Author Topic: [IC] KAT Hyperfuse Origins - GB is Live in EU & Asian - NA soon  (Read 58726 times)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS

S7-Elephant - Kits: Ancient Alpha | Icon Modifiers | Purple Icon Accent kit | Novelties

I am thrilled to present to you the KAT version of Hyperfuse Origins!
Welcome to this IC!

Google Form for Feedback

KAT

All of you should be more or less familiar now with this profile, but for those that are not, here are a couple of things you can check/read:
※ ↠ English link with some images
※ ↠ Chinese link with some more images

If you don't want to go and read, know this: it's higher than GMK, looks like SA whilst being shorter than SA (so, all the pros without the cons) :D
Schematics comparing it to SA and GMK:

※ Schematics comparing it to SA and GMK: ↠
More

※ Picture comparing it to SA: ↠
More

Kyuu - Kits: Alpha | Text Modifiers | Purple accent | Teal accent

Hyperfuse, really?!

So yeah, you have seen (D)SA, JTK, GMK Hyperfuse, so why run a KAT version of it?

Well, for one, I really like the profile. Also, believe it or not, some people still do not have Hyperfuse - so whether you want to renew your older shiny Hyperfuse set, or are looking for your first set, this is perfect :)
This would also be the first time you would have icons only modifiers for the set - I really hope you like those!

AKI-S - Kits: Alpha | Icon Modifiers | FR kit | Teal accent

Kits

Alphas:
More
Alphas

ISO

International

French kit

Colevrak

Modifiers:
More
Modifiers

Accent

CMD

40s

Ortho

Ergo

Spacebars

Numpad:
More
Numpad

Novelties:
More
Novelties

explanation for the novelties:
More

KBD19X - Kits: Alpha | Icon Modifiers | Teal accent | Purple accent | Calculus

Artisans

I love artisans and I hope you will love the collabs we have prepared for this set - These will NOT be exclusive to GB participants, but GB participants will have an increased chance of winning :)

Artkey - Did anyone say... Sirius? (just to be clear, because I have seen a bunch of discussion on Discords, this is not a commission, Sirius are notavailable for commissions, this is just a collab)
Alpha Keycaps - Alpha will be producing his newest artisan in Hyperfuse colors

KBD19X - Kits: Alpha | Icon Modifiers | Teal accent | Purple accent | Calculus

Vendors
Here is where you want to go depending on your region:
for Europe, MyKeyboard.eu;
for the States, Originative;
for China and the rest of Asia, zFrontier.

Xeno - Kits: Alpha | Text Modifiers | Teal accent

Prices

Here are the prices for the GB - the only missing one is the regular spacebar kit as there has been a problem with the quoting.

↡ Kits\Vendors MyKeyboard (EU) Originative (NA)zFrontier
Unit Count
Alpha
€35
$35
$31
56.75u
Ancient Alpha
€35
$35
$31
56.75u
Modifiers (text)
€70
$65
$56
105.25u
Modifiers (icons)
€70
$65
$56
105.25u
Novelties
€32
$32
$29
53.75u
Purple Accent (text)
€23
$22
$20
36.25u
Purple Accent (icons)
€23
$22
$20
36.25u
Teal Accent (text)
€23
$22
$20
36.25u
Teal Accent (icons)
€23
$22
$20
36.25u
Numpad
€30
$28
$22
39u
Spacebars (Grey)
€21
$20
$18
32.25u
Spacebars (Purple)
€27
$25
$22
40.5u
Spacebars (Teal)
€27
$25
$22
40.5u
ISO
€13
$12
$9
15u
North
€36
$36
$31
57.5u
South
€34
$32
$30
55.5u
French
€30
$30
$27
48.5u
Colevrak+
€28
$25
$25
46.5u
CMD (text)
€14
$15
$13
22.5u
CMD (icons)
€14
$15
$13
22.5u
40s (text)
€45
$45
$40
72.5u
40s (icons)
€45
$45
$40
72.5u
Ortho (text)
€28
$28
$23
42u
Ortho (icons)
€28
$28
$23
42u
Ergo
€50
$50
$46
86.5u

Thanks

I wanted to thank Bunny and Sherryton for allowing me to work on this and helping me with the set! I also wanted to thank OCM and Konstantin for the icons. Finally, big thank to fatboycarney for helping me and listening to me rambling all the time and Manzel for the awesome renders!

Want to support?

