Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 371021 times)

Offline johngodsmith

Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (in production)
« Reply #800 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 03:53:26 »
Hey guys, OKAY, it's really hard but I have to inform you about another little delay of about two weeks. please read for yourself:

(Attachment Link)

for all who don't understand german, I asked last week if I can plan picking up the parts. the answer is basically that the parts are not finished at beadblasting and expected to be back around the 9th (yesterday) and will then be brought to anodizing which "normally takes around eight days". This would mean next week but that week is easter holiday so I would expect more like the week after that.

we are really close now, I CAN FEEL IT!

as reparation I want to raffle out two more cases. That would be three cases in total because one was already said to be raffled out but hasen't been jet. will apply to only the first 150 orders, all later are quite recent and haven't had to wait that long in comparison. will do the raffle once I have the cases.

bear with me guys!

oh damn, I had never expected it would drag out that long that I would feel the need to post screenshots of my communication.

Thanks for keeping us posted with the updates Chris, two weeks is no biggie at all.

Glad everything is moving along, very excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #801 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 03:58:34 »
Thanks for the update.

I think the TEX ADA keycaps would look exceptional with this case.
I like keyboards

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #802 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 09:20:03 »
Updates and transparency in communication have been top notch in this GB, so the delays haven't felt anywhere near as bad as some other GBs I've been part of where you kind of just cross your fingers and hope it shows up within a year of the estimated/promised delivery date :) Thanks again for all the work, looking forward to the finished products!
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #803 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 04:14:23 »
BTW for 65% buyers should check out this small GB for a 65% PCB  :thumb:

https://maartenwut.com/product/ta-65/

thanks for the hint! just ordered it.
supports my favorite bottom row for 65%:
1.5 / 1 / 1.5 / 6 / 1.5 / 1.5 / 1 / 1 / 1

btw, let me point out that the SKB65 plate does support this layout as well, although at the time I made it, there was no 65% pcb that supported it. I did it anyway in hope a pcb would come along which would as well. nice it happened.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2019, 04:21:55 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #804 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 06:09:22 »
Kinda off-topic but is anyone planning on doing a hotswap build for the SKB75? I'm trying to decide on a PCB cause I know not all of them are compatible with holtites. The only thing I'd really want is south-facing LED's so there's no interference with cherry profile keycaps.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #805 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 07:55:01 »
I'm not a fan of hotswap with a plate-mounted setup in theory, since the switch pins' friction will be the only thing (collectively) holding the PCB in place with no mechanical fasteners.

I think this got discussed a while back in this thread, but not sure if anyone had direct experience with plate-mount hot-swap. The mechanical clips on the switches only attach to the plate, so security of the PCB staying in place (and issues like getting misaligned with movement, pulling from USB cable, stabilizers coming out of place) are all resting on how tight the holtites are, or in the case of Kailh hotswaps how strong the springs are in the sockets.

Only workaround I would think of (if using holtites like mentioned) is direct soldering a few strategically placed switches at corners/edges of the PCB where you want the flex to be minimal to "anchor" the PCB in place relative to the plate, and then hotswap the rest of the board.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline Voxis

« Reply #806 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:44:28 »
Yeah, holtites  kinda seems like a bad idea here. However I've had several boards with kailh sockets + 5 pins switches and it works really well.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #807 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:47:16 »
His original question was about the SKB75 as hotswap, and to the best of my knowledge, no existing kailh hotswap 75% PCBs exist at the moment. He'd be limited to the holtite option only, which I've always heard inconsistent things about, at best, and that's not even in the context of securely connecting and retaining a PCB in a plate-mount setup.
More

Offline menuhin

« Reply #808 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 14:42:42 »
Kinda off-topic but is anyone planning on doing a hotswap build for the SKB75? I'm trying to decide on a PCB cause I know not all of them are compatible with holtites. The only thing I'd really want is south-facing LED's so there's no interference with cherry profile keycaps.

I'm planning to build a hotswap SKB75, and I think Mill Max probably fit most of the switch pinholes on the KBD75 PCB.

For sure soldered on switches are the most solid building method. However, when a build is plate-mounted, especially with a case with top-mount or a sandwich-mount construction, I do not see super big cons of having a hotswappable PCB as the PCB itself is not anchored and the switches (for the alphanumeric keys) are held unusually tightly by the plate. The real cons will be at the mod-keys when the plate is designed to fit quite a few mod layout options and are not offering support to the mod switches.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #809 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 19:08:38 »
I'm not a fan of hotswap with a plate-mounted setup in theory, since the switch pins' friction will be the only thing (collectively) holding the PCB in place with no mechanical fasteners.

