Author Topic: [GB] Augur R2 // JLabs  (Read 10538 times)

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
[GB] Augur R2 // JLabs
« on: Sat, 01 July 2023, 12:41:42 »
    "This is my favorite 60% that I have typed on, to date. I've typed on an OTD Mini, I've typed on a Unikorn, I've typed on various Duck boards, I've typed on a Keycult... Anyway, this is, for me, a fantastic 60%." - Blacksimon, in his Augur Review

By JLabs

Sales Info:
      • The groupbuy goes live 7/15/2023 5 PM PST
      • Fulfillment will begin October/November
      • Gropubuy, 200 unit MOQ
      • Prices:
      • Each unit will cost $238
      • Soldered PCB: $35 (one soldered PCB is included with every kit)
      • Hotswap PCB: $45
      • Extra FR-4 plates will be $15 each.
      • Extra polycarbonate (full), carbon fiber (full and half), and aluminum (full and half) plates will also be available at groupbuy. Each will be $40.
      • 1.2mm Stabilizer Set (4x 2U, 1x 7U): $10 per set, one set will be included with each R2 Augur unit

Most Recent Updates:
      • Blue and dark green prototypes are here! Photos are linked above.
      • We are now including 1.2mm stabilizers (4x 2U, 1x 7U) with each Augur unit. These stabilizers will also be sold separately.

Key Changes from R1 --> R2
      • Groupbuy Format
      • MOQ of 200 units
      • More plate options! We will be making plates in aluminum (no leaf springs), carbon fiber (leaf springs), and polycarbonate (no leaf springs)
      • Color options are changing! This round, we will be offering Blue, Dark Green, and Purple (the same purple from R1)
      • We will now be including a set of 1.2mm stabilizers after complaints that some 1.2mm stabilizers currently on the market have ticking issues.
      • Polycarbonate wrist rests will be also be available at groupbuy.

Soundtests (R1, R2 builds coming soon)

Design Philosophy:
      Augur is a 60% keyboard which brings premium elements to a less-premium price. Augur features isolation gasket mounting and leaf spring plates. Minimalistic front and sides yield to a striking backside and an elegant bottom. Augur uses a Type-C daughterboard to remain immobile while the plate and PCB flex. While the plate is strictly 7u for cleaner acoustics, the PCB supports both 6.25u and 7u layouts. Augur is held together by case screws of two different lengths, so that the screw heads are equidistant from the bottom of the case.

Design Process and Testing:
      Multiple gasket materials, compression ratios, and plate configurations were tested to reach the amount of flex I was looking for in this board. In fact, I designed a test bench with adjustable compression to test the various gasket and plate designs.

Specifications:
      • Top/Bottom Case: 6063 Aluminum, sandblasted and anodized
      • Accent Piece: Brass, sandblasted and PVD coated
      • Color options: anodized purple, anodized blue, anodized dark green
      • 6 degree typing angle
      • 18.65mm Real Front Height
      • WK and WKL layouts
      • Isolation gasket mounting system
      • Seamless design

Plate and PCB Details:
      • The kit will include both full and half FR-4 plates
      • Extra plates in aluminum, carbon fiber, and polycarbonate
      • The PCB color is  white, and the thickness is 1.2mm, to promote flex ((1.2mm stabilizer set included))

Soldered Layout

Hotswap Layout

Included Components:
      • Top and Bottom case, CNC machined from 6063 aluminum
      • Accent piece, CNC machined from brass
      • FR-4 Full and Half Plates
      • Augur PCB (The included PCB will be soldered and 1.2mm thick)
      • 1.2mm Stablizers (4x 2U, 1x 7U) - no more fiddling around with shims!
      • Type-C Daughterboard and JST cable
      • Gaskets (2 sets of 16 gaskets, 1 soft and 1 hard)
      • Various Screws
      • Ships in hardcase

Soundtests:

Links:
      [/list][/list]
      « Last Edit: Sun, 16 July 2023, 13:50:07 by Jefff »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
      • * Senior Moderator
      Re: [GB] Augur R2 // JLabs
      « Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 10:40:22 »
      Approved :thumb:

PSA to prospective buyers:
      Group Buys are inherently risky endeavors. There is an element of risk involved with collecting payment before the item has been produced and resulting uncertainty during manufacturing / subsequent operations. We urge all GB organizers to consider (and document) these risks, and want to make it clear to all who consider purchasing that these risks are present.

If you are unfamiliar with the Group Buy model, please read this primer - Group Buy FAQ / Buying Guidelines

This PSA is new and will become standard on all Group Buys moving forward. It is not posted on this GB in isolation and is not singling this organizer out in particular as someone to be wary of.