Author Topic: [IC] GMK Shanshui 山水 - Pricing and Final Kits  (Read 106909 times)

Offline grundlemere

Re: [IC] GMK Shanshui 山水 - Final Kit Changes
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 21:58:44 »
Nice set! Excited to see a full Chinese GMK set. But why bother with just a few Simplified Chinese characters in the base mods, especially if there is going to be a Traditional Chinese mods kit? It's costly and inconsistent.

To get the molds made to add to the GMK library for posterity, mostly, and because SC users outnumber TC users about 25:1.

Offline noodleman

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 22:11:55 »
I'm sorry I sounded accusatory.  I re-read my post and it sounded pretty bad.  But you gave me the answer I wanted to know.  You're doing things right :thumb:

quick question, are the artists you took the artwork from involved in these deskmats?  Are they aware of the changes you've made to their art?

https://www.art.com/products/p48208011469-sa-i10827985/baoyan-chinese-landscape-watercolor-painting.htm?upi=Q1AMEO20&PODConfigID=4986602&sOrigID=965450

https://elinali.com/ink-1

So that’s an interesting way to frame a question. I purchased the artwork from them, and I purchased it with an enhanced license that allows commercial reuse and merchandising.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 22:18:42 »
I'm sorry I sounded accusatory.  I re-read my post and it sounded pretty bad.  But you gave me the answer I wanted to know.  You're doing things right :thumb:

quick question, are the artists you took the artwork from involved in these deskmats?  Are they aware of the changes you've made to their art?

https://www.art.com/products/p48208011469-sa-i10827985/baoyan-chinese-landscape-watercolor-painting.htm?upi=Q1AMEO20&PODConfigID=4986602&sOrigID=965450

https://elinali.com/ink-1

So that’s an interesting way to frame a question. I purchased the artwork from them, and I purchased it with an enhanced license that allows commercial reuse and merchandising.

I appreciate you walking that back a little. I do understand why it’s critical to ensure that artists are fairly compensated for their art. I would be furious if someone used my work without agreement.

Ideally, of course, I would have commissioned original work just for the deskmats, but these pieces are just as beautiful as any I could have commissioned, and the artists were fairly compensated, while still retaining rights to sell them again. Of course, I would love to have done it myself, but I’m not much of a Shanshui painter...  :-X

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 00:07:11 »
Love the accent keys! But really wish it’s in the base kit or corresponding kit rather than in the novelties kit..

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 05:55:17 »
Those desk mats are sublime.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 07:38:23 »
Out of curiosity, what's the -looking legend on the backslash keys for?

Edit: Oh (and I believe I've seen this asked before somewhere in the Houhai thread, but I can't remember the answer), what's the R2 1u Home (行首) key for?

That punctuation mark is the Chinese equivalent of a serial comma. Modern Chinese uses western commas too, but this one is particularly used to separate items or actions in a series.

The R2 home key is total personal preference. Those of us who do a lot of text editing may prefer to have their delete key across from backspace, and their home/end keys on r2 and r3 below it. I tend to use a lot more home/end than pg up/dn, so I have the latter on a layer. 65s are sort of the most common form factor at the moment, and the nav cluster is small so the keys you choose matter most. It’s just an option I don’t see often enough and because I’m the designer and it’s my preference, I’ve included it.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 07:52:25 »
That punctuation mark is the Chinese equivalent of a serial comma. Modern Chinese uses western commas too, but this one is particularly used to separate items or actions in a series.

The R2 home key is total personal preference. Those of us who do a lot of text editing may prefer to have their delete key across from backspace, and their home/end keys on r2 and r3 below it. I tend to use a lot more home/end than pg up/dn, so I have the latter on a layer. 65s are sort of the most common form factor at the moment, and the nav cluster is small so the keys you choose matter most. It’s just an option I don’t see often enough and because I’m the designer and it’s my preference, I’ve included it.

Sounds good, thanks for the explanation and the clarification. By the way, the Drop ALT, which is arguably the most common 65% board out in the wild, also has Home on R2 by default (together with R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn), so in doing this you're also covering users of that layout.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 07:58:30 by konstantin »

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:22:38 »
Nice set! Excited to see a full Chinese GMK set. But why bother with just a few Simplified Chinese characters in the base mods, especially if there is going to be a Traditional Chinese mods kit? It's costly and inconsistent.

