Author Topic: [IC] TMO50 keyboard  (Read 159782 times)

Offline vewy_nice

Re: [IC] TMO50 keyboard
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 08:50:44 »
Thet "Elemento" keyboard on Zfrontier had a "half-plate"
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1674/0405/products/Elemento_FR-87_IC_W1.jpg?v=1518985694

So I don't think it will be as bad as you're expecting.
I don't think they'd make a decision like that for such a fancy board if it'd make it feel like typing on little keycap-shaped turds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 08:52:44 by vewy_nice »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 10:58:44 »
The importance of a plate has been overhyped and therefore exagerated. A simple basic PCB is more than satisfactory as a support for typing, mechanically-wise. There is no engineering reason to use a superstrong material for a keyboard plate, while the load it should be stand against to is as low as fingers typing. Plastics are widely used in automotive and aerospace applications even in mechanically demanding applications, that it is hilarious to be concern by an acrylic plate in such small device that will be holded by an strong aluminum frame.  :thumb:

Edit: Unless you have hammers instead of fingers...
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 11:03:51 by ideus »

Offline flameray

« Reply #302 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 13:26:44 »
Haha this keeb looks adorable for some reason

Offline MMKB

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 15:49:22 »

Forgot if I asked before  :-[ but is there a reason that the bottom row is asymmetric? The blocker on the left is 1.5u while the blocker on the right seems 2.5u.

Other than this, if the bezels are more 'robust' this would look kickass!

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 15:53:25 »
Show Image

Forgot if I asked before  :-[ but is there a reason that the bottom row is asymmetric? The blocker on the left is 1.5u while the blocker on the right seems 2.5u.

Other than this, if the bezels are more 'robust' this would look kickass!
Because that makes it HHKB-esque. 🤷
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 16:31:14 »
Hey guys!

Was a busy week and so couldn't jump into the discussions earlier.

So regarding the big home row cutout - well, it looks weird but it's due to the layout support. I've designed the plate fixture points so that it's sturdy screwed down and also you have to keep in mind that there's a PCB with PCB mount switch support. I assure you that it'll be fine and not "out of control" flexy as the switches sits on and fits into a PCB that's robust enough. It just looks a bit weird, yes. Also switches clip in the plate so they are both fixed to the plate and the PCB. BTW, there's only 1mm gap between the bottom part of the case and switch pins so even you smashthat like button the keys, there's not a lot of room underneath.

About the asymmetric bottom. Yes, it's HHKB-esque but it stems from my typing style and preference. I've owned two boards - a 40% and an HHKB. The 40% had a full bottom row and it was pain for me to use the corner keys for stuff like layers or even standard mods. When I used an HHKB, I completely didn't miss corner keys and also it just felt more natural not to do some weird stretches and curls with my pinkies. Why it's not symmetric? Well, while designing the layout I checked where my thumbs are located and so my left thumb is just under "V" and my right (which isn't used unless I type on a 40%)  is located in between but slightly to the right under "N" and "M" keys. So if I shift the bottom row and make it symmetrical, it's just not comfortable for me anymore.

Also thank YOU ALL all for the activity and quality discussion. I truly am grateful for the activity this thread is getting and am more than surprised to see this board getting that much attention given it's size, layout and idea. I never imagined that this project would become something so serious and gather so much interest by the community. I can't wait to make this a reality for you. :)
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #306 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 17:30:26 »
Well make it happen then and quickly :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 17:37:37 »
Why it's not symmetric? Well, while designing the layout I checked where my thumbs are located and so my left thumb is just under "V" and my right (which isn't used unless I type on a 40%)  is located in between but slightly to the right under "N" and "M" keys. So if I shift the bottom row and make it symmetrical, it's just not comfortable for me anymore.

Just wanted to highlight the reason I am so excited for this this has been exactly what I've experienced with keyboards as well.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline ZROGST

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 17:51:24 »
I will be buying into this GB when available for alum top/bottom, pcb, and brass plate (and stickers, duh)!  Very well thought out and a beautiful looking render. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #309 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 18:52:52 »
Why it's not symmetric? Well, while designing the layout I checked where my thumbs are located and so my left thumb is just under "V" and my right (which isn't used unless I type on a 40%)  is located in between but slightly to the right under "N" and "M" keys. So if I shift the bottom row and make it symmetrical, it's just not comfortable for me anymore.

