Author Topic: How to buy or sell something on Geekhack - a classifieds tutorial!  (Read 193521 times)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • snoozing
How to buy or sell something on Geekhack - a classifieds tutorial!
« on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 15:22:21 »
You want to sell or buy something through geekhack?
Great! But there are certain rules for creating a classifieds thread:

• Creating sale / trade threads in the Classifieds subforum is limited to Geekhack.org users who have been members of the forum for at least 2 months and have 25 or higher post count.
  • Do not post advertisements outside of the Classifieds and External Auctions subforums.
  • Do not sell or trade engineering samples or anything that violates US federal, state, or local laws, including but not limited to: copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent, NDA, or EULA.
  • Use the Artisan Services section for any custom services, such as keyboard modification (including soldering services for sale), keyboard accessory-making services (including custom keycaps, wrist rests, sleeved cables, controllers), and the like.
  • Do not create more than two active Classifieds threads at any one time.  Close old threads once the transactions are complete (i.e., payment has been made and the item(s) have been shipped and received). If you have multiple items to buy or sell simultaneously, one unified thread is highly encouraged (but please avoid listing too many items at the same time). Only post a second thread if the nature of the items or transaction is significantly different from the first.
  • Only list for sale or trade items that are already in your possession.  Include clear photographs of your items (in good light -- no blurry night-time “potato shots”) along with proof of ownership, such as your Geekhack.org user name and current date appearing next to your goods
The title:
In the title of the thread you have to address what you are looking for or what you want to sell. An easy way to do this is to use Title prefixes:
[WTB] = "want to buy"
[FS] / [WTS] = "for sale" / "want to sell"
[FT] / [WTT] = "for trade" / "want to trade"
For example if I want to sell my Poker 2 I would put "WTS Poker 2" in the title of my classifieds post. If you are selling multiple things or want to both sell and buy something you can post it like this for example: "WTS Poker 2, WTB Blue keycaps".

The body:
Here you explain what you are looking for in detail. If you are selling something you have to post a picture, to verify that you possess this item. This picture must include:
  • The item you are selling
  • Your GH username and the date the picture was taken on
Here is an example of this picture:

• In the body of the post you must also include the price of your item. This could be either including or excluding shipping. If you are uncertain of the value of your item you can always visit Price Check- What's it Worth?
  • In the body you must also describe the conition of the item.
  • Trade-only threads/items do not require an explicit listed price and Shipping and payment terms should also be explicitly listed (this includes any shipping zone restrictions, such as “CONUS only”). The item description must also describe what you are selling or trading.

An example of a correct classifieds post:

Hurray! Now you are done with your classifieds post, but before the post reach the classifieds section a moderator has to check it.
Paying or recieving money for an item
The most common way of paying for an item in the classifieds is via paypal and I would suggest to always pay with the "goods or service" alternative. This protects you from scams, but remember to include the fee if you choose this alternative.

Auctions are not allowed in the Classifieds subforum. If you wish to sell your items as auctions, please use appropriate sites like Ebay for example. To advertise your Auction you may link it in the External Auction Links subforum.

Bumping
If you wish to bump your classifieds thread you are not allowed to do so until at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post. Don't bump other members' Classifieds posts.

Keeping your Classifieds thread relevant
If you sold an item or are looking to find another item, simply edit your thread. Do not create a new thread.

Now you are ready to make your own classifieds post!
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:39:36 by Signature »
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: How to buy or sell something on Geekhack - a classifieds tutorial!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 19:33:36 »
thanks for the write up!!! :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 19:38:41 »
Hey, that's an awesome guide. Must read for anyone wishing to sell/trade via the Classifieds or Artisan Services!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Time
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 19:57:32 »
Sigh I would have actually bought the LED tester and led's
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 00:18:35 »
Why do you need a dedicated LED tester? Is that any superior to a multimeter with LED testing functions? My tool box is more than full and extra tools aren't always needed.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tbc

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 01:56:52 »
isn't it way simpler when you're testing hundreds of leds?

if you're testing leds for brokenness, i find that using a watch battery is very easy.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Time
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 02:53:37 »
Been messing around with capacitors to attain a certain hue, getting shock a lot when I was younger makes me want to avoid that sooo badly even if its just a watch battery haha
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 07:02:15 »
Been messing around with capacitors to attain a certain hue, getting shock a lot when I was younger makes me want to avoid that sooo badly even if its just a watch battery haha

