Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 643675 times)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #2900 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 09:20:02 »
?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2019, 22:20:50 by Snowdog993 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2901 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 09:21:42 »
Currently looking at a new company car but having a hard time to decide on what to buy. Belgian tax regulations are changing next year and to have the car still be somewhat deductible, I'd have to buy a (PH)EV... Tesla Model 3 or Polestar 2 is looking mighty interesting.

But on the other hand, I'd love something that says vroom.

Rs6 avant says vroom
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2902 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:20:01 »
...hard time to decide on what to buy. Belgian tax regulations are changing next year and to have the car still be somewhat deductible

I'm concerned I guess... Tax concerning cars in Belgium are region-dependent that said (for example Wallonie has a CO2 tax while Brussels doesnt and, say, the age to be considered an oldtimer is different in the north than in the south: 25 years + transition period vs 30).

What is changing next year? Does it have something to do with tax deduction when you buy in the name of a company?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2903 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 09:48:33 »
?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2019, 22:20:38 by Snowdog993 »

Offline whinmeister

« Reply #2904 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 15:55:00 »
What are your thoughts about the new Toyota Zupra? Get it? ;)

Offline yuppie

« Reply #2905 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 15:58:58 »
I got a Tesla Model 3 a few weeks ago and have been loving it. The ride is so quiet and smooth, comparable to a BMW. Handling is responsive and can even be adjusted.

Charging is take a little bit of getting used to; I'm having to charge every other day or every 3 days, which is a slight change from ICE cars. However, the whole experience has been wonderful and I can't see myself going back to a gas car in the future.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2906 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 16:31:31 »

They look really nice up close. Sad they aren’t manual. Even worse is the 20k mark up I’ve seen.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2907 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 18:09:19 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2019, 14:45:23 by dgneo »

Offline iri

« Reply #2908 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 05:11:19 »
Charging is take a little bit of getting used to; I'm having to charge every other day or every 3 days, which is a slight change from ICE cars.
Saves time on getting to a petrol station and standing outside the car holding the nozzle.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2909 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 09:00:49 »
Rs6 avant says vroom

I'd pay taxes up the wazzoo sadly :(

...hard time to decide on what to buy. Belgian tax regulations are changing next year and to have the car still be somewhat deductible

I'm concerned I guess... Tax concerning cars in Belgium are region-dependent that said (for example Wallonie has a CO2 tax while Brussels doesnt and, say, the age to be considered an oldtimer is different in the north than in the south: 25 years + transition period vs 30).

What is changing next year? Does it have something to do with tax deduction when you buy in the name of a company?

Right now, EV's are 120% deductible and most ICE vehicles 75%. Next year they're changing it to a formula: 120% - (co2 * 0.5 * fuelCoefficient). The fuelCoefficient is .95 for gas and 1 for diesel. So say you have a diesel car that has 120g/km co2 exhaust, it'll only be 60% deductible.

I got a Tesla Model 3 a few weeks ago and have been loving it. The ride is so quiet and smooth, comparable to a BMW. Handling is responsive and can even be adjusted.

Charging is take a little bit of getting used to; I'm having to charge every other day or every 3 days, which is a slight change from ICE cars. However, the whole experience has been wonderful and I can't see myself going back to a gas car in the future.
Doing a test drive with a Model 3 this Friday. I've rented a Model S a couple times in the past and they were amazing.
pls gief bbv2

Offline yuppie

« Reply #2910 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 10:50:55 »

Doing a test drive with a Model 3 this Friday. I've rented a Model S a couple times in the past and they were amazing.
[/quote]

The Model S is beautiful, it's just quite expensive. Starting at $70k, it's comparable to a lot of other sports cars out there, although the other ones don't drive themselves.  :cool:
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2911 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 14:18:59 »

Looks kinda sweet but it's pricey. I think you could have fun for less money. I don't see it as a good daily, it'd probably be just alright with the limited space for passengers and cargo.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2912 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 14:47:18 »
The Model S is beautiful, it's just quite expensive. Starting at $70k, it's comparable to a lot of other sports cars out there, although the other ones don't drive themselves.  :cool:

