Author Topic: Replacement controllers  (Read 135741 times)

Offline samhwang

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Replacement controllers
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 04:22:58 »
Hello,

I want to hardware map my page up key to Fn-left etc
I want custom layer mapping for the osx magic keys at the top row (volume, command control etc) and left the defaults as F1,F2... F12
Would this be doable?

Would be possible, but as far as I know, these are the keys that will not work or codes for it doesn't exist: (referencing from my MBP 2014 that I have right now)
Media keys (only Play/Pause and volume keys are usable)
Launchpad, Command center
Contrast

(However, you can use Scroll Lock and Pause/Break key on a normal keyboard to adjust screen contrast, maybe remap fn keys to these keys ?)

Do I have to reprogram if I want to use my QFR on windows/linux?

No. To be honest, most firmwares are designed to work natively on windows, and then there comes the adaptation to Mac OSX and Linux. Windows to Linux hotkeys are straightforward, so far I only saw problems with Mac hotkeys.

I just need to get pop open the QFR and snap the The Frosty Flake in (baked) ? No soldering?

Yes. You need to remove the old controller and put the (soldered) Frosty Flake in the spot.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 09:59:51 »
Where can i get this controller for Majestouch 2 Camo

Show Image

Mine was broken and i cant registered several button (shift, numlock, backspace, etc)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Looks like the Kitten Paw. And you are sure it's the controller, and not the main board that is broken? Which keys more specifically doesn't work. Rows/columns from http://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_Matrix ?

Offline jenggo

« Reply #202 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:03:21 »
Where can i get this controller for Majestouch 2 Camo

Show Image

Mine was broken and i cant registered several button (shift, numlock, backspace, etc)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Looks like the Kitten Paw. And you are sure it's the controller, and not the main board that is broken? Which keys more specifically doesn't work. Rows/columns from http://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_Matrix ?

Yes i'm sure it's the controller,
i tried using the other majestouch 2 controller (non camo), and it work perfectly.

where can i buy that kitten paw?
Filcos | JD40 | Planck | FJELL | Jetfire | Weaven | GON 60 | BWU | DasKeyboard | PokerII | Strafe | Octagon v2 | TX 1800 | TXCP | Realforce 104UB | KMAC 1 | TXPad | DC60 | Ergos

Offline dorian

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:11:14 »
Would Frosty Flake and Ghost Squid still be available? And did I understand correctly that they both can be placed without any soldering?
Thank you!

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:13:10 »
bathroomepiphanies.com seems to still be running, the controllers should be available to be ordered. Send an email over to confirm.

:)
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline dorian

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:52:36 »
bathroomepiphanies.com seems to still be running, the controllers should be available to be ordered. Send an email over to confirm.

:)

Wow. Thank you! Been researching these things for 2 hours and I have not found his homepage.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:21:33 »
Would Frosty Flake and Ghost Squid still be available? And did I understand correctly that they both can be placed without any soldering?
Thank you!

The kit version requires soldering.  the assembled version requires no soldering.  It's just pull the old one and insert the new one.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:47:55 »
I discontinued the kits after starting to re-flow the controllers. Soldering is no longer a big chore for me, and the result is just so much better than hand soldering. If someone really really want a kit still, I can put them together. However it's a lot of work dragging all components out, cutting a set from all different rolls, marking them and so on. So you won't get any big discount at all for that.

An another new thing! Setbacks in "dip soldering" the header pins got me investigating other means of attaching them. Apparently press fit is gaining in popularity. Not with 2mm pitch though. Though someone pointed out that a square pin in a circular hole may lend itself to natural press fitting. I had some room over on a prototype board. I had a few different hole diameters, 0.50 mm the smallest. The pins require some force to go in. It would have been interesting to see if even smaller holes would have worked as well. Next time perhaps.. I'm typing on this very one Testy Flake at the moment.

125144-0

125142-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:50:36 by bpiphany »

Offline tuco

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 18:18:42 »
I've got a fullsize Filco Majestouch I bought new in 2009, the model number is FKBN104M/EB. I made the mistake of ordering a Kitten Paw without opening it up first. It appears that the controller parts are soldered directly to the main PCB and it does not have the removable style controller board the Kitten Paw is designed to replace. I didn't even look at the the compatibility list here. My PCB is CST-105C-N Ver 1.1.

