Author Topic: What's your favorite pointing device?  (Read 92431 times)

Offline afton

What's your favorite pointing device?
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 06:26:33 »
Quote from: outofideas;105525

I grabbed a Razer Deathadder and a Logitech G9 thinking I'd use one or the other for gaming, and keep using the IE 3.0 for everything else.   But after getting used to the higher DPI mice, the IE 3.0 felt quite sluggish on the desktop.

the Death Adder has a fantastic DPI but sadly not "ergonomic" for my
hands, hence using an Evoluent now.
using: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless MX Brown switch

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 07:20:13 »
What is an IE?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline afton

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 07:34:31 »
Quote from: timw4mail;105541
What is an IE?

IntelliMouse Explorer, MS' ergonomic mouse.
using: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless MX Brown switch

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 07:45:17 »
Quote from: timw4mail;105541
What is an IE?

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer.

It's a shame mice have advanced so much and the alternatives haven't. A modern mouse running at 1000dpi gives very fine control of small movements, yet still allows you to move all the way across dual 1920x1200 displays in one clean movement without stretching. And without any stupid mouse acceleration.

I want a trackball that allows the same. But that means higher resolution sensors than they have today, or bigger balls. Preferably both.

EDIT> My Logitech Trackman Marble (1.5" ball) gives about half the travel I want at a comfortable resolution. So a 3" ball would be just right for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2009, 07:56:49 by Rajagra »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 14:02:50 »
That's getting there. But I'm giving serious thought to building my own trackball out of these and some mouse parts.

The 50mm one would drop straight into my Trackman Marble FX. And the larger ones would make insane custom trackballs.

I just need some kind of, errrr, bearing to support the 4Kg mass of a 100mm steel ball bearing. :lol:

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 14:03:59 »
Logitech G9. Best mouse I ever used (your milage may vary..)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 16:15:52 »
A lightweight alternative to a solid steel ball is a gazing globe. I might build a prototype using one of them.

Like this. But quieter I hope.

I realised that putting a mouse sensor at the bottom of the sphere would cause one of the axes to be inverted, so a trackball will have to be the donor.

Offline Shuki

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 22:19:39 »
My favourite pointing device will always be a mouse. Firstly I do play a lot of online games which leaves no other option. At the moment I use the old version of the razer diamondback. I've bought quite a few mice, and at the moment the optical have the edge over laser. I spend quite a bit of time on forums such as Razer Blueprints which is sort of the mouse equivalent of this website. In fact the communities are kind of similar with many favouring the older Microsoft mice 1.1a ime 3.0 much in the same way there seems to be quite a lot of users who use the Model M.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 20:08:53 »
Quote from: CreamyNutButter;104445
LOL, actually my trackball turned out to be terrible, yet I turned the sensitivity up and the TrackPoint is an awesome FPS device now.  I was completely wrong and I now love the TrackPoint more than any other pointing device.

LOL, my trackball also turned out to be fine, I just had to fix an annoying problem with Firefox.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 20:51:29 »
I wouldn't really call it "exotic".  It is plain and no-frills, but the design works nicely.  Unfortunately, the middle button does not work, but it doesn't matter to me.  The buttons can be programmed for left handed operation. It also has a speed button to switch between ballistic mode (Full speed-uncontrollable) and normal speed.   It fits my hand quite nicely.  There is absolutely NO software included, so you have to rely on the basic mouse settings area in the Control Panel.  I am guessing that the experience would be similar to a CST trackball except with a smaller mouse and buttons.  I am strongly satisfied overall.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 17:52:59 »
At the moment, a Logitech MX-518.

I swapped it for a V-150... Best swap I ever made... (I got the V-150 for £10, this was about £40 at the time IIRC).

As I'm not a huge mouse user, this is just great for me... fits my hand well (6foot3 and hands to match), adjustable resolution, although the forward and back buttons above your thumb do annoy me when I catch them by accident. And no software to install. I hate "unnecessary" processes running in any OS.

