Author Topic: [IC] KAT Monochrome - GB September 1st! - Update: Prices!  (Read 59687 times)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
[IC] KAT Monochrome - GB September 1st! - Update: Prices!
« on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:27:42 »

S7-Elephant - Kits: Alpha | Icon Modifiers | Novelties

GB Thread is open!

Manners maketh man!

I have teased this a couple of weeks/months ago on some discord, and here it is! This was supposed to go live at the same time than KAT HFO, but I wanted to wait on the feedback I got from there to finish the kits.

Google Form for Feedback

KAT

All of you should be more or less familiar now with this profile, but for those that are not, here are a couple of things you can check/read:
※ ↠ English link with some images
※ ↠ Chinese link with some more images

If you don't want to go and read, know this: it's higher than GMK, looks like SA whilst being shorter than SA (so, all the pros without the cons) :D
Schematics comparing it to SA and GMK:

※ Schematics comparing it to SA and GMK: ↠
More

※ Picture comparing it to SA: ↠
More

AKI-S - Kits: Alpha | Icon Modifiers | FR kit

Colors
Before you guys check the kits, I wanted to mention the colors I’ll be using here:
White: WS2
Black: RAL 000 15 00

Why not CR just like GMK Monochrome was? Simply because I got informed that it was impossible. I will aim for the darkest black possible (and I do think RAL 000 15 00 is quite nice) and I’ll keep you guys updated as samples come in.

In the meantime:
More

WS2 samples

Black samples - disclaimer: these were not made for me but for another set. I have asked samples matching RAL 000 15 00 but still wanted to share this picture to show the difference with GMK’s CR - as I said before, I’m aiming for the darkest black I can achieve.

Kits

Alphas:
More
Alphas

ISO

North

South

French kit

Colevrak

Modifiers:
More
Modifiers

Mac

40s

Ortho

Ergo

Spacebars

Numpad:
More
Numpad

Novelties:
More
Novelties

J-02 - Kits: Alpha | Text Modifiers | Novelties

Artisans

I'm currently checking with artisans and will confirm them as they come. These will NOT be exclusive to GB participants so every monochrome lover out there can get a shot at these! If you have anyone specific in mind, let me know :)

* GSK
* Archetype
* BadHabbit
* Fraktal
* Latrialum
* Lividity
* TRMK

Deskpad

Vendors
Here is where you want to go depending on your region:
for Europe, MyKeyboard.eu;
for UK, ProtoTypist;
for the States, TX Keyboards;
for Canada, ApexKeyboards;
for China, the rest of Asia and OCE, zFrontier.

KBD19X - Kits: WoB Alphas | WoB Icon Modifiers | WoB Novelties | WoB Numpad

Pricing

FAQ

* What white will this be?
WS2 - the exact same as I used for GMK Monochrome. I've asked for samples and you can check them in the "colors" section above.

* Why should I buy Monochrome and not another of the BoW/WoB sets?
As I said, I plan on using a WS2 white and use the darkest black available. I will use the updated modifiers icons I used for Hyperfuse and plan on supporting as many layouts/languages as possible. Also, there is a moustache novelty, what else do you need?

* I see you also offer WoB kits, why do it when there already is KAT WOB?
~~So, long story short, when designing the kits and discussing it with people, I got asked to offer a way to have a full WoB/BoW keyboard. Due to how KAT's MOQ works and the fact that I already had the kits "layout", this didn't take much time and I figured why not. I talked about this with OCM and he is 100% on board with me doing this, this is also why I have decided to only offer support for the standard layout, nothing in the lines of 40%, ergo, colvevrak, etc. If you guys want that, I will kindly redirect you to OCM's KAT WOB. I would not have done this without his approval and I thank him for accepting!~~
Forget what I said, given that OCM cancelled WoB, I went and made kits to offer full WoB and BoW compatibility. That means I have... 46 kits, aouch :s Hope you guys like it!

