Author Topic: Clack Valuation Thread  (Read 932853 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Clack Valuation Thread
« Reply #1050 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:12:00 »
Compare them to ones without markings, look for consistencies, inconsistencies, pay attention to the minor details. Do all the keys feel the same way when you put them on your keyboard?? Do the topre CCs click/snap into place?? Are the colors where they're supposed to be??

Variations with the layering of candy corn and julysicles are normal. I know it's tough to have this level of scrutiny for CC, but given the price they're selling for, its important to understand what you are getting; even with major brands there are A grade products and B grade products and are usually priced accordingly, similar to F2s, they're all priced lower for more reasons than just the color.

Do you have an example to show? They look great to me. I've never heard of "A grade" or "B grade" with clacks. That's what F2's are for and they have a hole drilled through them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1051 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:13:43 »
Compare them to ones without markings, look for consistencies, inconsistencies, pay attention to the minor details. Do all the keys feel the same way when you put them on your keyboard?? Do the topre CCs click/snap into place?? Are the colors where they're supposed to be??

Variations with the layering of candy corn and julysicles are normal. I know it's tough to have this level of scrutiny for CC, but given the price they're selling for, its important to understand what you are getting; even with major brands there are A grade products and B grade products and are usually priced accordingly, similar to F2s, they're all priced lower for more reasons than just the color.

More
What sort of clacks could I expect to get in trades for these. Single colours/bis/tris/etc. They're all newer/rarely seen clacks, so I'm not too sure what to expect.

Topre candy corn skull + candy corn fn
MX ice blue translucent
MX lime green GID

Whatever you can get, not all CV keys have the same quality as the CCs without the CV markings.

Huh?
I also agree with Huh? What do you mean quality wise?

It seems like a fair number of them were test caps or caps that would have otherwise been sold as an F2.

If these are what would otherwise be F2 caps, it's unfortunate that they all cost more than usual.

I haven't really seen anything other than ekw's comment to indicate that the quality of these is sub-par though.  Until I see some evidence I will leave my pitchfork where it is.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1052 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:18:46 »
ekw808, did you even Clackvent bro? :))

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1053 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:38:49 »
More
More
What sort of clacks could I expect to get in trades for these. Single colours/bis/tris/etc. They're all newer/rarely seen clacks, so I'm not too sure what to expect.

MX ice blue translucent
MX lime green GID

Whatever you can get, not all CV keys have the same quality as the CCs without the CV markings.

Huh?

It seems like a fair number of them were test caps or caps that would have otherwise been sold as an F2.

If these are what would otherwise be F2 caps, it's unfortunate that they all cost more than usual.

I haven't really seen anything other than ekw's comment to indicate that the quality of these is sub-par though.  Until I see some evidence I will leave my pitchfork where it is.

Well, it does seem like not all of them are a consistent color which, so that means either new colors, experimentations with colors, or ones held onto due to not matching the others, thus meeting F2 criteria. 

Personally, I have no problem with any of those answers.  Clack deserves to make money off his caps when people just turn around and sell them for two to ten times what they paid for them.  If that means making experiments or F2s normal cap prices, good on him for getting a part of that pie.  Do I like seeing higher prices?  Hell no, but since people have already decided that they're going to make the market what it is, I'm glad to see Clack at least getting a little bit more of that.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1054 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:07:24 »
ekw808, did you even Clackvent bro? :))

I for sure don't think he won 3  :rolleyes:

#OGcrew though
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1055 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:19:10 »
More
More

MX ice blue translucent
MX lime green GID

Huh?

Well, it does seem like not all of them are a consistent color which, so that means either new colors, experimentations with colors, or ones held onto due to not matching the others, thus meeting F2 criteria. 

Personally, I have no problem with any of those answers.  Clack deserves to make money off his caps when people just turn around and sell them for two to ten times what they paid for them.  If that means making experiments or F2s normal cap prices, good on him for getting a part of that pie.  Do I like seeing higher prices?  Hell no, but since people have already decided that they're going to make the market what it is, I'm glad to see Clack at least getting a little bit more of that.

+1

F2 Clacks could be said to be unique, as each one is subtly different from the mass-produced (ha!) version that they were originally intended to be.

Same with a lot of Clackvent keycaps - similar colours to existing runs, but subtly different in some way.  And quite a few completely new ones too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1056 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:39:39 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 08:34:50 by esoomenona »

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #1057 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:47:18 »
Here's an example of an inconsistency in the Clackvent caps that ekw is mentioning. This is an original Jack. This is a CV Jack. Look at the foreheads between the two. The latter is more reminiscent of a scull. Pretty much every multishot CC skull has had a consistent amount of color as can be seen on the former image.
Well that's unfortunate. Looks like the stem on the original skull broke off. Poor guy.
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1058 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:48:16 »
Was there a BS Jack ever before CV? I thought that was why you circumcised your Topre Jack, haha.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1059 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:56:45 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 08:34:41 by esoomenona »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1060 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 16:00:52 »
Was there a BS Jack ever before CV? I thought that was why you circumcised your Topre Jack, haha.

