Author Topic: [GB] 62/60: The first full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: 12/14 shipped]  (Read 67076 times)

Offline GiveCandyy

Re: [GB] 62/60: The first full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0 Closed]
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 05:01:14 »
Round 1 signups will be posted once Round 0 is mostly done shipping- will be mid-to-late May.

International shipping was set at $22.50 for Round 0- obviously could change, but should be in that ballpark.

mid to late may? my birthday is on May 25th aw yiss. :thumb:
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 08:01:44 »
End of may cant come any faster! Any projected number of pcbs for round 1? I just want to know my odds  :eek:

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 23:36:50 »
For the hot swapping, do the switches need to be PBC mount or plate mount?  Sorry if this is an obvious question, I'm new around here...  ;D
CODE Clears 87

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 04:47:39 »
For the hot swapping, do the switches need to be PBC mount or plate mount?  Sorry if this is an obvious question, I'm new around here...  ;D

Both types work, but it was explained that PCB mount type, those with two pins, fits more securely.

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:01:41 »

Both types work, but it was explained that PCB mount type, those with two pins, fits more securely.

Thanks ideus for the clarification!
CODE Clears 87

Offline iss

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:57:08 »
5/4 update:

Invoices have been sent out! Check your PayPal accounts and let me know if you see anything wrong :thumb:

Status check:
PCBs: All parts on hand, 7/12 soldered
Cases: Acrylic on hand, laser cutting scheduled for this week/early next week
Hardware (screws, etc.): Ordered, arriving late this week/early next week (some stock on hand)
Switches: Ordered, arriving next week
Stabilizers: Ordered, arriving this week

At the current pace, Round 1 will likely start on May 20th and run for 4-7 days. More details will come soon!

(note to reviewers: Your boards will be shipping on Friday! pushed back to Tuesday due to hardware issues)
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2016, 18:07:52 by iss »

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:28:47 »
Invoice received and paid :thumb:

Thanks a bunch can't wait to try out the board!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline derpingit

Re: [GB] 62/60: The first full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: Invoiced]
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:29:39 »
May 20! Yay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:34:51 »
5/4 update:

Invoices have been sent out! Check your PayPal accounts and let me know if you see anything wrong :thumb:

Status check:
Hardware (screws, etc.): Ordered, arriving late this week/early next week (some stock on hand)

At the current pace, Round 1 will likely start on May 20th and run for 4-7 days. More details will come soon!

(note to reviewers: Your boards will be shipping on Friday!)

Round 1 is right on my birthday!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:43:31 »
5/4 update:

Status check:

How are the chances of recieving the round 1 boards in EU before 20th of June? I'll not be home after that for about 2 weeks.

Offline derpingit

[GB] 62/60: The first full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: Invoiced]
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:57:23 »
Sorry :/
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 19:10:41 by derpingit »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 23:05:38 »
5/4 update:

Status check:

What a distinction, for those that were chosen to be reviewers. Would reviews be published for round zero, before round one, or they would be for round one?

Offline breckstar

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 13:01:53 »
5/4 update:

Status check:

(note to reviewers: Your boards will be shipping on Friday! pushed back to Tuesday due to hardware issues)

May those with May birthdays get a special invite into R1? Would be a sweet birthday present to myself :)

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 13:58:57 »
5/4 update:

Status check:

livingspeedbump please send it to me for further review when you're done  :thumb:

Offline Liam

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 23:29:27 »
5/4 update:

Status check:

May those with May birthdays get a special invite into R1? Would be a sweet birthday present to myself :)
May 20 is my gf birthday too :p Maybe I'll try to get one for her :D
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline y2bd

• I'm just here for the caps
    • Twitter
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 23:53:16 »
Even though my profile, drivers license, and birth certificate all say otherwise, I also was born on May 20th! ;D ;D

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 00:00:02 »
What socket are you using for the switch hole inserts? Is it the holtite?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 05:24:09 »
Can't wait for R1! I'll finally be able to try out my zealios :p

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 02:39:49 »
will you produce the PCB without hot swapable in the near future. (i really like soldering a keyboard :rolleyes:)

i really love the layout of this board.
60% with arrow keys. :-*

oh yeah i cant wait for next round ^-^
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 03:04:54 by gadzkun »

Offline Liam

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 12:33:19 »
will you produce the PCB without hot swapable in the near future. (i really like soldering a keyboard :rolleyes:)

He said in the IC thread that you can choose hot-swappable or not :D

Offline iss

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 19:32:13 »
5/9 update:

Things are progressing well. Boards have been delayed a couple days due to my standoffs being stuck in shipping, but on the bright side firmware is pretty much ready to go!

