Author Topic: Replacement controllers  (Read 135739 times)

Offline Grendel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Re: Replacement controllers
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 22:25:22 »
hi friend.. how can i order one of these for my Filco Majestouch 2 full to the USA ? :D
thanks in advance

Here you go:

If you want get a custom controller for your keyboard, send me a PM with your Paypal e-mail address and what you want. I'll send you an invoice from there. I have plenty of all controllers.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline moparisthebest

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 10:47:24 »
Can anyone point me to the cheapest place I can get a keyboard compatible with any one of these controllers (shipping to USA)?

Also are all of these controllers compatible with tmk_keyboard firmware?  I saw one place that said only the kitten paw was, and another that said they all were.

Thanks!

Offline bitboxer

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 03:01:17 »
Any love for wasd v2? By any chance will the frosty flake work for wasd v2? The controller's the same holtek. but not sure whether if the pin layouts are the same though.

Picture for reference:
http://imgur.com/MehwYFi
http://imgur.com/xIhbWbt

I would love to be able to mod a WASD. Any update on this? Thanks!

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 02:58:30 »

Sorry, but I don't think it would be worth the work involved. If the demand was really high perhaps. Or if it were more similar to the Flake or Hoof, but I am worried I would have to redo the whole thing from scratch to fit the components.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 11:10:42 »
YGPM  ;D
null

Offline pepsicles

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 01:12:56 »
Hi mate,

I'm interested in the The Ghost Squid board for the CM Storm Quick Fire XT, I was wondering if you had any stock of them left?

I also have a few other questions regarding installation and programming of the board since this is my mechanical keyboard and I'm a complete noob.
1. How hard is the installation of the board on the CM Storm Quick Fire XT? Is it a simple remove the case, remove the board and plug in the new board? Or is soldering and desoldering required?
2. Do I need any coding skills to program the board once installed? Or can i just use Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Cheers,
Patrick

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:44:40 »
KBP V60 is also manufactured by Costar. Is there a replacement controller for it?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:55:45 »
Hi mate,

I'm interested in the The Ghost Squid board for the CM Storm Quick Fire XT, I was wondering if you had any stock of them left?

I also have a few other questions regarding installation and programming of the board since this is my mechanical keyboard and I'm a complete noob.
1. How hard is the installation of the board on the CM Storm Quick Fire XT? Is it a simple remove the case, remove the board and plug in the new board? Or is soldering and desoldering required?
2. Do I need any coding skills to program the board once installed? Or can i just use Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Cheers,
Patrick

Installation is fairly easy and shouldn't require any soldering.

Easy AVR USB firmware does support the Ghost Squid, but it needs testing.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:56:42 »
KBP V60 is also manufactured by Costar. Is there a replacement controller for it?

As far as I know, there are only five Costar controllers, and they only support the keyboards listed on the wiki: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_replacement_controllers

Offline clodnut

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 15:35:48 »
Just posting to publicly thank bpiphany for an assembled and tested Ghost Squid, which has resurrected my CM QuickFire XT after the stock controller board died.

The order was shipped within 24 hours of payment and shipping to the UK took about a week.

The board is a drop-in replacement for the existing controller PCB and is pre-programmed and ready to go.

To anyone on the fence about ordering from this chap, don't be!

Thanks, bpiphany!

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:06:16 »
I'm curious to know if any of these would work for the CM QFR TK. It doesn't really have a standard layout.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:55:54 »
There is a new version of the Pegasus Hoof available. All other controllers are "in stock" as well.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:59:05 »
There is a new version of the Pegasus Hoof available. All other controllers are "in stock" as well.

Show Image

Is it software compatible with the old 'hoof?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:07:31 »

Show Image

Is it software compatible with the old 'hoof?

Not quite.. I uploaded the new version of my firmware to the github repository https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/costar_keyboard

It's very similar, a few pins have moved around within their ports, more or less. It's probably even closer to the new Frosty Flake. I finally nailed the component locations exactly the same on the Hoof and Flake, no more looking for the correct solder paste stencil =)

A new schematic as well if that should be more useful...
94390-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:11:51 by bpiphany »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:16:41 »
I'll have to get one of the Pegasus Hoof boards, going to mod my Filco to Clears soon so I might as well make it programmable while I'm there!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline vicibz

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 07:19:01 »

Show Image

Are there any remarkable differences between the "old" one and this one?
I got the old PH just a month before the new one came out  :-\
Thanks!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 08:04:01 »

Show Image

Are there any remarkable differences between the "old" one and this one?
I got the old PH just a month before the new one came out  :-\
Thanks!