To get the molds made to add to the GMK library for posterity, mostly, and because SC users outnumber TC users about 25:1.

Right of course. So why not make it SC? Why only a few characters in SC? I am just trying to understand since I don't know how to type in Chinese, not being critical of your design. Thanks!

Offline chris_1865

Re: [IC] GMK Shanshui 山水 - Deskmats up
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 04:12:49 »
Finally a GMK changje input keycap...Hope the base kit include TC instead of SC

---

Edit for second inpression(?) of the TC kit

It's a little weird to see SC words straightly convert to TC imo since TC's translation words may be different from SC (e.g. Print Screen is better translate into 截圖/擷圖). It would be better to let TC & SC have its own translated words. AFAIK the translation of ins/del/PgUP/Pgdown/Home/End is both correct in TC or SC, and menu may be better translate into 功能 in TC

btw the 「柳」 problem in numpad happened again lol. 6 should be 「陸」.

Thanks friend, we’ll get these legends fixed. If you have any other translation fixes for TC, please share them with me at grundlemere#1126 on Discord and we will run them through a couple of our partners. Want to make sure they are right.

Ugh sorry about the numpad, not sure how that one slipped by us again but you’re the first person to notice it. I even know that character means “willow.” We’ll add both these points to the kit changes for next round.

oh sh!t I haven't seen this reply until now coz I didn't check geekhack everyday… Seems I'm late. I guess I'd rather put some opinions here instead.

Glad to see the translation improvement! (Especially the numpad 6 lol) However I still find something looks like haven't been translate yet in TC numpad part. The capital number letter of 2, 3& 6 are different between sc & tc, which should be 貳/叄/陸 instead of the sc one. Also is there any reason for both tc & sc numpad have the same numpad 7 key? I don't see any needs for 2 numpad 7 key imo……

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 11:59:53 »

Right of course. So why not make it SC? Why only a few characters in SC? I am just trying to understand since I don't know how to type in Chinese, not being critical of your design. Thanks!

According to our IC responses and market insights from our partners in Asia, there's strong demand for both, and we expect for there to be strong demand for both in future GBs.

Offline Makish

• hi
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 15:07:19 »
Oh man, I think I might actually buy every kit with this one. Good luck!

Offline Firebear31

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 04:30:03 »

According to our IC responses and market insights from our partners in Asia, there's strong demand for both, and we expect for there to be strong demand for both in future GBs.

I just asked my GF and she is typing in Pinyin (like myself). She's from Guangdong. There's an even harder version of typing than cangjie which is by strokes instead of radicals. I meanif people are used to write like this okay :D but for me it's hard to think of like writing the word I guess, instead of just typing the pinyin and picking the right word. But it still looks cool :D  Can't imagine writing latin letters by strokes xD Then we could make 30% keyboards with all functions I suppose.

Would be curious what the average age is of the people "demanding it". I guess the young are more used to pinyin now due to mobile phones.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2020, 04:36:27 by Firebear31 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 10:09:53 »
Negative Space 留白: the spacebars kit

Show Image

Includes non-traditional spacebars and spacekeys, as well as variant WS1 bars for a distinctive touch.

I'm not sure that the inclusion of white 3u and 2u spacekeys is a necessity. Users would probably get more mileage out of a second black 3u space (for split 3u+3u or 3u+1u+3u setups), and the white 2u space can probably be removed outright seeing as ortho support in base is incomplete, and there is already a black 2u space in the kit.

On a separate note, you can probably remove the second R4 1u Ctrl key and R1 1u Backspace from the base kit.
Two 1u Ctrl keys are not used on any modern ≥60% boards, only ortho 40%. I believe users (especially in China) would get a lot more mileage out of a R4 1u Shift key, which (together with 2u Shift) is used by the GK64 and similar 60% layouts with arrows, which are very popular in the East.
As for 1u Backspace, not very many boards at all use this size. A notable one is Minila, but this set lacks a couple of keys to be able to support that layout (R4 1.75u Control, R4 1u Shift, among others).
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2020, 10:11:39 by konstantin »

Offline santela

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 11:19:17 »

Show Image

Includes non-traditional spacebars and spacekeys, as well as variant WS1 bars for a distinctive touch.