Is it that my board is too old? Did they start the removable controller after mine was manufactured?

I am still happy to have the Kitten Paw and hopefully I can find another board to use it with in the future.

Thanks bpiphany for getting the boards to me.

Attached is a pic of the PCB:
128051-0

I also have a tenkeyless Filco that I bought a Pegasus Hoof for, and I am happy to report that it is resting nicely in its new home currently. So I am about to dive into the world of keyboard programming.
128063-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:01:18 by tuco »

Offline waffleboi9

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 05:16:06 »
@bpiphany thank you for your tireless efforts to free us from the bonds of non-programmable firmwares.

Quick question, is the Frosty Flake compatible with the QFRi ? No it's not.

EDIT: I answered my own question by reading a couple pages back. Thanks

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 05:20:53 by waffleboi9 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 16:22:41 »
Just got my Pegasus Hoof today. Works great so far!

I also ordered a spare PCB. I've searched and searched, but I can't find any BOM or other documentation on which components I need to build this thing. Am I missing something?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 02:21:37 »
Instructions

I'm currently out of Pegasus Hoofs. I've just placed an order with pcbwing for more PCBs. They will probably be a couple of weeks though. I'll post an update when I have more built.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:55:21 »
Thanks for the instructions. I visited the DT wiki page, but I guess I didn't look closely enough.

I have to say I think the cost for a fully-assembled board is very fair. I ordered the spare PCB in addition to a fully-assembled Pegasus Hoof. I did this mainly because it looked like a fun little project and I've been looking for a good reason to practice SMD soldering. I used the info on the DT wiki to build a BOM at Digi-Key, which came to about $16 shipped. Add to that the cost of the PCB ($5) and the assembly & soldering time, and $30 for an assembled board seems like a steal.

And finally, can I just say the reed switch for magnetic reset is just pure genius.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:02:06 »
So I just finished soldering the components on my barebones Pegasus Hoof. My first SMD soldering job. It's ugly, but I think it's electrically sound.

Does the atmega32u2 come pre-flashed with a USB bootloader or do I need to do something with ISP to get it set up for first-time use?

My boards:
More

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:21:47 »
Congratulations! =D

The ATmegas come with a DFU compatible bootloader.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 13:57:11 »
Pegasus Hoofs are back in stock. They are now green with white silk screen. Green seems to handle the solder process better. Other than that they are exactly the same 20150108 revision as before.

Edit: Added photo
131156-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 08:48:13 by bpiphany »

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 20:06:04 »
Having an issue flashing my frosty flake. I can get it to seemingly go into boot mode (usb disconnects and connects, and the keyboard stops functioning) but the device wont show up on atmel flip or dfu programmer. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 00:46:28 »
Having an issue flashing my frosty flake. I can get it to seemingly go into boot mode (usb disconnects and connects, and the keyboard stops functioning) but the device wont show up on atmel flip or dfu programmer. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Using Windows?..

Has it worked before? With Windows there always seem to be a driver issue =P Even when it worked before. Try the usual, other computer, other OS, other everything. There should be others here with more Windows experience than me. Let us know how it works out.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 05:14:14 »
I don't have another computer, but I'll see if I can try on a roommates. And no, haven't been able to program before. I'll see what a reboot does.

Also the winlock LED stays on and I don't know how to turn it off...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 08:38:45 »
I don't have another computer, but I'll see if I can try on a roommates. And no, haven't been able to program before. I'll see what a reboot does.

Did you install the Atmel driver on the ATmega32U2 device?

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 09:31:55 »

Not sure what you mean by that, so I'm going to assume no. I bought one preassembled though, if that makes a difference.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 09:36:34 »

Not sure what you mean by that, so I'm going to assume no. I bought one preassembled though, if that makes a difference.

I'm talking about the Windows driver.  It's installed in Windows.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 01:54:56 »

How do I install the windows driver  for pegasus hoof? I'm stucked on this step.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 02:19:14 »

How do I install the windows driver  for pegasus hoof? I'm stucked on this step.

