Author Topic: Clack Valuation Thread  (Read 932539 times)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • snoozing
Re: Clack Valuation Thread
« Reply #1150 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:55:40 »
Anyone here have an estimated value on a never-used Cherry MX Night Owl? I tried to search through the many pages of this thread before asking, but I didn't have any luck finding anything.
250 ish
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1151 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:10:59 »
Do you think Orangsicle or Revenge Red is the more uncommon color?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1152 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:36:55 »
I vote for Revenge Red as the more uncommon. But how can you tell Revenge Red and EK Red apart? As such, I'd prefer Orangesicle.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1153 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 05:49:57 »

I vote orangesicle.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1154 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 14:18:44 »

I vote orangesicle.

+1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #1155 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:27:44 »
Anyone here have an estimated value on a never-used Cherry MX Night Owl? I tried to search through the many pages of this thread before asking, but I didn't have any luck finding anything.
250 ish

So the only two answers I've seen in the past few days have been 300-500 and 250. So I should assume somwhere between 250-500? I guess median would be 375?
Head in the clouds.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1156 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:40:06 »
250 ish

So the only two answers I've seen in the past few days have been 300-500 and 250. So I should assume somwhere between 250-500? I guess median would be 375?

I thought the $300-500 range was a little outrageous, I would say anyone who would pay that much already has or has had this cap.

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #1157 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:44:21 »
250 ish

I thought the $300-500 range was a little outrageous, I would say anyone who would pay that much already has or has had this cap.

Thanks Spamray.
Head in the clouds.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #1158 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:45:17 »
How much does a bluetrape go for at the moment?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1159 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:32:01 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:07:25 by alienman82 »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1160 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:24:42 »

btctopre said $210 a couple months ago, that will probably get blown out of the water on eBay.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1161 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:59:57 »
250 ish

Don't you think that even $250 is outrageous for a small plastic keycap? I do,  but the reality is that you will be lucky to see anyone selling for 250, nor 300. If someone put their night owl for 250 their inbox would explode. 

My estimate was a little more aligned with the sales I have seen,  although those have not been many,  and they have been between some prominent members of this community.

I have seen candy corns going for $250.

But none of this means anything. What is something worth?  What someone will pay for it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1162 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:09:19 »
250 ish

Don't you think that even $250 is outrageous for a small plastic keycap? I do,  but the reality is that you will be lucky to see anyone selling for 250, nor 300. If someone put their night owl for 250 their inbox would explode. 

My estimate was a little more aligned with the sales I have seen,  although those have not been many,  and they have been between some prominent members of this community.

But none of this means anything. What is something worth?  What someone will pay for it.
And we all have our own experiences.

I've owned and sold/traded 4 different night owls representing MX, BS and Topre, not counting dozens of other clacks. It isn't exactly rare.

If the going rate was so high someone would have already pm'd and bought the one in question.

People are free to buy/sell/trade however they wish but it is setting unfair expectations on buyers and sellers to say caps are constantly worth $50 to $100+ more every time someone asks about one.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1163 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:17:23 »
250 ish

And we all have our own experiences.

I've owned and sold/traded 4 different night owls representing MX, BS and Topre, not counting dozens of other clacks. It isn't exactly rare.

If the going rate was so high someone would have already pm'd and bought the one in question.

People are free to buy/sell/trade however they wish but it is setting unfair expectations on buyers and sellers to say caps are constantly worth $50 to $100+ more every time someone asks about one.

There is one for sale?  At $250? I will buy it :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #1164 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:19:55 »
250 ish

You are exactly right, that the prices are outrageous.  You're also right, that the value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

Unfortunately, what we think and wish the prices were are irrelevant.  As long as people are paying those prices, they will stay inflated.

For $250-$300, there would be a ton of buy offers.  For $500, it would still sell, but with not as many offers.  It could even sell for $800, if the right buyer was desiring it at the time.

