannot utilize due to the color restrictions for that process.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #515 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 07:59:15 »

MT3 is PBT dye-sub only, which this set cannot utilize due to the color restrictions for that process.

You can always reverse dye-sub :P

Pioneering that method for them will probably be helpful in the long run too.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #516 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 15:08:15 »

You can always reverse dye-sub :P

Pioneering that method for them will probably be helpful in the long run too.

Seems to be in the early stages with only some Chinese companies interested in pursuing it.  Given he just got his first set out on the new profile, I'd say it's too early to delve into things like reverse dyesub with MT3 just yet.  Though I do admit to having thrown the idea out in the Deskthority thread just in case.

That said, something like Rocketeer would be a perfect candidate for the MT3 profile if the manufacturer can get the cap colors down.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #517 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 20:57:22 »
About the R1 for preonic, I vote for another assembly mods instead of ~ and + because it didn't make sense in a way—if you use ~ on the top left there won't be + because it stop at - and if you do that, well that will be a weird looking layout.

Okay makes sense, R1 assembly mods it is. I'll need to check how it works out with the color distribution tho.

Guys, I'm stuck on this one. Since yellow is used in the bottom row for the ortholinear kit, I am not sure how I can fill 4 rows of modifier keys with the remaining 3 colors (orange, purple, green). Anyone have an idea?

reference of the current color distribution:
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 20:59:22 by Oblotzky »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #518 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:27:07 »
You could change the order of colors to match the Ergodox kit or the left side of the Oblivion modifiers.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #519 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 03:06:10 »
You could change the order of colors to match the Ergodox kit or the left side of the Oblivion modifiers.

Yeah that would work for the Preonic then, but the Planck's would be left out of the top left orange accent then  :(

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #520 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 08:33:34 »
Any chance the ortho kit gets expanded to cover subatomic since that will probably be dropping this summer? Guessing that will also affect the color layout if we add two more columns.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #521 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 22:56:30 »
About the R1 for preonic, I vote for another assembly mods instead of ~ and + because it didn't make sense in a way—if you use ~ on the top left there won't be + because it stop at - and if you do that, well that will be a weird looking layout.

Okay makes sense, R1 assembly mods it is. I'll need to check how it works out with the color distribution tho.

Guys, I'm stuck on this one. Since yellow is used in the bottom row for the ortholinear kit, I am not sure how I can fill 4 rows of modifier keys with the remaining 3 colors (orange, purple, green). Anyone have an idea?

reference of the current color distribution:
Show Image

Sorry which 4 rows of modifier do you mean? R1?

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #522 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 00:24:55 »
Probably R1 through R4, since you were asking for more assembly mods in place of ~ and + in the top left and right corners of the layout. The goal I assume is to get the modifier colors on the entire left and right columns while keeping the colors consistent.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 May 2017, 00:26:36 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #523 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 18:16:44 »
Will be picking up a numpad kit for my Pocket when this drops :)

Looks good.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #524 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 21:52:23 »
According to the person running SA Calm Depths R2, SP is booked until May of next year. If this only opens Q3 of this year, when do we expect to have it? I'm really keeping my keyboard relatively unfinished because SA Oblivion mods are the only ones I want on my keyboard. But if literally 2019 is when I might have it, that might be too long.

:(

Offline Marutks

« Reply #525 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:53:07 »
is it going to be on Massdrop soon ?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #526 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:55:35 »
is it going to be on Massdrop soon ?

Q3 2017 is still the current ETA. I wouldn't want it happening sooner actually with all the sets coming out right now. I'll update once I have news.

Offline yookwh

« Reply #527 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 19:42:59 »
Just wanted to chime in and say that this is definitely going to be the set I'll be going for. There are very few sets that stand out while being "neutral" at the same time. I can really see this matching on a lot of keyboards. Excited to see it on MD!

Offline IzeTheRube

« Reply #528 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:18:42 »
Beautiful keyset outside of its functionality and then just sublime when factoring function. I wasn't able to get in on the GMK Oblivion GB, will the SA Oblivion be the only set offered on Massdrop? Thanks so much!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:24:32 »
Beautiful keyset outside of its functionality and then just sublime when factoring function. I wasn't able to get in on the GMK Oblivion GB, will the SA Oblivion be the only set offered on Massdrop? Thanks so much!

