Author Topic: Seller's remorse?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline whininggit

Seller's remorse?
« on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 01:51:26 »
I have had buyer's remorse on several occasions (after buying an Intel X25m for example, even though it was a good upgrade), but is there such a thing as 'seller's remorse'?

When I lost my job, I sold my Unicomp Customizer for practically nothing and decided to use my Cherry blue board, which I later modified to browns. After a few months I bought another blue board, and now I am considering buying another Unicomp. Am I crazy? I will probably keep using the Cherry brown board but I still like to have the other boards around and it is for this reason that I considering spending more money. It is not even curiosity any more, as was the case for my Alps-buying splurges last year, because I know what the keyboards feel like, I know what they sound like, and I know that they weren't my favourite!

I have decided that I am not going to sell any more of my keyboards because there will be a point in the future that I will long for it again.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline audioave10

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 01:57:05 »
Seems perfectly normal to me...but then I have 3 large gaming PC's in one small room.

DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline British

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 06:29:22 »

Offline J888www

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 06:58:35 »
Quote from: whininggit;202866
I am not going to sell any more of my keyboards because there will be a point in the future that I will long for it again.

Congratulations, you have been infected with the GH virus. Soon you'll be dreaming of keyboards, typing while eating, etcetera, but don't try showering with it though.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline hyperlinked

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 07:08:43 »
whininggit, I can relate. I have an ABS M1 that I've thought about giving away a few times and the main thing that stops me is that I don't think the person getting it would actually appreciate it and the other thing that stops me is that I wonder if I'll feel an urge to find a replacement once I get rid of it.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 07:14:27 »
Quote from: J888www;202891
typing while eating

Don't mind me, I'll just hop on your computer for a second...

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Seller's remorse?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:02:44 »
I just don't buy or sell keyboards because I'm cheap.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline bigpook

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:04:45 »
welcome to the club... I have sold and repurchased more keyboards then I care to mention. : ) I've settled down now, at least I think so....
I am keeping my unicomps, ibm mini and HHKB. Even if one of them sits idle for 6 months or so, I know I will be wanting to use it eventually.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline patrickgeekhack

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:50:30 »
I can certainly understand that feeling. I have not sold any keyboard, but I took my Dell AT101W to work and was using it in a location where we test all kinds of computers. I was away and we had a guy come in to take away old equipment. Someone gave him my Dell :-( Thankfully, it did not cost me a lot, but I still want to replace it.

Offline hyperlinked

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:09:17 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;202925
I can certainly understand that feeling. I have not sold any keyboard, but I took my Dell AT101W to work and was using it in a location where we test all kinds of computers. I was away and we had a guy come in to take away old equipment. Someone gave him my Dell :-( Thankfully, it did not cost me a lot, but I still want to replace it.

There should be a GH FAQ on how to live long as a GH'er and not spend a truckload of money and the first rule should be to buy one daily driver and the cheapest acceptable version of everything else just to dull the urge to buy a more expensive version and then hang onto said board to prevent withdrawl symptoms.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline patrickgeekhack

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:05:58 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202929
There should be a GH FAQ on how to live long as a GH'er and not spend a truckload of money and the first rule should be to buy one daily driver and the cheapest acceptable version of everything else just to dull the urge to buy a more expensive version and then hang onto said board to prevent withdrawl symptoms.

I don't think this will work for one simple reason: keyboards are to Geekhackers what shoes are to women.  No matter how many keyboards we have, there's always one more we would like to have. This explains why some people have so many Model M in their collection, or why I have two blue Cherries keyboard and still want another one.

Offline hyperlinked

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:52:36 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;202944
I don't think this will work for one simple reason: keyboards are to Geekhackers what shoes are to women.  No matter how many keyboards we have, there's always one more we would like to have. This explains why some people have so many Model M in their collection, or why I have two blue Cherries keyboard and still want another one.

I guess this calls for a poll on how many "usable" keyboards the average GH'er owns. I mean keyboards that you would swap in and use in place of your daily driver. I felt a hefty urge to add additional keyboards when all of my backup keyboards were garbage, but ever since I've built up over three worthy alternates, the only urge for another keyboard is the novelty factor of wondering what a different switch variant would be like.

I'm still a Topre short and possibly a clickly ALPS short. Maybe I'm deluding myself that I'll be all cool as a cucumber once those two are knocked off of my keyboard bucket list.

Switching keyboards on a day to day basis is actually really painful for me to do because I have so many custom shortcuts mapped to my main board. I have to remap everything whenever I want to play on a new one. That takes a lot of the fun out of owning a bunch of different boards.
-

Offline patrickgeekhack

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 12:26:39 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202964
I guess this calls for a poll on how many "usable" keyboards the average GH'er owns. I mean keyboards that you would swap in and use in place of your daily driver. I felt a hefty urge to add additional keyboards when all of my backup keyboards were garbage, but ever since I've built up over three worthy alternates, the only urge for another keyboard is the novelty factor of wondering what a different switch variant would be like.

I'm still a Topre short and possibly a clickly ALPS short. Maybe I'm deluding myself that I'll be all cool as a cucumber once those two are knocked off of my keyboard bucket list.

Switching keyboards on a day to day basis is actually really painful for me to do because I have so many custom shortcuts mapped to my main board. I have to remap everything whenever I want to play on a new one. That takes a lot of the fun out of owning a bunch of different boards.

