Author Topic: Is the Filco keyboard worth it?  (Read 9255 times)

Offline jc0481

Is the Filco keyboard worth it?
« on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 23:16:26 »
I don't mean to sound critical but over $100 for a keyboard is a lot for me. But I have money saved up and looking for a better keyboard. Right now my main keyboard is the Microsoft Curve keyboard. My wife and I both go to school online so anything that that will make me faster with my online university I'm always eager for.

My other concern is if I will keep my wife up at night. I stay up late to do my homework. We have our office in what used to be a family room and it has no door. About 7 feet away is our bedroom. My wife is a semi deep sleeper.

I just don't want to spend this kind of money and I really like the keyboard and have to return it due to my wife not able to sleep at night because of my typing. By the way I will be purchasing the Cherry Brown switches based keyboard. Actually this model Majestouch Tactile Touch. I'm afraid she might wake up because of the keyboard typing.

Also thanks to this forum I finally decided to purchase Majestouch Tactile Touch keyboard depending on the outcome of this post. I was deciding between the Das keyboard and the Majestouch. Thanks again.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 23:28:40 »
Well, the "tactile touch" (brown Cherrys) is definitely the right choice if sound is a concern.  The browns are a great switch...you should enjoy them.

Don't wait 18 months to post again.  Let us know how you like that keyboard!

Offline mrbill

• http://weblog.mrbill.net
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 03:14:50 »
Yes.  I doubted my first purchase of a board with blue Cherries, but I've since bought two more boards, tenkeyless w/Cherry Browns.
Keyboards:
IBM Model Ms: 51G8572 (\'94, \'96), 1391401 (\'90), 1369050 (\'95, Dell), 1394946 (\'89 Industrial)
Unicomp Model Ms:  Customizer 104, SpaceSaver 104
Chicony: KB-5181, KB-5191
Cherry:  MX11800 (x2), G86-6241 "Ricercar SPOS"
Filco: FKBN87M/EB x2, Cherry Browns
Sold: Matias Tactile Pro 1.0 (x2), Kensington Studioboard Mechanical, Scorpius M10, AEK II (x2), Compaq 11900 (x2), IBM Model F (AT), Filco FKB104MC/EB
Available Free for Cost of Shipping: ABS M1, Solidtek KB-6600ABU, KeyTronic KB101Plus

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 03:28:37 »
Quote from: jc0481;182830
I don't mean to sound critical but over $100 for a keyboard is a lot for me. But I have money saved up and looking for a better keyboard. Right now my main keyboard is the Microsoft Curve keyboard. My wife and I both go to school online so anything that that will make me faster with my online university I'm always eager for.

My other concern is if I will keep my wife up at night. I stay up late to do my homework. We have our office in what used to be a family room and it has no door. About 7 feet away is our bedroom. My wife is a semi deep sleeper.

I just don't want to spend this kind of money and I really like the keyboard and have to return it due to my wife not able to sleep at night because of my typing. By the way I will be purchasing the Cherry Brown switches based keyboard. Actually this model Majestouch Tactile Touch. I'm afraid she might wake up because of the keyboard typing.

Also thanks to this forum I finally decided to purchase Majestouch Tactile Touch keyboard depending on the outcome of this post. I was deciding between the Das keyboard and the Majestouch. Thanks again.

If you haven't already purchased the Filco Majestouch, you might want to consider a keyboard that uses Topre switches.  Although they're almost three times the price of a Filco, you might be able find a used Topre Realforce for $200 or less.

IMO, the Topre key switch is superior to Cherry MX Browns.  If noise is one of your primary concerns, you will find the the Realforce keyboards quieter than the Cherry Browns, primarily because the Topre key switch has a softer landing  (stay away from noisy Blue Cherry keyboards like Das).  Unless you develop the discipline to feel the actuation point on the Cherry Browns, you will bottom out the key strokes.  

I bought my Realforce 87U and 23UB primarily to use in the evening at my home office when the rest of the family is sleeping. I can type for hours on my Realforce without disturbing anyone, even with the doors open.