You can copy this in your signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105660.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/abAdgWg.png[/img][/url]

Renders

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:16:34 by JSaintS »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
Re: [IC] KAT Hyperfuse Origins
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:09:51 »
Will you be getting color samples before the GB? PBT will be noticeably more muted than ABS.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:13:35 by Fredington »

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:10:47 »
Will you be getting color samples before the GB? PBT will be noticeably more muted that ABS.

We did send samples from previous hyperfuse buys for keyreative to colormatch and will share pics as soon as we get them :)

Offline Mr.Elli0t

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:24:58 »
S.O.L.D  :D

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:29:03 »
It was bound to happen eventually!

Edit: Numlock icons, or whatever they are, are weird but whatever. I'll prob. use the text mods anyway.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:39:54 by nasp »

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:35:34 »
+1 can't wait

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 15:17:30 »
Glad to see F8 is included in the base kit.

Offline krikun98

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 15:38:25 »
Icon 40's?

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 15:38:47 »
Looks great, I’ll definitely be in for a number of kits. Any chance for an extra B somewhere for Alice layouts? Either the alphas or spacebars kit maybe? I guess there are blank 1u keys in the spacebars kit as a fallback, but a proper B would be nice.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 15:44:10 »
Icon 40's?

I'll look into that :) keep an eye out ;)

Looks great, I’ll definitely be in for a number of kits. Any chance for an extra B somewhere for Alice layouts? Either the alphas or spacebars kit maybe? I guess there are blank 1u keys in the spacebars kit as a fallback, but a proper B would be nice.

I'll add that to the spacebar kit :D

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 16:11:09 »
Can never have too much hyperfuse!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 16:44:31 »
I know ISO users usually complain about not being included so it's nice to be able to complain the other way and ask what is anyone supposed to do with five spare enter keys?  That's before considering the ANSI one we struggle to avoid, or the five spares from calculus kit.  Looks like a lot of big keys which used to cost lots, though I've not been in the market for a long time so maybe that's changed...

Never tried KAT and considering getting some Colemak caps so would be interested in this, if I'm still alive and employed by then.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline 8bitderp

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 16:47:37 »
Excited to see this irl :) Will be my first KAT Profile ;)
Daffy Collector

Offline azulyf

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 16:58:26 »
1.25 blank space key please!

Is there any reverse dye-sub KAT set available yet? Not sure how close would the color match.

Offline quadrotiles

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 17:04:34 »
So many good looking set recently. Rip my wallet.
But for real, I'm so happy that at least the non-gmk sets are getting really good iso support. I will personally make a beautiful sculpture out of all the spare iso enters. I'm so ready.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 17:31:01 »

This would also be the first time you would have icons only modifiers for the set - I really hope you like those!

Actually, the new HFO GMK run on Oco is Icon Mods.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 17:35:17 »
Would really love to see some more bold-sided alpha legends. This looks great as is but thin legends have always been kind of a turn-off to me.

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 18:03:12 »
Please add another b in spacekit

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 18:28:21 »
Would really love to see some more bold-sided alpha legends. This looks great as is but thin legends have always been kind of a turn-off to me.

I'll echo this. Not Cyberspace bold, but def. a little bit thicker than the renders show.

Offline Tree_

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 19:15:59 »
Something I've always liked about many of the other Hyperfuse sets (SA, DSA and JTK) was that the Purple and Teal accent keys came in the base kit. While it's nice to see so many different accent keys, why are these split in to different kits?

Others might not agree, but I'd rather see one accent kit with both colours even if the amount of keys is cut down. Buying a Purple and Teal accent kit looks like it will result in a lot of unused keys.

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 20:44:21 »

I'll echo this. Not Cyberspace bold, but def. a little bit thicker than the renders show.

I agree. Thin font ldoes not look good. Something as thick as SA legends usually are would be good enough I think.

Offline tiamo123654

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 21:39:54 »
I am IN!