I think this got discussed a while back in this thread, but not sure if anyone had direct experience with plate-mount hot-swap. The mechanical clips on the switches only attach to the plate, so security of the PCB staying in place (and issues like getting misaligned with movement, pulling from USB cable, stabilizers coming out of place) are all resting on how tight the holtites are, or in the case of Kailh hotswaps how strong the springs are in the sockets.

Only workaround I would think of (if using holtites like mentioned) is direct soldering a few strategically placed switches at corners/edges of the PCB where you want the flex to be minimal to "anchor" the PCB in place relative to the plate, and then hotswap the rest of the board.

Hmm yeah I see where you're coming from, most hotswap builds I've seen are tray-mount, I'll definitely have to think about it. I'll be getting 2 cases so I think I'll do a regular build for one and maybe try and do this hotswap as a little experiment on the side. I appreciate the help Zuology, thanks man

I'm planning to build a hotswap SKB75, and I think Mill Max probably fit most of the switch pinholes on the KBD75 PCB.

For sure soldered on switches are the most solid building method. However, when a build is plate-mounted, especially with a case with top-mount or a sandwich-mount construction, I do not see super big cons of having a hotswappable PCB as the PCB itself is not anchored and the switches (for the alphanumeric keys) are held unusually tightly by the plate. The real cons will be at the mod-keys when the plate is designed to fit quite a few mod layout options and are not offering support to the mod switches.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, the mod-keys are what worries me most. What we could also do is, custom order a single-layout plate and I feel like that'll be a lot better, in terms of support. I think Plastik offered to send the plate CAD files so it's definitely possible.

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2019, 19:10:10 by johngodsmith »

Offline IchiBalzac

• AKA MKUltraCorp
« Reply #810 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 12:21:54 »
If anyone ordered a Boardwalk plate and wants hotswap, let me know.  I've put Mill Max in about a dozen Boardwalks now and have about 30 of them on hand that I can modify if you want one.  Full job takes 190 sockets (lots of options) and about an hour and a half to knock out.  I'd only charge cost of 21 cents per socket plus 30 bucks for my time if anyone is interested.  I'll also have a few extra SKB60 in Boardwalk and XD75RE configurations if anyone missed out and wants one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 April 2019, 13:47:42 by IchiBalzac »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #811 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 12:47:58 »

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, the mod-keys are what worries me most. What we could also do is, custom order a single-layout plate and I feel like that'll be a lot better, in terms of support. I think Plastik offered to send the plate CAD files so it's definitely possible.

Plate CAD files would be super useful. I'm particularly interested in designing my own custom Boardwalk plate, since the boardwalk plate options basically have a super wide socket for all the different spacebar configurations.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline Soft_Sama

« Reply #812 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 17:41:45 »

Plate CAD files would be super useful. I'm particularly interested in designing my own custom Boardwalk plate, since the boardwalk plate options basically have a super wide socket for all the different spacebar configurations.

Yes release plate files please! :D

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #813 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 03:37:31 »
It's close, I can feel it!  :)  :)  :)
I like keyboards

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #814 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 05:01:29 »
It's close, I can feel it!  :)  :)  :)

Yes so ready haha :p, PCB inbound, plates inbound, caps inbound, the voice in my head calling for another SKB wkl 60 top, New iron on the way, dampening material on the way, plastiks idea for "gasket O rings" to be exploded.

Eehh @plastik you need help to pack up boxes?  :p

Offline oluigenuma

« Reply #815 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 06:40:55 »
If your location is somewhere in Franconia, I‘d love to help you with packaging too!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline Zuology

« Reply #816 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:07:50 »
FYI - I think the term for the sandwiched o-rings mount has been dubbed "burger mount" in other circles. I like the tasty name, but I am a fat american fwiw.
More

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #817 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:52:08 »
FYI - I think the term for the sandwiched o-rings mount has been dubbed "burger mount" in other circles. I like the tasty name, but I am a fat american fwiw.

Link to aforementioned oring mounting

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #818 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 11:56:26 »

Link to aforementioned oring mounting

upas has been calling it that in his Satisfaction 75 and Brutal 60 IC threads IIRC

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #819 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 12:01:41 »
Check out some ketchup details here

Offline Zuology

« Reply #820 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 18:23:16 »
Check out some ketchup details here

How about this mustard :D I floated the idea back in the IC, though I'm hardly the first to think of it, surely.
More

Offline 1corazon

« Reply #821 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 18:13:15 »
CANT WAIT FOR THIS MATE !!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy to wait to make sure things are perfect.

Hope your well.

Kind regards

Reynold

Offline macken

« Reply #822 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 19:17:12 »
Looking forward to this!

