Author Topic: [IC] The Knight75 by Robotical  (Read 33157 times)

Offline Robotical

[IC] The Knight75 by Robotical
« on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:26:48 »
IC on Knight75 is on hiatus and will hopefully be revisited in 2020.

- Robotical - 12/18/2019

Welcome to the Knight75 IC.

Additional Pics (Updated 08/30/2019):
More

The Knight75 is an ode to the black and gold of Central Florida. The design is a subtle tweak of the 75% layout, meant to embrace the function row and nav cluster of TKL’s while maintaining the size profile of a standard 75%. The navigation column and 2u cluster was chosen to make the navigation keys more readily available while removing the two caps that I find useless in my most daily operations.

The interest check form can be found here!

The Knight75 is still undergoing revision while I tinker with it to make what I originally pictured when this board was designed. The only adjustments that remain are internal, so do not fret if you like the aesthetic.

Updates
08/30/2019: Knight75 PCB is being finalized and a few final prototypes will be made to ensure functionality. Once I have built up the second prototype revision of the Knight75, I will reevaluate the timeline of the group buy.

Physical Specs:

- Aluminum 6063
- Case Dimensions
    Length: 144.46mm / 5.69in
    Width: 317.50mm / 12.50in
    Height (Front): 20.00mm / 0.79in
- Top Mount
- Typing Angle: 6 Degrees
- Weight: 2.5kg / 5.5lbs
- 1mm Recessed Keycaps
- No Mid-Seam
- Subtle Curvature
- MX and Alps Support [1][2]
- USB Type C
- SMD top mount Caps LEDs
- QMK Programmable
- Top facing Reset Switch

[1] For general Alps keycap support, please check your keycaps with the variant you are interested in. I tried my best with the second revision to provide some more flexibility for alps fans. I am going to putting together a list of boards that would provide Knight75 support.
[2] Does not support AEK function row keycaps

Case Options:

- Color: Colors are flexible based on the IC. I picked colors based off of what I would like to see the boards done in, but I open to listening to opinions/suggestions during the IC.
    Silver
    Crimson Red
    Navy Blue
    Black E-Coat
    White E-Coat
- Variants: Two versions of the board will be made available (Updated 08/30/2019)
    Blocker
   WKL
    No-Blocker

PCB Information (Updated 08/30/2019):

- PCB designed by Maarten
- Final PCB will be matte black

PCB Layout Support - DOES NOT SUPPORT FN ROW AEK CAPS:
- ISO
- Split Space (2.75, 2.25, 1.25)
- Split Backspace
- Full R-Shift
- Standard Bottom Row 6.25u + 1u
- Standard Bottom Row 7u + 1u

Plate Support and Options:

MX Plate (1.5mm)
- Colors / Finishes
    Anodize
    [Upgrade] Brass Sandblasted
- Supported Layouts: TBD [3]

Alps Plate (1.2mm)
- Colors / Finishes
    Anodize
    [Upgrade] Brass Sandblasted
- Supported Layouts: TBD [3]
[3] I do not wish to compromise the design of my plate to fully support all PCB layout options. Final mx and alps plate layout support will be based on feedback from the IC. DXFs will be available for those who wish to utilize some of the more niche options.

Base Kit (Updated 08/30/2019):

- Anodized / E-Coated Aluminum Top Blocker
- Anodized / E-Coated Aluminum Bottom
- Anodized / E-Coated Switch Plate
- PCB
- Internal Sandblasted Brass Weight (Changed from PVD to reduce costs)
- Bumpons (10mm) - Qty 4
- Assembly Screws
    Switch Plate: Socket Hex M3.0x0.5x5 - Qty 8
    Case: Socket Hex M3.0x0.5x12 - Qty 8
    Internal Weight: Countersunk M3.0x0.5x6 - Qty 4 (Up from 2)

Base Kit Pricing:

MOQ 50: to be announced soon
MOQ 100: to be announced soon

IC Timeline / What’s Next? (Updated 08/30/2019):