Thank you! Yes it will be on Massdrop later this year, the current ETA is Q3 but it's been a few months since I received that info myself, I'll try to get an update on that matter soon.

I'm also working on an update for the kits, maybe going to post them this weekend.

Gonna leave this here for now  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:39:17 by Oblotzky »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #530 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 17:21:37 »
If you're not joining the SA Carbon drop, you might want to snatch up its alphas anyways  ;)

Note that Carbon is R4 bottom row while Oblivion is R3 bottom row, so Numpad is not perfect for 0 and . keys

Offline thinksimple

« Reply #531 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 07:05:18 »
Interesting red and blue keys!
This just helped me confirmed to hold my wallet for this instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #532 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 20:43:10 »
If you're not joining the SA Carbon drop, you might want to snatch up its alphas anyways  ;)

As if carbon wasn't costing me enough already....the cream alphas looks really good with oblivion.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #533 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 04:17:00 »
Those are evil renders. Seriously, they're making me want to just up and buy alphas from a drop I had 0 interest in.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline kiettv12

« Reply #534 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 05:25:17 »
will eta still be a year ? i wanna join carbon but the eta is killing me

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #535 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 05:27:31 »
will eta still be a year ? i wanna join carbon but the eta is killing me

Drop is scheduled for Q3 of this year, but production would obviously be after Carbon. Unless SP pulls a miracle and hires godsent workers to immediatly speed up the queue, I don't see production starting before April 2018

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #536 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 13:21:37 »

Note that Carbon is R4 bottom row while Oblivion is R3 bottom row, so Numpad is not perfect for 0 and . keys

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

You always have the best renders. You know what set-up I'm most excited for? Penumbra R2 alphas with SA Oblivion mods. To me that's like a strictly better Penumbra.  :))

Offline imprevade

« Reply #537 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 14:20:44 »
You always have the best renders. You know what set-up I'm most excited for? Penumbra R2 alphas with SA Oblivion mods. To me that's like a strictly better Penumbra.  :))

Penumbra R2 is 1-2-3-3-4-4 and Oblivion is 1-1-2-3-4-3, so profiles won't match up sadly.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #538 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 15:02:45 »
The caffeinated chain smoker Yellow of the default Penumbra alphas is what turned me away from it indefinitely, whereas the clean white alphas of SA Oblivion are the tits. These cream colored WBO alphas from SA Carbon look so nice with oblivion, probably because the color reminds me of a timeworn sheet of paper. I might even like it more than the Hagoromo alphas. And only $35.99 right now...soon to be $34.99 once the 1000 drop point is hit...

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #539 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 15:19:32 »
The caffeinated chain smoker Yellow of the default Penumbra alphas is what turned me away from it indefinitely, whereas the clean white alphas of SA Oblivion are the tits. These cream colored WBO alphas from SA Carbon look so nice with oblivion, probably because the color reminds me of a timeworn sheet of paper. I might even like it more than the Hagoromo alphas. And only $35.99 right now...soon to be $34.99 once the 1000 drop point is hit...

Haha I used to think the exact same thing, but the old yellow has grown on me as a sort of homage to that ancient worn-in electronics aesthetic. And it looks better with grey imo.   

Penumbra R2 is 1-2-3-3-4-4 and Oblivion is 1-1-2-3-4-3, so profiles won't match up sadly.

Wow didn't even think of that. Thank you for shattering my dreams.  ;)

Offline thinksimple

« Reply #540 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 05:05:18 »

Thank you! Yes it will be on Massdrop later this year, the current ETA is Q3 but it's been a few months since I received that info myself, I'll try to get an update on that matter soon.

I'm also working on an update for the kits, maybe going to post them this weekend.

Show Image

Possible to update in one or two weeks time about the red and blue accents?
Deciding whether to get orange mods...

Offline kiettv12

« Reply #541 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:04:52 »
nevermind  wrong topic
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:06:28 by kiettv12 »

Offline thinksimple

« Reply #542 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 05:13:55 »
Any chance that a R2 1.5u Delete can be included along with the current Backspace?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #543 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 05:31:57 »
Any chance that a R2 1.5u Delete can be included along with the current Backspace?