It's a pity that Logitech's key-based offerings are piss-poor compared to their mice. Many a time have I nearly been lynched at a LAN for ripping into the G-15.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2009, 17:58:58 by InSanCen »
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 07:31:28 »
I'd say that my favorite pointing devices are the trackball integrated into my keyboard and my IBM Trackpoint L40 which I got NIB off of Ebay for 5.95USD.

It was made in 1991 (before the conventional pointing stick was commercially available) and transforms from a mouse to a trackball. It also comes with an amusing owner's manual and a mouse driver for DOS on a 720K floppy.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 22:16:51 »
I really like my Razer Deathadder mouse.  Since all my favorite keyboards have no media keys I simply make up for it with my easily programmable mouse.  Comfy and smooth too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 23:09:22 by shortround »

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 02:22:51 »
My favorite pointing device is no pointing device. Mice and trackballs are the industry's contribution to work-related injuries. I wish we could go back to green screens and text-only interfaces. (yes I use a lot of console apps on *NIX!)
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline erricrice

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 11:43:21 »
Logitech G5.
Fits my hand very well and has all kinds of buttons(that way in games you don't have to sacrifice your moving capabilities to switch weapons)
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline datamonger128

• Forever alone.
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 02 September 2009, 22:32:03 »
I'm quite fond of my Razer Diamonback 3G and my wireless HP mouse.
Coffee is supposed to be bitter.  It symbolizes the bitterness of life.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 00:24:16 »
I bought a G5 after envying my co-worker's G7.

I realize I liked the MX400 it replaced better.  The new G5's side buttons are not tactile.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 20:12:45 »
-> Logitech G9 (yay for functionality and looks, boo for small hand support surface)
-> Logitech Mx518 (yay for functionality and hand support surface, boo for looks)

Actually Id prefer a Mx518 in black + scroll-wheel with L/R functionality like the G9 has (kinda useful to go forward/backward trough tabs in Firefox etc.)
Well, the Japanese variant of the Mx518 should at least still my visual needs, hope it will arrive soon! >.>

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 21:34:03 »
I just got a Razor Salmosa off of Woot. The shape is awkward, but the mouse is really smooth to use.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 04:57:04 »
When you say 'smooth to use', do you mean in terms of the mouse's tracking or what?

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 08:38:21 »
Quote from: ch_123;114683
When you say 'smooth to use', do you mean in terms of the mouse's tracking or what?

The tracking and the "glide" of the mouse with its Teflon feet.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 09:43:49 »
Mhmm. They're quite cheap for a gamers mouse, still would prefer the MX518 though - prefer comfort over glide any day.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 09:45:53 »
Quote from: ch_123;114726
Mhmm. They're quite cheap for a gamers mouse, still would prefer the MX518 though - prefer comfort over glide any day.

Too bad I can't put the sensor and feet in my MX400, that would be an amazing mouse.

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 21:13:15 »
I like the Kensington Expert Mouse, although I do wish it had a better wrist support and the "heft" of the old Turbo Mouse.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 02:22:15 »
T
b
o

Offline Meyvn

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 17:43:11 »
My favorite by far is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revolution-Cordless-Laser-Notebooks/dp/B000HCRVUS

Logitech VX revolution.

It's just got precisely the right button combinations for me.  My only beef is the horizontal scrolling is very poor, but I never use that on other mice anyway, because 90% of websites I visit are designed to fit on a 1024x768 screen.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 17:58:58 »
Quote from: ironcoder;113578
My favorite pointing device is no pointing device. Mice and trackballs are the industry's contribution to work-related injuries. I wish we could go back to green screens and text-only interfaces. (yes I use a lot of console apps on *NIX!)

The kind of mouse you pick and how you use it can have a big effect on your risk of developing injuries. I use a Razer Diamondback constantly and my mouse hand never hurts. It's my keyboard hand that's bothering me.

A lot of mice have two really bad design flaws.