April-May
    - Record initial IC feedback
    - Figure out full change list based on IC feedback
    - Incorporate PCB revisions
    - Incorporate Case revisions
    - Order revised PCB
    - Order revised case
June:
    - Get married
    - Receive prototype v2
    - Pricing announcement
    - Assemble prototype and post build log/video
    - Launch GB

August:
   - Received prototype v2 case

September:
   - Build prototype v2 and document with build log/video
   - Pricing announcement (Late September)
   - GB Launch Date Announced (Late September)

I was overly optimistic on my initial timeline. Once I receive my updated PCB's I am going to post a revised timeline. Please keep in mind some of these dates are still open to change.

Additional Info:

- Case manufacturing by Fox Labs
- No Hotswap
- No RGB underglow
- I am not looking to do a fully polycarbonate Knight75 at the moment, but it is something I am considering to revisit further down the line.
- Plate DXF / Drawings of switch plates / weights will be provided
- I would like to offer some alternative / fun options to the group buy which of course depends on if there is enough interest. Availability and pricing is TBD.
    POM switch plate
    ABS switch plate
    4mm brass switch plate
- Alps Set Support - For this one keyboard you will most likely need to sacrifice at least 2 sets for some layouts. Make sure you double check your keycap sets if you are going the alps route.

Special Thanks:

- Delirious: My partner in crime during the design phase
- Koobaczech, Mangoes, and Zearoh: For pushing me forward with making my own board
- Pawes / Watermelon: For your support through my nonsense and wonderful feedback

Please note that since this an interest check that things are subject to change. Changes will be documented in the following companion post.

If you have any feedback, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Cheers,
Robotical
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2019, 12:08:16 by Robotical »

Offline Robotical

Re: The Knight75 by Robotical
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:27:04 »
Reserved.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2019, 07:45:56 by Robotical »

Offline dimo

[IC] The Knight75 by Robotical
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:31:55 »
I like the subtle curve on the side. Clean, simple design—

Double reserved keys on top is also unique and a good choice imo
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2019, 14:40:49 by dimo »

Offline _ODIN_

Re: [IC] The Knight75 by Robotical
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:34:26 »
Interested

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:37:55 »
Another 75% IC. ;D Love the layout so no complaints from me! ALPS support is a huuuge plus, and the design is great and not too extra. Super interested and will watch!

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:45:32 »
I was just complaining about the lack of 75% GBs. This fixes my only gripe with the 75% design/look by offsetting the F-row with the number row.

Good luck with this, would 100% jump in on the buy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:47:32 »
Hype!  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 14:38:24 »
what does the back of the board look like

very curious about this design language
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline neojonathan

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 15:32:35 »
Any chance for a WKL blocker on the leftside?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 15:33:40 »

singa started a good trend
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline neojonathan

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 15:48:19 »

singa started a good trend

Indeed

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 15:53:29 »
Very interested. Guess there's no chance of isolated arrow keys/right column, even if with a tiny space - helps a lot when navigating around the kbd?

Offline rondg

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 17:39:53 »
Interested!

Offline Delirious

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 18:54:36 »

As the alps adviser during the development of the Knight75, I would like to go into details about some of the ideas behind this keyboard, as a 75% lover and as an Alps user in general.

The key features behind the Knight75:
1. First widely available 75% with alps support
2. Our takes on fixing the 75% layout
3. Clean look with no markings and brandings
4. Weight system

1. Alps support:
More
- You can make full size Alps custom with Leeku's legacy pcb
- You can make tkl Alps custom with pcb's from Leeku, the Time, the Leaf, and upcoming Hineybush's pcb
- You can make 60% Alps custom with Hasu's pcb

Now you can make 75% Alps custom. Please be aware of what you're getting into.