There wasn't. Make no mistake, I don't mean to take anything away from the cap itself. I'm upset that it now exists when I don't have any CCs. I would've loved to have owned it.

You seem to be mistaking what ekw is saying that these caps aren't great. They're still CCs, of course. But just like there are F2s which are marked a certain way, these caps are different and are marked as such.

It doesn't really matter that YOU (not you in particular, digi, but the general "you") don't feel that these differences make any difference. They DO matter to some people. If I had to choose between the Topre Jack I had and a Topre Jack that looks like that BS one, I would absolutely go for the former. The BS is special because it's the only(?) one, so it has that going for it.

This fancy perfect Clack world that some people seem to tout doesn't exist. These things are real, and they matter to some people. Not every CV clack is subject to it. And not every change will be a negative one. I can see how a CV clack may be perceived as being BETTER than a normal version. It's just the reality.

Right on, yea, I see what you mean.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #1061 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 18:11:30 »
There wasn't. Make no mistake, I don't mean to take anything away from the cap itself. I'm upset that it now exists when I don't have any CCs. I would've loved to have owned it.

You seem to be mistaking what ekw is saying that these caps aren't great. They're still CCs, of course. But just like there are F2s which are marked a certain way, these caps are different and are marked as such.

It doesn't really matter that YOU (not you in particular, digi, but the general "you") don't feel that these differences make any difference. They DO matter to some people. If I had to choose between the Topre Jack I had and a Topre Jack that looks like that BS one, I would absolutely go for the former. The BS is special because it's the only(?) one, so it has that going for it.

This fancy perfect Clack world that some people seem to tout doesn't exist. These things are real, and they matter to some people. Not every CV clack is subject to it. And not every change will be a negative one. I can see how a CV clack may be perceived as being BETTER than a normal version. It's just the reality.

+1

Sidebar: pretty sure this is the first time I've ever agreed with moose.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline Belfong

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1062 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 18:13:07 »
Another example will be the Drunken skull. I have a Topre Druken that has a faded face. It was appropriately marked as F2.

With Clackvent though, we see a lot more of these faded face Druken, usually they are $65 win and is accompanied by a Oktoberfest or a blank Oktoberfest (without the foam). Some of the skull face are so faded that you can't even see the whites of it. I'd think these are F2, but in Clackvent it wasn't marked as such.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Old enough to know better
Clack Valuation Thread
« Reply #1063 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 19:13:47 »
Yeah, gotta back up the Nubs on this one. My Globe Blue Clackvent clack has a starry eye:

Seeing the CV caps roll in I've felt over and over like CC was clearing out his warehouse of one-offs, slightly "different" samples, and outliers. They're still Clacks but maybe don't fit it with others in their series or color way.

In a sense, it makes me sad because i fear it's a sign of just how bad CC's situation was. He probably did CV planning on making new ones, and the you-know-what hit the fan, and he had to meet the orders already promised and paid for. Poor guy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 19:17:57 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1064 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 19:19:28 »

i noticed that BS Jack looked really bad compared to your topre jack. the color just seems so... washed. like you said, an f2 for sure.

maybe CC outsourced his production to k3ck to shut you ****ers up?

jkjk
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1065 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 19:29:03 »

jkjk

I know you're joking, but I do wonder if he planned on making new ones when he could but then saw the pitchforks and torches and people who weren't getting their Clacks and sold what he had in stock...
I'm back.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1066 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 19:57:32 »

jkjk

I know you're joking, but I do wonder if he planned on making new ones when he could but then saw the pitchforks and torches and people who weren't getting their Clacks and sold what he had in stock...

Hmm.. And don't forget a bunch of keys stolen from him as well.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1067 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 20:37:36 »

jkjk

What?  Seriously,  did he get robbed!?

I thought the clack man was just a God somewhere,  this kind of humanizes him.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1068 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:16:47 »

jkjk

Yeah, one of the members here (is it btctopre or Fire Brand, don't remember) file a PayPal communication during the time he was absent and CC replied that he was robbed and also have no access to his home or something. Wish my search-Fu is good. Perhaps someone can link again?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #1069 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:20:45 »

jkjk

Yeah, one of the members here (is it btctopre or Fire Brand, don't remember) file a PayPal communication during the time he was absent and CC replied that he was robbed and also have no access to his home or something. Wish my search-Fu is good. Perhaps someone can link again?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45955.msg1800669#msg1800669