* Where can I get the icons you used?
Ping me, I'll send you the updated ones used for KAT HFO, Monochrome and Iron :)

Thanks

OCM for his help with the original icons, the hiragana alphas and allowing me to run the WoB variant;
Konstantin for this help with the icons, the arabic, cyrillic, zhuyin and hangul font and for discussing kit updates with me;
FatBoyCarney for helping me and listening to me rambling all the time;
Manzel for the awesome renders; and
All the vendors that accepted to run this keyset despite the huge amount of kits.

Want to support?

You can copy this in your signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106802.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/Xjrrf0v.png[/img][/url]

Renders Gallery

AKI-S - Kits: Alpha | Icon Modifiers | FR kit

Alpine65 - WoB Hiragana Alpha | WoB Icon Modifiers | WoB novelties

J-02 - Kits: Alpha | Text Modifiers | Novelties

S7-Elephant - Kits: Alpha | Icon Modifiers | Novelties

KBD19X - Kits: WoB Alphas | WoB Icon Modifiers | WoB Novelties | WoB Numpad

Bear60 - BoW Arabic Alpha | BoW Icon Modifiers

Neuron - BoW Alpha | Text Monochrome 40s | WoB Novelties

Austin - BoW Hangul Alpha | Text Monochrome Modifiers | Monochrome Numpad | WoB Novelties

Stay tuned, more renders are coming soon

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 03:29:03 by JSaintS »

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
Re: [IC] KAT Monochrome
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:28:02 »
Change Log:

June 6th: added WoB and BoW compatibility for all kits
June 10th: added R2 novelty for full compatibility with boards like the ION x RAMA Zenith
June 30th: added Arabic and Hiragana alpha kits (a change here and there might still happen, but wanted to add them), added R3 "Up" to all modifiers kits, merged Monochrome/BoW Colevrak+ kit, updated the kit renders reflecting the change from flat keys to scooped for the alphas and the numpad kits. Update the confirmed artisans list. Added a couple more renders to the gallery!
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:50:48 by JSaintS »

Offline pcire

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:30:58 »
Nice!

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:33:57 »
Ok so now I have to decided between this and refined and wob and.... f me
Love it. All this new KAT sets are making my life harder

Edit: Actually quick question, is there any chance of offering the international kits in bow/wob too? since those are part of the alphas.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:36:45 by Bl4ck »

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:39:31 »
R3 pipe for my preonic style layout. Thanks. I love you.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:59:32 »
One of my all-time favorite GMK sets gets the KAT treatment. Yes please!

All of the extra compatibility and colorway options are just icing on top of the top-hat–wearing, handlebar-mustache–sporting, cake.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:03:52 »
Nice!!!

I'm here for Colevrak, Ortho, and Ergo kits.

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:05:55 »
I for one would prefer the darkest gray over the darkest black.

Would you offer the white F row keys from the dark modifiers in black too so we can have a complete WoB? Especially since KAT WoB is no more.

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2020, 19:16:52 by SirTimmyTimbit »

Offline BlindFaith

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:11:52 »
I am here for alphas, modifiers (icons) and novelties.

Offline syberghost

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:23:26 »
KAT Goes With Everything
yes, I'm the guy who put box jades on a Polaris

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:37:17 »
ne fedora graphic avail

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:49:59 »
IMO, Move the spacebars and function keys from the alpha kit and into the mod kit. I can’t imagine that the number of folks buying black alphas and not a TKL kit will need 8 non consecutive function keys. Make alpha just alphas.

Digging the 40s/ortho kits and the mustache novelties. Any chance of getting the mustache/beard combo onto some 1u in addition to the ISO enter?

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 16:27:10 »
Lord have mercy, that Deskmat is a work of art

Offline bobaboy

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 17:19:21 »
This is AWESOME. I love that this has novelties, standard KAT font legends, icon mods, all of which KAT Refined is missing.

That being said, I also love the new legend font that KAT Refined uses.