The S is indeed amazing. But don't know if I can or want to afford it. The test drive with the Model 3 was a lot of fun. Really tempted... What Model 3 version do you have? We test drove one with the performance upgrade. I'm wondering how much difference there is with the regular long range model.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2019, 14:48:52 by Brammm87 »
pls gief bbv2

Offline whinmeister

« Reply #2913 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 20:11:01 »
Folks that own the Model 3 have nothing but good things to say about it. Even Model S folks say it drives much better as it has more tuned suspension. With the performance package, the Model 3 is very fast. Of course, that'll cut into the how long the battery last.

Offline Nerd

• Nerd (Aka Alex) Aka Garbage. Sister: @sintpinty
    • My Youtube channel!
« Reply #2914 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 11:03:13 »
Where are all the car fanatics on GH?

While cars aren't typically a geeky thing, there are so many different makes, models, mods, tunability potential in different cars that I consider it to be.  ^-^

Personally some of my favorites (so you get an idea of what I like):
E30 M3
E46 M3
Lancia Intergrale Evo II
R34 Skyline GT-R

I wish i could get a pontiac 74.
G-Wagen (with appropriate offroad mods)

While I don't really care for expensive exotics, I really love impressive cars that got great handling and balance (power as well), and incredibly capable ones such as the G-Wagen that can handle many terrains.

What does everyone like? Feel free to post whatever you want, as there are so many different types of cars (trucks), and it would be cool to see what everyone's preferences are  :thumb:
"The world's nerdiest nerd that loves Youtube."

Consider subscribing to my channel, TanookiAlex. That would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Link is: Youtube.com/c/tanookialex.

*  Subscriber Goal - 735/1000 *

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2915 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 21:44:49 »
Q: Which car is best?

A:

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2916 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 22:21:50 »

A:
Show Image

I gave up trying to figure it out. You must be right.

Offline iri

« Reply #2917 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 07:02:15 »

A:
Show Image

Mmmmmm... No.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2918 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 13:10:00 »
Had a second test drive with the Model 3 today. Will probably be ordering the Performance one as soon as the quote from the bank comes back.
pls gief bbv2

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2919 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 16:24:14 »
Not much happened here since my last post except this:

pls gief bbv2

Offline iri

« Reply #2920 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 14:10:03 »
Is that your new company car Bram?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2921 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 09:08:51 »
Is that your new company car Bram?
It is. Taking it to a detailer end of this year to have the windows tinted and do a chrome delete.
pls gief bbv2

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2922 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 11:01:56 »
Hello,
What is the best car insurance in Singapore ?

Interesting first post...do you guys have car insurance brokers? That's how I ended up finding the best insurance plan for me

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2923 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 02:22:47 »
The Renault Alpine A110 is such a beautiful and unique car no one ever talks about.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2924 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 08:45:49 »

Not bad looking!
At the moment I really dig this:
239338-0

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2925 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 02:10:29 »
The Renault Alpine A110 is such a beautiful and unique car no one ever talks about.

I don't think it helped that when they tried to revive it it caught fire.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #2926 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 02:40:22 »
Any KEI truck fans in here? I'm trying to get a Honda ACTY in the states before they become too overpriced.
239575-0

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2927 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 02:57:14 »
Any KEI truck fans in here? I'm trying to get a Honda ACTY in the states before they become too overpriced.
(Attachment Link)

I like that. Reminds me a lot of the Bedford Rascal.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2928 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 03:34:43 »
(Attachment Link)
OH BBY YOU Speaking my language now. I want a Suzuki carry 4wd so badsies.

Offline tentboy

« Reply #2929 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 08:42:46 »
although racing is on hold for a bit - but my showroom spec miata race car

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2930 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 17:35:54 »
Anyone here watch Doug DeMuro? Was binging Jay's Garage episodes and discovered his channel and I've been on a Doug kick for like 48hrs.
That Vector W8 he reviews is one of the sickest machines I've ever seen in my life.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2931 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 18:51:55 »
Anyone here watch Doug DeMuro? Was binging Jay's Garage episodes and discovered his channel and I've been on a Doug kick for like 48hrs.
That Vector W8 he reviews is one of the sickest machines I've ever seen in my life.