First reason - I ran out of the old ones. Second reason - I nudged some of the components over a little to make it the exact same positions as on the Frosty Flake.

There is no difference in performance. It is "exactly" the same, only spiffier design =)

I initially planned to make the Flake and Hoof exactly the same pinout, so they could run the same firmware. That wasn't as easy as I had expected. So it ended up different from both the Flake and the old Hoof. I probably could have made it the same as the old Hoof, I just didn't think that far...
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 March 2015, 08:06:05 by bpiphany »

Offline Seriously

• Filco forever
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 23:41:51 »
Is the new Pegasus Hoof compatible with the old Majestouch 1 boards? Thanks!

WASD CODE 104 - Filco Majestouch 2 - Filco Majestouch - Filco Majestouch 2 - Realforce 87UW 45G
Reserves: Filco Minila - KBtalking Pure Pro

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 03:31:00 »
any new designs for frosty flake? :D

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 06:39:44 »
Is the new Pegasus Hoof compatible with the old Majestouch 1 boards? Thanks!

As compatible as the old one (or the HID Liberation Device for that matter). I believe the consensus is that the Majestouch 1's are the same matrix and pinout as the 2's.

any new designs for frosty flake? :D

The current one is the "new" one =)

Offline punkpc

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 23:57:32 »
I have picked up a Adesso EasyTouch 625. It appears to have a Jagor Keyboard PCB inside. It uses a similar plug in like the Rosewill and Cooler Master boards. Its nice because it shows the hook up layout on the bottom.

PCB Board

Controller Board

Would it be possible to get this to work with your chips?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 12:48:52 »
It looks like they are using a 8x20 matrix, maybe. I don't know what those PINC?'s are for. If you want to do a one off I would suggest a Teensy++, and a messy wiring job =P
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 23:00:52 by bpiphany »

Offline punkpc

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 15:16:10 »
It looks like they are using a 8x20 matrix, maybe. I don't know what those PINC?'s are for. If you want to do a one of I would suggest a Teensy++, and a messy wiring job =P

Ok kool! I will give it a go.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 16:44:35 »
I fear the keyboard that actually requires a 8x20 matrix.  160 keys of POWER!!!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 23:05:50 »

A tenkeyless is very naturally 6 rows by 18 columns. Although Costar doesn't do it like that of course. They stick to their good old single layer PCB layout. A full size board would be 6 rows by 22 columns. That is beginning to be a bit too far from square, and using 8 "rows" is probably attractive due to computer architecture reasons. I still think they could have straightened the matrix out a bit when they started using dual layer PCBs...

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 15:37:51 »

220, baby! Once I figure out how to get the left and rights sides mapped the way I want. :)

/Future project -- I have a vacation to plan!
//Don't suppose bpiphany has a replacement controller that would work with both sides.  :))

Offline Zawvat

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 00:16:27 »

Sorry, but I don't think it would be worth the work involved. If the demand was really high perhaps. Or if it were more similar to the Flake or Hoof, but I am worried I would have to redo the whole thing from scratch to fit the components.

I registered just so I could say I would love a WASD controller if one were ever available and would order two. I am getting ready to order a second mechanical keyboard and I am thinking of getting a Filco just so I can remap the keys with your controllers, but then it wouldn't match my WASD V2.

WASD V2 Red, WASD V2 Blue

Offline lucaslink

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 00:08:52 »
after fighting with libusb and flip i finally got it working and have a functioning function key! thanks bpip!

Offline Tactile

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 12:54:32 »
Bpiphany:  Thanks for the fast shipping. I payed for my Frosty Flake via PayPal on Sunday and received it on Saturday. I was shocked to see it arrive so quickly. It's installed & working fine.

Thanks
REΛLFORCE

Offline faxe

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 14:14:17 »
Received my Hoof today, works great, thanks! :thumb:
ISO Clueboard V2 Zealio 78g -ISO Clueboard V1 MX Clear - ISO 60% MX Clear - ISO Filco MJ 2 MX Brown - ISO is life

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 04:40:48 »
As of 2015-07-10 controllers will ship without the magnetic reed switch. They are fragile, expensive, and rather just a nifty feature if you develop your own firmware. A good firmware will have a software command to enter the bootloader and the switch is superfluous.