2. Layout:
More
a. Top row:

The stable of 75% boards all suffer from the same boxy look because of the ortholinear top row. A lot of us recognize the problem and there are many revisions on it so far (Fox Orange 75, E7-V1, Xeno, etc...). We approach the fix based on functionality, purely:

- The 12 F-keys have to be separated, it helps with recognizing their general positions ever since IBM established that system.
- As for the most right cluster of 2 extra keys, it is part of the 4 keys below it. Working an office job, after going through so many email chains and engineering drawings I come to realize the importance of the Navigation cluster. It saves me so much times backtracking and looking for the exact data that is mentioned briefly in a 30-chains email between 7 engineers. The top right corner of the Knight75 gives you both the topological space usage while retains the navigation cluster's togetherness. And honestly, the navigation cluster on 75% makes more sense than the traditional Nav cluster IMO: finally you can have Home and End sandwiching both PgUp and PgDn.

b. Bottom row:
I appreciate all the blocker solutions that were introduced for the bottom row, mainly Canoe for bringing back the usage of 6.25u space in a more aesthetically way and Singa for offsetting the symmetrical top row. Hence we do offer the blocker version and we are open to more suggestions on how to improve on that front. I want to focus on the non-blocker version and explain why it is my preferred choice for the Knight75:
- First of all, good cap sets for alps come in 7u spacebar with 1.5u modifiers.
- The Knight75 already breaks up the top row, breaking up the bottom as well just adds more to the uneven look. Whether it's split space or not, spacebar will always be the first thing that catches your eyes when you look at the board, it takes up the most space. So by having the even number of modifiers on both sides of the spacebar with the non-blocker version, it brings back some symmetry within the asymmetrical layout. Harmony and chaos, symmetry and asymmetry.

3. Seamless look:
More
The market is dominated by mid-seam board and we would love to see some change in that. I also personally believe that a custom keyboard is a high-class suit. I would like to sell you elegant and comfortable suits. Then as the end users, you guys could fashion the suits with your own brandings through cufflinks, ties/bowties, inner shirts, jackets,.... The Knight75 will retain very clean outer look with absolutely no markings. If there are any markings or brandings, those will be inside, hidden from visible views.

4. Weight system:
More

Let's get one thing out of the way first: the familiarity with the OTD's Koala bottom is the by-product of our principles behind the weight design:
- The board will be heavy, but we want to give the users some sort of finger-grips, hence the slight curvature.
- The curvature has to end some where because the weight will be massive and rectangular. We want the weight to at least covers up the main alphas cluster. We recognize that the change in materials might result in uneven sounding so the weight have to be big enough for uniform sound distribution.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2019, 19:17:52 by Delirious »

Offline rondg

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 19:31:08 »
I really like the idea that this has no branding but I also like it to have it's own identity(?) in a way besides the layout and silhouette. Would you consider having an artisan keycap made for this? Just like the Xeno75  ;D

Offline vikipedeer

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 20:48:29 »
yesssssssss 75%!!!!
also that's really nice looking
and Alps support? sign me up
Current board:KBD75V2, Whitefox, Time TKL

say yes to bacon overlord

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 21:17:19 »
Speculation on price point? I'd also die for an alps compatible PC board... one day.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 22:49:51 »
what does the back of the board look like

The back of the board can be found here. The USB-C cutout will be undergoing revision with the next prototype, so the models should definitely give you an idea of final design of the back.

Prototype V1 and V2 Back Designs:
More

very curious about this design language

Delirious did a really swell job of covering our design discussions pertaining to the final design language choices. I highly suggest giving his a post a thorough read. If you really had to condense the design choices down though, it comes down to fillets and curves. I wanted something classic, yet adjusted to fit my taste and usage constraints. I have always been a guy who focuses on function quite a bit, so his feedback throughout the design process was definitely quite helpful.

Arrival at the seamless design: I am not going to go into the suit analogy myself like Delirious, but the reasoning for using the seamless design was both an aesthetic and functional choice. I am not a big fan of seams being shown in profile shots of keyboards, you can try your hardest but it will most likely always be visible to some degree. I wanted to completely to avoid that mid-seam completely to make a clean side profile. Functionally this helps me deal with mismatch in finishes and top/bottom misalignment.

