Author Topic: Your honest opinion on nowadays Unicomp buckling springs keyboards? Maybe Cherry  (Read 5528 times)

Offline FarbinJones

I have seen many articles that those keyboards are quiet OK. I have seen also articles mentioning problems with their construction like keys going loose. I have been separated with buckling springs keyboards for about 20 years now. I'm asking this question because I'm considering buying one and if their quality is not that well as used to be I may just buy some other comparable heavy mechanical switches based keyboard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Unicomp's quality control is decidedly lower than IBM's and Lexmark's were back in the day, but they are still good solid machines. Add to that native USB, option for a black case, and warranty support, and it is still the best sub-$100 keyboard out there.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Stop comparing them to IBM, it's hard not to and everyone does, but not only has it gone through many iterations but the Model M adjusted for inflation would retail for nearly $600 today.

Think about what kind of keyboard you could buy today for $600.
Granted, manufacturing has improved since then and prices have come down, but even if you knock that in half, it's still a $300 keyboard that you are comparing to a $100 keyboard.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
I have seen many articles that those keyboards are quiet OK. I have seen also articles mentioning problems with their construction like keys going loose. I have been separated with buckling springs keyboards for about 20 years now. I'm asking this question because I'm considering buying one and if their quality is not that well as used to be I may just buy some other comparable heavy mechanical switches based keyboard.

Buckling springs too heavy.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder

You adapt, but wow, going from 40g Jailhouse Blues to a Model M, my fingers could really tell by the end of the day.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
I have been separated with buckling springs keyboards for about 20 years now.

Do you mean you have not used a buckling spring keyboard for about 20 years?

The Unicomp keyboards are really a great value. I have the UNI0446 103-key version and have no issues whatsoever with it as far as functionality. Enjoy it and use it! For the price and warranty alone, it's well worth it.

Offline daneb

I have both Unicomp and original IBM M (1988) and I must say they are comparable in feel. Of course, original is sturdier, but unicomp is absolutely of good quality - especially when compared with other today mechanical keyboards (not original IBM). I had no issues with it whatsoever. I use both in my "rotation" as either of them has slightly different feel (Unicomp a tiny bit more heavy and bumpier/crunchier, original is softer/a tiny bit flatter) - I have preference for both types of these feels when being in various moods.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile

You adapt, but wow, going from 40g Jailhouse Blues to a Model M, my fingers could really tell by the end of the day.

I prefer light switches so that i don't get too tired. Cherry mx greens good but they make me tired after short periods of use.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

I prefer light switches so that i don't get too tired. Cherry mx greens good but they make me tired after short periods of use.

Same problem here. I have a Model M along with a USB converter (won't work through my PS2 port) but can't really use it for an extended period of time. Blues aren't bad, but I somehow end up using too much force when needing to write fast. I'm thinking about getting MX Speed or some sort of low-profile reds for typing now, as my Majestouch 1 is becoming unreliable.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
I would say they are better than almost every $100 keyboard, with the exception being Matias click switches and BOX clicky switches. But again, I have not used any of them.  :confused: Matias also has QC issues with switches.
Personally, I think you would find a Model F for around the same price range, which has insanely good build quality (basically a metal brick)
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
"My fingers hurt after typing a while on a Model M keyboard...."

Seriously?

Maybe you need a new hobby.

Offline rxc92

"My fingers hurt after typing a while on a Model M keyboard...."

Seriously?

Maybe you need a new hobby.

How does you liking heavier switches make you somehow better suited to enjoying mechanical keyboards? That seems like an asinine opinion.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

How does you liking heavier switches make you somehow better suited to enjoying mechanical keyboards? That seems like an asinine opinion.

Really? Do you need me to explain the difference? There are those that actually type and not spend all their time looking at each letter to find the next letter they type.
Knowing you have typed the letter is as important as knowing what you typed in the first place.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Really? Do you need me to explain the difference? There are those that actually type and not spend all their time looking at each letter to find the next letter they type.
Knowing you have typed the letter is as important as knowing what you typed in the first place.

Yes, I would LOVE to hear you explain how stiffer spring indicates a key was activated.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rxc92

In the same vein as Leslieann, I completely fail to see how you are unable to touch type on a keyboard with any tactile feedback at all. I can type a solid 150 words in a minute or more on my laptop keyboard as well as a Cherry Red as well as Hakos as well as most any full-size computer keyboard. Am I suddenly not touch typing up to your standard?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Okay.
So what I said was taken completely out of context because you all have wimpy fingers that can't handle typing on a Model M for more than 2 minutes. How fast or accurate you type is up to you, but, if you generally believe that other keyboards are better, so be it.
My two cents has everything to do with the way I personally type and I can see why so many get so offended so easily.

Enjoy.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Although I usually pound my keys (probably for psychological reasons) I am also capable of touch typing, and I like tactile and clicky switches because they give me realistic feedback about when and where the stroke was activated so that I can type accordingly.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Although I usually pound my keys (probably for psychological reasons) I am also capable of touch typing, and I like tactile and clicky switches because they give me realistic feedback about when and where the stroke was activated so that I can type accordingly.