Offline Jetstream

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 21:53:06 »
kinda being one of those but since this will be using the KAT MOQ system it'd be pretty cool for some sublegends my vote would be either Hangul or Japanese

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 00:35:18 »
I love it; it's been a while since I've talked w/ Sherryton. I'm looking forward to this set! I'm still using my rosegold JD40 that I bought from OCO a while back. Also, if OCO has any spare DSA Hyperfuse aets, I'd like to buy one from y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 01:19:46 »
Will be my first Hyperfuse set, great job JSaintS!!  :thumb: And bring on the Artisans to!!   :eek:

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 04:40:16 »
Omgg yess please. This is going to be the coolest cat set.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 05:53:07 »
A few things I notice

- Icon mods looks really inconsistent. If you want to offer icon mods at least make then look the same. That shift icon looks weird and the diamond icon looks so big. I think you should make the icons like other KAT sets, look at KAT WoB for example

- Same with the text, there is something really weird. Maybe it needs to be bolder or something, idk. Also, I dont thing that type of font match with KAT sets, yet all the KAT and SA keysets have it. A custom text would be better imo. This is a legendary keyset, it should need more love

- Ortho/40s. I think you should add icons to them too

- Accents icons shouldnt have text keys. At the end it is an icon set, right?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 06:36:28 »
- Icon mods looks really inconsistent. If you want to offer icon mods at least make then look the same. That shift icon looks weird and the diamond icon looks so big. I think you should make the icons like other KAT sets, look at KAT WoB for example

I think the icons in the kit pics are not to scale, since there are sizing inconsistencies, as you mentioned (also with the different arrows, for example). The renders ought to be more accurate.

Offline Tainado

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 11:27:03 »
This is Ideal Profile for the Ideal Keyset .....However , I hope the Font/Legend will be a bit thicker , a bit bold ; to match the "rebel" vibe of the Hyperfuse . Skinny font is a bit of a turn off for me .

Hope you would consider .

Awesome Job !!!! Cant wait for the Artisan

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 11:33:59 »
Would appreciate the addition of a 2u shift.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 14:22:26 »
Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is doing fine and had an amazing saturday :) Thank you for the incredible feedback I've been getting both here and on Discord, here are the answers to most/all comments here:

My bad on this - when you click on the link on Oco, it shows a pics with both icon and text modifiers ^^

;)

Something I've always liked about many of the other Hyperfuse sets (SA, DSA and JTK) was that the Purple and Teal accent keys came in the base kit. While it's nice to see so many different accent keys, why are these split in to different kits?

Others might not agree, but I'd rather see one accent kit with both colours even if the amount of keys is cut down. Buying a Purple and Teal accent kit looks like it will result in a lot of unused keys.

Unfortunately this is unlikely to change - the beauty of KAT is that there is no MOQ per kit as long as the general MOQ is hit so I will not merge both kits or include them in the core modifiers kit. My goal is to keep it as flexible as possible and as cheap as possible for a majority of people - yes, if you want both accent kits you'll end up with unused keys, but is likely to be the case with any potential solutions. What I will do, however, is remove the "hyper" and "fuse" keys to put them in the novelties kits once those are done which would lower even further the price of the accent kits and the potential number of unused keys for those getting the accent kits :)

I agree. Thin font ldoes not look good. Something as thick as SA legends usually are would be good enough I think.

I discussed this with Manzel who did the render and it turns out that the font used on those renders is .5mm thick instead of the .6mm used by keyreative for KAT Alpha. I want to make clear that the end result will match KAT Alpha/Oasis/Eternal/Atlantis, etc. as they all use .6mm so the font will indeed be a little thicker than on these renders :)

A few things I notice

- Same with the text, there is something really weird. Maybe it needs to be bolder or something, idk. Also, I dont thing that type of font match with KAT sets, yet all the KAT and SA keysets have it. A custom text would be better imo. This is a legendary keyset, it should need more love

I will go point by point:

1/ Did you mean inconsistent base off of the kit images? If so, that's totally my fault as I did those on photoshop, my bad - I'll make sure to redo them on illustrator so they look better and more consistent and I'll definitely look into the icons again to streamline everything (size, thickness, etc.) If you mean inconsistent in term of the icon itself, shift was made to match caps lock and caps lock was made like this because I wanted a more modern version of what the key does, it is essentially a locked shift (the little bar under the triangle is reused for scroll lock and for num lock). The SYS key (diamond key) can be resized to make it smaller - I did not think it was too big, but I can see what can be done. As a matter of fact, on the 19x render, it is smaller and more in line with the other icons, it's really my kit picture that makes it look bigger.
   1.1/ I made something different than other sets on purpose, I wanted this to be my take on it and hopefully improve a couple of those keys based off of my personal taste and what I have seen from other members online.

2/ I myself really like the font used, it will be a little thicker of course, but I really like it - not sure if you're implying (with the "it should need more love" line) that I quickly through this together and called it a day, but it's not the case - I love hyperfuse and that is not something I want to do lightly.