On the other hand, the Brown Cherry Filco I used for a brief time annoyed my wife and woke up the baby on several occasions.  I'm more heavy handed than the average person and when I'm typing at 80 or 90 wpm, the last thing I want to worry about is how hard I'm hitting the keys.

YMMV.  Let us know how the Brown Cherry Filco works out for you.
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 07:17:05 »
$100 for something that should last years and make your work more enjoyable on a daily basis. $100 is nothing in the long run. NOTHING! Trust me. Get in the habit of buying quality items that do their job well and last a long time and you will never regret it.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 07:24:38 »
Do you want a tenkeyless or a full board?

Offline trievalot

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 07:54:35 »
18 months! Wow....

get a used board with browns to try first. Where are you (globally)
[SIGPIC]

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 12:46:20 »
Where sound is the issue, then expensive (topre) or cheap (rubber chicklet) are the quietest.  
If your current main keyboard is quiet enough and there's nothing wrong with it, if it turns out she can't sleep through the browns (because you bottom out a lot), then switch the boards, when she goes to bed.  Why return something you can still use and prefer to use, more often than not?  Also, if it is only the bottoming out, this might be the solution, while you learn to not bottom out.

I find plastic keys are loud.  I can make a lot of noise without even pressing a key.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 21:31:45 »
PCB mounted cherry switch keyboards with double shot keys are a great balance between noise and feel.  The PCB mounted boards are generally cheaper than filcos and quieter.  Btu the Filco is an OUTSTANDING keyboard.  One of the best ever made IMO.  And you can silence the metal plate in it.

How loud it is depends on how you type.  Many people bottom out on cherry brown switches and it can be loud... but in time you learn not to bottom them out.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 07:13:23 »
I think when better keycaps are available for the Filcos, it will put them on par with the Cherry-made 'boards sound-wise.  That said, Filcos are still awesome with their standard caps.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 08:49:34 »
Why?  'Cause she hasn't yet?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:13:11 »
I vote for a Cherry G80-3000 with browns...
Should cost roughly 1/2 compared to the Filco!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:20:30 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;183156
I vote for a Cherry G80-3000 with browns...
Should cost roughly 1/2 compared to the Filco!

It doesn't.  DataCal sells them for $99 since they're a custom 'board.  They are a little cheaper than the regular Filco and about $40 less than the NKRO version.

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:37:13 »
What washuai said.

If your MS Comfort Curve 2000 is too loud, you may get more mileage looking for a quieter rubber membrane/chiclet keyboard. I'd suggest trying the Apple Wired or whatever demo units they throw out at your local big PC store.

FWIW, a Filco Cherry Brown as a daytime keyboard would not be a bad investment. I've had my Tenkeyless for about a month now and I think it's just about the best keyboard I've ever touched.

Also, I'd recommend looking for a mouse with quiet button switches or one without them at all.

My setup at work is (left to right): Ergonomic Touchpad (for clicking), Kensington Orbit w/ Scroll wheel, MS Curve (w/ MouseKeys for clicking), Logitech Trackman Wheel.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 15:03:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;183163
It doesn't.  DataCal sells them for $99 since they're a custom 'board.  They are a little cheaper than the regular Filco and about $40 less than the NKRO version.

Wow, around here I can get a 80-3000 for 40 Euros (around 50 USD)
So, basically half of the Filcos price... :/

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 15:12:26 »
We can't get jack for Cherry 'boards in the US.  Most of the ones that are available here are POS 'boards, and those are crazy expensive brand new.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 15:36:05 »
Yeah, heard of that... :/
But there is still the chance that OP lives in Euroland >.>

Offline jc0481

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 22:18:34 »
Wow. Thank you for the replies and very good information. It won't be another 18 months for a reply from me.  :-) In fact I tried to reply a few days ago but couldn't it seemed Geekhack forums were down. Not sure though.