Status check:
Cases: Acrylic on hand, laser cutting finished tomorrow
Hardware (screws, etc.): Shipped, arriving Wednesday
Switches: Shipped, arriving this week
Stabilizers: On hand
Firmware: Done, waiting for addition to main EasyAVR branch

-----

By the way, the first production board is done! This board belongs to artisan RoastPotatoes.

If you look carefully, there's been many improvements made since the initial cases. These include:

- Improvements to the acrylic feet for stability
- Middle spacer is now three parts: a black bottom spacer, a clear middle spacer aligned with the PCB for nice LED effects, and a black top spacer/reinforcing plate.
- Top plate has been tightened for switch retention.
- Small rubber bumpons are now affixed to the feet and bottom of the case for stability.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 19:35:55 by iss »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Awesome.

Offline Liam

Can't wait for round 1.

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
Damn that looks so good with the SMD lighting.

Offline kawasaki161

You make me want one right now.
Are the adjustments for Round 1 already finalized?

Also, you said that Round 1 will start around mid-late May.
How are the chances of Round 1 boards (with round 0 signup) arriving in EU before 24th of June (in case of customs-problems even earlier as they are lazy)? I'm in the US for 2 weeks after that, so my grandparents would be accepting the parcel, which would be no problem, but if customs acts up and tells me I have to go get it from them I'll have a big problem as they only hold parcels for max. 2 weeks (and charge for the time they hold it). After that period they are either sent back or shredded :eek:. I hate customs.

Offline iss

You make me want one right now.
Are the adjustments for Round 1 already finalized?

Also, you said that Round 1 will start around mid-late May.
How are the chances of Round 1 boards (with round 0 signup) arriving in EU before 24th of June (in case of customs-problems even earlier as they are lazy)? I'm in the US for 2 weeks after that, so my grandparents would be accepting the parcel, which would be no problem, but if customs acts up and tells me I have to go get it from them I'll have a big problem as they only hold parcels for max. 2 weeks (and charge for the time they hold it). After that period they are either sent back or shredded :eek:. I hate customs.

Round 1 is not finalized yet- working hard on getting 60% case compatibility, which would allow me to greatly increase production volume.

I don't know if boards will arrive before June 24th, but I can delay your shipment until after your trip if you'd like- just mention it on the Round 1 order form.

If 60% case compatibility works, yes. If not, we'll see.

End of may cant come any faster! Any projected number of pcbs for round 1? I just want to know my odds  :eek:

All depends on if I can get the board to work with existing 60% cases. My current acrylic sandwich case is nice and cost-effective, but it's very time-consuming to produce and assemble, which is a pain when I'm working full-time.

Offline kawasaki161

All depends on if I can get the board to work with existing 60% cases. My current acrylic sandwich case is nice and cost-effective, but it's very time-consuming to produce and assemble, which is a pain when I'm working full-time.

Which case do you plan on using in round 1 when you get the standard 60% support figured out? I really like the current one.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

The PCB may fit the stand off of an standard 60% case (Poker compatible) but what about the plate?, there is no much sense to have a PCB with empty corners with no plate and, as far as I know, there is no compatible plate besides yours. Are you going to design a 60% compatible plate as well? What about the room required under the PCB for the dip sockets pins?

Offline gadzkun

If 60% case compatibility works, yes. If not, we'll see.

i mean, i want to join in the next round of course with a complete kit.
but if i can i want a normal PCB, not a hot swapable.
i want it as a gift for my lil-sister, shes going live in univ dorm so its not safe to have keyboard with hot swappable ones i think.
im scared if the switch and keycaps detach accidentally and she lost it :rolleyes:

but if its can fit common 60% case thats more amazing :thumb:

Offline rampantandroid

i mean, i want to join in the next round of course with a complete kit.
but if i can i want a normal PCB, not a hot swapable.
i want it as a gift for my lil-sister, shes going live in univ dorm so its not safe to have keyboard with hot swappable ones i think.
im scared if the switch and keycaps detach accidentally and she lost it ::)

but if its can fit common 60% case thats more amazing :thumb:

Depending what the material that's being used for the "socket" is, you might still be able to solder it. Looks like brass maybe? If so, it needs more energy to solder than copper I think, so pre-heat the brass before touching the switch lead to avoid melting anything.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline kawasaki161

Depending what the material that's being used for the "socket" is, you might still be able to solder it. Looks like brass maybe? If so, it needs more energy to solder than copper I think, so pre-heat the brass before touching the switch lead to avoid melting anything.

It would be a pain in the butt to get it desoldered with the retainers in though, maybe they can be drilled out?
I'd also try tinning the socket before inserting the switch, that way it is already bonded and you don't need excessive heat.

Offline rampantandroid

It would be a pain in the butt to get it desoldered with the retainers in though, maybe they can be drilled out?
I'd also try tinning the socket before inserting the switch, that way it is already bonded and you don't need excessive heat.

