Author Topic: [GB] GMK Rainy Day | Production Complete! Shipping has began!  (Read 115829 times)

Offline Owl

[GB] GMK Rainy Day | Production Complete! Shipping has began!
« on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 09:39:53 »

About the set |

For many of us, the rain has a strong influence on how we think and feel. Each person can feel something profoundly
different than the other; Relaxation, a clear mind, subtle sadness, dramatic nostalgia, or utter hopelessness. GMK Rainy Days
is a dedication to these feelings. I wanted to design a set that not only had a theme, but a strong and dramatic mood and atmosphere.

My inspiration for this set comes from two main sources. The rain, of course, and brutalist/oppressive architecture and the
dramatic role it plays in how we interpret and reflect. The stark presence of raw or bare material making up the world we live in.
From buildings to bridges to the streetlights that are always watching us. I have always felt like props stand out as monoliths when
we find ourselves engulfed by the cool overcast air, thinking about a memory, a loved one, or the uncertainty of the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my work and I welcome all criticism you can offer.

Kits |

Base

Sidewalks

Hangul

Petrichor

Colors |

(Direct natural lighting)

Desk Mats |

Streetlight:

Concrete:

Renders |
By Abec13

Vendors and Pricing |

Keycaps and Deskmats |
United States: Kono
Canada: DeskHero
Europe: CandyKeys
Asia: ZFrontier
Oceania: Daily Clack

Cables |
SwiftCables

Pre-Production Samples and Feedback |

Updates |

5/22/2020 - Pre-Production Samples arrived
10/6/2020 - Group Buy Started!

Banner Link:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104278.0][img width=316 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/fwoejR1.png[/img][/url]

WEBSITES AND SOCIAL MEDIA

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2022, 19:03:56 by Owl »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
Re: [GB] GMK Rainy Day is live until November 13th!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 11:11:17 »
in!  :D

Offline Blastoise

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 11:46:29 »
This is the set I'm most excited for this year! Thank you for making this!

Offline trg1234

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 12:21:26 »
Been eyeing this since day 1. Hope the gb goes well

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 12:34:51 »
Yes, I grabbed this

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 22:31:20 »
Lovely set. How come the streetlight deskmat is not available on Candykeys, is this intentional (because I also see that it is on Kono whilst the concrete one is not) or are they going to be added to by the vendors at a later date or something to that effect?

Edit: never mind I'm dumb. Bought everything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2020, 22:35:59 by Vigrith »

Offline Owl

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 13:26:50 »
It is being offered here: https://candykeys.com/product/rainy-day-deskmat

The image is just wrong. I just reached out to them to get this fixed ASAP. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I also noticed that the "Concrete" deskmat is listed as "Haze" on Kono. They are fixing that now as well.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 19:46:39 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:19:45 by dvorcol »

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 01:19:56 »

The image is just wrong. I just reached out to them to get this fixed ASAP. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I also noticed that the "Concrete" deskmat is listed as "Haze" on Kono. They are fixing that now as well.

I bought this deskmat from Kono, do I need to reach out to them to correct my order?

Offline Owl

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 11:19:36 »

I bought this deskmat from Kono, do I need to reach out to them to correct my order?

Nope Kono's store is correct. All the of the listings are correct it was just a misplaced thumbnail on specifically the CandyKeys website.

Offline maxohmax

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 01:40:43 »
Love the description and the inspiration behind the keycap set. I'm personally a big fan of brutalist architecture and the two tone gray with pastel blue color scheme looks amazing.
Tofu | Vega 65* | Rama Kara*
KAT Mizu* | GMK Shan Shui*

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 02:29:19 »
In for base + nov + hangul, GLWGB!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 19:51:06 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2020, 18:54:20 by dvorcol »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 02:58:48 »
Show Image

easy all kits made with extras. nice.  :D

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:52:06 »

Offline bigfishkb

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 19:43:08 »
I caved and got the base, spacebars and deskmat. Wish there was a 1u shift but if there's ever a round 2 I would be all over a 40s kit.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 03:09:26 »

Offline cloverchips

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 08:05:20 »
I hate that the inspiration speaks to me... I bought the base. :)

Offline olylith

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 20:27:09 »
Beautiful and congrats on smashing those numbers!

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 19:34:49 »
I'm really excited to pair this with my copper patina-plated Protozoa P.01; I think the colors will play very well together!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 17:11:48 »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 18:39:44 »

Offline Owl

Re: [GB] GMK Rainy Day | Only a couple more days left on remaining vendors!
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 11:13:05 »
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the support and the great GB turnout! You can still snag a set if you would like on remaining vendors.

Offline JordenJJ

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 09:54:16 »
Super excited for this. Will be my first ever GB!

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 10:46:33 »
Super excited for this. Will be my first ever GB!

Edit: nvm lol I'm dumb...