I am located in Utah. I want a full size keyboard not a tenkeyless.
I did try out a friend's Apple new wired keyboard and it was too thin for my tastes. I did like the feel of the keys though. That's the only kind of keyboard that I know of besides the Logitech DiNovo keyboards.

If I purchase the Filco how do I silence the metal plate in the keyboard? This ws mentioned in a earlier post. Do I have to take it apart (that is fine by me) and take it out?

One of the first posts mentioned the other kind of keyboard. It costs $200-300. I'm sorry that's too much money for me. I will be in the doghouse when my wife finds out that I purchased a keyboard for that kind of money. Very nice keyboard though.

My wife can sleep through my typing when she is in deep sleep but halfway there she can't go to sleep. Although she is one of those people that can fall asleep with the tv on.

I was also concerned about the feel of the keys regarding the Filco keyboard. Is it that bad? I heard the Das keyboard keys are better than the Filco.

Also wondering how much of an increase will I see with my typing? I know it can vary from all kinds of people but just looking for an average.

Thanks again.

Offline washuai

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 23:29:43 »
The Filco keys are not that bad, in fact they are not bad at all.  They just aren't special, unless you consider the coating special.  Just because we nit pick that they are coated, thin and what type of plastic they are, does not mean they are bad.  If you have the money to replace them, then you can get extra key features.  If not, then you can rejoice that the keys are keeping down the cost of the board, in order that you can enjoy what it offers. The keys are already gonna last longer than Logitech, Saitek, Razer, etc.  
Although, I have blank keys, so really the only thing they're gonna do is go shiny some day, which all keys do.  I want to replace my Filco keys, because I want to, not because I need to.  That is an important distinction.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline jc0481

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 22:17:36 »
Well I did it. I purchased the Filco keyboard. It was Model: FKB104M/EB.
I hope it was worth it.

I am a bit concerned about the LED lights in the keyboard. Do I have to put some kind of  tape so dim the lights? Not sure what to do with that problem.

I will keep the Microsoft Curve keyboard in case my wife can't sleep to my late night typing. Thanks again.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 22:20:21 »
It's a great keyboard, you'll love it.  People pick at details, but it is a truly great keyboard.  If  you don't like the LED's, cover them with electrical tape.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline lmnop

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 23:54:54 »
Quote from: jc0481;185132
Well I did it. I purchased the Filco keyboard. It was Model: FKB104M/EB.
I hope it was worth it.

I am a bit concerned about the LED lights in the keyboard. Do I have to put some kind of  tape so dim the lights? Not sure what to do with that problem.

I will keep the Microsoft Curve keyboard in case my wife can't sleep to my late night typing. Thanks again.

get a new wife and a bottle of clear nail polish.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 00:03:19 »
>If the LEDs are on much you're doing it wrong.

I use TTL chip to reverse logic: my LEDs glow when the lock is off.

My eyes, the goggles, they do nothing.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 00:58:26 »
If your MS Comfort Curve 2000 is too loud, you may get more mileage looking for a quieter rubber membrane/chiclet keyboard.

The comfort curve 2000 makes like, zero sound. Probably the quietest board I've ever used, including laptops. I don't like the curve, though. Curious to see how the Filco works out for sound. He'll probably like it enough that he'll work something out if it's too noisy.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 07:49:36 »
The lights are only ridiculous if you stare down into them.  If you are at an angle where this is a problem you're definitely doing it wrong.  They are pretty bright, though.  When the lights are out, you can see the LEDs' light on the ceiling.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 08:08:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;185275
The lights are only ridiculous if you stare down into them.  If you are at an angle where this is a problem you're definitely doing it wrong.  They are pretty bright, though.  When the lights are out, you can see the LEDs' light on the ceiling.

that would be funny. put an overlay over the LED and make the batman sign on the ceiling....
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 08:20:04 »
That's funny.  I bet you could, though.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 08:27:56 »
ripster?