If there's plating on the hole beyond the insert, then you risk damaging it. Desoldering should be fine - the solder's melting point won't be much higher than normal (use lead solder for a bit more freedom.) The main issue will be pushing the switch free - not ideal, but possible.

Main thing I see with this design is the insert has no springy-ness to it. It looks to retain the switch simply by having the hole small enough to have friction against the pins. What happens if there's too much variance within Cherry/Kailh/gateron switches? You may have switches that won't make a solid connection? I'd also like to have someone (maybe Zeal?) comment on what happens when you push the pins of the switch INTO the switch body? Do you risk damage?
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline kawasaki161

Main thing I see with this design is the insert has no springy-ness to it. It looks to retain the switch simply by having the hole small enough to have friction against the pins. What happens if there's too much variance within Cherry/Kailh/gateron switches? You may have switches that won't make a solid connection? I'd also like to have someone (maybe Zeal?) comment on what happens when you push the pins of the switch INTO the switch body? Do you risk damage?

I stole this picture from the IC Thread, the inserts are supposed to look similar to this one. There are already PCB's that support hotswapping, if it would be damaging switches left and right I assume this board would not support it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Any news on Round 1?

Offline iss

Round 1 will be delayed for a variety of reasons- I've had an insanely hectic week and have another coming up. First wave of Round 0 shipments should go out Tuesday- stay tuned for another update soon.

The PCB may fit the stand off of an standard 60% case (Poker compatible) but what about the plate?, there is no much sense to have a PCB with empty corners with no plate and, as far as I know, there is no compatible plate besides yours. Are you going to design a 60% compatible plate as well? What about the room required under the PCB for the dip sockets pins?

Yes, if it happens, a compatible plate will be included. Cases need 1/8" or higher standoffs- the ones that will be offered have that.

Desoldering the sockets is terrible- don't try it.

Which case do you plan on using in round 1 when you get the standard 60% support figured out? I really like the current one.

Likely to be offered: an aluminum case (Lambo is the current candidate), a quality plastic/acrylic case (still considering), my acrylic sandwich case (will be fairly limited).

If there's plating on the hole beyond the insert, then you risk damaging it. Desoldering should be fine - the solder's melting point won't be much higher than normal (use lead solder for a bit more freedom.) The main issue will be pushing the switch free - not ideal, but possible.

Switches are held in via a combination of friction in the socket, the PCB pins, and the plate. It works well, but is fairly precise. Gateron PCB-mount switches are pretty much perfect, and I'm working on Zealios (I think there might be a slight variance). The sockets are long enough that the switch pins are not pushed into the body at all.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I have a Tex Acrylic case around, do you think it may fit your upcoming PCB featuring standard case support? Please provide detailed specs to check what available cases may fit it. It would be great to be able to purchase one PCB with dip sockets and a plate and use an on-hand sixty case, that will make this a very sweet deal. Also, please provide an alternative low weight case; because, I use my keyboard on the move frequently; but, a heavy aluminum case does not fit that use.

Edit: Tex Acrylic case has 3mm stand off, that is pretty close the 1/8 in, meaning that it may fit the upcoming round one, standard case compatible 62/60 plate and PCB. I cannot wait any longer to have one.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 16:21:22 by ideus »

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
Round 1 will be delayed for a variety of reasons- I've had an insanely hectic week and have another coming up. First wave of Round 0 shipments should go out Tuesday- stay tuned for another update soon.

Yes, if it happens, a compatible plate will be included. Cases need 1/8" or higher standoffs- the ones that will be offered have that.

Desoldering the sockets is terrible- don't try it.

Likely to be offered: an aluminum case (Lambo is the current candidate), a quality plastic/acrylic case (still considering), my acrylic sandwich case (will be fairly limited).

Switches are held in via a combination of friction in the socket, the PCB pins, and the plate. It works well, but is fairly precise. Gateron PCB-mount switches are pretty much perfect, and I'm working on Zealios (I think there might be a slight variance). The sockets are long enough that the switch pins are not pushed into the body at all.

Wait zealios have a slight variance? Oh I had no idea :/ I was hoping to try to put some zealios into it.
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline kawasaki161

Wait zealios have a slight variance? Oh I had no idea :/ I was hoping to try to put some zealios into it.

I think he is refering to the PCB-Mount-Stems, which indeed are a little thicker than standard ones. You could probably just sand down the difference though (might be a little bit time consuming though).

On another note (OT), I see this pretty often here, why is basically everyone fulltext-quoting here on gh? It really messes up the readability and structure of threads and is usually frowned upon in other forums.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES

I think he is refering to the PCB-Mount-Stems, which indeed are a little thicker than standard ones. You could probably just sand down the difference though (might be a little bit time consuming though).