Assuming the latest timeline works out I am gonna do some keeb building on my short and late winterholiday. I already have the kbdfans 75 programmed to my liking and pulse sa is also lined up for the skb75. Switches will be box navy.

I would love an update on at what stage the production is now? Are we at shipping when easter holiday is over?  Will it be late april or early may?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2019, 04:42:07 by macken »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #823 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 11:05:59 »
Herr Plastik! How goes things?

« Reply #824 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 11:20:07 »
The cases arrived at the anodizing facility at 9th of april. Last week some questions came up regarding the propper attaching of the parts for when they immerse. We cleared that quickly, so no probleme there. Now I expect the parts to be finished this week!

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #825 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 12:16:07 »
The cases arrived at the anodizing facility at 9th of april. Last week some questions came up regarding the propper attaching of the parts for when they immerse. We cleared that quickly, so no probleme there. Now I expect the parts to be finished this week!
Excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline FSund

« Reply #826 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 12:38:32 »

Exciting news! Seems like it will be a race between SKB65 and SPACE65 to see whoever arrives first :D
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #827 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 13:58:47 »
Excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+ 1!!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #828 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 00:37:40 »
Now that's an update I didn't expect. Very excited.

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #829 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 06:54:00 »
IT is coming!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #830 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 03:00:51 »
I've not bought any keyboard stuff in over 3 months! This is going to be amazing.

« Reply #831 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 08:56:09 »
here are peeks into two of many boxes I got so far. car was too small for all, will get the rest later or tomorrow.
can't really believe it myself that they are really finished!

Offline macken

« Reply #832 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 10:20:59 »
here are peeks into two of many boxes I got so far. car was too small for all, will get the rest later or tomorrow.

Nice! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #833 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 10:36:09 »
Very excited! :)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #834 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 10:38:49 »
Yes! Next step: don't sleep on Friday until all are packed (and do intl orders first  :p)

Offline Coloneljesus

« Reply #835 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 10:47:15 »

This is fantastic news! Have you inspected them already?

We happy?

Offline okidna

« Reply #836 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 11:46:14 »

Fantastic news! Hopefully the QC process goes smoothly.

Offline Draic

« Reply #837 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 12:01:28 »
Yes! Next step: don't sleep on Friday until all are packed (and do intl orders first  :p)
no, don't send mine too early as I am away for the whole next week x)

Offline Shihatsu

« Reply #838 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 14:30:01 »
OMFG I am not ready :x

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #839 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 14:49:43 »
Awesome! Hopefully all of them are up to par and no one has to wait for their cases in case (heh) a few mishaps have happened to individual items.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline laserbeamspewpew

« Reply #840 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 15:05:29 »
Time to lube some switches, *****es.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #841 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 18:11:43 »
Creams, Linjars, BOX Pink or holy pandas?

Someone decide for me, quick!

Offline rondg

« Reply #842 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 18:13:49 »
Creams, Linjars, BOX Pink or holy pandas?

Someone decide for me, quick!

Make a board for each switch  ;D

Offline kekstee

« Reply #843 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 08:08:12 »
  • none of the above.

Great the see the boards have been delivered! I really have to get that Alps plate going now :D

« Reply #844 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 09:46:28 »
These keyboards look fantastic and op showed real commitment and genius. Too bad I discovered this hobby too late.

« Reply #845 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 09:49:58 »
now I have all of it!
damn, just a small box of of steel plates feels so much heavier than a big box with alu case parts.
happy with the NOT shiny plates.

Offline ampt

« Reply #846 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:14:56 »
now I have all of it!
damn, just a small box of of steel plates feels so much heavier than a big box with alu case parts.
happy with the NOT shiny plates.

I think I see mine!  :D :D

Offline wd9001

• Whoms't | 22nd century schizoid man
« Reply #847 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:02:46 »
Hey PlastikSchnittstelle, I've ordered a 60% hhkb layout but would like a standard 60%. Would I be able to get a swap?

I really have to get that Alps plate going now :D
Would you be able to share with me the plate file? I would love to make an alps build!
Lunar AEK| Klippe R1 |
Klippe S (production)|
GSKT (Pre-Invoice)

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #848 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:10:31 »
are there any extras  :D I filled out the google form but I'm assuming you will deal with those after the GB has shipped.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #849 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:03:46 »
Hey PlastikSchnittstelle, I've ordered a 60% hhkb layout but would like a standard 60%. Would I be able to get a swap?

I really have to get that Alps plate going now :D
Would you be able to share with me the plate file? I would love to make an alps build!

I think you're a few months too late. Also, please be weary of making alps plates on this board - the plate is much thicker than 1.2 mm, so getting stabilizer clips held in is going to be an issue. Also, alps PCBs for standard layouts other than 60% are few and far between right now.