Super hyped for both sets!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:00:38 »
Bummer to see OCM suspended WoB. Glad you’re doing 40s and other kits. GLWGB.

Offline abrokencondom

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:53:31 »
Iso beard novelty is great. The term iso beard is very relevant for the recents time too
Love the dapper deskpad
Appreciate the extra kit options!
I need this tuxedo in my keycap wardrobe

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:55:40 »
The set looks great. Count me in

Any chance we'll see a WoB Colevrak kit?
This will let people who are interested in a completely WoB set with colevrak.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Demetri25

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 23:58:43 »
Definitely will be waiting for this one  :thumb:

Offline swarp

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 00:58:26 »
That looks great. But why not add black f1~f4&f9~f12 on modifier kit? I want black f1~f12.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 02:08:21 »
So if one wants a full black ortho, you'd have to buy the alphas, ortho and two spacebar kits, since there's only 1 black 1u key. That makes very little sense.

And since you also get spacebars with the alphas, you'd end up with a total of 26 extra unused space bars  :thumb:

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 03:07:31 »
That looks great. But why not add black f1~f4&f9~f12 on modifier kit? I want black f1~f12.

Those keys were added in the alpha kit to not increase the price of the "monochrome" modifier kit. This will be changed now that i'm reworking the kits as OCM cancelled KAT WoB. I'll make sure all kits have a BoW and WoB variant in addition to the Monochrome one (what I call monochrome is white alphas and black modifiers).

So if one wants a full black ortho, you'd have to buy the alphas, ortho and two spacebar kits, since there's only 1 black 1u key. That makes very little sense.

And since you also get spacebars with the alphas, you'd end up with a total of 26 extra unused space bars  :thumb:
This was "on purpose" as KAT Monochrome was not supposed to support full WoB/BoW anything except for what could be covered with alpha+modifiers+numpad. Now that OCM cancelled KAT WoB, I'll be reworking the kits and make a BoW and WoB variant in addition to the Monochrome one :-) Stay tuned!

The set looks great. Count me in

Any chance we'll see a WoB Colevrak kit?
This will let people who are interested in a completely WoB set with colevrak.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It is in the works :)

Offline harlekein

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 03:46:47 »
100% in for Colevrak and Ortho.

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 07:28:39 »
Nice !
French kit included as usual with JSaintS ! You can count me in.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline krzank

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 08:35:38 »
French WoB?

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 09:42:56 »
This is probably one of the most dapper things I've ever seen!

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 10:20:37 »
People are reporting misaligned legends and mould issues on the KAT milkshake they've just received  :eek: :eek:
Biip's discord server has multiple reports of the above mentioned issues.

I'm curious, if anything can be done to see that this does not happen with KAT monochrome should it go into GB.

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 11:12:39 »
I love the clean look of this set, and the extensive international support offered by all the kits!

I'd like to suggest one more: please add a "Japan Kit" to this set which adds support for Japanese (JIS) layout keyboards.  Note that I am *not* asking for hiragana legends or anything of that ilk, just support for Japanese layout in the same way that you have a France kit to support French layouts.

I've attached an image of what this would entail for this set.  The space bars are optional -- you already have a 3U in your spacebars kit, for example -- but would be nice to have.  The ◯/× symbols are kind of stand-ins for the actual icon mods they represent; see the keys either side of the space bar in these images for examples:

You could also do away with the icon versions entirely and just go for text mods for these keys. Or you could have Japanese-language versions of these keys (無変換/変換 etc.), but I didn't include these because they didn't seem right for this set.

JIS support is currently severely under-represented in the keyboard community, partly because the MOQ mechanisms involved with traditional manufacturers like GMK require a certain amount of momentum to even get started.  My understanding is that KAT makes this easier by having MOQs based on number of keys across all kits, so even if a kit is less popular, it still contributes to the total MOQ.  This affords us the opportunity to stick our toe in the water with JIS-supporting kits.