On another note (OT), I see this pretty often here, why is basically everyone fulltext-quoting here on gh? It really messes up the readability and structure of threads and is usually frowned upon in other forums.

Ahh I see. Well then I'll soon find out when it comes and I'll test it out.

And about the quoting, I had no idea lol. But I can see where you're coming from.

Offline iss

They're really loose in the current design- not sure what's going on, I'm working with Zeal to figure it out. For now, I'd strongly recommend using Cherry/Gateron switches for Round 0. (You can probably get away with Zealios on alphas if you don't mind some wobble, but placing them on the top row especially is a problem.)

Shot of my current board (Gateron Greens, split backspace):

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I wonder if metalizing the contacts of the switches with a thin layer of solder may help to keep them more secure in the dip sockets.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 21:25:56 by ideus »

Offline Saiph

And about the quoting, I had no idea lol. But I can see where you're coming from.
Worst case scenario you can swap your zealios switch housing for gateron housing. A little costly and time consuming but it may be the only way to get zealios working for now.

Offline gadzkun

I have a Tex Acrylic case around, do you think it may fit your upcoming PCB featuring standard case support? Please provide detailed specs to check what available cases may fit it. It would be great to be able to purchase one PCB with dip sockets and a plate and use an on-hand sixty case, that will make this a very sweet deal. Also, please provide an alternative low weight case; because, I use my keyboard on the move frequently; but, a heavy aluminum case does not fit that use.

Edit: Tex Acrylic case has 3mm stand off, that is pretty close the 1/8 in, meaning that it may fit the upcoming round one, standard case compatible 62/60 plate and PCB. I cannot wait any longer to have one.

+1, tex acrylic also easy to get and i prefer acrylic case more than alu, its good for my wallet ^-^ and really look good with RGB led

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

+1, tex acrylic also easy to get and i prefer acrylic case more than alu, its good for my wallet ^-^ and really look good with RGB led

Yeah, it is less hard for the wallet, it is light and it looks cool with RGBs.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES

Worst case scenario you can swap your zealios switch housing for gateron housing. A little costly and time consuming but it may be the only way to get zealios working for now.

Yeah I'll have to do some experimenting with the board. We'll have to see!

Offline gadzkun

Yeah, it is less hard for the wallet, it is light and it looks cool with RGBs.

iss 62 PCB + triviumtek lustro =  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
collab please :p

Offline kawasaki161

They're really loose in the current design- not sure what's going on, I'm working with Zeal to figure it out. For now, I'd strongly recommend using Cherry/Gateron switches for Round 0. (You can probably get away with Zealios on alphas if you don't mind some wobble, but placing them on the top row especially is a problem.)

I just did a bit of measuring. I used Zealios R2 62g and Gateron Browns from the current drop (Black lower housing), 5 each to be sure to have consistent values. I did not see any significant varience in measurements, maybe iss can measure out the Zealios he used to find out that they are a bit wobbly. The measurements I got were:
Outer housing top clip sides just under the plastic lip: 13,98mm +- 0,02mm; both
Outer housing plate retainer side, retainer not depressed: ~14,65mm; Gateron ~14,75mm; Zealios
Outer housing plate retainer side, retainer depressed: 13,8-13,9mm; both
PCB mount legs: 1,65mm +0,03mm -0,01mm; both
Middle stem: ~3,8mm; both
Contact leg close to middle stem: 0,8mm at housing up to 0,9mm at the top; both
Contact leg further away from middle stem:0,95mm at housing up to 1mm at the top ; both

Those values were pretty consistent across the different switches, so I am really interested in what causes the problem.

Offline Lobosmoose

I just did a bit of measuring. I used Zealios R2 62g and Gateron Browns from the current drop (Black lower housing), 5 each to be sure to have consistent values. I did not see any significant varience in measurements, maybe iss can measure out the Zealios he used to find out that they are a bit wobbly. The measurements I got were:
Outer housing top clip sides just under the plastic lip: 13,98mm +- 0,02mm; both
Outer housing plate retainer side, retainer not depressed: ~14,65mm; Gateron ~14,75mm; Zealios
Outer housing plate retainer side, retainer depressed: 13,8-13,9mm; both
PCB mount legs: 1,65mm +0,03mm -0,01mm; both
Middle stem: ~3,8mm; both
Contact leg close to middle stem: 0,8mm at housing up to 0,9mm at the top; both
Contact leg further away from middle stem:0,95mm at housing up to 1mm at the top ; both

Those values were pretty consistent across the different switches, so I am really interested in what causes the problem.

Maybe he's using round 1 zealios, im not sure if there is any change from r1 to r2 in terms of measurements apart from the color of the stems.

Offline Skysophrenic

Looking pretty D: I want round 1 -chants for Round 1-

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Can anyone confirm if its all Zealios or just R1? I have a set of R2 waiting for this board..