Once you put the Hoof in boot mode, it will appear in the device manager in windows. Right click and update drivers. Point to the Atmel-catalogue and install. After this device manager will update and voila! From here you'll find it in flip as well.

Offline vegs

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 16:07:23 »
I'm having some issues with the Pegasus Hoof in my Filco MJ2. I just flashed my first firmware - but most of the keys in the bottom row won't react. I can't seem to get it back into bootmode either (I programmed the pause key to act as boot).

Edit: fixed bootmode, but still having issues with bottom row.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2016, 17:33:28 by Veggis »
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 23:55:30 »
Did it work before flashing your firmware? Which keys are failing more specifically? Are they gathered in a row or column here? https://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_Matrix

Offline vegs

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 04:52:14 »
Did it work before flashing your firmware? Which keys are failing more specifically? Are they gathered in a row or column here? https://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_Matrix
Everything works now. It was just an issue with EasyAVR.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 09:15:40 »
It did line up with a row in the costar matrix.  Looks like I made a mistake translating the crazy map into the new version.  I just re-copied the whole thing from bpiphany's code.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 21:23:38 »
Good thing it was sorted out =) I just woke up remembering someone had a similar problem when by mistake selecting the wrong version of hoof. Probably wasn't the case this time then.

Offline chron

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 11:26:43 »
I was curious if the Ghost Squid replacement controller would enable NKRO when using USB with the QuickFire XT keyboard? Or would PS/2 still be needed to achieve NKRO?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 16:35:35 »
I was curious if the Ghost Squid replacement controller would enable NKRO when using USB with the QuickFire XT keyboard? Or would PS/2 still be needed to achieve NKRO?

It should, both with tmk and Easy AVR, I think. My firmware doesn't support it though.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 12:14:52 »
Got mine earlier this week! Have delayed putting it since I lent my QFR to a coworker who spilled coffee on his keyboard. Looking forward to it though! Thanks!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 14:10:19 »
I have what appears to be the original version of the Pegasus Hoof. When I flash it, only certain keys work. Full sections such as "QWER" don't. I can swap keys "CTRL and CAPS" for example, and the keyboard does have the changes after the flash, so it is working to an extent. Any ideas?
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #233 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 09:44:09 »
I have what appears to be the original version of the Pegasus Hoof. When I flash it, only certain keys work. Full sections such as "QWER" don't. I can swap keys "CTRL and CAPS" for example, and the keyboard does have the changes after the flash, so it is working to an extent. Any ideas?

Are you compiling for the correct version of the Hoof? Which firmware are you using? What's the revision number on the Hoof?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 14:17:18 »

Are you compiling for the correct version of the Hoof? Which firmware are you using? What's the revision number on the Hoof?

I should say the controller was used so who knows what happened to it.

its Revision 20131001. Using Rev. 1 in Easy AVR with the latest version of easy AVR keymapper

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 17:31:22 »
That sure sounds like it should be correct.

Here you'll find which keys belong to which columns and rows https://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_Matrix If you can identify which columns/rows that doesn't work it will probably help debugging. And if it's full rows/columns. Probably column 5 is out on yours by the sound of it.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 17:34:55 »
That sure sounds like it should be correct.

Here you'll find which keys belong to which columns and rows https://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_Matrix If you can identify which columns/rows that doesn't work it will probably help debugging. And if it's full rows/columns. Probably column 5 is out on yours by the sound of it.

Yup, exactly the issue. Will just snag another one  :thumb: Thanks for the link, just what i needed.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 02:20:00 »
Just to be sure, try this hex-file https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/costar_keyboard/blob/master/binaries/hoof_20131001_ANSI_ISO_JIS.hex

And (as always) make sure to get the actual hex-file, not the html. The atmega won't eat html...

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #238 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 07:33:49 »
Just to be sure, try this hex-file https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/costar_keyboard/blob/master/binaries/hoof_20131001_ANSI_ISO_JIS.hex

And (as always) make sure to get the actual hex-file, not the html. The atmega won't eat html...

haha, had I tried to feet my atmega html I'd have much bigger issues i think  :))

Will give that a shot later though, thanks  :thumb:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 08:13:15 »

I should say the controller was used so who knows what happened to it.

its Revision 20131001. Using Rev. 1 in Easy AVR with the latest version of easy AVR keymapper

Latest or better than latest?  Veggis had a problem with his v1 Hoof and this version fixed it.  The one I downloaded still shows version 2_03_01 so I guess it's not updated yet, hopefully you're on Windows...