1) Awkward shape that turns it into a palm rest or a shape that reduces the biomechanical leverage of your fingers to push buttons

2) Buttons that are too stiff and lead to soft tissue strain when pressed repeatedly

Some of the so called "Ergo" mice are big offenders because they're made to "cradle" your hand and support it. That's not what you need.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 18:11:33 »
What do you need then? (asides from soft-ish buttons)

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 22:09:57 »
Quote from: ch_123;117149

Oh man I could not resist. What you need is a Logitech TrackMan wheel great cheap trackball. Love them.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline Shuki

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 22:27:37 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;114587
-> Logitech G9 (yay for functionality and looks, boo for small hand support surface)
-> Logitech Mx518 (yay for functionality and hand support surface, boo for looks)

Actually Id prefer a Mx518 in black + scroll-wheel with L/R functionality like the G9 has (kinda useful to go forward/backward trough tabs in Firefox etc.)
Well, the Japanese variant of the Mx518 should at least still my visual needs, hope it will arrive soon! >.>

Where did you find someone to deliver?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 23:37:35 »
Quote from: ch_123;117149

I assume you were asking me about what to look for in a mouse?

It's not necessarily how soft the buttons are to push, though that can be important too. It's how the shape of the mouse allows you to push them. I think Logitech makes some of the worst mice you could waste your money on. The cool "ergo" shape makes for nice place to rest your hand, but encourages you to position your hand in a way that makes your fingers biomechanically inefficent for pressing a button and that means more strain on your tendons and muscles.

Think about the way you type. Try two finger typing with both of your index fingers fully extended. I'll bet your fingers get sore pretty quickly. A lot of mice have their buttons placed in a way so that you have to press them with your fingers in a near extended state. I own one of their earlier Logitech Laser MX mice and besides its awkward shape, the buttons are far too stiff. Perhaps the overall design has improved, but they seem to be rather fond of making mice inspired by SUVs.

For your average user, those mice are fine. They're actually pretty good mice that have awkward ergonomics. If you don't do design work or you're not a FPS gamer, they're fine, but if you use your mouse as a high precision pointing device because your work  or play depends upon it, you'll have two problems.
  • You use your mouse way more than the average joe
  • You probably don't hold your mouse the same way
You have far more control over a mouse if you use your fingertips to move it around instead of using your whole wrist. The big mice become difficult to use this way. Low profile gaming mice like the Razer series allow you to comfortably use your mouse whether you're lazily steering it with your wrist or going for fine movements with just a couple of fingers and the buttons remain comfortable to press both ways.

I came to realize how crappy the big ergo mice were a few years ago when I was just starting my business and had a lot of 16 hour days. By the end of the day, I actually could not click and hold the button on my Logitech MX laser. I simply did not have enough finger strength left to hold the mouse button down longer than a few seconds after a long day.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2009, 23:42:52 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 00:44:29 »
Quote from: ripster;117191
I'm not going to wade into the is "proper size" debate but will say I like the VX Nano for laptop use.  I know some people like it for desktop use as a smaller VX Revolution.

Great trick, but is there a Ripometer adapter for one of these?
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=logitech+mx+laser&cid=9685819442196030631&sa=title#p

BTW, I didn't mean to pan all Logitech mice. I was a bit quick to give them short shrift. I haven't shopped for a mouse in a while and I seem to remember all the Logitechs had the same "cool" shape, but upon more detailed and current review, they have some more functionally shaped mice as well.

I'm not panning fans of large mice either, it's just that some of the larger mice have very awkward shapes for marathon days at the desk. The bulky Logitech MX style mice are meant to be gripped a certain way. A good mouse is any mouse that you can comfortably use in different ways for extended periods of time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2009, 00:47:30 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 02:56:55 »
Sounds like it could be worth your time trying a trackball. Ironically, the one which I think is the most comfortable to use is made by Logitech... (Trackman Wheel)

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 05:52:39 »
Quote from: ch_123;117216
Sounds like it could be worth your time trying a trackball. Ironically, the one which I think is the most comfortable to use is made by Logitech... (Trackman Wheel)

I have one in the closet that I used to pull out if my right hand ever started bothering me, but I haven't had any problems using a mouse since I switched to a Razer mouse around three years ago. I also can't imagine doing graphics design using a trackball.
-