Just wanted to highlight the reason I am so excited for this this has been exactly what I've experienced with keyboards as well.

Let the peasants the symetry. Off-centered is for prince's eyes.

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:40:31 »
The update looks great! Very informative. Hopefully the company gets back to you about anodized samples so we can see a comparison between the pantone coloring and the anodizing.

Definitely want to chime in that the bottom row asymmetry is preferable for me as well.

Offline whytwokay

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 20:01:05 »
Can't wait for the GB! The colors look great! They're all pretty unique, and it'll be a tough decision picking just one ;)

Offline meepmeep

• meep meep meep, meep meep meep. Meep!
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 21:25:13 »
Im totally in for green

Offline godinjointform

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 22:36:05 »
Glad you're sticking to your vision, funder. Part of what makes the board so attractive is that it doesn't conform to what most small boards look like, while allowing for the keycap/artisan customization that a lot of us cherish so dearly  ;D
Can't wait to see how the color samples come out!

Offline MMKB

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 23:42:01 »

Thanks for explaining the thought process behind this. Maybe it was a little ambiguous the way I put it. I was thinking if, while keeping the spacebar where it is, we can have two keys on both sides of the spacebar. If it’s because you wanted fewer keys at the corner for better reachability, I totally appreciate that decision too.

Offline jlee755

« Reply #315 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 01:32:17 »
As the others have said, I respect that you've decided to stick to your design preferences! Looking forward to the buy.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 02:23:47 »
Thank YOU for bringing this concept to us and putting so much work in, Funderburker. I really appreciated hearing your design motivations too. This is such an engaging project -- can't wait to see it come to fruition!

Offline kmfmppl

« Reply #317 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 11:25:57 »
Green + brass, gonna be glorious :D

Offline Ammomruoy

« Reply #318 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:13:30 »
Little cute keyboard. I'm in :)

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #319 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:49:53 »
Not sure how I missed this IC before, but now that I've seen it I want in! :thumb: I love the design of this board & think it would make for a fun project. Any word on a US proxy yet?

Offline omgkittiesyay

« Reply #320 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 14:15:01 »
Been stalking lil tmo since the beginning, can't wait!

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 17:24:30 »
Okay y'all help me choose. Which colour do you reckon would go best with enjoypbt valentine and stuff? 

At the moment I'm thinking just silver because it's gonna go with everything, but I really can't decide.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 17:29:37 »
Okay y'all help me choose. Which colour do you reckon would go best with enjoypbt valentine and stuff? 

At the moment I'm thinking just silver because it's gonna go with everything, but I really can't decide.

Share a picture, so the guys can share their opinions.

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 17:39:41 »

It's pink on white! I'm still waiting for it to arrive from originative  :( but here's someone else's album featuring a nice artisan: https://imgur.com/gallery/dJ8mO

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #324 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 20:27:00 »

It's pink on white! I'm still waiting for it to arrive from originative  :( but here's someone else's album featuring a nice artisan: https://imgur.com/gallery/dJ8mO

I think the silver or the dark grey would be great options for this keyset!

Offline lizardsticks

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 07:35:34 »
Yeah so I'm thinking I'll be grabbing Subtle Sage, Brass Plate and the Polycarb bottom.

It's also perfect for me that the GB date was pushed to early/mid July cuz I get paid end of June  ;D.

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 07:48:36 »

I was leaning towards silver, but dark grey is a real good call I kinda forgot about it

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 10:53:24 »

I was leaning towards silver, but dark grey is a real good call I kinda forgot about it

The grays are neutral and elegant colors, maybe a bit boring but in a nice way.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 14:38:53 »
Agreed. I like a more "boring" and muted color on the case when your caps already provide the flair. Add too much flair and you get Laser  :))
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 14:55:01 »
Imho neutral and toned down colors are always the right approach for keyboards. Personally I wouldn't match a lot of keycap sets with grey though, rather have a silver keyboard. Matches with more sets if you ask me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:17:51 »
Agree with you both guys. I am of the boring type as well.  :thumb:

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #331 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:19:41 »
will be going for silver. xda rams alphas are going to be on mine

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #332 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:02:51 »
Down for Silver or Sage.