Offline Kraicheck

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 04:57:45 »
But what happens when incorrect firmware is loaded or, as in case of AVR Easy Key Mapper, you forget to map something to activate bootmode?
Without the reed switch, you've just bricked your controller.
Maybe allow the option to add it in at extra cost?

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 05:31:38 »
But what happens when incorrect firmware is loaded or, as in case of AVR Easy Key Mapper, you forget to map something to activate bootmode?
Without the reed switch, you've just bricked your controller.
Maybe allow the option to add it in at extra cost?
You can always short the pads with something conductive, like a pin. Granted, since it's on the bottom side it will be tricky, but as a get-out-of-jail solution, it should work.

Maybe bpiphany can solder just two pieces of wire to the pads which make this recovery easier?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 06:27:39 »
Yes, shorting out the pads is of course still viable. They are through hole, so you'll be able to get at them while the controller is mounted and powered. You'll need to have the case open though, that's all. I suspect bricking the firmware is quite uncommon using Easy AVR or tmk_keyboard. Soldering wires in should be very easy for anyone having an iron of their own =)

Offline areyounoob

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:31:33 »
Would you say that the physical dimensions of the Pegasus Hoof v2 would be the same as the physical dimensions of the HID Liberation Device?

I'm wondering if I would need to clip the corners like this guy did with his HID Liberation Device to fit it in my Vortex Filco aluminum case.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 03:44:52 »
I made the Flakes and Hoofs ever so slightly smaller than the Liberation Devices. I thought perhaps I just made them slimmer by increasing the cutout, but comparing them side to side here, it looks like it's mainly the outer dimensions that are smaller =) I don't know if that will be enough to circumvent the aluminium case problems though. I know I had some funky behavior with an aluminium case as well sometime..

Offline inde

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:43:14 »
Hi,
I just stumbled onto this thread and it got me excited enough to sign up with a couple of questions:

1) The toasted versions you're selling are drop-in replacements, aren't they? I open up my keyboard pull out one controller and put in yours. No soldering required? The SMD soldering that people mention sometimes applies if I order just the PCB and add my own Atmel to that?
Are there hardware installation instructions somewhere?

2) How much flexibility do I get out of these? Can I, e.g., turn caps lock into an Fn key and use Fn+H/J/K/L as arrow keys?

3) Is the Quickfire Ultimate similar to the Quickfire XT? Is the Quickfire Rapid-i supported in any way? The Rapid (without back-light) is practically unavailable in Germany.
[a bit of research found that the Ultimate isn't Costar so I suppose that answers my question?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47287.0]
So in other words: what's the cheapest ISO keyboard I can buy right now that you support?

Cheers,
inde!
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:47:38 by inde »

Offline Kraicheck

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 02:00:25 »
1) The toasted versions you're selling are drop-in replacements, aren't they? I open up my keyboard pull out one controller and put in yours. No soldering required? The SMD soldering that people mention sometimes applies if I order just the PCB and add my own Atmel to that?
Are there hardware installation instructions somewhere?

Yes, no soldering required unless you assemble the controller yourself.
Just open up the case, pry out the original controller, push in the new one.

2) How much flexibility do I get out of these? Can I, e.g., turn caps lock into an Fn key and use Fn+H/J/K/L as arrow keys?
Using the Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper firmware that's definitely possible. You can even program it so that tapping caps lock still works as caps lock, but holding it down activates the Fn layer.

Offline pullup

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 06:23:12 »
I'm highly interested by the ghost squid and eventually the frosty flake. I have a few question on the process of installation:

-Can the original controller be re-installed (in case the custom chip does'nt work correctly or get the Keyboard to it's original state)?
-What are the tools needed for installation?
-Is it possible to have some guide, text or photos for the installation (real hardware noob here)
-Are there any things to be carefull ? And in the same line, is there a risk to brick the keyboard?

Few questions specific to the CMQF XT with the ghost squid :
-Does the controller work also on the XT stealth (and as it be tested by someone)?
-is there any other fullsize keyboard compatible with your chip(s)? I'm looking only for fullsize or at least a CMQF TK (if you going to do a custom controller for the TK maybe I can wait ^^)
-Are the original combination of FN function + F-keys (for special actions like volume up/dwn, windows lock) natively accessible with the replacement controller or it need to be reprogrammed?.
-finally, as Inde asked before : "Is the Quickfire Rapid-i supported in any way?"