If you use a pair of kitchen gloves that should help avoid shock.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 05:53:19 »
Thanks for this! good to know as a newcomer
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline girldc

• Don't know about me? I am that girldc!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 06:41:39 »
 ;D Thank you for specific information!
wanna have it?
can make it!

girldc

www.girldc.com

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 18:45:10 »
Bumping
If you wish to bump your classifieds thread you are allowed to do so until at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post. Don't bump other members' Classifieds posts.
Methinks there's a "not" missing in there - there's no point bumping an active thread.  Other than that good guide :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 14:06:27 »
Bumping
If you wish to bump your classifieds thread you are allowed to do so until at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post. Don't bump other members' Classifieds posts.
Methinks there's a "not" missing in there - there's no point bumping an active thread.  Other than that good guide :)
Don't really understand what you are suggesting but the main function with bumping is to make your own sale thread visible more often. A lot of classifieds threads aren't "active" since business usally goes through PMs, but there might be something I'm missing

Offline kydmirror

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 07:40:30 »
Thanks for this! good to know as a newcomer

Offline tbc

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 00:55:29 »
Bumping
Don't really understand what you are suggesting but the main function with bumping is to make your own sale thread visible more often. A lot of classifieds threads aren't "active" since business usally goes through PMs, but there might be something I'm missing

"you are [not] allowed to do so until"
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline PhatCraqHo

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 18:12:28 »
Thanks man, will make sure i do it correctly now :D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:19:48 »
Bumping
Sorry, didn't check back here. 

I think it should be changed to the below because I read it as saying that if no-one posts in the thread for 24 hours you aren't allowed to bump it and surely that's not right?  One bold NOT added :)

If you wish to bump your classifieds thread you are NOT allowed to do so until at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post. Don't bump other members' Classifieds posts.

or maybe

If you wish to bump your classifieds thread you can do so only after at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post. Don't bump other members' Classifieds posts.
Not sure which is more English as second+ language friendly, it's my first but I'm told my sentence structure is weird :-[
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:24:37 »
Bumping

I think it should be changed to the below because I read it as saying that if no-one posts in the thread for 24 hours you aren't allowed to bump it and surely that's not right?  One bold NOT added :)

If you wish to bump your classifieds thread you are NOT allowed to do so until at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post. Don't bump other members' Classifieds posts.

or maybe

If you wish to bump your classifieds thread you can do so only after at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post. Don't bump other members' Classifieds posts.
Not sure which is more English as second+ language friendly, it's my first but I'm told my sentence structure is weird :-[

I can understand where you are having your misunderstanding. You cannot bump your own post more than once every 24 hours. So, once you have posted for your bump, you must wait 24 hours before bumping your thread once again. If somebody else posts in your thread asking for an item, you may respond, and we consider this a free bump that does not change anything in the 24 hour bump window that you are allowed.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:41:30 »
Bumping

or maybe

I edited it, hope it solves the issue. As you may know English is my second language

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:01:49 »
I edited it, hope it solves the issue. As you may know English is my second language
:eek: I would never have guessed, so many native English speaking kids can't even get then/than right while you're writing guides in a second language.  Good work!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:08:02 »
:eek: I would never have guessed, so many native English speaking kids can't even get then/than right while you're writing guides in a second language.  Good work!
Well still learning English in high school, but I appriceate that you point out mistakes! Helps me improve :)

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:15:18 »
Well still learning English in high school, but I appriceate that you point out mistakes! Helps me improve :)

Your english is very good dude, I didn't notice any mistakes =)

Offline techy1

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:57:19 »
I need to rack up those posts. I need to post an AD. Thanks!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 16:00:51 »
I need to rack up those posts. I need to post an AD. Thanks!

Fair warning off topic, classifieds, and new members sections don't count toward post count.  Plus you need two months of membership as well.  You can still buy, sell, and post in classifieds, you just can't start a new thread.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ThatRusty

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 00:28:17 »
Great write up, thanks for the info!
Current Build - ErgoMini

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 21:34:30 »
I was wondering why I couldnt make my own thread! I just answered my own question!

Offline metal369

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Singlepath
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 19:19:49 »
Thank you very much. I got it :)
Hi there!

Offline damirdoma

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 18:34:01 »
Thanks.

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 13:17:10 »
Thanks for the write-up. I'm just short of 25 posts. Is that why I don't see any way to post a thread in here?