I started with buckling spring, then wanted to know what other switches feel like. I ended with the following switches:

- 1 buckling spring
- 1 black ALPS
- 2 blue Cherry
- 2 brown Cherry
- 1 simplified black ALPS
- 1 Topre

The ones which got used the least was the ALPS and the buckling spring. I thought was I was "cured" until I feel the need to test a blue Cherry on plate mount. At some point I would like to try a white click ALPS too.

Offline Lenny_Nero

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 15:22:09 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202929
There should be a GH FAQ on how to live long as a GH'er and not spend a truckload of money...

Yes please.
I would really like to know how to do this.
Filco Zero, Viglen DFK 2020UKF104, DTK SPK-102a, Panasonic Biz 500
Ducky 1087 Chicony KB-5191, G80-1856HQMGB Cherry G80-1000HFD and others
 G80-11908HRMIT, Tipro MID-KM128a, Access AKEOXPB312/2 (20x7), Access AKEOCTI635/1(15x6)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Seller's remorse?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 15:47:17 »
I'll teach ya. I've been here for a while and haven't bought a single new keyboard.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline whininggit

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 16:34:59 »
I have gone through most switches on my list; still looking out for a Topre and I'm interested in a Chicony with the 'Monterey' switches though. I thought I was safe from spending excessive amounts of money on a Topre due to the difficulty in just 'coming across one' on eBay UK, but then Bruce goes and announces this. I know that even with the good resale value of a Topre, I would probably hang on to it even if I didn't like it - "just in case" (as with the multitude of Alps keyboards that I will never use as my main board).
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 16:40:56 by whininggit »
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline hyperlinked

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 17:21:50 »
Quote from: Lenny_Nero;203063
Yes please.
I would really like to know how to do this.

Ok. I'll write it and I'll sell it to you... for a Topre board. ;)
-

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Seller's remourse
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 21:04:24 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202894
the main thing that stops me is that I don't think the person getting it would actually appreciate it and the other thing that stops me is that I wonder if I'll feel an urge to find a replacement once I get rid of it.

Sell me my Scorpius M10 back, you wanker!

This was the only board I regretted selling. I had Wellington's M10, without any soldering problems,
and then I sold it,
and then I wanted Cherry blues again,
and then I bought a different M10,
and then I found out what a real M10 is like,
and then I had to re-solder all the switches to satisfy myself they wouldn't give up on me at a critical time.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline hyperlinked

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 21:09:33 »
Quote from: ricercar;203187
Sell me my Scorpius M10 back, you wanker!

LOL, you were one of the people I was thinking of when I was writing that. I noticed you were trying to acquire a replacement a month after you sold the Scorpius M10 to me.
-

Offline Voixdelion

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 21:39:21 »
I wish it weren't true but I still feel the need to try the cherry blues.  I did find that I like the AT101W a bit though, which I acquired by mistake in search of white Alps to try.  I thought it would be enough to find some switch that I could find comfortable under my fingers and be as typo free as my M - still the most reliable, but sometimes a little bit of a workout to type for long periods - but even though I've sort of found that I still have this burning desire to know if I might like the blues even better.  Any brick and mortars likely to have something on display I could fiddle with and maybe "try before I buy"?  That way I MAYBE could get out of it cheaper if I find I don't like them as much as the BS or white Alps by not having to buy one at all, or at least feel better about the money spent if I know for sure I want what I'm buying...
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Seller's remorse?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 00:44:19 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;203190
LOL, you were one of the people I was thinking of when I was writing that. I noticed you were trying to acquire a replacement a month after you sold the Scorpius M10 to me.

Yeah, that's the only board I've wanted back. Now I know, never sell my only keyboard with a switch type. I'll want it for testing later, even if it's not a daily driver.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Otterclock

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 01:22:03 »
Psychologists have posited that the enthusiast mindset is unquenchable, because the process of upgrading and sampling so many variations of a product hypersensitizes you to the point where no version of the product will ever exist that meets your needs. An ideal is formed that cannot be met. A notion of perfection doomed to only ever exist in your mind. You literally know too much, and because of it you'll never, ever be satisfied. You appreciate it to the point that it's ruined.

Those people who are plum happy with their whatever-keyboard, they're lucky. The extent to which we obsess over what most consider a purely utilitarian item almost certainly qualifies as dysfunction, and most of us are likely chasing something emotionally deeper than a good typing experience.

lol jk I luv keyboards.

Anyone check out Kitchenaid's new line of blenders? They have a couple models made in the Indonesian manufacturing plant that produced those nice blades, but the low profile buttons still sit a little high on the base. I don't understand how people can use those crappy Walmart blenders.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline Voixdelion

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 01:55:03 »
So has it been truly mathematically proven, then?

Ignorance = Bliss?
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline gr1m

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 02:02:35 »
How to be happy with one keyboard:

- Forget everything you know about mechanical keyboards
- Become a 1337 gamer
- Buy a G15 and use it for 2 years
- Discover mechanicals
- Ignore advice and get Cherry MX Black gaming keyboard
- ???
- Profit

Offline msiegel

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 02:58:57 »
Quote from: Otterclock;203247
most of us are likely chasing something emotionally deeper than a good typing experience

i remember my first day using an ibm xt keyboard...

how confused i was by its smooth resistance, sharp buckling, and loud clacking.

then i discovered each keypress registers at the clack, not at the bottom... and i became enlightened.

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Findecanor

Seller's remorse?
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 05:14:54 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;202944
No matter how many keyboards we have, there's always one more we would like to have.
I am not after quantity. I am looking for The One True Perfect Keyboard ... and if it turns out that I am the one who builds it myself, then so be it.