I'm not sure that the inclusion of white 3u and 2u spacekeys is a necessity. Users would probably get more mileage out of a second black 3u space (for split 3u+3u or 3u+1u+3u setups), and the white 2u space can probably be removed outright seeing as ortho support in base is incomplete, and there is already a black 2u space in the kit.

On a separate note, you can probably remove the second R4 1u Ctrl key and R1 1u Backspace from the base kit.
Two 1u Ctrl keys are not used on any modern ≥60% boards, only ortho 40%. I believe users (especially in China) would get a lot more mileage out of a R4 1u Shift key, which (together with 2u Shift) is used by the GK64 and similar 60% layouts with arrows, which are very popular in the East.
As for 1u Backspace, not very many boards at all use this size. A notable one is Minila, but this set lacks a couple of keys to be able to support that layout (R4 1.75u Control, R4 1u Shift, among others).

I think the 1u backspace is a good thing to have, since some 60% board users use them. I guess most can replace it with the delete key, but it's not exactly the same. Rama is the worst offender here, their 60% and 65% hotswap pcbs all have 1u backspace (which I hate, but some people might still need them)

Offline santela

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 11:34:53 »

I just asked my GF and she is typing in Pinyin (like myself). She's from Guangdong. There's an even harder version of typing than cangjie which is by strokes instead of radicals. I meanif people are used to write like this okay :D but for me it's hard to think of like writing the word I guess, instead of just typing the pinyin and picking the right word. But it still looks cool :D  Can't imagine writing latin letters by strokes xD Then we could make 30% keyboards with all functions I suppose.

Would be curious what the average age is of the people "demanding it". I guess the young are more used to pinyin now due to mobile phones.

I can answer this. What your girlfriend is talking about is called WuBi, and it's a pretty old typing method, I remember it being fairly popular in the 90's in mainland China, but it's something you actually have to learn how to use and remember which strokes go with which keys. There are keyboards out there with WuBi legends on them, but they look very busy and not aesthetically pleasing at all, also pretty much impossible to make as doubleshot keycaps. I'm sure there are probably people still using it but I honestly don't know anyone who actually does anymore. Even my relatives who are 70 years old use pinyin exclusively, since everyone is typing on their phones nowadays and pinyin is just much easier. I've heard people say typing on WuBi can be a lot faster than using pinyin once you are proficient, but I am pretty skeptical about that. There is also another typing method called ZhengMa, which nobody uses and I have zero knowledge of.

Here's a picture of the WuBi keycaps atrocity:

Offline wynects

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 04:44:56 »
Hey dude, both of the deskmats look sooooooo sick! Definitely will get them! 等不及了!

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 06:52:32 »
Hey dude, both of the deskmats look sooooooo sick! Definitely will get them! 等不及了!

在等多一年吧  :))
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 16:41:52 »

Just wanted to add in answer to this question: some characters are the same in traditional and simplified. That's why only some of the characters are different between the simplified and traditional mod base kits.

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 20:26:15 »
The desk mats and novelties on this are exquisite! So beautiful!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 18:06:47 »
Thanks to everyone for the positive (and constructively critical) feedback! We are rocking and rolling on getting our quotes and art checks for doubleshot mold machining from GMK via Cannonkeys.

Latest thing I wanted to show off is our GMK Shanshui x Digital Carpentry wrist rest prototypes. Michael has been my partner and sounding board since the very beginning, and I’m super happy with his work as always. (I think I have 8 wrist rests from him!?) He will offer as always a range of rare woods, shapes, and custom sizes bearing the Shanshui chop, with an optional red enamel or resin fill. We’re still working out the details but I can’t wait to get the fill work finalized and show you some of our other collabs. The filled one now is intentionally bumpy, as we used a different, more textured version of the art that left some areas unburnt by the engraving laser, but likely the final version will be the cleaner version of the art you see on the darker wood.

Full gallery of shots of both prototypes here

Offline Orca Builds

• Orca Builds
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 18:13:30 »
100% in amazing work

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 14:17:18 »
Those wrist rests are amazing!

Offline Firebear31

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 11:42:53 »
damn, those wristrests!
Will there be ebony or other dark wood ones?

Offline DigitalCarpentry

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 13:10:30 »
Those wrist rests are amazing!