Arrival at the curve: A heavy wedge board is hard to pick up. I wanted a large wedge that I can pick up relatively easily since I move my keyboards around routinely. Either for work or for meetups with buddies. The koala curve made the most sense due to the low profile.

Arrival at the interior weight: I did not want an exposed weight on the board. I wanted it on inside and to cover as much of the interior typing space as possible. I am looking to make some minor adjustments to make it larger and sandwich between the top and bottom pieces with the next prototype. So stay tuned on that.

If you wanted some more background on the initial design development, I can definitely elaborate there. And if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

I really like the idea that this has no branding but I also like it to have it's own identity(?) in a way besides the layout and silhouette. Would you consider having an artisan keycap made for this? Just like the Xeno75  ;D

Unfortunately I am not looking to do something like an artisan at the moment. The goal right now is minimal to no branding. I might add a little something on the inside, but do not expect anything on the outside.

Very interested. Guess there's no chance of isolated arrow keys/right column, even if with a tiny space - helps a lot when navigating around the kbd?

That's not in the cards for this board. Maybe for a future project?

Thank you everyone for your interest so far.

-Robotical
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2019, 22:56:48 by Robotical »

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 23:25:12 »
Couple design elements that could use some tweaking in my opinion:

On the bottom, I'd move the parallel lines further towards the edge (meaning more planar surface). It'd just look cleaner.
Those holes on the base on the bottom corners of weight are a little weird. I can only assume they have some functionality, but it'd look better without that, or tweaked holes to not look like circles but something like this \___/

And of course, it wouldn't be perfect without a completely fixed ANSI layout plate.

Anyway, whether you take my advice or not, really looking forward to this, nice job!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 23:26:40 »
with the brass thing going on i was thinking it'd be cool to have the stripe carry through to the back if that's not a huge stretch

but i like the pics posted above

Offline regionfree

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 00:51:23 »
with the brass thing going on i was thinking it'd be cool to have the stripe carry through to the back if that's not a huge stretch

wouldn't that be just like the LZ MP's design?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 02:12:03 »

Does anyone even know what the LZ MP looks like other than the people who bought it? I don't remember him releasing the pictures publicly...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 02:48:12 »

Does anyone even know what the LZ MP looks like other than the people who bought it? I don't remember him releasing the pictures publicly...

i didn't buy one

and yes it would be similar but it could be cool

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 07:49:38 »
interested.
there are lots of 75% keebs recently.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 08:19:33 »
Filled out the IC form, really like the look with the blockers.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 08:59:02 »
This looks really good!

Offline Robotical

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 09:38:40 »

i didn't buy one

and yes it would be similar but it could be cool

I did a quick mock-up of the design suggestion...

I think it does looks nice, but I am not sure this is the board to implement this on. It adds multiple seam lines which takes away from the original clean seamless design concept. I am definitely interested in hearing some feedback on it though.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 09:53:31 »
You're right, the stripe betrays the seamless design.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 10:46:40 »
Interested. Now I'm torn between this and the UD_70. The ALPS support is a big bonus.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 21:00:04 »
Interested. Now I'm torn between this and the UD_70. The ALPS support is a big bonus.
While I really like this board, ultimately the price will be a deciding factor for me.

I was following the xeno board for a while and just couldn't buy in when it dropped.

I hope this board is in the sub-300 region...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 21:37:22 »

The price will definitely be the deciding factor. Hopefully we get a price soon.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 00:47:41 »
Excellent elaborate explanation by Delirious up there.

+1 on the seamless design without the brass stripe.

Sub 300 seems frankly unrealistic for the pieces and complexity of this keyboard. Sub 400 is far more likely.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 07:24:54 »
If these start as a giant solid block of aluminum you should cut out a giant rectangle and make a 40% case out of that piece  :p
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline g_mr_p

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 10:54:34 »
I certainly appreciate the meticulousness of the design.  As someone who does use keys like Home/End and Pgup/Pgdn regularly, the layout is quite nice.