So, in the end, it's hard to put one number on the "value".
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1165 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:25:46 »
250 ish

You are exactly right, that the prices are outrageous.  You're also right, that the value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

Unfortunately, what we think and wish the prices were are irrelevant.  As long as people are paying those prices, they will stay inflated.

For $250-$300, there would be a ton of buy offers.  For $500, it would still sell, but with not as many offers.  It could even sell for $800, if the right buyer was desiring it at the time.

All I'm reading is I sold most of my clacks for way too cheap. :p :))

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #1166 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:30:31 »
250 ish

All I'm reading is I sold most of my clacks for way too cheap. :p :))

You *****, come fight me right now!

Haha, you are right.  But I'm also kindof glad I'm not in the clack buying/selling game now.  I would feel guilty every time I paid too much for one, and feel guilty again every time I sold one for crazy amounts of money.  The last clack I outright sold was over four years ago...times were different then for sure lol!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #1167 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:01:50 »

btctopre said $210 a couple months ago, that will probably get blown out of the water on eBay.

Strange, there is one on eBay right now..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Click-Clack-Clack-Factory-Bluetrabe-Keycap-Cherry-MX-/181913205921?hash=item2a5adf3ca1:g:PU8AAOSwT5tWLYIE
excited to see what it's worth, as I am currently trying to trade mine.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1168 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:31:27 »
Personally I wouldn't pay over $250 for a Nowl, but it's your money shoney ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

$300+ should be reserved for Tricolor and Translucent territory IMO

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1169 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:09:56 »

Strange, there is one on eBay right now..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Click-Clack-Clack-Factory-Bluetrabe-Keycap-Cherry-MX-/181913205921?hash=item2a5adf3ca1:g:PU8AAOSwT5tWLYIE

I think that's why hexter asked what the value of that was lol. eBay is always worse when it comes to inflation >.<
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:13:25 by jerue »

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #1170 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:36:55 »

That isn't the clack I'm referring too. The clack I was asking the value on is the one in my profile picture, is that not called a "Night Owl"? Have I been miss-labling it?
Head in the clouds.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1171 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:06:35 »

That isn't the clack I'm referring too. The clack I was asking the value on is the one in my profile picture, is that not called a "Night Owl"? Have I been miss-labling it?

Yes, that's a Night Owl.

By the look of the eyes, it is the original Night Owl (the V2 had different eyes).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1172 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 12:03:37 »

You're responding to people that weren't responding to you, though.  I think there is some confusion here.  :P

Offline ice31000

• Just a block of ice on a journey of clacking.
« Reply #1173 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 12:12:11 »
Blue Ice from clackvent?

http://imgur.com/a/0T7bZ
iceyy

Offline KippHuntress

« Reply #1174 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 12:14:30 »
oh wow! these must be tough to get  :-X i like the spooky red and black one! one day  :rolleyes: hopefully i can be apart of this thread in the future <3

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #1175 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:46:28 »

Offline ice31000

• Just a block of ice on a journey of clacking.
« Reply #1176 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:17:50 »
iceyy

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #1177 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:12:19 »
Congratulations!  Not sure, $200?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #1178 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 09:31:19 »
Translucents have been decending in price due to many coming out in clackvent, I'd say that its in the 200-225 range

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1179 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 10:06:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:03:23 by alienman82 »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #1180 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 10:17:19 »
Translucents have been decending in price due to many coming out in clackvent, I'd say that its in the 200-225 range

I'll buy some.  Really want ruby and ice.
Make a thread or smth

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1181 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 10:22:28 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:03:18 by alienman82 »

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #1182 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 17:40:28 »
topre 3d skull?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #1183 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 17:46:56 »

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #1184 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:30:01 »
How much would a MX Depth White Skull go for?
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1185 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:46:19 »

$30.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1186 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:47:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:55:20 by alienman82 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1187 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:57:56 »

$30.

wtf?