Thanks! It helps when someone takes good photos of them too... :D

Offline DigitalCarpentry

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 13:13:00 »
damn, those wristrests!
Will there be ebony or other dark wood ones?

I do have some darker woods such as Wenge and that Peruvian Walnut. They would need to have the enamel/paint fill to show up well against the wood. Ebony would only be a option if someone was willing to pay up front for it seeing as the wood itself is so expensive.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 06:32:13 »
OK now in for deskmats and the wrist rests.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 10:45:03 »
Glad y'all like the wrist rests! R2 proto of the enamel fill incoming. Want to clean up a little bit there.

Also, happy Friday, just wanted to share something I thought was cool. Now that Graen is a confirmed Iron180 color, this is a real thing that I will have on my desk someday in 2021.

It's the little things in life. Can't wait for either GB.

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 12:35:12 »
The quote 「山水甲天下」 on Karst doesn't really make sense linguistically, I get the inspiration behind it but it would just look like a misquote to a native speaker? Not a complete deal breaker and probably won't matter to the western audience anyway.

Big fan of the Rafts deskmat btw
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2020, 12:38:07 by kokugatsu »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 09:59:58 »
The quote 「山水甲天下」 on Karst doesn't really make sense linguistically, I get the inspiration behind it but it would just look like a misquote to a native speaker? Not a complete deal breaker and probably won't matter to the western audience anyway.

Big fan of the Rafts deskmat btw

It might not be apparent to everyone but that’s actually a common slogan for the people of Guilin and the Li River. Google image search it and see what comes up.

Offline CobraLi

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 09:04:46 »
I can't wait for this groupbuy cause I need some Chinese keycaps for another keyboard and these look great! Saving up for them!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:23:32 »
I can't wait for this groupbuy cause I need some Chinese keycaps for another keyboard and these look great! Saving up for them!

Thank you! Just waiting to hear from GMK on pricing and legends. Really excited to bring this to users in China, HK, TW, and everywhere around the world!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:37:15 »

Show Image

Have you had a chance to take a look at this post?

Offline Ulliam

• Formerly Papithered
  • 𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖎.𝖆𝖒
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 16:25:52 »
Looking forward to this set and have been for a minute, I wish the novelties we're a little more inspired tho, and I'd love to know what extent "based on the works of" means in the deskmats.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:56:27 »

Show Image

Have you had a chance to take a look at this post?

We've made all the kitting changes we plan to make at this point, unless there's a dramatic need to cost-cut depending on the quote from GMK. We included two 3U spacebars and two 2u spacebars, one in black and one in white, to give users some options for an accent space (in the case of the 2u) and for a design flourish to include one of each in white and black for users of 3U+3U setups.

I have personally owned or built two different compact full-size boards that use or can use two 1U spacerow mods including CTRL. R1 1U backspace is used by some who prefer a split BS layout, or for ortho 40s.

The R4 1U shift key is a good point, but we are past adding new keys to the kits, this post of yours being the only such request during the IC period. In any case, while it's not a perfect solution, the novelties add support for rare layouts.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 13:11:39 »
Looking forward to this set and have been for a minute, I wish the novelties we're a little more inspired tho, and I'd love to know what extent "based on the works of" means in the deskmats.

I sent you a DM on Discord. Happy to discuss anything that didn't get covered in this IC thread about the deskmats.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 23:05:02 »
Everything about this set looks amazing. Looking forward to New Years! :thumb:

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 23:50:47 »

Thank you! Just waiting to hear from GMK on pricing and legends. Really excited to bring this to users in China, HK, TW, and everywhere around the world!
Nowadays, only HK and TW uses 倉頡, I really don’t understand why TC is not the basic set instead of SC. 倉頡 can only type with TC

Offline cbbplanet

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 18:19:13 »
Just submitted IC for this. gluck! we need more chinese keysets

but yeah agreed.. changjie is really for traditional chinese only. i might just do mods for this in traditional chinese and hopefully get on the gmk zhuyin alphas
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2020, 18:23:17 by cbbplanet »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 08:15:53 »
Hey everyone, updates are going to be a little slow in coming as we are reworking the legends to meet GMK specs. The incredibly fine details, especially of TC characters on mods, is proving tough to meet GMK's specs for their mold machining equipment. It will work, it's just going to take a lot of very fine adjustment.