Doug is great. Some of the cars he reviews I never knew extisted.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2932 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 04:05:29 »

Yup sometimes I do. I like it when it's about a car I'm really considering or really like because he goes on very in-depth (I mean: he shows many of the functionalities and describes nearly everything).

He did one on my daily driver recently, "Here's Why a Used Porsche Panamera Is a Sub-$30,000 Bargain":

https://youtu.be/EAezax2ugQU

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2933 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 04:10:19 »
And for car lovers, probably the biggest barn find ever in the automotive history just happened:

https://youtu.be/uORnVGiXSKI

If the cars are not all replica (and I doubt they're all replicas), there's a Ferrari P330, Ford GT40s, Shelby AC Cobra, Ferrari 365 Daytona, Bizzarrini, Noble, one off racing cars, Ferrari 308 / 328, Honda Acura NSX, Lotus, Porsche...  There are hundreds of cars stashed there.

Altogether if these cars aren't replicas, it's probably worth more than the Baillon collection barn find from a few years ago (where a Ferrari 250 GT California was found among others).
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 04:16:43 by TacticalCoder »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2934 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 04:31:05 »
And for car lovers, probably the biggest barn find ever in the automotive history just happened:

https://youtu.be/uORnVGiXSKI

If the cars are not all replica (and I doubt they're all replicas), there's a Ferrari P330, Ford GT40s, Shelby AC Cobra, Ferrari 365 Daytona, Bizzarrini, Noble, one off racing cars, Ferrari 308 / 328, Honda Acura NSX, Lotus, Porsche...  There are hundreds of cars stashed there.

Altogether if these cars aren't replicas, it's probably worth more than the Baillon collection barn find from a few years ago (where a Ferrari 250 GT California was found among others).

Over 300 cars that haven't seen the light of day in 40 years. People like that should be dragged into a field and shot in the head.

Offline yui

« Reply #2935 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 05:02:25 »
(Attachment Link)

I like that. Reminds me a lot of the Bedford Rascal.
well the rascal is a rebaged suzuki carry key truck
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2936 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 22:37:54 »

doug definitely picks out some cool cars and showcases some real dream rides but he's kind of a tweaker to me.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2937 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 22:50:16 »

doug definitely picks out some cool cars and showcases some real dream rides but he's kind of a tweaker to me.

Yeah meth is a hell of a drug.

Offline bliss

« Reply #2938 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 12:47:44 »
Love Doug's channel, because he shows you small things about the cars that normally only the owner would know. Where's the cigarette lighter in the new Corvette? Speaking of which, that's a modern car I could live with despite this touch screen bs. But the Corvette engineers did a good job to defuse potential annoyances. And who has a car with two trunks?

Also, I share the passion for quirks'n'features:
My favorite examples include the two keys (one red, the other black) for the Hellcat: the former gives you 700 hp, the latter a mere 500 (for "when your daughter drives to prom"). Great episode, by the way!
The Jaguar XJ220 is one huge quirk, I would love to have one as my daily driver, but parking is impossible with this flatfish. That is the reason a Fiat 500 Abarth is much better... and so on.

Always funny are the episodes with small cars like said Fiat or communist cars of course (Yugo, Trabant!). These cars a even more funny if you have a Ford GT, an Aston Martin and much more at home in your garage, like DeMuro.

My fave episode is the Lancia Delta Integrale, it is exactly as Doug describes it.

I contemplate getting a Nismo GT-R just for the power-seat control.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2939 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 16:53:32 »
The thing about touchscreens is they always age poorly. I think it's a huge mistake for modern manufacturers to be putting them in everything. Make it detachable, don't build it into the dash. 20 years from now they will look terrible and tacky, not work well, and be difficult to replace.

Offline diseeease

« Reply #2940 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 23:39:09 »
Finally got my toy back on the road the other day.

'87 Porsche 944 S.