3/ I already mentioned above that I was going to look into a 40s icon kit and I'll add that I'll definitely look into an ortho icon kit as well :)

4/ I said it above, these keys will be moved to the novelties kits when those are ready. That said, I don't agree with you - I don't force icons on anyone, that is why there is a text modifiers kit. This is a set in which you can either get text or icons and is in no way an "icon set" :)

I think the icons in the kit pics are not to scale, since there are sizing inconsistencies, as you mentioned (also with the different arrows, for example). The renders ought to be more accurate.

Indeed - as I discussed with you on discord, those were made by me on Photoshop but icons will be consistent in size, 100%

;)

I've already updated some text kits (40s, ortho, modifiers), icon kits will follow as soon as I'm done checking the icons and redoing the pictures :)

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 14:59:07 »
Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is doing fine and had an amazing saturday :) Thank you for the incredible feedback I've been getting both here and on Discord, here are the answers to most/all comments here:

My bad on this - when you click on the link on Oco, it shows a pics with both icon and text modifiers ^^

;)
Show Image

Unfortunately this is unlikely to change - the beauty of KAT is that there is no MOQ per kit as long as the general MOQ is hit so I will not merge both kits or include them in the core modifiers kit. My goal is to keep it as flexible as possible and as cheap as possible for a majority of people - yes, if you want both accent kits you'll end up with unused keys, but is likely to be the case with any potential solutions. What I will do, however, is remove the "hyper" and "fuse" keys to put them in the novelties kits once those are done which would lower even further the price of the accent kits and the potential number of unused keys for those getting the accent kits :)

I discussed this with Manzel who did the render and it turns out that the font used on those renders is .5mm thick instead of the .6mm used by keyreative for KAT Alpha. I want to make clear that the end result will match KAT Alpha/Oasis/Eternal/Atlantis, etc. as they all use .6mm so the font will indeed be a little thicker than on these renders :)

A few things I notice

1/ Did you mean inconsistent base off of the kit images? If so, that's totally my fault as I did those on photoshop, my bad - I'll make sure to redo them on illustrator so they look better and more consistent and I'll definitely look into the icons again to streamline everything (size, thickness, etc.) If you mean inconsistent in term of the icon itself, shift was made to match caps lock and caps lock was made like this because I wanted a more modern version of what the key does, it is essentially a locked shift (the little bar under the triangle is reused for scroll lock and for num lock). The SYS key (diamond key) can be resized to make it smaller - I did not think it was too big, but I can see what can be done. As a matter of fact, on the 19x render, it is smaller and more in line with the other icons, it's really my kit picture that makes it look bigger.
   1.1/ I made something different than other sets on purpose, I wanted this to be my take on it and hopefully improve a couple of those keys based off of my personal taste and what I have seen from other members online.

2/ I myself really like the font used, it will be a little thicker of course, but I really like it - not sure if you're implying (with the "it should need more love" line) that I quickly through this together and called it a day, but it's not the case - I love hyperfuse and that is not something I want to do lightly.

3/ I already mentioned above that I was going to look into a 40s icon kit and I'll add that I'll definitely look into an ortho icon kit as well :)

4/ I said it above, these keys will be moved to the novelties kits when those are ready. That said, I don't agree with you - I don't force icons on anyone, that is why there is a text modifiers kit. This is a set in which you can either get text or icons and is in no way an "icon set" :)

Indeed - as I discussed with you on discord, those were made by me on Photoshop but icons will be consistent in size, 100%

;)
Show Image

I've already updated some text kits (40s, ortho, modifiers), icon kits will follow as soon as I'm done checking the icons and redoing the pictures :)
Appreciate the changes!
Any chance we can add 6.25 and 7u purple and teal spacebars to accent kits? Similar to the JTK spacebars?

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 18:30:41 »
I'd be in for a few kits. I really like the inclusion of a 2u shift in the base mods.

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 19:42:35 »
Didnt think I'd easily get HFO on a ergo, very nice spacebar kit addition with the B key... I guess I'll give KAT a shot

X5 on the bolder legends but I see that's already been addressed

Offline byoliven

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 20:29:06 »
Hello everyone!

;)
Show Image

A few things I notice

;)
Show Image

Appreciate the changes!
Any chance we can add 6.25 and 7u purple and teal spacebars to accent kits? Similar to the JTK spacebars?

And also short accent spacebar like 2.25u, 2.75u, plz

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[IC] KAT Hyperfuse Origins
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 21:45:10 »
I'm looking forward to the 40s kit & I now even more that I'll be joining this GB!