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 09:01:43 »
Quote from: Shuki;117181
Where did you find someone to deliver?
Check out the link in the linked post from my post you quoted... ;D

Offline Shuki

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 08:13:41 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;117255
Check out the link in the linked post from my post you quoted... ;D

Oh lol I missed that. I totally lose track of some threads. I'll order it tonight :D

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 15:26:00 »
I am really liking a new mouse I've got: a Razer Salmosa. It's a mouse that you basically have to use with a fingertip grip to use comfortably. I've basically switched from a palm grip to a fingertip grip with this mouse, and I've found it very comfortable, although it's still weird for me to have my middle finger specifically for the scrollwheel...as I got used to using my Index and Middle fingers on mice before scroll wheels were very common...

I'm one of those strange people who doesn't mind a trackpad...although if I had a choice I would go for a discrete mouse over a trackpad. I can't stand trackpoints...as I find them way too small for my use. I like gestures on trackpads...I find that page up and page down are way too imprecise for scrolling through webpages, and two finger scroll makes a lot of sense to me.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 16:04:40 »
i 'just' (weeks ago) got a G9 because it was $20, had a MX518 that did NOT need replacing.  i laughed at first at the option for a free-spinning scroll wheel, but wow, how did I get by without this before?  i change it to click for games but when I'm done and then try to scroll browsing the internet, i feel it and scoff at its primitive resistance.  the thing spins forever.  i just tap it up or down and it basically covers the whole page until i stop it again or it coasts to a stop (on really long pages)

other than that it's hardy different than the mx518.  the shape of it suits the way i hold mice a little more, though... and not needing the logitech software installed to use custom DPI is NICE (you have to have customized it at one point before, but after the format or uninstall...).

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 18:48:36 »
This is my favorite pointing device:

It is very interesting the way it can change from mouse to trackball.  My friend has one also.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline bigpook

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 19:21:26 »
Is that a 4 button trackball?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 07:21:29 »
Quote from: bigpook;120158
Is that a 4 button trackball?

And a mouse.  It defies logic.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 10:14:53 »
What's stopping you from accidentally pressing the 'mouse' buttons when using it as a trackball?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 11:39:57 »
Quote from: ch_123;120263
What's stopping you from accidentally pressing the 'mouse' buttons when using it as a trackball?

From the picture, it looks like the bottom expands out to cause the buttons and the ball to recede into the case.
-

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 11:51:47 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;120269
From the picture, it looks like the bottom expands out to cause the buttons and the ball to recede into the case.

Because of this, it looks awfully uncomfortable to use as a mouse.  It's a neat idea nonetheless.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 11:53:29 »
No, I meant the other way around... I see the way the bottom can expand out to cover the trackball buttons when it's being used as a mouse. I was referring to when it's being used as a trackball. The buttons seem to be pressing directly against the desk...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 11:56:03 »
Oh, 10-4, I got you now.  Yeah, you're right.  It does look like you'd be pressing the mouse-side buttons in trackball mode.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 12:39:10 »
They could have used mercury switches to disable whatever buttons were pointing down, but I suspect they took the simpler approach and made you push the buttons below surface level to activate them.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 12:43:52 »
I have a Logitech Trackman Wheel (wired) and I love it. I had no "adjustment period" it has always been intuitive for me.

I can't seem to find a resolution spec for it anywhere though. Does anybody here know?

EDIT: According to an old review I just found it's supposed to light up. Mine never has, since new! Weird.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2009, 13:32:15 by 1839cc »
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 17:52:59 »
Quote from: webwit;120367
I haven't seen this trackman before.

Now taking bets.
  • Ultra-wide angle lens: 4:1
  • Photoshop: 2:1 on.
  • Trick lighting: 6:1
  • Real thing: 5:1

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 18:07:18 »
I doubt it looks as bulbous in real life. It would be very uncomfortable if it were. Like a topless model who's overdone the implants, if it's too big for your hands then what's the point?

Just to prove the point (no pun intended)...

Try not to have nightmares.

Edit> If the rumours are true, this model is also available for free pickup. :laugh:
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2009, 18:26:50 by Rajagra »