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:00:58 »
The brass strip is not a deal maker or breaker, but it does add unnecessary complexity to the design for what seems to be minimal return. Especially with it having to be split due to the USB opening

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:23:10 by the-slunk »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:13:24 »
Any plans for making the alps plates out of FR4 rather/in addition to the metal option? I know a lot of users prefer softer material anyway, so it might be something to look into, as getting a metal plate made from laserboost is somewhat affordable for a one off, but MOQ for FR4 is usually around 5-10. It would be nice if FR4 becomes an option (would be much cheaper than metal as well).

Offline Robotical

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:44:17 »
Any plans for making the alps plates out of FR4 rather/in addition to the metal option? I know a lot of users prefer softer material anyway, so it might be something to look into, as getting a metal plate made from laserboost is somewhat affordable for a one off, but MOQ for FR4 is usually around 5-10. It would be nice if FR4 becomes an option (would be much cheaper than metal as well).

I can definitely look into sourcing some FR4 plates. Your reasoning is exactly why I included POM and ABS plates in the IC form. I will be setting up an individual IC form(s?) for materials that will not be directly supplied by my case manufacturer in order to determine if reaching MOQ is possible.

The price will definitely be the deciding factor. Hopefully we get a price soon.

Like Lightning said, pricing south of 300 is not really feasible for these parts. I am expecting it to be somewhere in the 350-400 range depending on MOQ with the pending updates.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 15:42:21 »
Awesome. hineybush is the man to ask when it comes to FR4 plates, if you ask nicely I'm sure he'll tell you where to go and what to expect for pricing.

Offline gab.a

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 14:08:08 »
Awesome design !
+1 for FR4 plate option, 4mm brass plate and/or PVD brass plate
Not fond of the solo right blocker, I prefer left&right blocker combination imo :/
In for LEDs but only, if they are white or warm white.
Gratz on getting married !

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 10:34:54 »
Mo 75% = mo good
You'd have to be a fool to dispute such a solid mathematical function

Offline jaang

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:17:40 »
Definitely interested, looks great!

Offline lac29

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 22:29:25 »
I'm interested! I'd prefer no branding. And I'd also like to see what the back would look like. Would it be super clean and flat with perhaps only screw holes?

Offline Robotical

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 22:33:43 »
I'm interested! I'd prefer no branding. And I'd also like to see what the back would look like. Would it be super clean and flat with perhaps only screw holes?

If I add any branding, it will be entirely internal.

The back of the first prototype and what it is being revised to can be found here:
More

A picture of the bottom of the Knight can be found here:
More

Hope that stuff helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 06:56:31 »
Any plan to support burger o-ring mount or gasket mount ?

Offline Insomnium

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 09:03:00 »

Please no ... among a sea of gasket mount keyboard released this year a top mount board is a welcome breath of fresh air ...

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 01:05:49 »
Well most of them were very limited runs with crazy short reaction times in order to have a chance to get in at all... I wouldnt mind being able to buy one. Also this layout is the best 75% around..

Offline regionfree

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 02:31:12 »
+1 for bacon-mount

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 12:50:58 »
Sooo you thinking early June or late June? ;D

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 07:34:38 »
interested, waiting for more details

Offline Robotical

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 07:44:26 »

There are currently no plans for the board to directly support burger o-ring mount or gasket mount.

Well most of them were very limited runs with crazy short reaction times in order to have a chance to get in at all... I wouldnt mind being able to buy one. Also this layout is the best 75% around..

I don't think you will have to worry about that with this board.

Sooo you thinking early June or late June? ;D

Late June is still my target for launch. Been busy getting my ducks in a row and finalizing a few final details.

As a general note about the IC, I will be posting an update on Monday with some revisions and notes based on feedback from the IC form. So stay tuned for that.