Offline FTR_Beat

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 01:07:18 »
You have the purple accent keys!

I was looking into the GMK set going on right now on Origin, but it didn't seem to have the purple ones.

I am not familiar with KAT profile. Would be cool to try it out on this set.

I see you have 2.00 shift keys. How about 2 2.25 shift keys?

Offline delet_d

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 02:02:56 »

+1 for thicker font

Love the 40s kit btw, thanks for 1.5u shift!

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 03:08:16 »
im totally down to get this. count me in.

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 03:24:27 »
I know that Hyperfuse kits have an well-established colorway, but what about a second mod-colored alpha kit?

And a small kit or rendering issue: first render below the kits (KBD19X) has alternate colored F-row, but none of the kits contains light F1-F4 and F9-F12.

Offline bow3i

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 05:33:09 »
This looks great, and finally in KAT!

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 17:22:57 »
Really nice colours and icons, and I’m keen to try KAT.
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 19:31:37 »
You have all the niche kits here! Interested AF

Offline gecruz

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 21:46:30 »
Can't wait. I'd like a thicker font and left-align modifiers though

Offline Actualize

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 02:29:29 »
This kit looks awesome, surely I'm in

Offline hammerbrotha

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 12:13:10 »
I'm very interested!

Offline cosmo10292

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 12:25:15 »
Thought i was done buying caps....

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 12:43:05 »
I'm a fan of the icons. Very interested!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 13:46:14 »
ah this is great! looking forward to this, hopefully we get samples soon.

some feedback: it seems like all KAT IC runners share some template and it would be great if the errors in it could be fixed, it's not very pretty :/ for example, some symbol keys in the alphas having dual legends and some having mono legends; it's probably just an error in the mock-up but it still could be fixed. also, the backslash key in the mods that's supposed to be 1.5u big is shown as 1.75u.

one thing in the kits that's probably an error is the missing alpha color 1u backslash key in the alpha kit.

also, again, I don't think it's good style to use upper case legends for ι, θ, η and ΰ keys in the french kit. no real keyboard uses upper case there, it's always lower case (as is the output of the key)

edit: there are other errors that are similar to other KAT ICs: base mods contain a 'home' for the shift row where it should be an 'end', and the numpad kit only contains insert and home for the f-row when it needs all of the navigation keys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 14:23:00 by stoffelduss »

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 14:58:36 »
I'd like to propose an additional small Mod kit for redundant or obscure Mods. Firstly, a Mods kit and an Accent kit together are almost enough for 2 different keyboards (assuming you make slightly differing choices in the bottom row, with CapsLock and with Backspace for the two keyboards) and I think it would be very neat to offer a redundancy kit for those who would like to do this.
This would include: A second Tab and a second 2.25u Shift (which would also make this a 660 compatibility kit) at least, and ideally also a second 1.75u Shift (so you could build a 1800 and a 65%, for example), maybe then also a second 2u Backspace (or add accented 2u Backspaces to the accent kits).
So, not a lot of keys in general! Then this would also be a perfect kit to move some more obscure keys and legends to, like the 2u and 1u Shift that are currently in base, a 'Function' key for the CapsLock position, 2 1.5u System keys (one of which is currently in base, weirdly), 1.5u 'Delete' as replacement for the 1.5u 'Backspace'... you could move even more rare keys from the regular mods kit here to make it slimmer: I'd propose taking the Mods color 1u (not 1.5u) Backslash key, the stepped Control key, R2 PgUp and R1 PgDn, one of the 1u Controls, one of the 1u Alts and the 1u Menu key all and putting them in this new additional/redundant/obscure Mods kit.
All in all, this would result in a new kit containing up to 18 keys, and a regular Mods kit significantly shrunken. I would also completely remove the R4 End and PgDn keys from the regular Mods kit (and add appropriate R5 keys to the Numpad kit), and add a 1.25u Menu key and a F13 key to the regular Mods. I think this would result in a more focused regular Mods kit with better priorities, and a good solution for more compatibility, perfectly fitting legends and possibly a second keyboard with the keyset.

edit: I forgot to put the Mod-colored 1u Backslash key in the kit on the right in this picture. I don't think it needs to be included but I didn't leave it out on purpose either.

edit2: I just realized the kits in my picture are missing options for the top key of the rightmost column in a 65%, other than Home. I'd also put Print and Del in the base mods for that position, Del is actually in your current base kit setup and I forgot to include it again in my picture.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2020, 05:36:02 by stoffelduss »