Offline ZROGST

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:09:25 »
I really, really want a small run of GMK9009 for this board as rendered by PyroL.  It looks really slick.

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:12:22 »
I really, really want a small run of GMK9009 for this board as rendered by PyroL.  It looks really slick.

I was just thinking 9009 would look great on this  :thumb:

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #335 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 22:56:00 »
The importance of a plate has been overhyped and therefore exagerated. A simple basic PCB is more than satisfactory as a support for typing, mechanically-wise. There is no engineering reason to use a superstrong material for a keyboard plate, while the load it should be stand against to is as low as fingers typing. Plastics are widely used in automotive and aerospace applications even in mechanically demanding applications, that it is hilarious to be concern by an acrylic plate in such small device that will be holded by an strong aluminum frame.  :thumb:

agree

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 09:56:36 »

agree

While it may be unnecessary, there is definitely IMO different feel to typing on a plate vs typing on a PCB, especially if the plate is built into the case.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #337 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 22:16:02 »

agree

While it may be unnecessary, there is definitely IMO different feel to typing on a plate vs typing on a PCB, especially if the plate is built into the case.

Of course, there is a difference with-vs-no-plate boards. However, plate materials make no difference when it is top mounted in a rigid aluminum frame, like the TMO.

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #338 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 23:05:26 »

agree

Of course, there is a difference with-vs-no-plate boards. However, plate materials make no difference when it is top mounted in a rigid aluminum frame, like the TMO.

I actually disagree.  The flex of the plate is even more accentuated when it's top mounted.  Steel, Carbon Fiber, and Brass are very stiff (But even those three are different feeling because the material absorbs the bottom out impact) compared to polycarbonate and aluminum. 

Also the sound changes. 
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline omgkittiesyay

« Reply #339 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 12:21:35 »
Which materials are everyone planning for each part?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #340 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 12:25:45 »

agree

They make a massive difference. Steel, Carbon Fiber, Aluminum, Brass, and Polycarbonate all have different feelings.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #341 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 12:59:51 »
I have 2 Tina cases, one with a brass plate one with a stainless steel. There is a real difference in feel between them.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #342 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 13:07:39 »
I have 2 Tina cases, one with a brass plate one with a stainless steel. There is a real difference in feel between them.
can you describe it?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #343 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 13:08:43 »
Wanted to update everyone with some real evidence that something's happening! :D

These are the sample or prototype (actually Founders Edition) TMO50's that are currently produced in China. Should have some more updates in next couple of weeks and then finished boards in July. If all is well, GB will start as soon as Founders do quality control and approve. :)

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline omgkittiesyay

« Reply #344 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 13:29:21 »
exciting! thanks for the sneak peek funder

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #345 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 13:45:55 »

agree

They make a massive difference. Steel, Carbon Fiber, Aluminum, Brass, and Polycarbonate all have different feelings.

Thank you for getting my point.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #346 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 14:09:48 »

That is an incredibly opinionated statement to make, and I for one can say I absolutely despise the feeling of a plate-less build. It may be "satisfactory" for you, but I can't even type on one without feeling the urge to toss it accross the room. Even an aluminum plate has far too much flex for me tastes.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #347 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:03:21 »
can you describe it?

The SS has more bounce to them. Now to be fair, there is also a difference in switches (tealios on the ss versus box blacks on the brass plate), but even with that in mind I can feel a difference. Brass feels way more solid to me.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:04:07 »
Wanted to update everyone with some real evidence that something's happening! :D

These are the sample or prototype (actually Founders Edition) TMO50's that are currently produced in China. Should have some more updates in next couple of weeks and then finished boards in July. If all is well, GB will start as soon as Founders do quality control and approve. :)

Show Image

Awesome news!

Maybe I've missed it, but do you have any idea what the price would be approximately?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #349 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:56:57 »

Show Image

Awesome news!

Maybe I've missed it, but do you have any idea what the price would be approximately?

It has not been defined yet. As far as I know.