That's his opinion of the dollar value that should exchange hands opposite an MX Depth White skull in a sale/trade.  :thumb:

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1188 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:00:54 »
$100 would be a realistic value for it
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1189 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:01:56 »

Or twice that. Maybe 3x on reddit.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1190 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:03:39 »

Would it really be less than a 3D (topre, of course)?  I must be really out of the loop on prices lately, or something changed recently.  Not too long ago, I would have expected the 3Ds to go for $110-125 and the Depth Whites to go for $150+.

topre 3d skull?
175-200 I think

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1191 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:11:58 »

Would it really be less than a 3D (topre, of course)?  I must be really out of the loop on prices lately, or something changed recently.  Not too long ago, I would have expected the 3Ds to go for $110-125 and the Depth Whites to go for $150+.

topre 3d skull?
175-200 I think
I expect 3D's to also go for $125 not much more, that being said actually I expect MX clacks to be worth more due to they (Need to check) being compatible with MX sliders, as for the White I would expect it to be worth less due to it being a single colour :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1192 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:12:08 »

I agree that $100 would still be reasonable.  That said, I don't really think we can make claims about a "realistic" value anymore.

Between Reddit, eBay, and here, Clack prices are highly volatile.  You have tons of bubbles, overvaluations, "under"-valuations, and all sorts of shenanigans and nonsense.  They sell for $100 to one person while the same cap sells for $250 to someone else and $70 to yet another person.  You have people show up who dramatically inflate the cost of caps by offering well above market value, causing bubbles. You constantly have people seeking to maximize profit (dare I say rip people off?), minimize risk, and mitigate any negative appearance that it may cause for them in the community.  It's BS that's made me consider getting rid of all my artisans on multiple occasions.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1193 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:13:50 »
It's BS that's made me consider getting rid of all my artisans on multiple occasions.

Buckling Spring has made me consider drastic life changes as well.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1194 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:15:46 »
It's BS that's made me consider getting rid of all my artisans on multiple occasions.

Buckling Spring Alps has made me consider drastic life changes as well.

FTFY
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1195 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:17:55 »

Buckling Spring Alps has made me consider drastic life changes as well.

FTFY

But...JD...  :|  That doesn't work as a play on nubs' words...  :(

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1196 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:18:01 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:55:17 by alienman82 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1197 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:18:23 »

I agree that $100 would still be reasonable.  That said, I don't really think we can make claims about a "realistic" value anymore.

Between Reddit, eBay, and here, Clack prices are highly volatile.  You have tons of bubbles, overvaluations, "under"-valuations, and all sorts of shenanigans and nonsense.  They sell for $100 to one person while the same cap sells for $250 to someone else and $70 to yet another person.  You have people show up who dramatically inflate the cost of caps by offering well above market value, causing bubbles. You constantly have people seeking to maximize profit (dare I say rip people off?), minimize risk, and mitigate any negative appearance that it may cause for them in the community.  It's BS that's made me consider getting rid of all my artisans on multiple occasions.

I agree with the points you make. The OP has outdated pricing, and in reality, there is no way to really gauge prices consistently. I should probably get rid of this thread, as all it has become is a way for people to post a "price check" request, followed by getting PM offers, which in effect only subverts the Classifieds rules.

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1198 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:22:15 »

I agree with the points you make. The OP has outdated pricing, and in reality, there is no way to really gauge prices consistently. I should probably get rid of this thread, as all it has become is a way for people to post a "price check" request, followed by getting PM offers, which in effect only subverts the Classifieds rules.

I think we've been at that point for awhile; however, this thread does serve the purpose of de-cluttering the other price check thread.  If this thread is closed, these questions will simply migrate there.  You could then disallow Clack valuation questions from that thread, but I don't think that's the right answer either (sure, some people are mostly asking just to test the waters, but there are legitimate requests too).

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1199 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:23:24 »

I think we've been at that point for awhile; however, this thread does serve the purpose of de-cluttering the other price check thread.  If this thread is closed, these questions will simply migrate there.  You could then disallow Clack valuation questions from that thread, but I don't think that's the right answer either (sure, some people are mostly asking just to test the waters, but there are legitimate requests too).

Yes, that's been the dilemma since day 1 of this thread. :(

in memoriam