I'm hoping this work will be done within a couple of weeks, then back to GMK for quotes and pricing. Will update you on that. Hoping also to have some collab prototypes or other partner stuff to share in the meantime. Thanks for your patience!

Offline Masticccc

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 10:03:34 »
Is there a possible for Chinese numpad for Clear water kit also? I was planning to make full Chinese monolegend keyboard with Old Path + Clear Water and now I see the numpad on base kit also. It would be really painful for me to buy the base kit just for the Chinese monolegend numpad lol.

Offline noodleman

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 14:13:00 »
i'm sure this was asked before but I can't seem to find the post.  Is there a reason why the old path kit isn't just a seperate base kit?

Offline maxohmax

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 13:54:25 »
One of the best kits I've seen in a while. Definitely getting the base.
Tofu | Vega 65* | Rama Kara*
KAT Mizu* | GMK Shan Shui*

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 15:28:32 »
Wish the monolegends were in the base kit kinda like masterpiece, but regardless this looks like a must buy

Offline sirm1ster

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:44:36 »
Is there also plans to create white colored caps with black characters? I'm not a big fan of black colored caps, but this set seems to look amazing!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 11:55:38 »
Hey everyone, making great progress on adjusting the legends by hand to meet GMK's specs. Should be done this month to include at least one new board render.

Kits are not likely to change at this point, though we are getting a quote for an alt TC base kit to see how that works out. Explanation is that our main goal here is to get all molds made, and with all the interest in TC, SC might not get made at all. Shanshui is both a labor of love and a means to an end to get GMK Houhai produced, as well as kits planned by four other designers who want to use the Chinese legends.

With regards to BoW, I would like to tentatively plan on that happening for r2 of this set if it's a successful GB, but there are no guarantees of that and it's likely a long way off given that I plan to run at least two more GBs before that happens. It would be a fantastic look for sure.

Offline Perch

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 08:48:26 »
The deskmats really make this set special. I love it <3

Offline santela

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 11:34:16 »
Hey everyone, making great progress on adjusting the legends by hand to meet GMK's specs. Should be done this month to include at least one new board render.

Kits are not likely to change at this point, though we are getting a quote for an alt TC base kit to see how that works out. Explanation is that our main goal here is to get all molds made, and with all the interest in TC, SC might not get made at all. Shanshui is both a labor of love and a means to an end to get GMK Houhai produced, as well as kits planned by four other designers who want to use the Chinese legends.

With regards to BoW, I would like to tentatively plan on that happening for r2 of this set if it's a successful GB, but there are no guarantees of that and it's likely a long way off given that I plan to run at least two more GBs before that happens. It would be a fantastic look for sure.

Since the cangjie inputting method isn't used in mainland, TC actually makes more sense. But right now some of the modifiers and some legends are mostly using mainland translations, which do not make much sense in TC. Examples being 《》 should probably be omitted as they are not really used in regions that use TC. The enter key should also probably be translated to 輸入 instead, as 回车 isn't really used in TC. Like you said you are not planning to change the kit at this point, which means sticking to SC is probably less headache and more accurate.

Offline donny_pete

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:32:31 »
This is super hype

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 11:50:47 »

Since the cangjie inputting method isn't used in mainland, TC actually makes more sense. But right now some of the modifiers and some legends are mostly using mainland translations, which do not make much sense in TC. Examples being 《》 should probably be omitted as they are not really used in regions that use TC. The enter key should also probably be translated to 輸入 instead, as 回车 isn't really used in TC. Like you said you are not planning to change the kit at this point, which means sticking to SC is probably less headache and more accurate.

Yep, we had a long open period for asking the TC user community to share any changes they saw necessary, and most agreed that the legends were accurate in both TC and SC. We checked with TW and HK users, and checked the Microsoft TC translation manual. The challenge is that most keys have been rendered in English for so long, that very few users are really aware of a practical Chinese name, so we went with our best guess after consulting with many users and vendors in territories that use both systems. the other thing I learned is that TC is not monolithic, and that legends differ even among TW, HK, and areas within South China where TC is still used. Sorry we didn't get your feedback in that stage.

Offline donny_pete

Re: [IC] GMK Shanshui 山水 - Retooled Chinese Legends!
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 11:53:55 »
If money allows, will 100% get this set. It can literally go with any color keeb