Author Topic: [IC] KAT Ice Dragon  (Read 39776 times)

Offline driftingbunnies

[IC] KAT Ice Dragon
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 10:33:10 »
personally, after looking at many sets, I think ergo user (and to some extent, 40's/ortho) are the type of users that like to mess up with their layout to find the "best" way.
that makes a lot of these common legends are incorrect to use which can be kind of annoying.
this also applies to 65% users with the rightmost column, but usually it can be covered with novelties.

so if possible, i do like the idea of having a custom, semi-nonsense, icon like Atlantis / Godspeed.
This move can also reduce the number of keys per set which will help in reducing the total cost (since apparently, ergo kit for KAT sets are increasing for each release).
that being said, i do like the very clean, simple default icons.

While I understand what you’re saying, I think blank mods make more sense than middle of the road mods that don’t really make sense for anyone. I’m indifferent but since I’ve already put the effort into including the legends, I’ll probably leave it unless people really prefer blank mods.

Offline YMwoo

Re: [IC] KAT Ice Dragon
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 11:48:49 »
While I understand what you’re saying, I think blank mods make more sense than middle of the road mods that don’t really make sense for anyone. I’m indifferent but since I’ve already put the effort into including the legends, I’ll probably leave it unless people really prefer blank mods.
Yep, it's totally cool. Either way, I'm still interested in the kit.
Just putting it out there to consider.
Hoping the kit price will be okay though.

Offline thedavefulton

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:54:34 »
*sigh* Dude, come on! I wasn't gonna buy any more keycaps for awhile  :mad:

I really dig this colorway! My only note/request would be that the icons are a bit plain for my taste. While they look perfectly nice, I would hope for something a bit more... designy? Is that super helpful?  :D

Seriously though, I'd point you to the last two sets I picked up (KAT Milkshake and Eternal) as examples of what I mean. I understand that a major redesign may be unrealistic but could I suggest expanding the novelties a bit? Perhaps just enough for an HHKB layout? *subtle wink*

Regardless I think you've got me for 2 or 3 kits ;D

Appreciate the feedback. I'm not really an illustrator so I wanted to keep the icons easy for keyreative to use. These are the same icon mods that OCM created for the KAT WoB. Personally I'm still hesitant in keyreative's ability considering that they've delivered one set as of today so I kept fonts and icons as default as they can be.

Agreed with ^^.

Set looks bomb, novelties could use work...

Appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what other novelties might work, any suggestions?

Well, that all sounds reasonable enough. I wish I had some ideas for ya, but my role is more "oooh, that looks neat; I'd like to trade you this money for that thing." And like I said, I don't think they look bad by any means :).

Offline julianlamme

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:41:16 »
Loving these novelties.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:47:02 »
Just a quick update for those waiting, zFrontier told me I should be able to get quotes on kits this week. I'm not holding my breath on that but hopefully should get an idea soon. With regards to samples, the ones zFrontier received were messed up so they're redoing them.

I've also started the process of commissioning a deskmat and more renders so that's on the horizon. I'm not looking to changing any of the kits unless there's a glaring issue with any of them like a missing key. I also don't have any new novelty ideas so if there's something you would like to see, please let me know and I'll see if it makes sense with the kit.

Thanks everyone!

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 19:05:30 »
Still looking forward to this set. White mods are awesome, color is awesome, novelties are awesome (minus the ones I can't read  :-[).

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 21:13:09 »
Added some new renders!

Offline Vizir

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 22:49:28 »
Any plans for a mat?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 22:31:32 »
Any plans for a mat?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yes! It's still on my list of requests :)

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 05:00:55 »
Would you consider the other icon Alt that goes upward instead of down? Small thing, but I prefer the other one, specially on hhkb layout.

Offline lz2019

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:28:25 »
That Chinese character "冰" (Ice) is written ugly! Come on, no place has the "冰" character looking like that.
Writing it in a standard and commonly appeared shape is respecting the language, also avoid misleading others.
please improve it, thank you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 20:48:24 by lz2019 »

Offline lz2019

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:35:00 »

please reference.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 20:45:53 by lz2019 »

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:41:54 »
That Chinese character "冰" (Ice) is written ugly! Come on, no place has the "冰" character looking like that.
Writing it in a standard and commonly appeared shape is respecting the language, also avoid misleading others.

Thanks for your feedback. The reason it was written ugly is because it was actually written and converted into a vector. I'll update both words to an actual font. However, I'm not going to go with a regular font like you linked because I would like it to have a bit more character to it.

Offline lz2019

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 23:08:50 »

Thanks for your feedback. The reason it was written ugly is because it was actually written and converted into a vector. I'll update both words to an actual font. However, I'm not going to go with a regular font like you linked because I would like it to have a bit more character to it.

Yep, the one I put up is just a googled one. It's great you plan to work more on it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:11:05 by lz2019 »

Offline loddee

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 15:20:20 »
Any updates on progress with IC/timeline for GB? :)

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 15:22:15 »
Any updates on progress with IC/timeline for GB? :)

Nothing solid. I currently have a US vendor interested and obviously zFrontier but for sure it will be after Sloth is in GB. So earliest would be near the end of Q3. Realistically sometime in Q4.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 22:12:44 »
Hopefully dailyclack or swtichkeys can be vendors

Offline rinstady

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 07:12:33 »
I have to registry account, research for the 'A popular serial bus for keyboard connectivity:' answer just to spend my first comment on the forum that
' you have a GREAT job bro '

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline brandkeebs

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 00:36:53 »
wao first time ive seen this, would love to see this make it to gb :)

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 12:39:33 »
I'm currently in talks with some vendors to get this started. If there are any kit suggestions, please speak now or forever hold your peace.  :D

Offline Rew23

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 23:11:53 »
I've had this set on watch for awhile now. 1u blanks would be awesome to include as part of a kit or as a separate option.

Offline loddee

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 08:14:19 »
Woho finally! Soon™

Offline Anakey

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 09:55:47 »
any chance for a 1.25u cloud novelty for those using ISO as you already have the Iso enter novelty?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 10:03:12 »
any chance for a 1.25u cloud novelty for those using ISO as you already have the Iso enter novelty?

Good suggestion, let me add that to the list.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 15:02:40 »
Updated sets with new Icon mods

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 00:44:23 »
More great work DriftingBunnies! This set looks  really good and I would love to put it on the forever65
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 03:37:43 »
Oh new icon mods are looking good! This alt icon is much better.

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 09:33:54 »
This set is beautiful! This is absolutely the type of set you NEED to get the desk mat with. When this runs I'll 100% buy it and put it on my Austin :)

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 09:38:44 »
This set is beautiful! This is absolutely the type of set you NEED to get the desk mat with. When this runs I'll 100% buy it and put it on my Austin :)

Appreciate it :)

Unfortunately some bad news. We're putting this set on hold until KAT becomes more reliable. Most recently, there has been delays in getting invoices, warped spacebars and keys 2u or longer, etc etc. I apologize to those looking forward to this set. I'll continue to be in talks with the US vendor to see when the best time will be if we decide to run it.

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 14:40:30 »
SAD :(

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 14:46:25 »
Bravo for taking a stand on it

Will buy when this is ready down the road.