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1070 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:27:29 »

jkjk

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45955.msg1800669#msg1800669

Damm!  I hope he's OK!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1071 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:39:26 »
Probably those stolen keys are super awesome and what we have are the leftovers.
And it's probably Gnome33 who did the illuminati markings. I guess marking is easy.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #1072 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:40:25 »
3love stole them
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1073 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:53:32 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1075 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 03:57:33 »

jkjk

Thing is he never said anything about that to me, so I personally would take it with a grain of salt, as when I contacted him afterwards he only said they where ready and he had been unwell, nothing about keys being stolen :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1076 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 04:24:05 »
Yep, Fire Brand, I mis-remembered you but it was btctopre and here is the link (thanks nmur) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45955.msg1800669#msg1800669

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #1077 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 12:58:59 »
How much for a Julysicle MX, Mochi MX, Candy Corn MX and Silver Topre Skull? Thinking of dropping out of the clack game  :-\

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1078 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 13:02:47 »

How much for a Julysicle MX, Mochi MX, Candy Corn MX and Silver Topre Skull? Thinking of dropping out of the clack game  :-\

RIP inbox
I'm back.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #1079 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 13:16:27 »
Prob like $135, $85, $165, $115, with net $50-75 more each if sold through eBay.

Can also abuse the addicts and prop prices up excessively high (3x above), one of them will buckle eventually.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #1080 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 13:44:02 »
Prob like $135, $85, $165, $115, with net $50-75 more each if sold through eBay.

Can also abuse the addicts and prop prices up excessively high (3x above), one of them will buckle eventually.
Thanks for the info!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1081 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 19:55:26 »
I just sold a key set. Have $100 in PP, will you sell the Mochi to me, Mr Rock?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1082 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 23:45:31 »
No sob story zone, but I've discovered that I need money for university equipment quite badly, otherwise I'd probably hold onto these for a while..

What are realistic values for the following?

Bright green GID MX
Ice blue trans MX
Candy corn skull + fn set topre

http://imgur.com/JTtJnUz,OLG7jrf,rYpEQHS

I'm not expecting ridiculous ebay prices, but I'm not expecting $65 each either (I'm an *******, I know..)
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1083 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 00:43:52 »
then I'll give u hunned bux for ice blue hue

good luck tho everyone flips their clacks in the end, don't feel bad
I love Elzy

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1084 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 01:31:27 »

good luck tho everyone flips their clacks in the end, don't feel bad

i offur wun hunn5 bux for ice blu

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1085 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 01:36:10 »

No sob story zone, but I've discovered that I need money for university equipment quite badly, otherwise I'd probably hold onto these for a while..

What are realistic values for the following?

Bright green GID MX
Ice blue trans MX
Candy corn skull + fn set topre

http://imgur.com/JTtJnUz,OLG7jrf,rYpEQHS

I'm not expecting ridiculous ebay prices, but I'm not expecting $65 each either (I'm an *******, I know..)

Many moneys. Just ask a high price and see if anyone bites! I'm sure you've gotten a plethora of PMs by now though. I'll give you a hundred for the corns, it's almost Halloween and I have a sweettooth!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1086 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 01:39:00 »

good luck tho everyone flips their clacks in the end

no they dont.
don't feel bad

yes feel bad.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1087 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 17:42:43 »
Topre Trophy Silver?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1088 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:41:52 »
20 dolla

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1089 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:02:04 »
Topre Trophy Silver?

I'll take it to go with my other. Fitty dolla or in addition to summer Santa chain.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1090 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:03:47 »
Topre Trophy Silver?

I'll take it to go with my other. Fitty dolla or in addition to summer Santa chain.
Not sure if I'm selling it, but I do need to make you that chain.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1091 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:12:34 »
Topre Trophy Silver?

I have no real use for chain. 

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1092 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:13:27 »
Topre Trophy Silver?

You mean you don't use the first one every day! :eek:

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1093 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:13:35 »

Topre Trophy Silver?
I trade you my Bro set

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1094 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:14:11 »

Topre Trophy Silver?
I trade you my Bro set
I traded mine for a V2 and some nubbs last year. :))

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1095 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:16:52 »
Topre Trophy Silver?

You mean you don't use the first one every day! :eek:

I live in Orange County.  I don't want to get shot by racist cops.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1096 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:47:27 »

Topre Trophy Silver?
I trade you my Bro set
I traded mine for a V2 and some nubbs last year. :))
and you probably regretted that decision and so my offer is now extremely attractive to you!

you want it!

i know!

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #1097 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 02:17:07 »
Topre Trophy Silver?
I guess between 150-175 (sorry nubs)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1098 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:38:19 »
Topre Trophy Silver?

With the stupid prices Bros have been selling on mechmarket recently, you could post a CC for 300 over there and have someone buy instantly.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #1099 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:12:25 »
Topre Trophy Silver?

With the stupid prices Bros have been selling on mechmarket recently, you could post a CC for 300 over there and have someone buy instantly.
Just because people are retarded, doesn't mean you'll get max profit everytime. I told a fair price, which I stand by.  If we keep your logic, then I can sell my red alert keyset for 800$ cause hoffman sold a keyset for 1k. Some people don't see this hoppy as maximizing profit.
Very busy with studies atm.