Offline pryedthirdeye

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 22:16:21 »
Hello,

New to all of this.. Created a thread but is stuck waiting on approval.  Is there someone we need to contact to have it approved or will someone get to it eventually?

Thanks

clicky clicky

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 22:22:04 »
Hello,

New to all of this.. Created a thread but is stuck waiting on approval.  Is there someone we need to contact to have it approved or will someone get to it eventually?

Thanks
Mods have to approve it, give them a day or so, especially since GH just went back up

Offline pryedthirdeye

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 22:27:26 »
Oh ok, makes sense.  Thanks for the reply!
clicky clicky

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 10:56:56 »
Thanks for the write-up. I'm just short of 25 posts. Is that why I don't see any way to post a thread in here?

You've now passed beyond 25 posts, so this has changed - but that's correct, you won't see the button until you meet the requirements.

Hello,

Thanks
Mods have to approve it, give them a day or so, especially since GH just went back up

Feel free to PM a mod asking for approval - I certainly don't mind that.  The system "reminds" us about unapproved posts every so often, but no one likes to wait for that so don't be afraid to ask.   :thumb:

Offline pryedthirdeye

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 11:58:06 »
Cool, I appreciate it thanks!
clicky clicky

Offline dohbot

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 17:45:26 »
I am confused, there is no button for New Topic. I have 32 posts and I made this account June 22nd, this should work, any ideas why it doesn't? Am I doing something so incredibly stupid that I just haven't realized?
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 17:51:06 »
I am confused, there is no button for New Topic. I have 32 posts and I made this account June 22nd, this should work, any ideas why it doesn't? Am I doing something so incredibly stupid that I just haven't realized?

says you have 24 posts for me still
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline dohbot

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 17:53:54 »
I just checked and it said that I have 32... Oh well, I guess this could count as my 25th...  :p

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 17:54:30 »
I just checked and it said that I have 32... Oh well, I guess this could count as my 25th...  :p

No it doesn't  :p

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 17:59:18 »

posts in classifieds dont count
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 18:02:03 »

Nor does off topic :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline dohbot

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 19:38:34 »

Is there a way to check how many posts I now have in non-classifieds and off-topics? And which places would value my opinion?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 19:49:42 »

Is there a way to check how many posts I now have in non-classifieds and off-topics? And which places would value my opinion?
You can see your post count on your profile
 page.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 23:05:23 »

It's the one right below your name.  :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 06:49:57 »
Am I the only one who asks potential buyers if they have any feedback or trade history?

Specifically with higher priced items and when the potential buyer is newer (sometimes brand new) with zero posts.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 06:51:37 »
Am I the only one who asks potential buyers if they have any feedback or trade history?

Specifically with higher priced items and when the potential buyer is newer (sometimes brand new) with zero posts.
I usually don't trade nor sell to people I haven't seen on the forum before.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 06:52:34 »

But no one else ever wants my stuff! :(

Offline JohnLuker

• Torque it down 'til it strips, then back it down
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:52:17 »

That's interesting. I can see not trading with someone you're not familiar with. Not selling something to someone, on the other hand, I don't understand. Well, assuming they're not asking you to take a 3rd party check from a bank in Elbonia.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:20:55 »

That's interesting. I can see not trading with someone you're not familiar with. Not selling something to someone, on the other hand, I don't understand. Well, assuming they're not asking you to take a 3rd party check from a bank in Elbonia.
Well, it's pretty easy to withdraw a payment from paypal without reason so I guess that's why I'm hesitant to sell stuff.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:35:28 »

Well, it's pretty easy to withdraw a payment from paypal without reason so I guess that's why I'm hesitant to sell stuff.

Yeah, PayPal always siding with the buyer means there is basically no protection for the seller.  Gotta do your own homework on who you're selling to and hope they don't screw you.  Much easier to just sell to friends, TBH.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:06:18 »
Just a heads up for anyone who doesn't know but USPS are raising shipping rates tomorrow, including discontinuing the cheaper price normally available using click-n-ship.

This page has some good info about the increases.

http://www.fp-usa.com/ratechange/january-17-2016-rate-increase/

Offline GaM3 Is H4rD

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 14:44:13 »
Hi!
I have been member of GH for more than 2 months. Mostly I just checking stuff and buy things I like. Also did make couple deal so far.
- Now I want to make a post that I can look for some more keycap set that I want and been chasing after it for months but I can't.
- Do I have to do something else or pay something then I can post ?
- Thanks