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
« Reply #2941 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 08:09:17 »
Love Doug's channel, because he shows you small things about the cars that normally only the owner would know. Where's the cigarette lighter in the new Corvette? Speaking of which, that's a modern car I could live with despite this touch screen bs. But the Corvette engineers did a good job to defuse potential annoyances. And who has a car with two trunks?

Also, I share the passion for quirks'n'features:
My favorite examples include the two keys (one red, the other black) for the Hellcat: the former gives you 700 hp, the latter a mere 500 (for "when your daughter drives to prom"). Great episode, by the way!
The Jaguar XJ220 is one huge quirk, I would love to have one as my daily driver, but parking is impossible with this flatfish. That is the reason a Fiat 500 Abarth is much better... and so on.

Always funny are the episodes with small cars like said Fiat or communist cars of course (Yugo, Trabant!). These cars a even more funny if you have a Ford GT, an Aston Martin and much more at home in your garage, like DeMuro.

My fave episode is the Lancia Delta Integrale, it is exactly as Doug describes it.

I contemplate getting a Nismo GT-R just for the power-seat control.

I also really love Doug's channel. I just wish he made vintage car videos (30s-60s), even if it was just once a month. It’s not going to be as popular as a new Ferrari, but c’mon I wanna see a C2 corvette or something.

My fave vid is also the Lancia Delta Integrale. Well, it’s my dream car, so I’m biased.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2942 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 08:32:31 »
'87 Porsche 944 S.

Lovely, it looks like it's pristine: it's been entirely restored?

My favorite car brand and it shows:  I've got two: a '88 Carrera (which I have since 20+ years now and which used to be my daily driver... Never restored, never repainted... One day I'll need to sadly fork out big $$$ to restore it) and a 2013 Panamera as my daily driver (more like "daily non-driver" atm with the lockdown).

Offline diseeease

« Reply #2943 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:25:32 »
It's actually never been restored!

The previous owner babied it a bit and drove it very rarely. First owner had it from 1987 until 2012, second owner had it until last year when I bought it. Last owner barely drove 1000km a year with it. Sadly, it showed a bit. As far as the body and interior go, the car is immaculate. The engine bay and underneath looked immaculate, but he really only spent the bare necessities to keep it running. I've had to do quite a lot of maintenance to get it back up to spec - or, to be more correct, I still have to do it, as I'm only partially done. I've swapped out a few worn parts already like the idle control valve and the throttle position sensor, all hoses of the cooling system and some other minor things. Next up is the timing belt. Got all the parts already, just need to find some time to complete the work.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2944 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:01:24 »
I know it's ostentatious and ridiculous and impractical, but I flippin' love the 1979 Lincoln Mark V Givenchy Edition any designer series with the port windows and extra chrome
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:03:05 by noisyturtle »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2945 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:23:10 »
You always smell like gas after coming out of a classic mustang.

Yes my dad owns one and i can show pics if desired

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2946 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:26:39 »
Curious what the GH opinions are on the Range Rover Sport SVR vs the Jeep Trackhawk

Offline bliss

« Reply #2947 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 10:04:12 »
I also really love Doug's channel. I just wish he made vintage car videos (30s-60s), even if it was just once a month. It’s not going to be as popular as a new Ferrari, but c’mon I wanna see a C2 corvette or something.

My fave vid is also the Lancia Delta Integrale. Well, it’s my dream car, so I’m biased.

Had a test drive with a Delta Integrale when the 16V version came out (I was in the passenger seat, no license yet) and will never forget that!! Best car of them all for cornering and sub-autobahn speeds! There was also a Dedra Integrale, very understated, cool car.

Offline iri

« Reply #2948 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 10:50:15 »

Had a test drive with a Delta Integrale when the 16V version came out
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

-Ray Bradbury

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #2949 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 17:23:14 »
I know it's ostentatious and ridiculous and impractical, but I flippin' love the 1979 Lincoln Mark V Givenchy Edition any designer series with the port windows and extra chrome
Show Image

Aw man, that color scheme!  :thumb: I drove a 1973 Mark IV for a year about 15 years ago. Fantastically smooth ride with acceleration like velvet  :-*
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]