It would be especially nice to have JIS support for a clean kit like this, with its neutral colour scheme and simple alphas.  Alpha-only kits (without hiragana sublegends) are very popular in Japan, so I'd love to see more support for JIS in kits that aren't otherwise "Japanese-y" like so many of the hiragana sub- and mono- legends that we've had recently (not that they aren't great too!)

Please do give this request consideration as I really think this set could really lead the way on more general JIS support.  I'm happy to answer any further questions either here or privately / on Discord.

Thanks!

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
[IC] KAT Monochrome - HUGE kit update (BoW/WoB compatibility added)
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 13:59:54 »
Hello everyone!

I wanted to thank you all for the support and feedback here/on reddit/on the Google Form (now obsolete due to the new kits). I wanted to ping everyone following as I have listened and have added WoB and BoW variants for ALL kits - hope you enjoy :)

People are reporting misaligned legends and mould issues on the KAT milkshake they've just received  :eek: :eek:

I'm curious, if anything can be done to see that this does not happen with KAT monochrome should it go into GB.

I have seen this online, indeed. I invite all KAT designers to urge Keyrative to get their tooling fixed. I have contacted them (via zFrontier) and have asked an explanation as to what is going to be done to fix the issue. I will comment here when I know what will be done.

I love the clean look of this set, and the extensive international support offered by all the kits!

I'd like to suggest one more: please add a "Japan Kit" to this set which adds support for Japanese (JIS) layout keyboards.  Note that I am *not* asking for hiragana legends or anything of that ilk, just support for Japanese layout in the same way that you have a France kit to support French layouts.

I've attached an image of what this would entail for this set.  The space bars are optional -- you already have a 3U in your spacebars kit, for example -- but would be nice to have.  The ◯/× symbols are kind of stand-ins for the actual icon mods they represent; see the keys either side of the space bar in these images for examples:

You could also do away with the icon versions entirely and just go for text mods for these keys. Or you could have Japanese-language versions of these keys (無変換/変換 etc.), but I didn't include these because they didn't seem right for this set.

JIS support is currently severely under-represented in the keyboard community, partly because the MOQ mechanisms involved with traditional manufacturers like GMK require a certain amount of momentum to even get started.  My understanding is that KAT makes this easier by having MOQs based on number of keys across all kits, so even if a kit is less popular, it still contributes to the total MOQ.  This affords us the opportunity to stick our toe in the water with JIS-supporting kits.

It would be especially nice to have JIS support for a clean kit like this, with its neutral colour scheme and simple alphas.  Alpha-only kits (without hiragana sublegends) are very popular in Japan, so I'd love to see more support for JIS in kits that aren't otherwise "Japanese-y" like so many of the hiragana sub- and mono- legends that we've had recently (not that they aren't great too!)

Please do give this request consideration as I really think this set could really lead the way on more general JIS support.  I'm happy to answer any further questions either here or privately / on Discord.

Thanks!

I just finished a big update on all kits - I will take a look at this in a bit :)

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
Re: [IC] KAT Monochrome - HUGE kit update (BoW/WoB compatibility added)
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 14:22:52 »
I have seen this online, indeed. I invite all KAT designers to urge Keyrative to get their tooling fixed. I have contacted them (via zFrontier) and have asked an explanation as to what is going to be done to fix the issue. I will comment here when I know what will be done.

Big up! Thank you, and GL!

Offline pixls

Re: [IC] KAT Monochrome - huge kit update
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:54:02 »
definitely interested in this since WoB was cancelled, glad to see there's an option for a good clean WoB kit

Offline Animatedron

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 17:11:18 »
I've literally just signed up to GH just for this kit, I've been hoping for something like this for a while now! Can't wait till this goes live!

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 19:10:10 »
Hello everyone!

I wanted to thank you all for the support and feedback here/on reddit/on the Google Form (now obsolete due to the new kits). I wanted to ping everyone following as I have listened and have added WoB and BoW variants for ALL kits - hope you enjoy :)

Thanks!