Hey, I'm afraid no. There are a couple other keys I'd love to include in the specialties kits (e.g. 2u shift and 1u shift for those hip new 60% with arrows) but I have to draw a line somewhere so the kit ends up at a reasonable price (Carbon started off at 79,99$ for the extension kit due to the high amount of non-1u keys). Please keep in mind that this set has not been run before, the reception is certainly way above average, but I must not allow that to blind me and go balls deep and throw every conceivable key that someone might find useful at the kits. Specialty kits are very difficult in this regard. I hope you can understand!

Offline thinksimple

« Reply #544 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 05:35:20 »

Hey, I'm afraid no. There are a couple other keys I'd love to include in the specialties kits (e.g. 2u shift and 1u shift for those hip new 60% with arrows) but I have to draw a line somewhere so the kit ends up at a reasonable price (Carbon started off at 79,99$ for the extension kit due to the high amount of non-1u keys). Please keep in mind that this set has not been run before, the reception is certainly way above average, but I must not allow that to blind me and go balls deep and throw every conceivable key that someone might find useful at the kits. Specialty kits are very difficult in this regard. I hope you can understand!
Thanks for the super fast reply!
Are the Carbon bone modifiers and the Oblivion monochrome modifiers of the same colour codes?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #545 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 05:39:39 »

Thanks for the super fast reply!
Are the Carbon bone modifiers and the Oblivion monochrome modifiers of the same colour codes?

No, while Oblivion uses GQM for the base modifier color just like Carbon does, Carbon uses WBO for the legends while I use GAL. WBO is what he also uses for the Carbon alphas.

Offline thinksimple

« Reply #546 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 05:40:40 »
Thanks!! Was trying to figure out for the legends.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #547 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 14:53:29 »

Show Image

Possible to update in one or two weeks time about the red and blue accents?
Deciding whether to get orange mods...

I think I have it mostly done now. I think I'll post it within the next 48h

Offline nickw

Re: [IC] SA Oblivion
« Reply #548 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 17:17:06 »
Edit: Ergodox and Planck seem pretty forward with the Presets provided in keyboard-layout-editor.com,

I would suggest blanks be an option for the planck.  Many (most?) of us planck users are doing something custom with our keys.  I, for example, use the middle 6 thumb keys on my grid planck inverted so they're easier on the thumbs, and have things like an enter key to the right of my space, and a backspace to the left of A.

So far I think Nantucket Selectric was the best for Planck so far.  It was a standalone set with some novelties (Anchors and wheels) and some colour coordinated blanks to fill out the edges and bottom row.

I suspect it worked well.  I know it's the only set which has tempted me to move away from the SA blanks I used previously.  (I bought 2 planck sets, and some extra colemak and homing keys)

Usually I look at the $100+ to get the keys I need for a planck that won't even match my layout (I would need a few additional blanks to knock out the differences), and I just can't justify it. 

Offline Oblotzky

Re: [IC] SA Oblivion
« Reply #549 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 17:28:43 »
Edit: Ergodox and Planck seem pretty forward with the Presets provided in keyboard-layout-editor.com,

I would suggest blanks be an option for the planck.  Many (most?) of us planck users are doing something custom with our keys.  I, for example, use the middle 6 thumb keys on my grid planck inverted so they're easier on the thumbs, and have things like an enter key to the right of my space, and a backspace to the left of A.

So far I think Nantucket Selectric was the best for Planck so far.  It was a standalone set with some novelties (Anchors and wheels) and some colour coordinated blanks to fill out the edges and bottom row.

I suspect it worked well.  I know it's the only set which has tempted me to move away from the SA blanks I used previously.  (I bought 2 planck sets, and some extra colemak and homing keys)

Usually I look at the $100+ to get the keys I need for a planck that won't even match my layout (I would need a few additional blanks to knock out the differences), and I just can't justify it.

Are you referring to the modifiers? Or are you suggesting a blank key kit like Carbon does to replace the alphas? I believe you are referring to the modifiers though. The current legends are assembly instructions (machine code, a super low level programming language), they don't have any meaning in this context anyways so you can throw any function on them, they will all equally make sense, and you get to keep the nice colors of the Oblivion theme. I won't be doing blank modifiers for Planck/40% or Ergodox, I find the kits I have for those are perfectly executed (Assembly kit has a few keys changed with the next update).