Thank you Fohat.

Offline rxc92

Some garbage

This doesn't even merit a response, but I'll just post a picture of what he sounds like. 

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
In the same vein as Leslieann, I completely fail to see how you are unable to touch type on a keyboard with any tactile feedback at all. I can type a solid 150 words in a minute or more on my laptop keyboard as well as a Cherry Red as well as Hakos as well as most any full-size computer keyboard. Am I suddenly not touch typing up to your standard?

Let me answer you directly since you are so on point.

I am sure everyone wholeheartedly agrees with your recommendation.
Thanks for your input.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Okay.
So what I said was taken completely out of context because you all have wimpy fingers that can't handle typing on a Model M for more than 2 minutes. How fast or accurate you type is up to you, but, if you generally believe that other keyboards are better, so be it.
My two cents has everything to do with the way I personally type and I can see why so many get so offended so easily.

Enjoy.
2 minutes? What is that, your boot time? I said "by the end of the day" (12-16 hours in my case and with heavy typing).

Still waiting for this explanation of how spring rate is important for detecting activation.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Polymer

That's not what touch typing means..LOL.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

That's not what touch typing means.

Did you miss the words "usually" and "also"?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Yes, I would LOVE to hear you explain how stiffer spring indicates a key was activated.

Do you know anything about Buckling Springs?

There is no comparison.

No modern switch can duplicate it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Do you know anything about Buckling Springs?

There is no comparison.

No modern switch can duplicate it.
That's still not an explanation and still not sure how it was taken out of context so at this point I'm going to say your either ignorant of all of this or just a troll.

Springs do not effect your ability to detect a press, that is not it's function. It can alter how much you feel or hear but you aren't going to make a Model M linear by using 50g springs and I have never seen a switch that would.

As for fingers getting tired, I type A LOT and going from my Jailhouse Blues to a Model M I effectively doubled the work load on my fingers. If you suddenly double the amount of work you did in a day you too would need to adjust even if it was the same thing you do every day.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 December 2019, 15:33:23 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

That's still not an explanation and still not sure how it was taken out of context so at this point I'm going to say your either ignorant of all of this or just a troll.

That's it. You have absolutely hit the nail on the head.
I am justifiably clueless.

Edit: Just because you did not get the answer you want; that doesn't mean I didn't understand your statement.

To put it to you bluntly, the buckling spring mechanism has EVERYTHING to do with having the ability to detect a press.
Obviously, you don't understand a thing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 December 2019, 19:00:37 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
 :cool:
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 December 2019, 19:23:49 by Snowdog993 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Reading the OP, I think that the realistic answer is:

Although Unicomp quality control is not as good as IBM's and Lexmark's was decades ago, a Unicomp Model M is still a good solid keyboard and a good value.

There are no other mechanisms that can be realistically compared to buckling springs, but there is a multitude of other mechanisms to choose from.

But look at "clicky" switches if that is what you like, many companies manufacture them.

Offline Kevadu

Snowdog993, what is your problem?  Nobody was talking about the buckling spring mechanism itself, but rather the weight of the keys in the Model M.  These are not the same thing, just look at the Model F: Also buckling spring (and a superior implementation of it to boot) and yet the keys are a lot lighter than in the Model M.

The M has very heavy keys.  That's not really debatable.  If you like it that's fine but a lot of people don't like their keys that heavy.  And that has nothing to do with the buckling spring mechanism itself.  Why is that so hard to understand?

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
IMHO, they're not as good as the OG buckle-buckles from IBM, they're just a wee bit cheaper.
However, they're still really good keebs. Would highly recommend if you want a bucking spring keyboard
without the hassle of tracking an original one down, then fiddling with converters.
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Snowdog993, what is your problem?  Nobody was talking about the buckling spring mechanism itself, but rather the weight of the keys in the Model M.  These are not the same thing, just look at the Model F: Also buckling spring (and a superior implementation of it to boot) and yet the keys are a lot lighter than in the Model M.

The M has very heavy keys.  That's not really debatable.  If you like it that's fine but a lot of people don't like their keys that heavy.  And that has nothing to do with the buckling spring mechanism itself.  Why is that so hard to understand?

Just because I didn't give you the answer you wanted, doesn't mean I didn't understand what you said.
If you like typing on "air" that is what YOU prefer.
If you like typing without tactility, that is what YOU prefer.
If you like talking into a microphone and not typing at all, that is what YOU prefer.

....  And that is HEAVY.

Offline Kevadu

Just because I didn't give you the answer you wanted, doesn't mean I didn't understand what you said.
If you like talking into a microphone and not typing at all, that is what YOU prefer.

....  And that is HEAVY.

OK, I'm convinced: You're a goddamn idiot.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

....  And that is HEAVY.

OK, I'm convinced: You're a goddamn idiot.

Why did you even post on this thread? Think about it.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Both of you guys, please stop arguing. I hate going back to this thread only to find two people mad at each other :(
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!