Try this version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze2zsk0ejuvylc7/easykeymap_windows_2_03_02.zip?dl=0

Remember this is a hardware change so you should make a new layout from scratch
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nikchi

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 16:27:49 »
Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to get a full pinout diagram for the frosty flake?

I want to know if the rx/tx pins are broken out and if they're at all used in the current firmware.
I want to do something like this https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3psx0q/the_planck_keyboard_with_bluetooth_guide_and/ with just the bluetooth HID and rx/tx.

All other options are to redirect D-/D+ into yet another microcontroller to interface with the bluetooth HID

Edit: looked a bit harder and found schematics on deskthority, seems like on the frosty flake all the pins are basically used, the TX in being used as RowA. Seems like it'll have to be an extra board after all
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 June 2016, 16:55:09 by nikchi »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 23:34:27 »
Have a look at this instead. The Voice of Reason is sort of a superset of the Flake

It has TR/TX broken out to the somewhat modified ISP header
https://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Voice_of_Reason_Components.PNG

Offline nikchi

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 11:58:06 »
Have a look at this instead. The Voice of Reason is sort of a superset of the Flake

It has TR/TX broken out to the somewhat modified ISP header
https://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Voice_of_Reason_Components.PNG

Well then, this looks very promising. If you ever decide to make these for sale, I'll be one of the first to buy one, my frosty flake has been a great purchase.

Would you happen to know if it would run on 3.7V?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 14:32:03 »
According to the datasheet the ATmega won't operate reliably at 16MHz. I'm not sure how fast it needs to run to handle the USB communication. At 3.7V I guess you are running from battery, otherwise a simple regulator would do..

It's mostly laziness that I haven't offered them yet. They are a bit more expensive component wise, but I think $35 probably would be fair. You can certainly have one at that price if you like =) You may want to wish for custom value LED resistors if you're going to try it out at 3.7V, and you probably want it missing a few legs to make it Flake compatible.

Offline nikchi

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 16:02:03 »
Custom value LED resistors for the QFR leds or on the voice itself? If it's the ones on the QFR, the worst that can happen is dim LEDs right?

3.7V would be the ideal case, but there's also the option of just using a boost converter.

If that's the price for one without the extra pins and there isn't any problems with resistors on the controller, I'll definitely send you a PM. By the time it gets here from Sweden, Voice will probably have tmk support right?  :)) :))

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 08:47:22 »
TMK support added. That was trixy as always =P It didn't help that I had removed the wrong pins from the controller...

The only resistors for the LEDs are on the controller. They may get dim with lower voltages. At least if they are red they shouldn't require very high voltage to operate. I also realized I made them 0402's which I have a smaller assortment of...

Offline nikchi

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 09:41:51 »
 ;D

I hope you have enough for at least one more
Sent a PM

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 15:10:32 »
I have plenty =)

I don't remember how many times I've had to google this thread, but resistor/LED values. To get 6mA with 3.7V, 288Ω resistors would be needed. 220Ω is a common value and would probably be fine.

I happen to have 0402 resistors of values 22 39 47 62 91 100 150 220 470 1000 2200 4700 10000

So I could make you one with 220Ω resistors. If you need to step up to 5V and they get too bright PWM can probably relieve that.

I've also added the Voice of Reason to the original post.

Offline nikchi

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 16:25:36 »
The default resistors should be fine, I've found the Adafruit Powerboost 500C and that looks like it'll handle the boost conversion just fine while providing power.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 12:03:09 »
There is a New Kitten Paw since some time back. costar_keyboard and tmk_keyboard support is live, Easy AVR will be soon I hope.

This particular one is a bit banged up. I consider it prototyping damage. I don't have a photo of a tidier one at the moment. I will send nice good looking ones out for the full $30 price =)

It's built around this new core module with the intention of using it for future controllers. If anyone wants a stand-alone one that can be agreed upon via PM.

142291-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2016, 12:09:25 by bpiphany »