Offline Owl

Re: [GB] GMK Rainy Day | GB over. Thank you everyone!
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 18:35:58 »
Just waiting on final numbers from the last vendor before we add the super cool graph. Thanks again to everyone for the great experience.

From here... we wait lol. Estimated delivery is roughly a year. I will keep this thread updated with major updates and news as we get the orders in and get into color matching and shipping. However with the long wait time, don't be surprised if this thread doesn't get a whole lot of attention until those major events kick in. If you want by the minute updates, my Discord is the best place to get those. It's much easier to organize and deliver information via Discord than a forum. But like I said, as major events happen, both will be updated. I appreciate everyone's patience and excitement to get Rainy Day!

Offline maxohmax

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:42:09 »
Can't be happier that Rainy Day got a lot of love! Can't wait to see in person pics of it.
Tofu | Vega 65* | Rama Kara*
KAT Mizu* | GMK Shan Shui*

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 00:14:54 »

More
<-- without extras

Offline Owl

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 19:22:12 »
Wanted to give a small update. GMK is beginning color matching for Rainy Day this month! I will be sharing pictures and the process with everyone via Discord so if you haven't joined already, stop on by if you're interested in learning about the process. I will be going through the analysis and taking pictures to make sure this is as perfect as possible and meets the expectations and standards of all of YOU.

I am also still reaching out to vendors to get the artisans for Rainy Day going. It's been difficult to coordinate because of all the world events going on, but we are still on track, even if we are a little behind. I apologize for not having more information sooner but they are still in the pipeline. I will have a separate IC and GB page for those when they are ready to be shown off.

I also wanted to apologize for not having more concrete updates on Rainy Day and the artisan collab. To be honest I really intended for it to develop sooner but as I mentioned before, world events made this difficult. I also lost my day job which has made budgeting my time more difficult as well. I am not using that as an excuse because I made a commitment going into this and am still 100% committed. The community has already showed me so much support not only emotionally but, if it wasn't for the success of Rainy Day, I would probably be homeless right now lol. So believe me, making Rainy Day absolutely perfect and delivering on my promises to you guys is my first priority. Thank you all for your patience and understanding and support! We may be a little behind but the quality that I intend to bring to you guys will not be effected!

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 01:00:26 »
Thank you for the update, it is always appreciated to hear what is going on.

Please post the pictures of the color matching here aswel. I am not a fan of joining another discord server for every group buy I join. If the set was IC'ed here and the GB post was here the updates should also be posted here. To make it clear I dont mind more deeply discussions about projects or other related things to the designer taking place in his discord. But it should not completely replace the GB post regarding updates. (since you posted this update here you probably see it in a similar way)

I am sorry to hear about your job, hope things will get better soon.

Offline Owl

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 00:36:50 »
Thank you for the update, it is always appreciated to hear what is going on.

Please post the pictures of the color matching here aswel. I am not a fan of joining another discord server for every group buy I join. If the set was IC'ed here and the GB post was here the updates should also be posted here. To make it clear I dont mind more deeply discussions about projects or other related things to the designer taking place in his discord. But it should not completely replace the GB post regarding updates. (since you posted this update here you probably see it in a similar way)

I am sorry to hear about your job, hope things will get better soon.

Absolutely! I dont expect everyone to join the Discord. It's just another way for people to get updates is all. The GB thread will be updated with all the pictures and comparisons just the same as the Discord and all input here will be used to make sure that it meets the standards of the community. The more in depth discussion will be reserved for Discord just because thats a better place for back and forth banter and question answering. But everyone on GH will absolutely be kept in the loop for the color matching process! Very excited!

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 12:59:11 »
Sorry if it has been answered before, but will deskmat-only orders ship ahead of orders including the keyset?

Offline Owl

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 17:26:05 »
Sorry if it has been answered before, but will deskmat-only orders ship ahead of orders including the keyset?

I apologize for the late reply. Typically yes this will be the case but it could very from vendor to vendor.

Offline Owl

Re: [GB] GMK Rainy Day | Pre-Production Samples have arrived! 5/22/21
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 18:44:43 »
Pre-Production Samples are here!

I have attached some samples to the post but to see all of the pictures taken in different lighting and next to different objects, please check out the mega-thread here: https://imgur.com/gallery/uUZ2NsT

And please, if you have time to dedicate, consider filling out the pre-production sample feedback form so I can better understand how to serve you all in the best way that I can. Please follow the form carefully so I can get accurate data.

And of course thank you everyone for your patience. As I mentioned before, the updates will be sparse as we eagerly await our turn in production and shipping but I hope to have Rainy Day in your hands as soon as possible!

Offline Auracity

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 20:52:28 »
Teal looks a bit off, but honestly it's close enough that I wouldn't really care.