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2010, 08:35:22 by bigpook »
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline jc0481

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 23:41:42 »
I am typing this on my brand spanking new keyboard. I have noticed I type faster with this keyboard than any other keyboard before it. (Sorry I can't drop the wife) anyways my wife used it and  her only complain from it. that it was loud but it feels good to the touch.

Typing in the Colemak layout with this keyboard is like a match made in heaven. You know the LED lights don't bug me that much at all.

I would love to get the Kinesis  keyboard someday. Hopefully when I get a bonus at work I will probably get it.

Just one question will I ever need to pop off the keys for some reason? The only thing I can think about is to clean the keyboard. What do I need to do in order to pop off the keys on this keyboard?

Thanks to this forum for my purchase.

Offline SpatiallyAware

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 07:34:08 »
I wish I'd bought a nice mechanical keyboard YEARS ago - particularly when I was writing papers and programming for school.

I view a nice keyboard in the same category as a LCD or speakers...  It will outlast that $500 videocard and $1000 computer.  I've used the same LCD for about 4 years now (mmmm IPS), speakers usually last me about 5 before I get silly and upgrade. (mmmm audioengine)

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 12:13:39 »
Quote from: didjamatic;182989
How loud it is depends on how you type.  Many people bottom out on cherry brown switches and it can be loud... but in time you learn not to bottom them out.

My Majestouch Brown is my hands down favorite keyboard. It only sounds quiet to me when I've been using one of my other non-dome boards, but once I get used to it again as my daily driver, there are two sounds that seem to stand out the most and these two sounds make it not a very quiet board to me.

• The spacebar makes considerable noise even if you don't bottom out. The rebound snap is just as loud as the bottom out noise if not slightly louder.
  • I think it'd be nearly impossible to not bottom out at all on a Cherry Brown unless you're so careful that you're only typing 20 wpm.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 12:22:50 »
Quote from: itlnstln;185275

I had a strange experience with my supernova Filco lights last night. Those LED lights are never on because my lock keys are remapped to other keys so I completely forget that they're there.

My wife was out so I was the only person home and the house was very very quiet. The sun had gone down while I was working on something and my office went completely dark when I rebooted my computer when my monitor went blank.

Right as my computer starts up again, I get up to turn on a light and at that precise moment I see multiple shadows on the walls and the ceiling that look like silhouettes of people. Being that I had been the only person home for a while, seeing all these silhouettes pop up out of nowhere scared the **** out of me.

Damn Filco LED lights.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 15:37:58 »
I always liked the example Manyak posted. http://www.overclock.net/8790019-post16.html

It's a bit simplified but consider this. Had you bought a mechanical 18 months ago, since you bought the non-NKRO version at 109. 109/1.6= $68.125. Let's say you use that keyboard for another 19 years.

109/19=$5.7-$5.8.

It's a long term thing if you can't afford it no one is telling you to buy it, if money is something that is hard to come by, it can get pretty expensive.

Since you did buy it; learn to use the browns more efficiently as they are noisy due to bottoming out.

Offline imsto

• * Vendor
    • imsto.cn
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 10:26:18 »
you will not use those dome keyboard once you have got a mechnical one.
imsto.cn
imsto's AiKB Taobao Shop
IBM Model M*3, IBM M13,M5, IBM with balls.Cherry   3000  3494 3700 4100*6 700*2 11900 8113 DAS4 TG3 KBC PokerDucky09Ducky1087 apple pink alps Ducky bull,tiger,rabbit,dragon version No:0000002

Offline washuai

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 23:05:19 »
Quote from: imsto;189538
you will not use those dome keyboard once you have got a mechnical one.

I have a mechanical keyboard and I use a rubber chicklet at work (my choice).  Of course, the alternative is other rubber domes as far as I know and I'm too cheap to buy a board for myself.  Even if they expense it for me later, I'm not sure I could stand to part with the mechanical in the future, lol.  I should put in a request for a Kinesis or Topre, just in case.  I really messed up my last ergo evaluation, they were willing to talk a new board, if I was unhappy with my current one.  Too bad I don't lie.

✐Intuos or Cintiq