I'll PM you as soon as I got a new keyboard.
thanks

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 08:07:46 »
-Can the original controller be re-installed (in case the custom chip does'nt work correctly or get the Keyboard to it's original state)?
-What are the tools needed for installation?
-Is it possible to have some guide, text or photos for the installation (real hardware noob here)
-Are there any things to be carefull ? And in the same line, is there a risk to brick the keyboard?
Don't know for ghost squid but there's a video for frosty flake which answers all the questions above:

Offline pullup

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 03:30:09 »
Thank you for the video link flabbergast, recently i found the channel of this guy but didn't see this video. That's great ! I hope the replacement procedure on the XT is as easy as the QF rapid.

So the last thing that remain unclear is the difference between QF XT and QF XT Stealth (at first glance it seems to be only the keycap printing that's different but best to be sure).
is the replacement controller fully compatible with the XT stealth ? and also (for a friend) what about the quickfire rapid-i ?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 06:42:32 »
Quick answers. I've been away on vacation. I'll catch up with PMs and stuff later tonight.

The stealth versions only have different caps as far as I've heard of.

The QFR-i is completely different from the non-backlit QFR, there isn't even a separate controller board, if I remember correctly. The Flake won't work with the -i.

Offline areyounoob

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 03:51:30 »
Got my Pegasus Hoof today and set up the firmware with EasyAVR and everything was great.  Since mine didn't come with the magnetic reed, I ended up putting it into bootloader mode with a small piece of foil and some electrical tape for where i would be holding it.  Worked like a charm :)

One small question though.  With my previous keyboards, I was able to wake up my computer from sleep by pressing any button.  With my Ducky Zero and the original Filco controller, it woke my computer up.. but with the Pegasus Hoof it does not.  Is there something I need to do to make this work, or is it just something that a replacement controller doesn't support?

Thanks!

Offline ZippCen

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:13:01 »
Ordered my 'Pegasus Hoof' On the 13th.
Sent on the 14th. Arrived in the UK on the 17th (Next working day)

Quickly flashed EasyAVR with dfu-programmer.exe using R_Shift+L_Shift to get into the bootloader.

Wrote a little batch script to flash the hex file so I can use the mouse to flash the board.

Really impressive.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:16:09 by ZippCen »

Offline samhwang

Replacement controllers
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 23:55:17 »
Hi bpiphany, Glad I could find you on GH as well :)

Since you mentioned that you happened to have the Hoof and HID Lib Device side by side for size comparison, can you show any images for it ?

// edit: if there's a stock controller for size comparison as well, I'd be grateful.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 14:57:30 »
Work in progress. Thanks, Bpiphany!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 12:57:43 »
I have added support for all my controllers to my fork of the tmk_keyboard firmware. I'll try to keep the tmk core up to date, if I can work out all the git magic.
https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:15:42 »
Short story (as a reminder this is still on). Reed switches are back. I found these "radial" lead magnetic sensors that fit the pin pitch. No more bending and cutting. They are slightly more expensive, and maybe a tad less sensitive, which is something positive or negative depending on what you are looking for. Ease of reset or protection from involuntary resets.. I'll save the few axial glass reed switches I have left for paws, squids, and petals.

I'm also experimenting with dip soldering the pins in a solder bath. That's not working too well yet...

114228-0

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:57:58 »
Hello,

I am interested in the Frosty Flake w/ QFR and have spent some time reading up on wikis and various links, but I just want to check my facts:

I'm forced to use more and more osx now because of work, and I can't stand the default keyboard layout.

Namely I dont want to use Fn-left/right/up/down for page up/down home/end.

I want to hardware map my page up key to Fn-left etc

I want custom layer mapping for the osx magic keys at the top row (volume, command control etc) and left the defaults as F1,F2... F12

Would this be doable?

Do I have to reprogram if I want to use my QFR on windows/linux?

I just need to get pop open the QFR and snap the The Frosty Flake in (baked) ? No soldering?

If it's more complicated than this, is there any custom builder that offer such service?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:02:05 by gh_pp »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline jenggo

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 04:09:20 »
Where can i get this controller for Majestouch 2 Camo

Mine was broken and i cant registered several button (shift, numlock, backspace, etc)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Filcos | JD40 | Planck | FJELL | Jetfire | Weaven | GON 60 | BWU | DasKeyboard | PokerII | Strafe | Octagon v2 | TX 1800 | TXCP | Realforce 104UB | KMAC 1 | TXPad | DC60 | Ergos