I just finished a big update on all kits - I will take a look at this in a bit :)
I’d gladly buy Hiragana / Katakana alphas if made. I’m that weeb. Otherwise, fantastic job on this entire set. In for so many kits.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2020, 22:16:31 by synthtastic »
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline D3LTA

Re: [IC] KAT Monochrome - HUGE kit update (BoW/WoB compatibility added)
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 19:38:29 »

Thanks for adding in the multiple colevrak color options!

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 21:13:41 »
Damn, that's a lot of kits. But MoQ is different with KAT, right?

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 22:14:29 »

Yes to my understanding it's # of total keycaps sold, instead of individual kits. Not sure if certain kits are made if they only sell 1 though :P Curious to know now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2020, 22:21:44 by synthtastic »
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 22:25:00 »
Just had to have more kits eh JSaintS?  :p

Beautiful set, a lot of hard work here and those novelties amazing!!

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 02:55:54 »

Yes to my understanding it's # of total keycaps sold, instead of individual kits. Not sure if certain kits are made if they only sell 1 though :P Curious to know now.

As long as the overall total MOQ is reached (which is actually based on the sizes of keycaps - a 6.25u spacebar is worth 6.25 units towards MOQ), all kits are made in whatever quantity they're ordered, even if that's only 1. ;)

Offline modern

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 03:17:47 »
its a great time to be alive for wob options

cant believe im asking for more kits but would love to see uk iso included, couldnt see it in there

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 03:26:05 »

cant believe im asking for more kits but would love to see uk iso included, couldnt see it in there

Is there anything missing from the ISO kits? If so, which keys would be needed?

Offline modern

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 04:09:08 »
whoops, nope, i'm just an idiot who didn't spot them in the long scroll   :cool:

Offline RÖGGELL

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 04:35:11 »
I know you have plenty of kits already, but since KAW WoB has been canceled i'm sure that plenty of pleople would welcome a hiragana kit.

That might not fit in with the theme that you're going with though.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 08:37:52 »

Give me a few minutes, until all the images have loaded, and I'll check them.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 08:38:55 »

Give me a few minutes, until all the images have loaded, and I'll check them.

I think he just didn't see the ISO kit ^^

Offline Shaphyna

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:09:20 »
Wanted to join your Discord server but the link is expired  :(

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 12:11:20 »
Wow, this set is awesome. Thanks for supporting both types of modifiers in each color and even in 40% kit :thumb:

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 13:28:05 »
Great updates!

I believe the 6.25u spacebar in the 40s kits are redundant as there is already a 6.25u spacebar in the alphas kits.

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 01:01:56 »
KAT HFO and now this.
You just really want all my money don't you!

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 04:47:18 »
I just got an email from Alex @zFrontier about the issues with Milkshake. The email is quite lenghty with a bunch of pictures and screenshots with conversations with Biip.

Long story short, here is a quote from the mail:
We are in talks with Keyreative at the moment and they agreed on actively providing replacements

misaligned legends, damaged keys, tinted keys: def a QC issue and they will be providing replacements upon individual reports and work on better QC.

I explained I didn't want the same issues on Oasis/HFO/Monochrome and I do believe they will work harder on the QC (as they should, this could easily kill the profile if nothing is done).

Those that want to see the entire email can ping me on Discord with their email and I can forward it to you.

Have a wonderful day guys!

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 05:00:49 »
Just because KATY WoB is now officially dead,
Any chance of a Hiragana Alphas kit?
Pretty please?

I just want to turn this render into reality, that's all  :( :

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 05:02:56 »
Just because KATY WoB is now officially dead,
Any chance of a Hiragana Alphas kit?
Pretty please?

Show Image

I just want to turn this render into reality, that's all  :( :

Show Image

This is something that got required a couple of times already so I'll definitely look into this and I might look into other alternative alphas if requested :)