Offline slg1993

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 22:32:19 »
I think it may actually look closer to the renders than it does to the pantone, ironically

which I don't mind

Offline OmoideAeternum

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 12:45:58 »
Teal looks a bit off, but honestly it's close enough that I wouldn't really care.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline tonyjones

• I like big butts and I cannot lie.
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 09:18:46 »

I have attached some samples to the post but to see all of the pictures taken in different lighting and next to different objects, please check out the mega-thread here: https://imgur.com/gallery/uUZ2NsT

And please, if you have time to dedicate, consider filling out the pre-production sample feedback form so I can better understand how to serve you all in the best way that I can. Please follow the form carefully so I can get accurate data.

And of course thank you everyone for your patience. As I mentioned before, the updates will be sparse as we eagerly await our turn in production and shipping but I hope to have Rainy Day in your hands as soon as possible!

Did the samples get approved or are we requesting more samples?

Offline Owl

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 18:23:48 »

Did the samples get approved or are we requesting more samples?

Not yet. I do not want to approve samples until I have strong feedback from the community. Ultimately I will make the decision, after all I do have the physical samples in hand. But I want to gauge the perception and expectations before making anything final so that people are confident in my decision and the product that they purchased. I will be sharing the form data with everyone after maybe another week and then getting in touch with the lead vendor about revisions. (it does appear that the blue needs a slight tweak thus far.)

Offline Owl

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 18:26:40 »
Update: I have also added more pictures of the samples mounted to the boards by popular request. please check those out and, if you've already filled out the form, either fill it out again or leave a comment if you have changed your mind about anything. I will be able to filter out double entries.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:04:03 »
Samples look pretty good :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:23:47 by elmo »

Offline Hiiro_XoXo

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 12:45:34 »
Hey guys. First time here and just getting into custom keyboards. I love this set but funds are a little tight. How much time do you think I have before this closes?

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 12:50:45 »
Hey guys. First time here and just getting into custom keyboards. I love this set but funds are a little tight. How much time do you think I have before this closes?

The groupbuy closed last year in november.
You might be able to get a set once the extras go on sale later this year.

Offline Hiiro_XoXo

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 13:41:42 »
Ahh that makes sense. Weird that kono hasn’t closed the preorder.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 03:54:18 »
Ahh that makes sense. Weird that kono hasn’t closed the preorder.

Kono sometimes sells their extras before the original groupbuy shipped.
If you order it there now you will receive the set together with everyone else from the normal groupbuy.

Offline Auracity

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 29 May 2021, 15:38:43 »
Kono doesn't do extras anymore. Any and all sets they've bought themselves are allocated to preorders. Once preorders run out all they have is gone.

Offline Owl

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 20:54:33 »
based on all of the feedback I received and my own personal thoughts, the mod gray and the alphas gray have been approved. I have requested a second sample of the accent blue, again, based on overwhelming feedback as well as my own personal feelings. This has happened recently so it may be awhile before I get those. I want to thank everyone for their patience as well as their participation and feedback on this process. This is always the hardest part of any set it seems and working with the community and its designers has given me tremendous knowledge and confidence that my first set and contribution to the hobby will be to standards. I will continue to provide updates on the colors until the overwhelming majority, and myself, are happy with the results!
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2021, 20:56:55 by Owl »

Offline Starston3

[GB] GMK Rainy Day | Pre-Production Samples have arrived! 5/22/21
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 00:11:55 »
based on all of the feedback I received and my own personal thoughts, the mod gray and the alphas gray have been approved. I have requested a second sample of the accent blue, again, based on overwhelming feedback as well as my own personal feelings. This has happened recently so it may be awhile before I get those. I want to thank everyone for their patience as well as their participation and feedback on this process. This is always the hardest part of any set it seems and working with the community and its designers has given me tremendous knowledge and confidence that my first set and contribution to the hobby will be to standards. I will continue to provide updates on the colors until the overwhelming majority, and myself, are happy with the results!
While I understand the sentiment… gathering feedback from people that 1. Might not have the best calibrated screen, 2. Have the correct idea of what the colour should look like irl. It gives me pause to trust your judgment when there have been other sets that actually use colour science to verify that samples GMK is providing is the correct RAL to Pantone.

Project Keyboard and Omnitype contracted the same person that has been in hobby for several years and understands the ins and outs

This can turn out like Shoko… where it turned out well, or it can turn out like Necro… and we know what happened there

Offline dstaar

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 02:56:41 »
While I understand the sentiment… gathering feedback from people that 1. Might not have the best calibrated screen, 2. Have the correct idea of what the colour should look like irl. It gives me pause to trust your judgment when there have been other sets that actually use colour science to verify that samples GMK is providing is the correct RAL to Pantone.

Project Keyboard and Omnitype contracted the same person that has been in hobby for several years and understands the ins and outs

This can turn out like Shoko… where it turned out well, or it can turn out like Necro… and we know what happened there

btw, can someone elaborate a bit what happened with Necro? I am in the hobby not long enough.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 07:28:46 »
btw, can someone elaborate a bit what happened with Necro? I am in the hobby not long enough.